|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hornblower read in the newspaper from England?
2. What does Hornblower do when he hears the latest news about Napoleon regaining power?
3. What happens to Captain Bush after the encounter with Napoleon's troops at Caudebec?
4. Who does Hornblower and his wife meet at one of the state functions?
5. What happens when Hornblower and the French troops exchange gun fire?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the typical conditions on a British ship of the line as experienced by a seaman and an officer. Why are things so different? How much of this can be attributed to class inequality?
Essay Topic 2
C. S. Forester wrote this book in the 20th century about people and events in the 19th century. How does C. S. Forester use language to give life to the period? Is he successful?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the two women in this book, Barbara and Marie, and their effect on Hornblower. Who is more typical of a woman of this time period? Barbara or Marie? Why and why not?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)