|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does an English ship have a Spanish name - Porta Coeli?
2. Who gives Hornblower his next assignment in the beginning of the book?
3. What does Lebrun tell Hornblower about the sentiments of the Mayor and other prominent citizens of Le Havre?
4. What is one of the last things LeBrun does before he is captured?
5. Who is the captain of Porta Coeli?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Horatio Hornblower's state of mind at the beginning of the book? Why is he feeling this way?
2. What does Hornblower think of Captain Bush's reaction to Freeman's fortune-telling abilities?
3. What does Hornblower think of the war and why is this rather ironic?
4. What happens to some of the other mutineers from the Flame?
5. Other than the prize money, why does Hornblower want to capture the French East India ship?
6. Why is suppressing the mutineers particularly difficult for Hornblower?
7. What does Hornblower do with Lieutenant Chadwick, the one who loses control of the Flame through mutiny?
8. In addition to his rank, Hornblower is also well-connected through other ways, how?
9. What does LeBrun tell Hornblower about the latest imperial dispatches from Paris? What does this news suggest about the war?
10. After the fighting, how many ships does Hornblower end up with and what does he do with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are conditions like for the common sailor in the 19th century? What are the pluses and minuses? Based on C. S. Forester's depiction, is being a sailor a good career choice? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
As a character, Hornblower is all about duty and honor. Given that he cheats on his wife, do you think Hornblower is still an honorable man? Why? Why not? Is this in line with societal norms?
Essay Topic 3
What does Captain Freeman's fortune telling episode tell us about the Captains: Freeman, Hornblower, Bush, and Howard? What does it tell us about Hornblower?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)