|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
(b) He will attend church with her.
(c) He will marry her one day soon.
(d) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
2. Why was Gretchen forced to raise her now-deceased sister and take care of the house when she was younger?
(a) Her mother was in prison.
(b) Her mother was forced to work as a maid.
(c) Her father disappeared.
(d) Her mother was ill.
3. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
(a) He is warning Faust that he will be caught if he does not leave.
(b) He is hiding from a witch.
(c) He removes his contract from Faust.
(d) He is there to kill Gretchen.
4. How does Gretchen feel about Barbara?
(a) She feels ashamed of her.
(b) She feels sorry for her.
(c) She is angry at her.
(d) She feels triumphant at her friend's downfall.
5. Who is singing in the church?
(b) The priest.
(c) The choir.
(d) The altarboys.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
2. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
3. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
4. Initially, what is the only thing Gretchen recognizes as Faust when he is in her prison cell?
5. What does Mephistopheles agree to do if Faust frees Gretchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Faust pledging his love to Gretchen?
2. What does Faust fear in regards to his relationship with Gretchen about Mephistopheles?
3. What happens to Gretchen at the end of "A Cathedral"?
4. What agreement does Faust and Mephistopheles come to when the former discovers that Gretchen had been pregnant and is now in prison and why?
5. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
6. What visions do Faust and Mephistopheles claim to have to their dancing partners?
7. After meeting Faust, how does Gretchen admit to feeling about him during "Gretchen's Room"?
8. Why is Gretchen unable to recognize Faust when he comes to her in prison?
9. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
10. What is ironic about Mephistopheles's statement that Gretchen is doomed?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)