|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the druids?
(a) Irish monks.
(b) Pagan Irish priests.
(c) Catholic Irish priests.
(d) Irish nuns.
2. Why is Ireland the only place from which the European missionaries can get books?
(a) The missionaries only speak Gaelic.
(b) The barbarians are pagans.
(c) The barbarians are illiterate.
(d) The art of copying is dead in Italy and Gaul.
3. What is the name of the person who kidnaps Patricius?
4. Who instructs the King of the Franks about a solar eclipse?
(a) Sedulius Scotus.
(b) John Scotus Eriugena.
5. Who are among the notable people that the poem "St. Patrick's Breastplate" is said to inspire?
(a) Dante, Homer, and Bill Gates.
(b) Francis of Assisi, Mother Teresa, and Shakespeare.
(c) George Lucas, Mother Teresa, and Barack Obama.
(d) Francis of Assisi, Dante, and Chaucer.
6. One thing that all heroes in ancient Irish literature have in common is that they fall prey to some "geis." What does the word "geis" mean in English?
7. In contrast to his youth, Augustine's post-conversion views on sex appear to be:
(b) The same as Patrick's.
8. What task is Patricius pressed into doing by his new master?
(b) Tending sheep.
(c) Herding cows.
(d) Training horses.
9. What were Celtic corpses such as Tolland Man, Grauballe Man, Borremose Man, and Lindow Man examples of?
(a) Celtic victims of the Romans.
(b) Celtic victims of the barbarians.
(c) Celtic prisoners of war.
(d) Celtic sacrifice victims.
10. Who is the first person in history to speak out against slavery unequivocally?
11. What word can be used to describe a "Green Martyr"?
(b) Irish Catholic.
12. Whose intent was it to preach to all nations?
(b) The apostles'.
(c) The barbarians'.
(d) The pope's.
13. What are the names of the Irish war goddesses?
(a) Badb and Medb.
(b) Nemain and Badb.
(c) Danu and Medb.
(d) Ares and Mercury.
14. What heresy do many readers see in John Scotus Eriugena's works?
15. What makes Patrick angry when it takes place?
(a) Sexual immorality.
(b) People who disagree with him.
(c) Those who refuse Christianity.
(d) Injustice against the weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Saxon hero is shown with the Celtic virtues of loyalty, courage, and generosity?
2. Who is Cernunnos?
3. Christian Saxons always look to the Irish as ____________ in Christ.
4. What do the pagan Irish gods eat?
5. Ireland becomes the first _____________________ country as it becomes an English colony.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)