|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hornblower not happy and is awkward with his wife when she visits him at Le Havre?
2. What does the Duchess appoint the Comte de Graçay?
3. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
4. What is the date that Hornblower notes is the final day of the insurgent effort?
5. What does Hornblower do instead of going to the Congress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Mayor of Le Havre do when he meets Hornblower? Why is this significant?
2. In the end, no fighting is necessary at Rouen, why?
3. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
4. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
5. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
6. With Napoleon in power again, what does Hornblower do?
7. With the wars end, what decision does Barbara make that puts a further strain on her relationship with Hornblower?
8. What does Napoleon's troops do to further decimate the morale and number of the Comte and his followers? Why?
9. Why does Hornblower's decision to go back to France make Brown so happy?
10. How are Hornblower and the Comte saved from execution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How important is social standing in the 19th century? Does Hornblower do as well in his career if he is born a peer? Does he do better?
Essay Topic 2
Why does C. S. Forester use historical figures and events in his books? How accurate are his depictions?
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of a good leader? Compare the captains in this book: Bush, Freeman and Chadwick. Are they good leaders or not? What about the Comte and the Duke and Duchess of d'Angoulême?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)