|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4 and 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hornblower know the captain of the Porta Coeli?
(a) He serves under Hornblower.
(b) Their wives are friends.
(c) They do not know each other.
(d) They are schoolmates.
2. What happens if a ship like Porta Coeli captures an enemy ship?
(a) The enemy ship is set on fire and sunk.
(b) The officers automatically get a promotion.
(c) The crew gets one hour to do as they like on the enemy ship.
(d) The officers and crew split the prize money from the sale and refit of the ship.
3. How does Hornblower know Lieutenant Augustine Chadwick?
(a) Their families have neighboring estates.
(b) Lieutenant Chadwick's wife is Hornblower's first cousin.
(c) They are schoolmates.
(d) They serve as midshipmen together on the same ship.
4. At the beginning of the book, Horatio Hornblower is not aboard a ship, why?
(a) He is recalled to answer charges of insurbordination.
(b) He is waiting for his ship to be repaired.
(c) He is attending a funeral of a friend at Westminster Abbey.
(d) He is still recuperating from his bout of typhus.
5. Who teaches Hornblower the technique of long splicing?
(b) His servant, Brown.
(c) Captain Sawyer.
(d) Lieutanent Chadwick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Hornblower his next assignment in the beginning of the book?
2. What is Hornblower ordered to do with the ship His Majesty's Flame?
3. How does the Porta Coeli crew feel about Hornblower?
4. What does Hornblower's wife make for him?
5. What does Hornblower tell the crew of the Porta Coeli, just before meeting up with the Flame?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)