|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the local magistrate tell Hornblower after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
2. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
3. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
4. How does Marie die?
5. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower note about the church service he accompanies the Duke d'Angoulême to? Why is this significant?
2. What does the Mayor of Le Havre do when he meets Hornblower? Why is this significant?
3. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
4. With Le Havre declaring for the French King, what does Hornblower's superiors in England do?
5. What is Napoleon Bonaparte's response to Le Havre's liberation? Why?
6. In the end, no fighting is necessary at Rouen, why?
7. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
8. On the evening of Brown's marriage to his sweetheart, the Comte relays some bad news to Hornblower. What is the news and how does it affect Hornblower?
9. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
10. Why does Hornblower's decision to go back to France make Brown so happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of characters die in this book, including Hornblower's mistress and his best friend. Why do you think C. S. Forester kills off these characters?
Essay Topic 2
As a character, Hornblower is all about duty and honor. Given that he cheats on his wife, do you think Hornblower is still an honorable man? Why? Why not? Is this in line with societal norms?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the typical conditions on a British ship of the line as experienced by a seaman and an officer. Why are things so different? How much of this can be attributed to class inequality?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)