|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nathaniel Sweet, the leader of the mutineers, die?
2. What does Lieutenant Freeman offer to do for the other captains?
3. Why is Hornblower talking to Lebrun in chapter eight?
4. What does Lebrun want for helping Hornblower?
5. What else does Admiral Pellow send as reinforcements?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a midshipman, Hornblower is atypical, why?
2. What does Hornblower think of the war and why is this rather ironic?
3. What does Hornblower think of Captain Bush's reaction to Freeman's fortune-telling abilities?
4. Why is suppressing the mutineers particularly difficult for Hornblower?
5. What does the Admiralty do on Hornblower's news of the Flame and the possible surrender of Le Havre?
6. What type of deal is offered to Hornblower on behalf of the Mayor of Le Havre? Why?
7. What happens to show Hornblower that the French may be just as tired of the war as the English?
8. Why is Hornblower worried about the reactions of the Porta Coeli's crew to the mutiny on the Flame?
9. What is Hornblower supposed to do with the mutineers? Why is this important?
10. What is the point of showing Hornblower's daily bathing ritual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does C. S. Forester use historical figures and events in his books? How accurate are his depictions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Hornblower's feelings towards his wife change throughout this book. How much of this is due to Barbara and how much is it due to Hornblower's own intimacy issues?
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of a good leader? Compare the captains in this book: Bush, Freeman and Chadwick. Are they good leaders or not? What about the Comte and the Duke and Duchess of d'Angoulême?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)