|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What removes Syracuse, Sicily, and Italy from the text of Thucydides' history?
(a) The eruption of Mt. Aetna
(b) Athens' ultimate defeat of Syracuse
(c) Sparta turing its attention on Thrace
(d) The defeat and rout of the Athenians
2. What practice does Thucydides not value other than recognizing its effect on politics and the military?
(a) Visiting the oracles
(b) Reading omens in the stars
(c) Praying to Apollo
(d) Casting lots
3. What success does Cleon have during the time of Book 5?
(a) Cleon negotiates a cease fire with Crete.
(b) Cleon is elected to lead the country for life.
(c) Cleon leads an Athenian expedition to Thrace where he recaptures some areas formerly subjugated by Sparta.
(d) Cleon succeeds in reguilding the Athenian war machine.
4. After the demise of Athenian democracy, what political force gains control?
(a) Alcibiades returns and takes control of the government.
(b) The transient new government, referred to as the Four Hundred, rules by force.
(c) The Helots rise to power.
(d) A group of pro-Spartan sympathizers
5. What is commonly called the peace of Nicias by modern scholars?
(a) The treaty of alliance between Sparta and Athens during the winter of 422 to 421 BC
(b) The end of the Peloponnesian War
(c) A time under Nicias when Sparta is afraid to attack.
(d) A six-week halt to the hostilities
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thucydides write about important speeches and rhetoric during his time?
2. During the winter of 421 BC, what happens with the Boeotians?
3. What happens among pro-Athens allies at that time?
4. Who arrives in Sicily and changes the course of the conflict with Athens?
5. When Alcibiades is eventually recalled for blasphemy, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the dialogue between Melos and Athens?
2. What was Thucydides' intention for his history of the war in terms of future reference?
3. After the defeat at Syracuse, what was the condition of of the Athenian league?
4. How did the peace of Nicias finally break down?
5. In 411 BC, what happened to Athenian democracy?
6. During the so-called peace of Nicias, what marked the military conflict between Athens and Sparta?
7. What is today generally referred to as the peace of Nicias?
8. What unusual event transpired at Amphipolis in 422 BC and how did Thucydides view the results?
9. What commonly held belief did Thucydides reject but observed its impact on the war?
10. What shenanigan was attributed to Alcibiades prior to his setting sail for Sicily?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)