|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Columcille's name before he became a monk?
2. Why is Ireland the only place from which the European missionaries can get books?
(a) The art of copying is dead in Italy and Gaul.
(b) The barbarians are illiterate.
(c) The missionaries only speak Gaelic.
(d) The barbarians are pagans.
3. Who instructs the King of the Franks about a solar eclipse?
(b) Sedulius Scotus.
(d) John Scotus Eriugena.
4. What are the names of the Irish war goddesses?
(a) Badb and Medb.
(b) Nemain and Badb.
(c) Ares and Mercury.
(d) Danu and Medb.
5. It is Patrick's hope that the Irish will at least accept the body as what?
6. Whom does the pope crown as King of the Franks on Christmas Day 800?
(b) Charles the Bald.
7. What were Celtic corpses such as Tolland Man, Grauballe Man, Borremose Man, and Lindow Man examples of?
(a) Celtic victims of the barbarians.
(b) Celtic prisoners of war.
(c) Celtic sacrifice victims.
(d) Celtic victims of the Romans.
8. Who are among the notable people that the poem "St. Patrick's Breastplate" is said to inspire?
(a) Francis of Assisi, Dante, and Chaucer.
(b) Francis of Assisi, Mother Teresa, and Shakespeare.
(c) George Lucas, Mother Teresa, and Barack Obama.
(d) Dante, Homer, and Bill Gates.
9. Who does the speaker in "Saint Patrick's Breastplate" praise God as?
(a) The Bright and Morning Star.
(b) The I Am.
(c) The Three in One.
(d) The All in All.
10. What was Patricius' faith before his kidnapping?
(c) Roman deities.
11. How old is Patricius when he is kidnapped?
12. Who was the first emperor to blend Roman citizenship and church membership?
(b) Julius Caesar.
(d) Marcus Aurelius.
13. What is the name of the person who kidnaps Patricius?
14. Where is the monastery that Columcille founded located?
15. Who burns John Scotus Eriugena's book, De Divisione Naturae?
(a) King Charles the Bald.
(b) Pope Honorius III.
(c) Pope Gregory I.
(d) King Charlemagne.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name do the Irish refer to the Christian God?
2. What heresy do many readers see in John Scotus Eriugena's works?
3. What is NOT one of the classic Irish virtues?
4. Which historical document describes the details of the seventh-century invasion of Ireland, monastery by monastery?
5. By 1914, four million Irish have left the country due to persecution and famine. What ratio of the 1845 population is this?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)