|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the voice at the end of "Faust" come?
2. Who criticizes the dancing on the mountain?
(a) The Proctophantamist.
(b) The Huckster-Witch.
3. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
4. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
(a) He removes his contract from Faust.
(b) He is there to kill Gretchen.
(c) He is warning Faust that he will be caught if he does not leave.
(d) He is hiding from a witch.
5. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) He will marry her one day soon.
(b) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
(c) He will attend church with her.
(d) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
2. What is the occupation of Gretchen's brother?
3. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
4. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
5. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
2. What does Faust fear in regards to his relationship with Gretchen about Mephistopheles?
3. Describe some of the characters in the chapter "Walpurgis Night."
4. How does Valentine react to Gretchen's plight, as well as the presence of Faust?
5. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
6. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
7. What comprises Valentine's final moments alive?
8. Describe the seduction of Gretchen up until the end of "A Forest Cavern."
9. What purpose does "At the Well" serve in terms of story and character?
10. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)