|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
2. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
3. Who leaves the Chateau with Hornblower?
4. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
5. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
2. With Le Havre declaring for the French King, what does Hornblower's superiors in England do?
3. What happens at the welcoming ceremony the Mayor of Le Havre conducts?
4. Why doesn't Hornblower go to Vienna with his wife Barbara?
5. On the evening of Brown's marriage to his sweetheart, the Comte relays some bad news to Hornblower. What is the news and how does it affect Hornblower?
6. How does Hornblower react to Barbara's presence?
7. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
8. With Napoleon in power again, what does Hornblower do?
9. With the wars end, what decision does Barbara make that puts a further strain on her relationship with Hornblower?
10. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does C. S. Forester use Hornblower's actions to reveal his character? List some examples.
Essay Topic 2
Why does C. S. Forester use historical figures and events in his books? How accurate are his depictions?
Essay Topic 3
What are conditions like for the common sailor in the 19th century? What are the pluses and minuses? Based on C. S. Forester's depiction, is being a sailor a good career choice? Why? Why not?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)