|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the last Western emperor die?
(a) 410 C.E.
(b) 476 B.C.E.
(c) 476 C.E.
(d) 410 B.C.E.
2. What happens to Augustine when, after reading the works of Saul of Tarsus, he realized that Plato's views on truth were wrong?
(a) He joined the barbarians.
(b) He suffered a nervous breakdown.
(c) He died.
(d) He went out of business.
3. Who do the "lions" in the fable symbolize to the author?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The barbarians.
(c) The Irish.
(d) The English.
4. What nickname is given to the people who reintroduced culture to medieval Europe?
(a) Irish Professors.
(b) Green Martyrs.
(c) Holy Rollers.
(d) White Martyrs.
5. These people preserved Europe's Greco-Roman and Judaeo-Christian heritage.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does Rome first encounter barbarians?
2. In Rome, what occupation was called the "class of worms?"
3. Which river separated the Roman legions from the barbarian hordes that were attacking them?
4. What is the title of Augustine of Hippo's memoir?
5. How does How the Irish Saved Civilization describe modern English and Americans?
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)