|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
2. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
3. What does Barbara do that contributes to the drifting apart of her relationship with Hornblower?
4. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
5. What happens to Hornblower after Marie dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the evening of Brown's marriage to his sweetheart, the Comte relays some bad news to Hornblower. What is the news and how does it affect Hornblower?
2. What happens to Marie at the end of the book and why is this significant?
3. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
4. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
5. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
6. Why doesn't Hornblower go to Vienna with his wife Barbara?
7. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
8. Why does Hornblower's decision to go back to France make Brown so happy?
9. What does Hornblower find in Nevers?
10. What does Hornblower note about the church service he accompanies the Duke d'Angoulême to? Why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the characteristics of a good leader? Compare the captains in this book: Bush, Freeman and Chadwick. Are they good leaders or not? What about the Comte and the Duke and Duchess of d'Angoulême?
Essay Topic 2
How well do you think someone like Hornblower does in modern society? Is he adaptable enough? Is Hornblower the type of person who succeeds no matter what time period he lives in? Why? Why not? Support your position with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does C. S. Forester use historical figures and events in his books? How accurate are his depictions?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)