|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Patricius' faith before his kidnapping?
2. One well-known Green Martyr was:
3. What do the pagan Irish gods eat?
4. What is the Irish approach to marriage and sex considered?
5. Where is the Book of Kells preserved?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Patrick believe that the Christian has nothing to fear from the world of magic?
2. What event did Irish Christians light bonfires to commemorate?
3. What do the Irish monasteries, whose leaders are termed "literate druids," become centers for?
4. Why was Patricius turned away when he arrived in Wexford and asked for passage to Britain?
5. What monasteries did Columbanus found in Gaul?
6. As the White Martyrs establish monasteries across Europe, what situation do they repeatedly encounter and from where does the solution come?
7. What apocryphal legends about Patrick have arisen that are familiar to us?
8. How did Saxons understand the world?
9. What is Patrick's view of magic?
10. Although the Irish saw nothing positive in the Viking occupation, what did they in fact establish?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and demonstrate the characteristics of the "uniquely de-Romanized Christianity" that Patrick brought to Ireland, comparing and contrasting it to the Roman Christianity espoused by Augustine of Hippo that eventually came into conflict with Irish Christianity when Augustine of Canterbury was stationed in England. Use the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Beginning in the sixteenth century, Ireland came under the rule of newly Protestant England, and Irish Catholics came under discrimination and persecution that led to centuries of civil war that ended only in the early 21st century. Explain, using the text to support your statements, the various forms of oppression that the Irish Catholics endured, and tie it in to the statement made in the Introduction that Protestant Anglo-Saxons have controlled what is said about a Celtic, Catholic past and overlooked Ireland's contribution in a crucial period.
Essay Topic 3
Describe and explain how Patrick used Christianity to convince the Irish to end their practice of human sacrifice. Support your statements with examples from the text.
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)