|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote of "white chimpanzees" dying of hunger?
(a) Benjamin Disraeli.
(b) Anthony Grafton.
(c) Thomas Cahill.
(d) Charles Kingsley.
2. What is the first religion with which Augustine experiments?
3. How many years after this first encounter did St. Augustine blame paganism for the problems his city was having with barbarians?
4. Machiavelli _________ blamed the barbarians for Rome's fall.
(a) In hindsight.
5. What Greek statue shows how Celtic warriors dressed for battle?
(a) Dying Celt.
(c) Cuchulainn the Mighty.
(d) Dying Gaul.
6. On what date does Rome first encounter barbarians?
(a) December 4, 316 C.E.
(b) December 4, 316 B.C.
(c) December 31, 406 C.E.
(d) December 31, 406 B.C.
7. What organization has its beginnings during the fall of the Roman empire?
8. Which university is historian Anthony Grafton affiliated with?
9. How does How the Irish Saved Civilization describe modern English and Americans?
(a) Anglo-Saxon Catholics.
(b) Celtic Protestants.
(c) Celtic Catholics.
(d) Protestant Anglo-Saxons.
10. When Augustine founds his semi-monastic community in Milan, what is its goal?
(a) Restoring the Roman empire.
(b) Educating the barbarians.
(c) Attaining world peace.
(d) Attaining truth through Plato and his commentators.
11. Why does the deal between Queen Medb and the bull's owner fall through?
(a) King Ailil kills the bull's owner.
(b) Medb doesn't have a daughter.
(c) The intermediaries get drunk and fight.
(d) The bull dies.
12. How many people was Cuchulainn able to reportedly kill in three passes during one battle?
(a) As many as the sands on the shore.
(b) 130 kings and innumerable rabble.
(c) Innumerable; but it is known that the dead were six deep in a vast circle.
(d) Innumerable kings and 130 rabble.
13. What category of people is this book about?
14. What was the effect of this battle on Cuchulainn, his helper, and his horse, according to the legend?
(a) All three were severely wounded, but recovered.
(b) Cuchulainn's helper died, but he and his horse recovered from their wounds.
(c) All three were unscratched and unstained.
(d) All three were lightly wounded.
15. Which two rivers separate barbarians from the Roman Empire?
(a) The Volga and the Rhine.
(b) The Volga and the Thames.
(c) The Danube and the Volga.
(d) The Rhine and the Danube.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the "white chimpanzees?"
2. What happens to Augustine when, after reading the works of Saul of Tarsus, he realized that Plato's views on truth were wrong?
3. According to the author of How the Irish Saved Civilization, leisure is necessary for learning to ______________.
4. According to Ireland's foundation myth, the sons of Mil reached Ireland from Spain and took Ireland from the "People of the Goddess _________."
5. What subject does Ausonius teach at the University of Bordeaux?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)