|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower plan to do about Napoleon's show of force?
2. Where does Hornblower go first with his royal guest?
3. Who is with Hornblower the last time he is at the Chateau de Graçay?
4. Although news is uncertain, which of the following is confirmed as fact while Hornblower is at the Chateau?
5. How is Hornblower recognized for his services?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the evening of Brown's marriage to his sweetheart, the Comte relays some bad news to Hornblower. What is the news and how does it affect Hornblower?
2. Why doesn't Hornblower go to Vienna with his wife Barbara?
3. How does Hornblower ruin the evening for his wife at the Duke's banquet and reception? Why is this significant?
4. What does Hornblower come to realize about his wife and himself?
5. What are some of the reasons that Hornblower doesn't return immediately to England?
6. What is LeBrun able to do to make it easier for Hornblower to secure the harbor defenses at Le Havre?
7. Two important historical events follow soon after Hornblower's capture of Rouen. What are they? Why are they significant?
8. What does Napoleon's troops do to further decimate the morale and number of the Comte and his followers? Why?
9. How does C. S. Forester show that the English admire and think well of Hornblower and his actions? What does this show us about Hornblower?
10. What happens to Marie at the end of the book and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hornblower does not see himself as a hero as others do. Do you think he is? Why? Why not? Find examples in the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
How does C. S. Forester use Hornblower's actions to reveal his character? List some examples.
Essay Topic 3
What are conditions like for the common sailor in the 19th century? What are the pluses and minuses? Based on C. S. Forester's depiction, is being a sailor a good career choice? Why? Why not?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)