|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 422 BC, what is the financial condition of Athens?
(a) The Athenian treasury is being supplied only from conquered territories.
(b) The treasury has been largely expended and private subscriptions and extra taxes have been utilized for military expansion.
(c) Athenian wealth has grown far beyond what the Spartans had.
(d) Athens is bankrupt and has to forego paying its soldiers.
2. What ultimatum does Athens give to Melos?
(a) Surrender supporters of Sparta or face the consequences
(b) Pay tribute or be wholly destroyed
(c) Build triemes for Athens or face an embargo
(d) Join the Delian League or remain neutral
3. Why is Book 5 of the History of the Peloponnesian War such a short book?
(a) There are fewer conflicts spread out over a number of years.
(b) There is only one battle during that time.
(c) Much of the history during that time is lost.
(d) Thucydides has to leave Athens in a hurry.
4. What claim does Alcibiades make when the Phoenician navy remains neutral in the Aegean?
(a) He claims that rumors of Phoenician ships in the area are false intelligence.
(b) He claims that he enlists the Spartan fleet to battle the Phoenicians.
(c) He claims it is his personal influence with the Phoenicians.
(d) He claims that the Phoenicians are little better than pirates.
5. What transpires in Syracuse in 414 BC?
(a) Gylippus arrives in Syracuse and saves the city from defeat.
(b) Large financial resources reach Syracuse.
(c) Envoys pass between Athens and Sicily.
(d) Athens leaves Syracuse when Gylippus arrives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What major battle occurs in the winter of 415 BC?
2. How does Thucydides picture certain charismatic generals during the years of the Peloponnesian War?
3. What is the response to Nicias' communique during the winter of 414 BC?
4. How are the triremes used in naval combat?
5. What happens among pro-Athens allies at that time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the charismatic Athenian who promulgated an anti-Spartan alliance in the Peloponnesus? What weakness did he seem to have?
2. What unusual twist of fortune occurred for Alcibiades in 411 BC?
3. What was so alarming about the revolt of Chios?
4. What happened in Athens after the revolt of Euboea?
5. To what did Thucydides attribute the final rout of the Athenian navy in the harbor at Syracuse?
6. After Gylippus' arrival in Syracuse, what immediate conflict began between Syracuse and the Athenians?
7. What is today generally referred to as the peace of Nicias?
8. During the so-called peace of Nicias, what marked the military conflict between Athens and Sparta?
9. After the defeat at Syracuse, what was the condition of of the Athenian league?
10. What design changes in the new Peloponnesian triremes made them more effective against the Athenian navy?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)