|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Hornblower receive from one of the prisoners from the French East Indian ship?
(a) Le Havre plans to attack both the English ships.
(b) There is an outbreak of dysentery at Le Havre.
(c) The Mayor of Le Havre recently dies.
(d) Bonaparte loses another major battle at Leipzig.
2. What does Lebrun tell Hornblower about the latest imperial dispatches from Paris?
(a) Conscription is mandated for all.
(b) Taxes is repealed.
(c) Napoleon wins a crucial battle in Leipzig.
(d) The war is over.
3. Who is the Sovereign of the Order?
(a) King George.
(b) Queen Charlotte.
(c) Duke of Wellington.
(d) Prince Regent.
4. What is the name of Captain Bush's ship?
5. What does Lebrun tell Hornblower he can do?
(a) Tell him the schedules and locations of other French East Indian ship.
(b) Have Napoleon Bonaparte assassinated.
(c) Supply him with the best French brandy.
(d) Convince the Mayor to declare Le Havre for King Louis XVIII.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Hornblower and identifies himself as Captain of the Flame?
2. What does Lebrun tell Hornblower about the sentiments of the Mayor and other prominent citizens of Le Havre?
3. What is one of the last things LeBrun does before he is captured?
4. What does Hornblower do with the Flame's mutinous crew?
5. Why does Lord St. Vincent leave the church service?
Short Essay Questions
1. Captain Freeman offers to read Hornblower's fortune using tarot cards. What does he see and how does Hornblower react? Why does C. S. Forester include this scene in the book?
2. How does C. S. Forester show Hornblower's resourcefulness?
3. What does LeBrun tell Hornblower about the latest imperial dispatches from Paris? What does this news suggest about the war?
4. How does Captain Bush react to Captain Freeman's talent for reading fortunes?
5. Hornblower thinks the mutineers are mistreated, but he still suppresses the mutiny, why?
6. What does Hornblower do with Lieutenant Chadwick, the one who loses control of the Flame through mutiny?
7. As a midshipman, Hornblower is atypical, why?
8. What is the point of showing Hornblower's daily bathing ritual?
9. Why is Hornblower worried about the reactions of the Porta Coeli's crew to the mutiny on the Flame?
10. Why does C. S. Forester make Hornblower prone to seasickness?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)