|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the copyist who created the Lindisfarne Gospels?
2. Whose intent was it to preach to all nations?
3. What heresy do many readers see in John Scotus Eriugena's works?
4. Had Augustine read "Breastplate," he would doubtless--according to his beliefs--have sensed ______________.
5. Where does Patricius go to study for ordination?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the White Martyrs establish monasteries across Europe, what situation do they repeatedly encounter and from where does the solution come?
2. What do the Irish believe that gods, druids, poets, and anyone in touch with the magic-world are able to do? What is this phenomenon called?
3. What were the "White Martyrs?"
4. What apocryphal legends about Patrick have arisen that are familiar to us?
5. What are Patrick's and Augustine's opinions of each other? Why?
6. What does the poem "St. Patrick's Breastplate" inspire?
7. Who do the archaeologists who found Lindow Man believe he was, and what do they believe was the reason for his sacrifice?
8. What did Edward Campion say about the Irish and learning?
9. Why does Patrick believe that the Christian has nothing to fear from the world of magic?
10. Why was Patricius turned away when he arrived in Wexford and asked for passage to Britain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 1 also states that the barbarians invaded Rome because they were transitioning from a hunter-gatherer society to an agricultural society. Please write an essay that compares and contrasts the characteristics of a hunter-gatherer society with those of an agricultural society.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text to support your arguments, explain and analyze the Irish copying and publishing process. How was it unique? How did it lend itself to assisting in the later re-civilization of Europe?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, it is stated that Rome fell gradually and that, although previous barbarian threats from Gaul were able to be dealt with, Rome was in such decline that when the Germanic tribes invaded they overwhelmed Rome. Please analyze, using examples from the text, what is believed to have caused the decline of Rome and why this decline caused the barbarians to defeat the Romans.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)