|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although news is uncertain, which of the following is confirmed as fact while Hornblower is at the Chateau?
2. What does Hornblower have to do for the royal banquet that he particularly dislikes?
3. Where does Hornblower send the Porta Coeli as part of his plan for the militia?
4. What news arrives to make Hornblower's plan for the militia an almost guaranteed success?
5. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
2. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
3. How are Hornblower and the Comte saved from execution?
4. On the evening of Brown's marriage to his sweetheart, the Comte relays some bad news to Hornblower. What is the news and how does it affect Hornblower?
5. Two important historical events follow soon after Hornblower's capture of Rouen. What are they? Why are they significant?
6. With Le Havre declaring for the French King, what does Hornblower's superiors in England do?
7. Why doesn't Hornblower go to Vienna with his wife Barbara?
8. What happens to Marie at the end of the book and why is this significant?
9. How is Hornblower captured at the end of the book?
10. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of characters die in this book, including Hornblower's mistress and his best friend. Why do you think C. S. Forester kills off these characters?
Essay Topic 2
As a character, Hornblower is all about duty and honor. Given that he cheats on his wife, do you think Hornblower is still an honorable man? Why? Why not? Is this in line with societal norms?
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of a good leader? Compare the captains in this book: Bush, Freeman and Chadwick. Are they good leaders or not? What about the Comte and the Duke and Duchess of d'Angoulême?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)