|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event in ca 479 BC gives rise to a period of prominence in Athens?
(a) Defeat of the Spartans
(b) Defeat of the invading Persian army
(c) Incorporation of the surrounding city-states
(d) The influence of Socratic philosophy
2. Where is is the Peloponnesus itself?
(a) In the Cyclades
(b) The Southern tip of Greece
(c) Just North of Attica
(d) On the Northwestern coast of Greece
3. What opinion does Thucydides seem to have about Pericles as a leader?
(a) He thinks he is too passive.
(b) He faults him for not taking on Sparta sooner.
(c) He rates him as highly effectual.
(d) He blames him for the later defeats of the Athenians.
4. How does Corinth enter the war?
(a) Independently and not yet allied with Sparta
(b) Under seige from the spartans
(c) As opportunists hoping to divide and conquer
(d) As part of their alliance with Thebes
5. What conflict in the region occurs outside of Athens' political control?
(a) In 435 BC, Corinth and Corcyra engage in military hostilities; both enjoy some successes but Corcyra appears to gain the advantage.
(b) Corinth and Corcyra form a military alliance.
(c) Persia and Egypt sign treaties of cooperation.
(d) Cyprus begins to emerge as a military force.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the fourth major area where much of the early activity takes place?
2. What political action does Sparta take in 432 BC?
3. What puts a strain between Athens and Sparta after the revolt?
4. What are the most far reaching of the participants in the Peloponnesian War?
5. What is detailed in Book Two?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)