|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Night" take place?
2. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
3. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
4. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
5. .0 0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
2. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
3. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
4. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
5. What happens when Mephistopheles and Faust go to the tavern in Leipzig?
6. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
7. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
8. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
9. How does Faust feel about the mystery girl he sees in the mirror and in the street?
10. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What roles do women play in the society of this play? Why is it significant that the town and Valentine held Gretchen's worth so high but immediately tore her down because of her pregnancy? How is the unseen-character of Barbara related to this fact? How does Faust, despite his professed love of Gretchen, also reduce her character down to what he wants her to be? How does Martha and her role as an abused wife suggest the esteem in which women are held? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How does Faust's innate skepticism of higher powers help lead to his downfall? How is this related to his agreement to Mephistopheles's bargain? In addition to his doubts about Mephistopheles's power, why does this lead Faust into a troubled relationship with God? How and why does Faust retain this skepticism throughout the play? What does this suggest about his character as a whole? Discuss these questions (though not exclusively) in a brief essay about Faust's skepticism while using strong examples from the text to support these arguments.
Essay Topic 3
How does Goethe use "Faust" to critique society? Discuss this in the following format:
Part 1) People's relationship with God.
Part 2) God and Mephistopheles.
Part 3) The role of the church.
Part 4) The town's rejection of Gretchen.
Part 5) "A Walpurgis Night's Dream."
Develop a clear thesis and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)