|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the many things Hornblower does in his new position in Le Havre?
2. Why is royalty coming to Le Havre?
3. Although news is uncertain, which of the following is confirmed as fact while Hornblower is at the Chateau?
4. What does the local magistrate tell Hornblower after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
5. Why does a militia arrive in Le Havre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Marie at the end of the book and why is this significant?
2. With the wars end, what decision does Barbara make that puts a further strain on her relationship with Hornblower?
3. With Napoleon in power again, what does Hornblower do?
4. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia sent to bolster Le Havre's defenses? Why?
5. How is Hornblower captured at the end of the book?
6. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
7. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
8. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
9. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
10. Why does Hornblower's decision to go back to France make Brown so happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a character, Hornblower is all about duty and honor. Given that he cheats on his wife, do you think Hornblower is still an honorable man? Why? Why not? Is this in line with societal norms?
Essay Topic 2
A number of characters die in this book, including Hornblower's mistress and his best friend. Why do you think C. S. Forester kills off these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the two women in this book, Barbara and Marie, and their effect on Hornblower. Who is more typical of a woman of this time period? Barbara or Marie? Why and why not?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)