|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of “The New F-Word”?
2. The author asserts in Chapter 9: “The Myth of Doing It All” that “Trying to do it all and expecting that it all can be done exactly right is a recipe for” what?
3. What kind of presentations does Sheryl Sandberg say she banned at Facebook meetings in Chapter 6: “Seek and Speak Your Truth”?
4. What modern-day technological advancement has changed the equation of which parent is the primary caretaker for infants, according to the author in Chapter 7: “Don’t Leave Before You Leave”?
5. What CEO of Vodafone told the Sheryl Sandberg that he showed her TEDTalk to his senior management team, according to the author in Chapter 10: “Let’s Start Talking About It”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the term “queen bee” in Chapter 11: “Working Together Toward Equality”?
2. What positive statistics does the author cite for women’s mentorship of women in Chapter 11: “Working Together Toward Equality”?
3. Who is one example that is cited by the author as an individual who had to make an immediate choice between career and family in Chapter 7: “Don’t Leave Before You Leave”?
4. Who is credited as approaching the gender gap well in his business dealings in Chapter 10: “Let’s Start Talking About It”?
5. What statistics does Sandberg point to regarding marriage and women in power in Chapter 8: “Make Your Partner a Real Partner”?
6. What is the first step to moving forward past gender bias in the workplace, according to the author in Chapter 11: “Working Together Toward Equality”?
7. What does the author write of Nora Ephron in Chapter 9: “The Myth of Doing It All”?
8. What did Sharon Proczter say of “having it all” in Chapter 9: “The Myth of Doing It All”?
9. How does the author describe Dr. Laurie Glimcher’s approach to balancing career and family in Chapter 9: “The Myth of Doing It All”?
10. What lesson does the author say she learned from her correspondence with Ray Kelly in Chapter 6: “Seek and Speak Your Truth”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the different stereotypes that apply to women and their impact on the female ego, propensity for achievement, and confidence. What negative stereotypes are frequently reinforced in our contemporary society? How are these stereotypes reinforced? What is “stereotype threat”?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s description of her grandmother, Rosalind Einhorn. When was the author’s grandmother born? Where did she study? Why was she taken from school prior to graduating high school? Where did she go on to complete her studies? How was her situation different than the situation faced by most American women today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine and discuss the “double bind” that women face in regards to likeability and success in the workplace. How should women navigate the balance between owning one’s success and maintaining humility? What are practical suggestions given by the author in maintaining this balance?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)