|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the force to attack the troops Napoleon is sending to take back Le Havre?
2. Where does Hornblower go first with his royal guest?
3. What is the news from the war front (April 1814) not long after Hornblower secures Rouen?
4. Where does Hornblower send the Porta Coeli as part of his plan for the militia?
5. What is left of the Comte's party, where do they find themselves cornered?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the evening of Brown's marriage to his sweetheart, the Comte relays some bad news to Hornblower. What is the news and how does it affect Hornblower?
2. What is Napoleon Bonaparte's response to Le Havre's liberation? Why?
3. What does the Mayor of Le Havre do when he meets Hornblower? Why is this significant?
4. What happens at the welcoming ceremony the Mayor of Le Havre conducts?
5. What does Hornblower find in Nevers?
6. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
7. Why is Hornblower conflicted about going back to France?
8. In the end, no fighting is necessary at Rouen, why?
9. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
10. Why does Hornblower's decision to go back to France make Brown so happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are conditions like for the common sailor in the 19th century? What are the pluses and minuses? Based on C. S. Forester's depiction, is being a sailor a good career choice? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the typical conditions on a British ship of the line as experienced by a seaman and an officer. Why are things so different? How much of this can be attributed to class inequality?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the scarf that Hornblower's wife makes and gives to him as a memento?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)