Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the opening letter in "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel. Who was the writer? What was the subject?
2. What is the structure of the book? How many letters are there in total?
3. Why do you think Maria Celeste had such a special bond with her father, aside from her position in the family?
4. Describe Maria Celeste's birth and journey to the Convent at San Matteo.
5. When did Virginia take her vows? Where did she get the name Maria Celeste?
6. Who were the other two Galilei children? What was their place in the family?
7. What was the major difference in the opportunities given to Vincenzio as opposed to those given to Maria Celeste and Arcangela?
8. When the Galilei children were small, Galileo held two similar jobs in the math and science fields. What were the jobs and where were they? Why were the jobs unusual?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)