|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Irish feasts are still celebrated to this day?
(a) Easter and Halloween.
(b) May Day and Hanukkah.
(c) May Day and Halloween.
(d) Halloween and Groundhog Day.
2. What was Patricius' faith before his kidnapping?
(a) Roman deities.
3. What Saxon hero is shown with the Celtic virtues of loyalty, courage, and generosity?
4. One well-known Green Martyr was:
(a) Venerable Bede.
(b) St. Jerome.
(d) Kevin of Glendalough.
5. What laws are instituted in the eighteenth century to deprive Irish Catholics, specifically, of their civil rights?
(c) Jim Crow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is believed to live outside the boundaries of the Imperium?
2. Who are the druids?
3. What do the Irish gods that Patrick does not eliminate become?
4. Who is the copyist who created the Lindisfarne Gospels?
5. What year C.E. is believed to be that of Patrick's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poem "St. Patrick's Breastplate" inspire?
2. What is Patrick's view of magic?
3. Although the Irish saw nothing positive in the Viking occupation, what did they in fact establish?
4. How did Saxons understand the world?
5. What event did Irish Christians light bonfires to commemorate?
6. Before he was kidnapped, what was Patricius' opinion of God and the Catholic Church?
7. Why does Patrick believe that the Christian has nothing to fear from the world of magic?
8. What do the Irish believe that gods, druids, poets, and anyone in touch with the magic-world are able to do? What is this phenomenon called?
9. What happens when war goddesses Nemain and Badb appear in warriors' dreams to tell them what will happen in battle the following day?
10. Who do the archaeologists who found Lindow Man believe he was, and what do they believe was the reason for his sacrifice?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)