|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Hornblower his next assignment in the beginning of the book?
2. How does Nathaniel Sweet, the leader of the mutineers, die?
3. What does the Flame do when they sail close to Le Havre?
4. What happens as the Porta Coeli sights the Flame?
5. What does Hornblower do with Sweet's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hornblower worried about the reactions of the Porta Coeli's crew to the mutiny on the Flame?
2. What happens to some of the other mutineers from the Flame?
3. What does Hornblower do with Lieutenant Chadwick, the one who loses control of the Flame through mutiny?
4. After the fighting, how many ships does Hornblower end up with and what does he do with them?
5. Why is suppressing the mutineers particularly difficult for Hornblower?
6. Hornblower is surprised after speaking with the leader of the mutineers, why?
7. What happens to the mutineers after the French East India ship is captured?
8. What is Hornblower's attitude towards the mutineers?
9. Why does C. S. Forester make Hornblower prone to seasickness?
10. What happens to show Hornblower that the French may be just as tired of the war as the English?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hornblower does not see himself as a hero as others do. Do you think he is? Why? Why not? Find examples in the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the typical conditions on a British ship of the line as experienced by a seaman and an officer. Why are things so different? How much of this can be attributed to class inequality?
Essay Topic 3
How does C. S. Forester use Hornblower's actions to reveal his character? List some examples.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)