|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only Celtic nation-state in the world?
2. What was the effect of this battle on Cuchulainn, his helper, and his horse, according to the legend?
(a) Cuchulainn's helper died, but he and his horse recovered from their wounds.
(b) All three were unscratched and unstained.
(c) All three were lightly wounded.
(d) All three were severely wounded, but recovered.
3. Which two rivers separate barbarians from the Roman Empire?
(a) The Volga and the Thames.
(b) The Volga and the Rhine.
(c) The Rhine and the Danube.
(d) The Danube and the Volga.
4. What was fifth-century Rome considered?
(a) A third-world country.
(b) The most modern society in the known world.
(c) A representative republic.
(d) The world's only superpower.
5. How were stories like Tain Bo Cuailnge transmitted in Ireland prior to the sixth century CE?
(a) Through oral tradition.
(b) Through the written word.
(c) Through dance.
(d) Through religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which class and nationality of people considered the Irish "incapable of civilization?"
2. What are the last surviving Celtic living languages today?
3. In Tain Bo Cuailnge, why does Queen Medb's bull defect to King Ailil?
4. The classic Christian doctrines of original sin, grace, and the trinity are first articulated by this person.
5. What book moves young Augustine to tears?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Augustine see much of the destruction the barbarians have caused?
2. What careers did Patricius' father and grandfather hold?
3. What analogy is used to explain the concept of the Roman legions being overrun by barbarians?
4. What regions did the Celts conquer between 600 and 400 B.C.E.?
5. As the Roman Empire continues to decline, what is the concept of "what is being done" replaced by?
6. When the landlords redeem their slaves, what do the men and women become?
7. Why do local lords loan money to tax collectors?
8. What crime in post-imperial Rome leads to the foundation of what we know today as the Mafia?
9. What is the Irish transmission back to Europe of its Greco-Roman and Judaeo-Christian heritage called?
10. What dichotomy that troubled Augustine was addressed by Manicheism, Plato, and Saul of Tarsus?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)