|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hornblower particularly upset with the news about Captain Bush?
2. Where does Hornblower go first with his royal guest?
3. Why is Hornblower angry at the Duke d'Angoulême?
4. What does the Comte think of Brown's plans?
5. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Hornblower go to Vienna with his wife Barbara?
2. Why is Hornblower conflicted about going back to France?
3. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia sent to bolster Le Havre's defenses? Why?
4. What happens at the welcoming ceremony the Mayor of Le Havre conducts?
5. In the end, no fighting is necessary at Rouen, why?
6. With the wars end, what decision does Barbara make that puts a further strain on her relationship with Hornblower?
7. What does the Mayor of Le Havre do when he meets Hornblower? Why is this significant?
8. On the evening of Brown's marriage to his sweetheart, the Comte relays some bad news to Hornblower. What is the news and how does it affect Hornblower?
9. What happens to Marie at the end of the book and why is this significant?
10. What does Hornblower find in Nevers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Like most of the people in the novel, Hornblower's life is shaped by the war between France and England. Describe Hornblower's attitude towards the war throughout this book. Is he conflicted about the end of the war? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How self-aware is Hornblower of his own character traits? Do you think Hornblower develops more fully as a character over the course of this book? How "real" of a person is he? How does he compare to characters in other novels of the period?
Essay Topic 3
How well do you think someone like Hornblower does in modern society? Is he adaptable enough? Is Hornblower the type of person who succeeds no matter what time period he lives in? Why? Why not? Support your position with examples from the book.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)