|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles agree to do if Faust frees Gretchen?
(a) He will take them both to safety.
(b) He will give Gretchen a new identity so that she may start over.
(c) He will free Faust from his bond.
(d) He will bring Gretchen's family back to life.
2. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
(a) He removes his contract from Faust.
(b) He is there to kill Gretchen.
(c) He is warning Faust that he will be caught if he does not leave.
(d) He is hiding from a witch.
3. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
(a) He will be lying.
(b) He will be sincere.
(c) He will be blaspheming.
(d) He will be manipulating Gretchen into doing the same.
4. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) Faust's study.
(b) The gallows.
(c) The woods.
(d) The prison.
5. What can Mephistopheles not do for Gretchen in "A Gloomy Day?"
(a) Set her free from prison.
(b) Bring her mother back to life.
(c) Absolve her of her sins.
(d) Restore her virginity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust attempt to bring Gretchen during "The Street Outside Gretchen's Door"?
2. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
3. From where does the voice at the end of "Faust" come?
4. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles?
5. What does Gretchen initially believe about Faust when he comes into her cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gretchen refuse to escape from prison with Faust?
2. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
3. What is the purpose of the potion?
4. What purpose does "At the Well" serve in terms of story and character?
5. After meeting Faust, how does Gretchen admit to feeling about him during "Gretchen's Room"?
6. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
7. What is Walpurgis Night?
8. What does Faust admit to being jealous of and why?
9. What agreement does Faust and Mephistopheles come to when the former discovers that Gretchen had been pregnant and is now in prison and why?
10. What comprises Valentine's final moments alive?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)