|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machiavelli _________ blamed the barbarians for Rome's fall.
(a) In hindsight.
2. When Queen Medb's messenger finds a replacement bull, what are the terms under which its owner agrees to lend it to her?
(a) Financial profit and his choice of one of Medb's own cows.
(b) His choice of one of Medb's own cows and her daughter's hand.
(c) Financial profit and Medb's own "friendly thighs."
(d) His choice of one of Medb's own cows and Medb's own "friendly thighs."
3. What is the name of the barbarian who besieges Rome?
(b) Genghis Khan.
4. How many people was Cuchulainn able to reportedly kill in three passes during one battle?
(a) Innumerable kings and 130 rabble.
(b) Innumerable; but it is known that the dead were six deep in a vast circle.
(c) 130 kings and innumerable rabble.
(d) As many as the sands on the shore.
5. What does Tain Bo Cuailnge mean in English?
(a) The Cattle Raid of Cooley.
(b) The City of God.
(c) How the Irish Saved Civilization.
(d) The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire.
6. Which river separated the Roman legions from the barbarian hordes that were attacking them?
(a) The Thames.
(b) The Volga.
(c) The Danube.
(d) The Rhine.
7. To which poets is Ausonius of Bordeaux compared?
(a) Homer and Virgil.
(b) Virgil and Cicero.
(c) Petrarch and Cicero.
(d) Robert Frost and Virgil.
8. With whom does the author hint he sides?
(a) The mice.
(b) The lambs.
(c) The lions.
(d) The men.
9. The fable of the man and the lion illustrates how who tells a story affects the _____________.
10. What did Christian monks teach the Irish about Mil?
(a) He is a descendant of Ham and a survivor of the Flood.
(b) He is a descendant of Japheth and a survivor of the Flood.
(c) He is a descendant of Sheth and a survivor of the Flood.
(d) He is a descendant of Noah and a survivor of the Flood.
11. What nationality was Disraeli?
12. At the time of his capture, what is the name of the young man enslaved as a shepherd by the Irish in 401 C.E.?
13. What type of evidence backs the Irish foundation myth?
14. Thanks to the barbarian invasions, the spirit of _________________ as a living entity is irrevocably lost.
(a) The feudal system.
(b) Hellenistic culture.
(c) Classical civilization.
(d) The Roman pantheon.
15. What are the Irish renowned as during the fifth century?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which mountain range do the two rivers that separate the barbarians from the Roman Empire originate?
2. What subject does Ausonius teach at the University of Bordeaux?
3. What is Tain Bo Cuailnge?
4. Why does Ausonius go to Emperor Valentinian's court?
5. What book moves young Augustine to tears?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)