|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the news from the war front (March 1814)?
2. Who brings news that England is sending a VIP?
3. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
4. What type of reception does Hornblower receive when he arrives at the Chateau de Graçay?
5. What does the Comte think of Brown's plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How well do you think someone like Hornblower does in modern society? Is he adaptable enough? Is Hornblower the type of person who succeeds no matter what time period he lives in? Why? Why not? Support your position with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How self-aware is Hornblower of his own character traits? Do you think Hornblower develops more fully as a character over the course of this book? How "real" of a person is he? How does he compare to characters in other novels of the period?
Essay Topic 3
How does C. S. Forester use Hornblower's actions to reveal his character? List some examples.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)