|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seeing the world as mechanical is also known as what?
2. A group of the intellectuals thought the means of production needed to be destroyed and that individuals should do what?
(a) Go back to being slaves.
(b) Go back to being artisans and farmers.
(c) Go back to being in small family groups.
(d) Go back to being hunters and gatherers.
3. Absolute liberty was reached through what, according to Hegel?
(a) The French Revolution and the Prussian state.
(b) The Industrial Revolution and the Russian state.
(c) The Technological Revolution and the French state.
(d) The Marxist Revolution and the German state.
4. The capitalist figures in the price of production, hidden costs, and his own profit when deciding the value of a product. What keeps the capitalist's profits growing?
(a) The worker's labor power.
(b) The efficiency at which he works.
(c) The desire for the product.
(d) The increase in interest in the product.
5. What is Rius' simple definition of capitalism?
(a) Someone who owns and sells products.
(b) Someone buys to sell again at a profit.
(c) Someone who hires employees.
(d) Someone who works for himself.
6. What is the only solution to Engels and Marx for fixing humanity's problems?
(a) Change the system.
(b) Encourage religion and the Golden Rule.
(c) Change people's mindsets.
(d) Encourage capitalists to take care of their workers.
7. Why would Hegel believe that a worker should not worry about the material?
(a) Only the owner should worry.
(b) The worker does not have the power to change anything.
(c) Only the spiritual matters.
(d) Worrying does not solve problems.
8. Hegel was attacked for these thoughts. Why?
(a) Largely because he was wrong.
(b) Largely because he used the dialectical method.
(c) Largely because his beliefs went against more powerful individuals.
(d) Largely because he was considered insane.
9. Of what is Thales the father?
10. What is Vico's first stage?
(d) Hunter gatherer.
11. With this philosophy of seeing everything as mechanical, things are immutable or _____________________.
(b) Usually changing.
(d) Rarely changing.
12. Marx and Engels used dialectics. What are dialectics?
(a) Argument that brings out the flaws in another's reasoning.
(b) The language of philosophers.
(c) Different versions of the same language.
(d) Explanations for one's beliefs.
13. How did Spinoza think of God?
(a) As the Almighty.
(b) As a myth.
(c) As a leader of men.
(d) As a spiritual principle.
14. What is meant by mechanistic?
(a) From the perspective of a worker.
(b) Someone who fixes machinery.
(c) Examining everything from a worker's perspective.
(d) Examining everything from a mechanical point of view.
15. Increasing the efficiency of the work and the worker's productive output does what?
(a) Puts money in the hands of both the capitalist and the worker.
(b) Puts money in the hands of the workers.
(c) Causes more stress on the worker.
(d) Puts money in the capitalist's wallet and not the hands of the worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Can capitalism solve the problems of humanity?
2. When does alienation occur?
3. The dialectical method views everything as ____________________.
4. Who were the individuals who tried to find logical explanations for natural events?
5. Why is a worker's labor power a commodity in a capitalist state?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)