|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
(b) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
(c) He will marry her one day soon.
(d) He will attend church with her.
2. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
(a) He is warning Faust that he will be caught if he does not leave.
(b) He is hiding from a witch.
(c) He is there to kill Gretchen.
(d) He removes his contract from Faust.
3. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles?
(a) He is Faust's brother.
(b) He is a bad influence on Faust.
(c) He needs to go with her to church.
(d) He is a wandering soldier.
4. Which of the following is not a character in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) The realist.
(b) The idealist.
(c) The dogmatist.
(d) The futurist.
5. When Faust has a vision of Gretchen on the night of the Walpurgis celebration, what does he see on her feet?
(c) Blood-soaked slippers.
(d) Nails from the Crucifixtion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
2. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
3. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
4. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
5. Who is Valentine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement does Faust and Mephistopheles come to when the former discovers that Gretchen had been pregnant and is now in prison and why?
2. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
3. Describe the enormity of Gretchen's sorrows.
4. What is ironic about Mephistopheles's statement that Gretchen is doomed?
5. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen admit to worrying about in regards to Mephistopheles?
6. What purpose does "At the Well" serve in terms of story and character?
7. What leads up to Faust pledging his love to Gretchen?
8. Why is Gretchen is prison?
9. Why must Faust lie to Martha about her husband?
10. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)