|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower end up doing about the mutineers?
2. Who does Hornblower have on board the Porta Coeli?
3. What is the news from the war front (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
4. Why is Hornblower angry at the Duke d'Angoulême?
5. What is the first indication that things are not going well for the attack force sent to fight Napoleon's troops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Napoleon Bonaparte's response to Le Havre's liberation? Why?
2. Why does Hornblower's decision to go back to France make Brown so happy?
3. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
4. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia sent to bolster Le Havre's defenses? Why?
5. How does Hornblower react to Barbara's presence?
6. Two important historical events follow soon after Hornblower's capture of Rouen. What are they? Why are they significant?
7. What does Napoleon's troops do to further decimate the morale and number of the Comte and his followers? Why?
8. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
9. Why doesn't Hornblower go to Vienna with his wife Barbara?
10. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are conditions like for the common sailor in the 19th century? What are the pluses and minuses? Based on C. S. Forester's depiction, is being a sailor a good career choice? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Like most of the people in the novel, Hornblower's life is shaped by the war between France and England. Describe Hornblower's attitude towards the war throughout this book. Is he conflicted about the end of the war? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How well do you think someone like Hornblower does in modern society? Is he adaptable enough? Is Hornblower the type of person who succeeds no matter what time period he lives in? Why? Why not? Support your position with examples from the book.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)