|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they hold the Congress to decide the fate of post-war Europe?
2. Why is Hornblower not happy and is awkward with his wife when she visits him at Le Havre?
3. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Duke d'Angoulême?
4. How does the Hornblower's impasse with the Duke d'Angoulême resolve itself?
5. At the night of Brown's wedding, what does the Comte tell Hornblower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower have the English troops do at the end of the Mayor Momas' ceremony, and why is this significant?
2. What does Hornblower plan to do with the militia sent to bolster Le Havre's defenses? Why?
3. Two important historical events follow soon after Hornblower's capture of Rouen. What are they? Why are they significant?
4. What does Hornblower note about the church service he accompanies the Duke d'Angoulême to? Why is this significant?
5. What is LeBrun able to do to make it easier for Hornblower to secure the harbor defenses at Le Havre?
6. Why is Hornblower conflicted about going back to France?
7. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
8. How does Hornblower try to save Brown's life?
9. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
10. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Like most of the people in the novel, Hornblower's life is shaped by the war between France and England. Describe Hornblower's attitude towards the war throughout this book. Is he conflicted about the end of the war? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What are conditions like for the common sailor in the 19th century? What are the pluses and minuses? Based on C. S. Forester's depiction, is being a sailor a good career choice? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Hornblower's feelings towards his wife change throughout this book. How much of this is due to Barbara and how much is it due to Hornblower's own intimacy issues?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)