|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the night of Brown's wedding, what does the Comte tell Hornblower?
2. What does placards promise for the Comte's followers?
3. What does Hornblower and the group try to do to evade capture after being cornered by Napoleon's troops?
4. What does Hornblower do at this point when he notes that their insurgency is at an end?
5. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower find in Nevers?
2. With Napoleon in power again, what does Hornblower do?
3. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
4. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
5. Why does Hornblower's decision to go back to France make Brown so happy?
6. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
7. In the end, no fighting is necessary at Rouen, why?
8. What is LeBrun able to do to make it easier for Hornblower to secure the harbor defenses at Le Havre?
9. What happens at the welcoming ceremony the Mayor of Le Havre conducts?
10. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Hornblower's feelings towards his wife change throughout this book. How much of this is due to Barbara and how much is it due to Hornblower's own intimacy issues?
Essay Topic 2
Why does C. S. Forester use historical figures and events in his books? How accurate are his depictions?
Essay Topic 3
How well do you think someone like Hornblower does in modern society? Is he adaptable enough? Is Hornblower the type of person who succeeds no matter what time period he lives in? Why? Why not? Support your position with examples from the book.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)