|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sparta demand of her allies?
(a) To send their troops to Sparta for training
(b) To Take Trace and Macedon
(c) To build a massive fleet
(d) To surround Attica
2. Which political powers are at the epicenter of the Peloponnesian War?
(a) Athens and Thrace
(b) Athens and Sparta
(c) Athens and Macedon
(d) Athens and Corinth
3. After the Spartan forces give up the Attica offensive, what does Athens continue to do?
(a) Stockpile commodities against future Spartan attacks
(b) Build higher walls around Athens
(c) Press for a military truce and peace treaty
(d) Hit-and-run naval attacks on the Peloponesian isthmus
4. What event precipitates the beginning of the war?
(a) An attempted sea attack agains Athens from Sparta
(b) The actual advent of hostilities comes about through a Theban surprise attack against Plataea.
(c) Word that Thrace had invaded Corinth.
(d) The beheading of Athenian envoys to Sparta
5. What is the stated purpose of Book One of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War?
(a) To show the importance of Corinth in the Peloponnesian War.
(b) To establish background and attempt to examine the causes of the war.
(c) To discuss the daily life of people in Sparta and Athens.
(d) To establish the credentials of Thucydides as a historian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Corinth enter the war?
2. Where is the Attica-Euboea-Boeotia area of Greece?
3. What complication does geographic scope add to the difficulty of reading Book One?
4. Where is the fourth major area where much of the early activity takes place?
5. Why is the Theban attack able to precipitate the war?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)