|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the French do when the Flame starts sailing to shore?
(a) Fire the citadel's batteries.
(b) Send a welcoming committee of dignitaries.
(c) Ignore the ship.
(d) Send gun boats.
2. How does Hornblower bathe while on board ship?
(a) He has the crew hose him down with the wash-deck pump.
(b) He doesn't bathe.
(c) He has a bucket of sea water dumped over his head.
(d) He takes a daily swim instead of bathing.
3. What news does Hornblower receive from one of the prisoners from the French East Indian ship?
(a) The Mayor of Le Havre recently dies.
(b) Le Havre plans to attack both the English ships.
(c) Bonaparte loses another major battle at Leipzig.
(d) There is an outbreak of dysentery at Le Havre.
4. What is typical of Hornblower's share of prize money from a captured enemy ship?
(a) First choice of one item from the captured ship.
(b) As much as he considered fair; captain's discretion.
(c) About ten pounds, depending on the type of ship.
(d) As much as a thousand pounds, depending on the type of ship.
5. What else does Hornblower do to make his plan with the Porta Coeli masquerade work?
(a) Paint over the name of the ship.
(b) Have the crew clean up the ship.
(c) Get Lieutenant Freeman's agreement.
(d) Nothing, they are good to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lebrun tell Hornblower about the latest imperial dispatches from Paris?
2. What does Hornblower plan to do with the Porta Coeli, after he comes back from meeting with the mutineers?
3. Who acts as Hornblower's servant on board the Porta Coeli?
4. What type of ship is a French West Indiaman?
5. Why does the French react the way they do when the Flame sails into Le Havre?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to show Hornblower that the French may be just as tired of the war as the English?
2. Why does C. S. Forester make Hornblower prone to seasickness?
3. After the fighting, how many ships does Hornblower end up with and what does he do with them?
4. What happens to the mutineers after the French East India ship is captured?
5. Why is Hornblower worried about the reactions of the Porta Coeli's crew to the mutiny on the Flame?
6. As a midshipman, Hornblower is atypical, why?
7. Hornblower thinks the mutineers are mistreated, but he still suppresses the mutiny, why?
8. Why is suppressing the mutineers particularly difficult for Hornblower?
9. Being a sailor is dangerous and hard work, what do sailors expect in terms of monetary rewards?
10. How does C. S. Forester show that Hornblower has the "common touch" in his interactions with men?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)