|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
2. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
3. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
4. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
5. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
2. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
3. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
4. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
5. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
6. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
7. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
8. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
9. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
10. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Gretchen in the following format:
Part 1) Innocence versus corruption.
Part 2) Her self esteem and the opinions of others.
Part 3) Temptation and empathy.
Part 4) The role of the woman to bring honor to the family.
Part 5) Her downfall and tragedy.
Part 6) Redemption.
Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of irony in "Faust." Define the term and use several passages from the text to illustrate these ideas. Suggestions of examples from the text include the following: Faust's first encounter with Mephistopheles falling on Easter, Faust's choice of pursuing Gretchen, Valentine's name, and the notion that Mephistopheles recognizes the greed and hypocrisy of the church. Cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What significance does the Easter holiday play in "Faust"? How do the hymnals affect the titular character and why? What are some connotations associated with Easter that can be applied, literally or ironically, to "Faust"? How does the Easter celebration reveal Faust's deep insecurities and regrets in life? Discuss these ideas in an essay (do not limit yourself to simply answering these questions). Develop a clear thesis statement and cite specific examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)