|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The price of a commodity or product is created through what?
(b) A recession.
(d) Natural disasters.
2. The Communist Manifesto was a call for all workers to do what?
(a) Unite against capitalism.
(b) Consider Communism.
(c) Form unions.
(d) Listen to Marx.
3. Many, such as Socrates, were ___________________ for their views.
4. Vico suggested that the history of man passes through how many different stages?
5. Why does Marx not believe that simply raising the workers' salaries would change the situation for the worker?
(a) The capitalists will also want a raise.
(b) The capitalists will not raise workers' salaries.
(c) The workers do not want more money. They want to work less.
(d) The capitalist will not accept making less profit and will raise prices or find other ways of making sure that the rise in salary does not affect his bottom line.
6. What is the only solution to Engels and Marx for fixing humanity's problems?
(a) Change the system.
(b) Encourage capitalists to take care of their workers.
(c) Change people's mindsets.
(d) Encourage religion and the Golden Rule.
7. Marx's theories were leading him away from what?
(a) Practical philosophy.
(b) His predecessors.
(c) His original beliefs.
(d) Pure philosophy.
8. What was the counter attack of science and reason against religious fanaticism and dogma?
(a) The Middle Ages.
(b) The Neoclassical Period.
(c) The Romantic Period.
(d) The Renaissance.
9. What is Vico's first stage?
(b) Hunter gatherer.
10. What did Pythagoras argue?
(a) The earth was not at the center of the universe.
(b) The earth is round.
(c) The earth is the center of the universe.
(d) Formulas can be used in mathematics to discover new answers.
11. As the worker is not paid enough to meet his basic needs, he is forced to do what?
(a) Continue working at the low wage.
(b) Change jobs.
(c) Go on strike.
12. After the Greek epoch, the so-called Age of Faith occurred during what period?
(a) The Roman Empire.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The Ottoman Empire.
(d) The Italian Renaissance.
13. What increases alienation?
(a) The lack of ownership.
(c) Private ownership.
(d) The lack of support groups.
14. Descartes used a _______________ logic to examine the world.
15. What is Rius' simple definition of capitalism?
(a) Someone who hires employees.
(b) Someone who owns and sells products.
(c) Someone who works for himself.
(d) Someone buys to sell again at a profit.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the aspects of most religions was a faith in some sort of afterlife. How did the Egyptians believe they had the hope of a better afterlife?
2. Why is a worker's labor power a commodity in a capitalist state?
3. If power was in the hands of the people, it was what?
4. Giambattista Vico produced some _____________________ during this time, although he is not as well-known.
5. Aristotle argued that social conflict occurred because of what reason?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)