|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lebrun tell Hornblower about Baron Momas?
2. Where is the Flame when Hornblower sets out to meet her?
3. What do the crew of the Flame say in the letter they send to the Admiralty?
4. What is Hornblower ordered to do with the ship His Majesty's Flame?
5. What is one of the last things LeBrun does before he is captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Other than the prize money, why does Hornblower want to capture the French East India ship?
2. After the fighting, how many ships does Hornblower end up with and what does he do with them?
3. Why does C. S. Forester make Hornblower prone to seasickness?
4. What does the Admiralty do on Hornblower's news of the Flame and the possible surrender of Le Havre?
5. How does C. S. Forester show that Hornblower has the "common touch" in his interactions with men?
6. Hornblower thinks the mutineers are mistreated, but he still suppresses the mutiny, why?
7. Captain Freeman offers to read Hornblower's fortune using tarot cards. What does he see and how does Hornblower react? Why does C. S. Forester include this scene in the book?
8. How does C. S. Forester quickly establish Hornblower's rank and importance?
9. As a midshipman, Hornblower is atypical, why?
10. How does Captain Bush react to Captain Freeman's talent for reading fortunes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Like most of the people in the novel, Hornblower's life is shaped by the war between France and England. Describe Hornblower's attitude towards the war throughout this book. Is he conflicted about the end of the war? Why?
Essay Topic 2
C. S. Forester does not make Hornblower perfect. What are some of his flaws? Why does Hornblower have flaws?
Essay Topic 3
As a character, Hornblower is all about duty and honor. Given that he cheats on his wife, do you think Hornblower is still an honorable man? Why? Why not? Is this in line with societal norms?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)