|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Augustine after he begins reading the Bible?
(a) He regains his sanity.
(b) He accepts baptism.
(c) He is crucified.
(d) He becomes pope.
2. What position is Ausonius given in the year 375 A.D.?
(d) Chief of Staff.
3. What was fifth-century Rome considered?
(a) The most modern society in the known world.
(b) A representative republic.
(c) A third-world country.
(d) The world's only superpower.
4. Who gave this report about American universities?
(a) Charles Kingsley.
(b) John Henry Newman.
(c) Mark Twain.
(d) Henry Grafton.
5. What subject does Ausonius teach at the University of Bordeaux?
6. According to Ireland's foundation myth, the sons of Mil reached Ireland from Spain and took Ireland from the "People of the Goddess _________."
7. How does How the Irish Saved Civilization describe modern English and Americans?
(a) Protestant Anglo-Saxons.
(b) Celtic Protestants.
(c) Anglo-Saxon Catholics.
(d) Celtic Catholics.
8. What is the first religion with which Augustine experiments?
9. What is the modern-day name of the country from which the barbarians that attacked and eventually conquered Rome came?
10. In the war that results from the collapse of the deal between Queen Medb and the owner of the bull, what is the name of Daire's champion?
(a) Brian Boru.
11. These people preserved Europe's Greco-Roman and Judaeo-Christian heritage.
12. Who was Charles Kingsley?
(a) A professor.
(b) An evangelist.
(c) A politician.
(d) A historian.
13. In Rome, what occupation was called the "class of worms?"
(b) Tax collectors.
14. Where was the city of Hippo, where St. Augustine lived?
(b) North Africa.
(c) South Africa.
15. Without Ireland, neither __________ nor ____________ would have occurred.
(a) Evolution; Medicine.
(b) Renaissance; Evolution.
(c) Enlightenment; Science.
(d) Renaissance; Enlightenment.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the time of his capture, what is the name of the young man enslaved as a shepherd by the Irish in 401 C.E.?
2. What city is the capital of Roman Africa?
3. What book moves young Augustine to tears?
4. What was the Romans' reaction to Celtic warriors?
5. These people loot Europe and burn books.
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)