Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
2. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
3. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
4. Who does Hornblower and his wife meet at one of the state functions?
5. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
Essay Topic 1
What are conditions like for the common sailor in the 19th century? What are the pluses and minuses? Based on C. S. Forester's depiction, is being a sailor a good career choice? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the typical conditions on a British ship of the line as experienced by a seaman and an officer. Why are things so different? How much of this can be attributed to class inequality?
Essay Topic 3
How does C. S. Forester use Hornblower's actions to reveal his character? List some examples.
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)