|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Christian Saxons always look to the Irish as ____________ in Christ.
2. What effect does slavery have on Patricius' faith?
(a) He prays constantly and becomes a holy man.
(b) He questions God and remains an atheist.
(c) He curses God and dies.
(d) He questions God and eventually becomes a Catholic.
3. What publication format replaced the scroll?
4. In addition to sexual mores, Patrick had to confront the practice of human sacrifice. All _________ people sacrificed people.
(d) Stone Age.
5. What was Brigid before she is consecrated as a bishop?
(a) A slave.
(b) A prostitute.
(c) A peasant girl.
(d) A druid princess.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his ordination and return to Ireland, Patricius' name changed to: _____________
2. What is the unusual form of apology mentioned in Chapter 4 that is requested by the sailors of Patricius?
3. After he returns to Britain, what does Patricius feel called by?
4. What is the youthful sin that Patrick confessed to the night before his ordination most likely believed to be?
5. What council considers the correct date of Easter and the form of the Irish monastic tonsure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Pope Honorius III order that John Scotus' book, De Divisione Naturae, be burned?
2. Where was Kevin of Glendalough's monastery located?
3. What does Patrick call King Coroticus's kidnapping of thousands of Irish converts?
4. When Patricius (renamed Patrick) leaves the Ecumene after his ordination to become a missionary to Ireland, what is he willing to do for the sake of the Gospel?
5. What are the two reasons cited for Ireland's transition from chaos to peace?
6. What monasteries did Columbanus found in Gaul?
7. How did Saxons understand the world?
8. In addition to the spiritual welfare of the Irish, what does Patrick worry about?
9. Who was described as "the first man in three hundred years who was able to think?"
10. What happens when war goddesses Nemain and Badb appear in warriors' dreams to tell them what will happen in battle the following day?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)