|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the qualities unique in children, what else does the Montessori method focus on?
2. According to Montessori, what is different in the way adults work compared to children?
3. What does Standing state, in Book 1, Chapter 2 , Montessori was a champion for?
4. From ages 0-3, Montessori considered the Absorbent Mind; what is another term for the absorbent mind?
5. According to Montessori, when does the second epoch of development begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Montessori use tool in teaching abstract ideas?
2. What does Standing make clear about the content of this book?
3. According to Montessori, why are the different types of metamorphosis important in education?
4. Based on the preface to this book, what is significant about the work Montessori did?
5. What type of offers did Montessori receive to travel to America and continue her work there?
6. According to Montessori, how is the cycle of work different between adults and children?
7. According to Montessori, why is human development compared to a succession of new births?
8. According to Montessori, what is the difference between an external and internal aim to work?
9. In "Development," Standing notes a crossroads in Montessori's life. What was this crossroad and the result?
10. What was the result of Montessori's work with the children in Rome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Montessori was a school reformer. How were children treated and what were schools like during her time that would classify her as a reformer? Explain your answer, using information from the book as support.
Essay Topic 2
What is the point of contact in the Montessori classroom? Discuss how point of contact initiates precision and helps development and how teachers establish point of contact among their students. Use information from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There is an example in the book that describes the reaction to something spilling in a Montessori classroom. The reaction of the child and the teacher in this instance is very different in a Montessori classroom compared to that in a traditional classroom. Why does Standing discuss this specific example? Use the book to provide support in your explanation for how the various reactions to this situation may affect the child involved.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)