|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the time Montessori began working, who was making great efforts to understand the mentally ill?
2. What type of environment does a Montessori school provide?
3. What is a famous characteristic of the Montessori school?
4. In "Exploration, Development," how does Standing describe the type of work that occurs among the children?
5. After finding it too difficult to continue her work in Italy, where did Montessori go to continue her work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the first stage of development called the Absorbent Mind?
2. Why does Standing suggest that Montessori was fortunate when it came to education?
3. What type of offers did Montessori receive to travel to America and continue her work there?
4. What does Standing mean when he refers to the rhythm of a child's life?
5. According to Montessori, when does conscious effort of development and learning begin?
6. What is the significance of children being allowed to work spontaneously on those thing they are interested in?
7. What connection was drawn between the Montessori method and different types of students?
8. According to Montessori, why were children often misunderstood?
9. Based on the preface to this book, what is significant about the work Montessori did?
10. According to Montessori, why are infants and children considered explorers and philosophers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Standing notes that some educators who open a Montessori school do not completely understand the true principles of the Montessori method and do not properly teach the method. Where does the confusion lie concerning these individuals? It is in the incorrect use of this method? What is or can be done to correct this problem?
Essay Topic 2
According to Standing, what is the general view of Montessori schools today? What type of challenges do you think these schools continue to face?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the discovery that occurs in children during learning and the effects this discovery has on their development. Consider factors discussed in the book such as how they made the discovery, on their own or with help, how long it took to make the discovery, and a child's interest in making the discovery.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)