|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to Tain Bo Cuailnge, teaches Cuchulainn to fight?
2. In the war that results from the collapse of the deal between Queen Medb and the owner of the bull, what is the name of Daire's champion?
3. What is the first religion with which Augustine experiments?
4. To which poets is Ausonius of Bordeaux compared?
5. What was fifth-century Rome considered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Celtic warriors wear into battle?
2. According to the author of How the Irish Saved Civilization, in what type of relationship are the Irish faithful and loyal? In what type of relationship are they not necessarily?
3. As the Roman Empire continues to decline, what is the concept of "what is being done" replaced by?
4. What careers did Patricius' father and grandfather hold?
5. What regions did the Celts conquer between 600 and 400 B.C.E.?
6. Why has the story of Ireland's re-education of Europe gone untold, according to the author?
7. Why were the barbarians seeking to migrate into Rome?
8. Who does the author say have controlled what is said about the Irish Catholic past and overlooked Ireland's contributions to civilization?
9. On December 31, 401, when the Roman legions and the barbarians first face each other in battle, how many years remain in the twelve centuries the Roman Empire is prophesied to last?
10. What is key to the Pax Romana (the Roman Peace)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast, using the text for support, the level of importance that Augustine and Patrick each place on their converts' adherence to conventional, traditional relationships.
Essay Topic 2
Using the text to support your arguments, explain and analyze the Irish copying and publishing process. How was it unique? How did it lend itself to assisting in the later re-civilization of Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Augustine's and Patrick's approach to dealing with paganism as they converted the Romans and Irish, respectively, to Christianity. Use the text for research and support.
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)