|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
2. How does Hornblower know the Comte de Graçay?
3. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
4. Although news is uncertain, which of the following is confirmed as fact while Hornblower is at the Chateau?
5. What happens when Hornblower arrives at Rouen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Hornblower captured at the end of the book?
2. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
3. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia sent to bolster Le Havre's defenses? Why?
4. What does Napoleon's troops do to further decimate the morale and number of the Comte and his followers? Why?
5. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
6. In the end, no fighting is necessary at Rouen, why?
7. How does Hornblower react to Barbara's presence?
8. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
9. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
10. Why does Hornblower's decision to go back to France make Brown so happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of characters die in this book, including Hornblower's mistress and his best friend. Why do you think C. S. Forester kills off these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why does C. S. Forester use historical figures and events in his books? How accurate are his depictions?
Essay Topic 3
How does C. S. Forester use Hornblower's actions to reveal his character? List some examples.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)