|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Patricius speak at home?
2. Ireland becomes the first _____________________ country as it becomes an English colony.
3. According to the author of How the Irish Saved Civilization, why do British Christians not even consider Irish Christians human beings?
4. Which historical document describes the details of the seventh-century invasion of Ireland, monastery by monastery?
5. What laws are instituted in the eighteenth century to deprive Irish Catholics, specifically, of their civil rights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Patricius turned away when he arrived in Wexford and asked for passage to Britain?
2. What are the two reasons cited for Ireland's transition from chaos to peace?
3. What do the Irish monasteries, whose leaders are termed "literate druids," become centers for?
4. Who do the archaeologists who found Lindow Man believe he was, and what do they believe was the reason for his sacrifice?
5. What happens when war goddesses Nemain and Badb appear in warriors' dreams to tell them what will happen in battle the following day?
6. Why did Pope Honorius III order that John Scotus' book, De Divisione Naturae, be burned?
7. As the White Martyrs establish monasteries across Europe, what situation do they repeatedly encounter and from where does the solution come?
8. Where was Kevin of Glendalough's monastery located?
9. Where were the "spirals, zigzags, and lozenges" that decorated the Irish monks' books first used?
10. When Patricius (renamed Patrick) leaves the Ecumene after his ordination to become a missionary to Ireland, what is he willing to do for the sake of the Gospel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text to support your statements, compare and contrast the Irish Catholic church's views on the office of abbot, penance, and confession with those of the Roman Catholic church.
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the role of and reasons for human sacrifice in pre-Christian Ireland. Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast, using the text for support, the level of importance that Augustine and Patrick each place on their converts' adherence to conventional, traditional relationships.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)