|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What follows the apocalypse?
2. What celebration marks this event?
3. What book of the Bible has long been a favorite in literary circles?
4. Where is the Bible's first apocalypse recorded?
5. Of what is "the earth shall be full of knowledge of the Lord/as the waters cover the sea" a description?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Job's speeches NOT subversive?
2. How did Song of Songs, which is a secular cycle of poems about young lovers, enter the Hebrew canon?
3. How do God's people preserve him?
4. What happen after Ezra reads the "scroll of the Teaching of Moses?"
5. Why is the Book of Job a favorite in literary circles and with skeptics?
6. What are the four things Job does, according to the common interpretation of the Book of Job?
7. Why is cultic sacrifice a late development in the Judean culture?
8. What is the purpose of Gabriel and Michael?
9. What is the gist of Proverbs?
10. How does the Book of Ruth portray men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Western civilization is built on the belief that God created humankind in His own image and the Bible is the key to understanding Western character.
Part 1) Name two distinct personalities of God. How does humanity reflect these multiple personalities?
Part2) How is the Tanakh used to create a "theography" of the Judeo-Christian faith? Why is it chosen, rather than the Old Testament?
Part 3) What evidence does Miles give that proves the idea that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever wrong?
Essay Topic 2
Why does God strike up a deal with Satan? How does the Book of Job examine the dark side of God? How does God's biography differ from traditional fables?
Essay Topic 3
Miles believes the Bible can be studied as a work of literature that explains God's character from a boisterous all-actions God to finally a silent one.
Part 1) Whose precept is used as a model for this study? How does the information and order of the Tanakh follow this precept?
Part 2) Describe God's character throughout the Hebrew Bible with examples from the text.
Part 3) How does Miles explain why God can be understood in human terms?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)