|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task is Patricius pressed into doing by his new master?
2. By what name do the Irish refer to the Christian God?
3. Whom does the pope crown as King of the Franks on Christmas Day 800?
4. Who burns John Scotus Eriugena's book, De Divisione Naturae?
5. Why is Ireland the only place from which the European missionaries can get books?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Irish gods and goddesses are described?
2. What are Patrick's and Augustine's opinions of each other? Why?
3. Why does Patrick believe that the Christian has nothing to fear from the world of magic?
4. As the White Martyrs establish monasteries across Europe, what situation do they repeatedly encounter and from where does the solution come?
5. What do the Irish believe that gods, druids, poets, and anyone in touch with the magic-world are able to do? What is this phenomenon called?
6. What monasteries did Columbanus found in Gaul?
7. When Patricius (renamed Patrick) leaves the Ecumene after his ordination to become a missionary to Ireland, what is he willing to do for the sake of the Gospel?
8. What event did Irish Christians light bonfires to commemorate?
9. What were the "White Martyrs?"
10. Although the Irish saw nothing positive in the Viking occupation, what did they in fact establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Augustine's and Patrick's approach to dealing with paganism as they converted the Romans and Irish, respectively, to Christianity. Use the text for research and support.
Essay Topic 2
Beginning in the sixteenth century, Ireland came under the rule of newly Protestant England, and Irish Catholics came under discrimination and persecution that led to centuries of civil war that ended only in the early 21st century. Explain, using the text to support your statements, the various forms of oppression that the Irish Catholics endured, and tie it in to the statement made in the Introduction that Protestant Anglo-Saxons have controlled what is said about a Celtic, Catholic past and overlooked Ireland's contribution in a crucial period.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and explain how Patrick used Christianity to convince the Irish to end their practice of human sacrifice. Support your statements with examples from the text.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)