|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Geraldine Ferraro chosen as the first female vice presidential candidate representing a major American political party?
2. Who is the co-author of Getting to 50/50 whom the author says credited a compelling job for her decision to return to the workplace after childbirth in Chapter 7: “Don’t Leave Before You Leave”?
3. Whom does the author describe that Facebook was recruiting for its business development team in 2009, in Chapter 7: “Don’t Leave Before You Leave”?
4. About how many families with children in the U.S. are led by a single parent today, according to the author in Chapter 9: “The Myth of Doing It All”?
5. What modern-day technological advancement has changed the equation of which parent is the primary caretaker for infants, according to the author in Chapter 7: “Don’t Leave Before You Leave”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Elise Scheck describe her experiences during pregnancy, according to the author in Chapter 7: “Don’t Leave Before You Leave”?
2. How does the author’s anecdote in the opening of Chapter 7: “Don’t Leave Before You Leave” relate to women’s relationship to their careers metaphorically?
3. In what context does the author discuss Sabeen Virani in Chapter 10: “Let’s Start Talking About It”? Why did Sabeen Virani contact the author?
4. How does the author describe Dr. Laurie Glimcher’s approach to balancing career and family in Chapter 9: “The Myth of Doing It All”?
5. What statistics does Sandberg point to regarding marriage and women in power in Chapter 8: “Make Your Partner a Real Partner”?
6. What does the author write of Nora Ephron in Chapter 9: “The Myth of Doing It All”?
7. How does Sandberg describe the hierarchal system at Facebook in Chapter 6: “Seek and Speak Your Truth”?
8. What anecdote does the author open with in Chapter 7: “Don’t Leave Before You Leave”?
9. What does the author write of Tina Fey in Chapter 9: “The Myth of Doing It All”?
10. How did Sheryl Sandberg respond when she was belittled upon meeting an admired politician in Chapter 10: “Let’s Start Talking About It”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Marlo Thomas and the award-winning children’s franchise, Free to Be … You and Me. What is the basis of this franchise? How does Marlo Thomas work toward women’s equality? How was the Thomas’s television series That Girl groundbreaking in its depiction of women?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss some of the different stereotypes that apply to women and their impact on the female ego, propensity for achievement, and confidence. What negative stereotypes are frequently reinforced in our contemporary society? How are these stereotypes reinforced? What is “stereotype threat”?
Essay Topic 3
When Eric Schmidt suggested “fast growth” as the only important criterion for taking employment, what did he mean? Was he correct in this assessment? Do you think that this piece of advice is more valuable today, given the speed of technological advancement, than it was 50 years ago? Why or why not?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)