|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machiavelli _________ blamed the barbarians for Rome's fall.
(b) In hindsight.
2. What is the name of the barbarian who besieges Rome?
(c) Genghis Khan.
3. What book moves young Augustine to tears?
4. In Tain Bo Cuailnge, why does Queen Medb's bull defect to King Ailil?
(a) It refuses to be led by a man.
(b) It refuses to be led by a woman.
(c) It doesn't want to be slaughtered.
(d) Its mate is owned by King Ailil.
5. Which river separated the Roman legions from the barbarian hordes that were attacking them?
(a) The Danube.
(b) The Rhine.
(c) The Volga.
(d) The Thames.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years after this first encounter did St. Augustine blame paganism for the problems his city was having with barbarians?
2. Who do the "lions" in the fable symbolize to the author?
3. Romans think the army bespeaks __________.
4. What nationality is the young man who is enslaved as a shepherd by the Irish in 401 C.E.?
5. Which university is historian Anthony Grafton affiliated with?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)