|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Napoleon do (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
2. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
3. What does Hornblower have to do for the royal banquet that he particularly dislikes?
4. Who brings news that England is sending a VIP?
5. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Napoleon Bonaparte's response to Le Havre's liberation? Why?
2. In the end, no fighting is necessary at Rouen, why?
3. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
4. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
5. What does the Mayor of Le Havre do when he meets Hornblower? Why is this significant?
6. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
7. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
8. What does Hornblower find in Nevers?
9. How is Hornblower captured at the end of the book?
10. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a character, Hornblower is all about duty and honor. Given that he cheats on his wife, do you think Hornblower is still an honorable man? Why? Why not? Is this in line with societal norms?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Hornblower's feelings towards his wife change throughout this book. How much of this is due to Barbara and how much is it due to Hornblower's own intimacy issues?
Essay Topic 3
Hornblower does not see himself as a hero as others do. Do you think he is? Why? Why not? Find examples in the book to support your position.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)