|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the worst case of brutality in a brutal era take place?
(a) In the territory of Benjamin.
(b) In Canaan.
(c) In Budapest.
(d) In Jerusalem.
2. Why do the Jew leave the text where it is?
(a) They adopt the codex as a way of preserving the contents of their ancient scrolls.
(b) It is the true order and should not be changed.
(c) God asks to have the order kept in its original form.
(d) For dramatic effect.
3. After the man and woman are punished, what perpetual punishments are hard and painful?
(a) Cleaning and cooking.
(b) Exercising and working.
(c) Childbearing and earning a living.
(d) Raising children and housework.
4. What is the problem with enforcing morality in either polytheism or monotheism?
(a) In neither system has it proven guaranteed.
(b) The gods do not care if their followers are moral.
(c) Neither has a moral code.
(d) The humans do not listen to their gods.
5. Why should God fall in love with David?
(a) David is sweet.
(b) Everyone else does.
(c) David is handsome.
(d) Everyone else hates David.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the Hebrew God different from those of Greek mythology?
2. What has the Tanakh always been?
3. What is the purpose of Chapter One, the Prelude, "Can God's Life Be Written?"
4. Although many Westerners have lost belief in God, what continues to set them apart from other cultures?
5. How do critics and scholars differ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does God keep in Joshua?
2. How is Elijah's "death" different from those of Jacob, Moses, Joshua, and David?
3. What belief continues to set Western civilization apart from, for example, the Japanese?
4. How does Miles disagree with systematic theologians and the character and actions of God?
5. How do the Israelites respond to Moses leading them in the desert? How does God respond to them?
6. How do critics and scholars differ on their approach to literary characters?
7. How does God show mercy towards the Israelites after the destruction in Deuteronomy?
8. What is the first prohibition after the flood?
9. What does Exodus conclude with Moses constructing?
10. Under Joshua, what does Israel do?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)