|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What council considers the correct date of Easter and the form of the Irish monastic tonsure?
(a) The Synod of Dort.
(b) The Synod of Whitby.
(c) The Council of Orange.
(d) The Council of Nicaea.
2. What did Tolland Man, Grauballe Man, Borremose Man, and Lindow Man all have in common?
(a) They appear to have died on the same day.
(b) They were unwilling participants in the sacrificial rites that killed them.
(c) They were willing participants in the sacrificial rites that killed them.
(d) They were found underneath Patrick's church.
3. Where is the monastery that Columcille founded located?
4. Who are among the notable people that the poem "St. Patrick's Breastplate" is said to inspire?
(a) Francis of Assisi, Mother Teresa, and Shakespeare.
(b) Dante, Homer, and Bill Gates.
(c) George Lucas, Mother Teresa, and Barack Obama.
(d) Francis of Assisi, Dante, and Chaucer.
5. Which of the artifacts was intended for the Catholic sacrifice of the Eucharist (i.e., Communion)?
(a) St. Patrick's Breastplate.
(b) The Gundestrup Cauldron.
(c) Borremose Man.
(d) The Ardagh Chalice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Irish gods that Patrick does not eliminate become?
2. Had Augustine read "Breastplate," he would doubtless--according to his beliefs--have sensed ______________.
3. What is the unusual form of apology mentioned in Chapter 4 that is requested by the sailors of Patricius?
4. Ireland is the only place that Christianity is introduced without:
5. It is Patrick's hope that the Irish will at least accept the body as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the Irish saw nothing positive in the Viking occupation, what did they in fact establish?
2. Who do the archaeologists who found Lindow Man believe he was, and what do they believe was the reason for his sacrifice?
3. What are Patrick's and Augustine's opinions of each other? Why?
4. What is Patrick's view of magic?
5. What effect do the decisions made at the Synod of Whitby have on the Irish understanding of the relationship between themselves and Rome?
6. What monasteries did Columbanus found in Gaul?
7. What are the two reasons cited for Ireland's transition from chaos to peace?
8. As the White Martyrs establish monasteries across Europe, what situation do they repeatedly encounter and from where does the solution come?
9. What were the "White Martyrs?"
10. What do the Irish monasteries, whose leaders are termed "literate druids," become centers for?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)