|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only organization designed to represent and promote the principles of the Montessori method?
2. Who, according to Montessori, offers profound insight into the truths of human nature?
3. What did Montessori feel was the problem when children do not want to work on their own?
4. What does Standing state is the strength of this book?
5. Where did Montessori find work after completing her schooling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the first stage of development called the Absorbent Mind?
2. How did Montessori suggest the various sensitive periods in infants should be fostered?
3. What did other professionals, including other teachers of Montessori's time, assume about Monetessori's work as a teacher?
4. What was the result of Montessori's work with the children in Rome?
5. In "Development," Standing notes a crossroads in Montessori's life. What was this crossroad and the result?
6. Why does Standing suggest that Montessori was fortunate when it came to education?
7. According to Montessori, children have an interesting concept of time; how is this concept different from that of an adult?
8. What is the significance of children being allowed to work spontaneously on those thing they are interested in?
9. What type of offers did Montessori receive to travel to America and continue her work there?
10. What connection was drawn between the Montessori method and different types of students?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Montessori preferred to work with children and she even recognized the vast differences between children and adults. According to Standing, why does she then spend time lecturing intentionally? What is her aim at these lectures and do you think based on the reading in the book and the current popularity of this method that she was successful?
Essay Topic 2
Standing chooses to compare Montessori and Froebel's educational techniques. Discuss the validity of this comparison since the Froebel method is no longer used. Why does Standing choose this comparison? In making this comparison what is learned about the Montessori method? Use information from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think it is important to discuss the spiritual health of a teacher in the Montessori classroom? How and why does religion play a role in the education of children in these classrooms? Use the information provided by Standing to support your answer.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)