|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of How the Irish Saved Civilization?
2. Who was Charles Kingsley?
3. What happens to Augustine when, after reading the works of Saul of Tarsus, he realized that Plato's views on truth were wrong?
4. What is the setting of Tain Bo Cuailnge?
5. Who were the "white chimpanzees?"
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author of How the Irish Saved Civilization, in what type of relationship are the Irish faithful and loyal? In what type of relationship are they not necessarily?
2. What careers did Patricius' father and grandfather hold?
3. Who is the most dominating character in Tain Bo Cuailnge?
4. As the Roman Empire continues to decline, what is the concept of "what is being done" replaced by?
5. What crime in post-imperial Rome becomes the stuff of fairy tales?
6. What would cause a tax collector to seek a loan from a lord, and what would cause the collector to default?
7. What is the Irish transmission back to Europe of its Greco-Roman and Judaeo-Christian heritage called?
8. What natural desire did Augustine freely indulge in his youth, then become very conservative about later in life?
9. What dichotomy that troubled Augustine was addressed by Manicheism, Plato, and Saul of Tarsus?
10. In the Irish epic Tain Bo Cuailnge, what was the subject of Queen Medb's and King Ailil's debate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the role of and reasons for human sacrifice in pre-Christian Ireland. Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Augustine's and Patrick's approach to dealing with paganism as they converted the Romans and Irish, respectively, to Christianity. Use the text for research and support.
Essay Topic 3
Using the text to support your statements, compare and contrast the Irish Catholic church's views on the office of abbot, penance, and confession with those of the Roman Catholic church.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)