|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality was Disraeli?
2. How many people was Cuchulainn able to reportedly kill in three passes during one battle?
(a) Innumerable kings and 130 rabble.
(b) 130 kings and innumerable rabble.
(c) Innumerable; but it is known that the dead were six deep in a vast circle.
(d) As many as the sands on the shore.
3. What ends Ausonius' career?
(a) Gratian's murder.
(b) Valentinian II's murder.
(c) A plagiarism scandal.
(d) Valentinian I's murder.
4. After Rome is conquered, which Italian city temporarily became the capital?
5. Who, according to Tain Bo Cuailnge, teaches Cuchulainn to fight?
(a) His father.
(b) Three women.
(c) Queen Medb.
(d) The goddess Danu herself.
6. Which groups plunder Italy in the fifth century?
(a) Goths and Huns.
(b) Anglo-Saxons and Normans.
(c) Mongols and Japanese.
(d) Vandals and Visigoths.
7. What position is Ausonius given in the year 375 A.D.?
(c) Chief of Staff.
8. In which book did St. Augustine blame paganism for Rome's troubles with barbarians?
(b) How The Irish Saved Civilization.
(c) The City of God.
(d) The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.
9. What are the last surviving Celtic living languages today?
(a) Turkish and French.
(b) Cornish and Welsh.
(c) Irish and Scots Gaelic.
(d) Welsh and Gaelic.
10. In Rome, what occupation was called the "class of worms?"
(a) Tax collectors.
11. Who is Gratian's co-regent when he succeeds Valentinian in 375 A.D.?
(d) Valentinian II.
12. In what year is Rome overtaken?
(a) 476 B.C.E.
(b) 410 B.C.E.
(c) 410 C.E.
(d) 476 C.E.
13. Which class and nationality of people considered the Irish "incapable of civilization?"
(a) Uneducated Americans.
(b) Educated Englishmen.
(c) Educated Americans.
(d) Uneducated Englishmen.
14. What causes Augustine to start reading the Bible?
(a) A vision of Christ crucified.
(b) A child's voice chanting, "take, read."
(c) His study of Paul's writings.
(d) A post-resurrection appearance to Augustine by Jesus Himself.
15. What is Tain Bo Cuailnge?
(a) A Roman prose epic.
(b) A Roman poetry epic.
(c) An Irish prose epic.
(d) An Irish poetry epic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of culture is Ireland described as in the opening pages of this book?
2. What category of people is this book about?
3. Which European class do the barbarians destroy?
4. How were stories like Tain Bo Cuailnge transmitted in Ireland prior to the sixth century CE?
5. What organization has its beginnings during the fall of the Roman empire?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)