|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what century does How the Irish Saved Civilization begin?
(a) Eleventh C.E.
(b) Fifth B.C.
(c) Eleventh B.C.
(d) Fifth C.E.
2. What is the name of the barbarian who besieges Rome?
(c) Genghis Khan.
3. Which groups plunder Italy in the fifth century?
(a) Anglo-Saxons and Normans.
(b) Goths and Huns.
(c) Mongols and Japanese.
(d) Vandals and Visigoths.
4. Who wrote the fable about the man and the lion?
(a) Hans Christian Andersen.
(c) John Henry Newman.
(d) The Brothers Grimm.
5. What type of evidence backs the Irish foundation myth?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does the author hint he sides?
2. How were stories like Tain Bo Cuailnge transmitted in Ireland prior to the sixth century CE?
3. To which poets is Ausonius of Bordeaux compared?
4. According to Ireland's foundation myth, the sons of Mil reached Ireland from Spain and took Ireland from the "People of the Goddess _________."
5. What organization has its beginnings during the fall of the Roman empire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Irish doing during the time the barbarians are conquering Europe?
2. What, instead of the popular belief that Roman gods were punishing Rome with barbarians in order to take out their anger upon Romans who converted to Christianity, does St. Augustine claim is the cause of the barbarian siege of Rome?
3. According to the author of How the Irish Saved Civilization, in what type of relationship are the Irish faithful and loyal? In what type of relationship are they not necessarily?
4. What is the Irish transmission back to Europe of its Greco-Roman and Judaeo-Christian heritage called?
5. How are the aborigines who inhabited Ireland when the Celts reached it described?
6. In the Irish epic Tain Bo Cuailnge, what was the subject of Queen Medb's and King Ailil's debate?
7. Why has Ireland's contributions to civilization been overlooked?
8. What does Augustine discover about language?
9. What analogy is used to explain the concept of the Roman legions being overrun by barbarians?
10. When the landlords redeem their slaves, what do the men and women become?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)