|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Faust has a vision of Gretchen on the night of the Walpurgis celebration, what does he see on her feet?
(a) Blood-soaked slippers.
(b) Nails from the Crucifixtion.
2. Who is Barbara?
(a) Faust's daughter.
(b) Mephistopheles's favorite witch.
(c) An unwed, pregnant girl.
(d) Gretchen's sister.
3. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The church.
(b) The cemetary.
(c) The gallows.
(d) The pond.
4. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen discuss with Faust?
(a) Her relationship to her mother.
(b) His relationship to his priest.
(c) His relationship with Mephistopheles.
(d) Her relationship with God.
5. According to Musaget, what is easier to "govern than the Muses"?
(c) The ocean waves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
2. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
3. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
4. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles?
5. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)