|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From a more historical point of view, how does the peace of Nicias seem to scholars?
(a) It seems to be misnamed for Nicias and should be credited to Cleon.
(b) It does not look like a peace at all.
(c) It appears to be a gradual cessation of hostilities.
(d) It looks like a failed effort at diplomacy.
2. What transpires in Syracuse in 414 BC?
(a) Athens leaves Syracuse when Gylippus arrives.
(b) Envoys pass between Athens and Sicily.
(c) Large financial resources reach Syracuse.
(d) Gylippus arrives in Syracuse and saves the city from defeat.
3. What is happening to the once invincible hoplite phalanx?
(a) It is no longer being used by the Athenians.
(b) It is becoming ineffective against new weapons and tactics.
(c) It is becoming too expensive to mount.
(d) It is failing because it had been overused.
4. How does Thucydides write about important speeches and rhetoric during his time?
(a) He asserts a knowledge about the thoughts of individuals at key moments within the history.
(b) He has a good imagination for what is being thought and said.
(c) As a scribe, he is actually present for most of the important speeches and negotiations.
(d) He interviews important principal characters in the political area of his day.
5. What happens in 411 BC to the Athenian democracy after the defeat at Syracuse?
(a) Athenian democracy collapses under the pressure of assassinations and military defeat.
(b) The democracy splits into three separate factions.
(c) All the leaders resign in helplessness.
(d) Martial law is declared to restore order and democracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives in Sicily and changes the course of the conflict with Athens?
2. What is the first step in the unraveling of the Athenian force?
3. What is the significance of Thucydides' inclusion of the story of Aristogiton and Harmodius?
4. What is the final year in Thucydides' history?
5. What is the political position of Argos from 418 through 416 BC?
Short Essay Questions
1. What historical turning point is inaugurated by Athens in 415 BC?
2. What design changes in the new Peloponnesian triremes made them more effective against the Athenian navy?
3. What commonly held belief did Thucydides reject but observed its impact on the war?
4. How did the peace of Nicias finally break down?
5. What shenanigan was attributed to Alcibiades prior to his setting sail for Sicily?
6. What feature of Thucydides' writing would not be acceptable in historical writing today?
7. After the defeat at Syracuse, what was the condition of of the Athenian league?
8. What unusual twist of fortune occurred for Alcibiades in 411 BC?
9. What was the mindset of Athens after the defeats at Syracuse?
10. In 422 BC, what caused the popularity of the Athenian general, Cleon, to rise?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)