|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the keynote, "The Image and the Original" provide?
2. What does war do to God?
3. What is the Tanakh's one God's two strikingly distinct personalities?
4. Who is the protagonist in the Tanakh?
5. What has the Tanakh always been?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Exodus conclude with Moses constructing?
2. What does God invite readers to do, at which critics might scoff? Why?
3. What part of Abram/Abraham does God personally control?
4. By using foreign nations to punish his people, how is God opening the door to other nations?
5. What is the first prohibition after the flood?
6. How do critics and scholars differ on their approach to literary characters?
7. How is Elijah's "death" different from those of Jacob, Moses, Joshua, and David?
8. How does Miles disagree with systematic theologians and the character and actions of God?
9. What are the "Deuteronomistic History?"
10. How is the Bible different from both saga and classical epic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When does God realize He is responsible for Israel's social order? What six-part action leads to this discovery? What are the four crescendos that affect the emerging character of God?
Essay Topic 2
Surprisingly after the bloody Exodus, what is decreed about foreigners? Why? How is this different than what one would expect?
Essay Topic 3
Why does God strike up a deal with Satan? How does the Book of Job examine the dark side of God? How does God's biography differ from traditional fables?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)