|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hornblower's relationship to Marie la Vicomtesse de Graçay?
2. What does the local magistrate tell the Comte after he is captured by Napoleon's troops?
3. What happens to Brown's wife, Annette?
4. What does Hornblower demand of the Mayor of Rouen?
5. What saves Hornblower, the Comte, and Brown from execution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hornblower try to save Brown's life?
2. Who surprises Hornblower by visiting him at Le Havre? Why is this surprising?
3. What is LeBrun able to do to make it easier for Hornblower to secure the harbor defenses at Le Havre?
4. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
5. How is Hornblower captured at the end of the book?
6. Two important historical events follow soon after Hornblower's capture of Rouen. What are they? Why are they significant?
7. On the evening of Brown's marriage to his sweetheart, the Comte relays some bad news to Hornblower. What is the news and how does it affect Hornblower?
8. What happens at the welcoming ceremony the Mayor of Le Havre conducts?
9. What does Napoleon's troops do to further decimate the morale and number of the Comte and his followers? Why?
10. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are conditions like for the common sailor in the 19th century? What are the pluses and minuses? Based on C. S. Forester's depiction, is being a sailor a good career choice? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does C. S. Forester use Hornblower's actions to reveal his character? List some examples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the typical conditions on a British ship of the line as experienced by a seaman and an officer. Why are things so different? How much of this can be attributed to class inequality?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)