|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what literary character does the author compare God?
2. What has the Tanakh always been?
3. What does God do when displeased by some human action or inaction?
4. What is understood and not concealed about God?
5. What does David do before the ark?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the frightful Yahweh act towards the man and the woman after they are punished and before they are expelled from the garden?
2. Describe the god Baal.
3. What promise does God keep in Joshua?
4. What part of Abram/Abraham does God personally control?
5. What is "new historicism?"
6. How is Elijah's "death" different from those of Jacob, Moses, Joshua, and David?
7. How does Miles disagree with systematic theologians and the character and actions of God?
8. Under Joshua, what does Israel do?
9. How is God compared to modern actors and Don Quixote?
10. What belief continues to set Western civilization apart from, for example, the Japanese?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
God's creation does not turn out as expected from the beginning.
Part 1) Why do Adam and Eve disobey God?
Part 2) What does God require of Adam and Eve?
Part 3) How does God handle this disobedience?
Essay Topic 2
What plants the seeds of prophecy later in the text? How does Miles describe God's and his chosen people's personality mentioned in chapter three? What do the Israelites forget during their sojourn in Egypt?
Essay Topic 3
Why does God strike up a deal with Satan? How does the Book of Job examine the dark side of God? How does God's biography differ from traditional fables?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)