|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hornblower know the Comte de Graçay?
2. Who accompanies Hornblower on this trip to the Chateau de Graçay?
3. What is Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay's relationship to the Comte de Graçay?
4. Who does Hornblower have on board the Porta Coeli?
5. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
Short Essay Questions
1. With Napoleon in power again, what does Hornblower do?
2. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
3. Why is Hornblower conflicted about going back to France?
4. Two important historical events follow soon after Hornblower's capture of Rouen. What are they? Why are they significant?
5. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
6. What does the Mayor of Le Havre do when he meets Hornblower? Why is this significant?
7. What is LeBrun able to do to make it easier for Hornblower to secure the harbor defenses at Le Havre?
8. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
9. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
10. How are Hornblower and the Comte saved from execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the characteristics of a good leader? Compare the captains in this book: Bush, Freeman and Chadwick. Are they good leaders or not? What about the Comte and the Duke and Duchess of d'Angoulême?
Essay Topic 2
Hornblower does not see himself as a hero as others do. Do you think he is? Why? Why not? Find examples in the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Hornblower's feelings towards his wife change throughout this book. How much of this is due to Barbara and how much is it due to Hornblower's own intimacy issues?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)