|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Hornblower does when he returns from the Flame to the Porta Coeli?
(a) He orders the sailmaker to make four top sails.
(b) He writes a report to the Admiralty.
(c) He orders Brown to make him tea.
(d) He orders Freeman to fire on the Flame.
2. Who does Hornblower meet while walking on deck with Lieutenant Freeman?
(a) An old shipmate.
(b) His servant Brown who brings tea.
(c) Another passenger.
(d) Some of Freeman's officers.
3. Who is the captain of Porta Coeli?
(a) Lieutenant Freeman.
(b) Lieutenant Chadwick.
(c) Captain Bush.
(d) Lord St. Vincent.
4. What is Hornblower afraid of happening on the Flame?
(a) The crew hang Lieutenant Chadwick.
(b) The crew delibrately sink the ship.
(c) The crew set fire to the Flame.
(d) The crew surrenders to the French.
5. What type of ship is the Flame?
(a) A French gunboat.
(b) East Indian merchant ship.
(c) Eighteen-gun brig.
(d) Twenty-four gun brig.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Horatio Hornblower's rank?
2. What is the name of Captain Bush's ship?
3. What does Nathaniel Sweet show Hornblower that surprises him?
4. What happens as the Porta Coeli sights the Flame?
5. Why does Lord St. Vincent leave the church service?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hornblower's plan to deal with mutineers depend on?
2. What does Hornblower think of Captain Bush's reaction to Freeman's fortune-telling abilities?
3. Why is Hornblower worried about the reactions of the Porta Coeli's crew to the mutiny on the Flame?
4. Why does Hornblower kill Nathaniel Sweet, the leader of the mutineers?
5. What does the Admiralty do on Hornblower's news of the Flame and the possible surrender of Le Havre?
6. How does C. S. Forester show Hornblower's resourcefulness?
7. Why is suppressing the mutineers particularly difficult for Hornblower?
8. What happens to show Hornblower that the French may be just as tired of the war as the English?
9. What happens to some of the other mutineers from the Flame?
10. How does C. S. Forester show that Hornblower has the "common touch" in his interactions with men?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)