Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
3. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
4. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
5. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
2. What does Faust fear in regards to his relationship with Gretchen about Mephistopheles?
3. After meeting Faust, how does Gretchen admit to feeling about him during "Gretchen's Room"?
4. What happens to Gretchen at the end of "A Cathedral"?
5. How does Valentine react to Gretchen's plight, as well as the presence of Faust?
6. Who is Barbara, and why is she being discussed by Gretchen and Lieschen?
7. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
8. Why does Mephistopheles keep trying to subvert Faust from examining his vision of Gretchen?
9. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
10. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of symbolism in "Faust" in the following format:
Part 1) The Easter celebration.
Part 2) The black poodle.
Part 3) The "crowning" of Mephistopheles in "A Witch's Kitchen."
Part 4) The jewels.
Part 5) Flowers.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is significant about the character of Mephistopheles being portrayed as charming and charismatic? How does this affect the balance of good versus evil, as well as the relationship between God and the devil? How do people react to Mephistopheles, particularly Faust and Gretchen? What is important about Martha's attempted seduction of Mephistopheles? How does this relate to his overall disdain of the human race? What does this suggest about his role in the world? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What roles do women play in the society of this play? Why is it significant that the town and Valentine held Gretchen's worth so high but immediately tore her down because of her pregnancy? How is the unseen-character of Barbara related to this fact? How does Faust, despite his professed love of Gretchen, also reduce her character down to what he wants her to be? How does Martha and her role as an abused wife suggest the esteem in which women are held? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)