|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
2. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
3. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
4. Who does Hornblower and his wife meet at one of the state functions?
5. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
Essay Topic 1
How important is social standing in the 19th century? Does Hornblower do as well in his career if he is born a peer? Does he do better?
Essay Topic 2
How self-aware is Hornblower of his own character traits? Do you think Hornblower develops more fully as a character over the course of this book? How "real" of a person is he? How does he compare to characters in other novels of the period?
Essay Topic 3
Why does C. S. Forester use historical figures and events in his books? How accurate are his depictions?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)