|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) The prison.
(b) The gallows.
(c) Faust's study.
(d) The woods.
2. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
(b) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
(c) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
(d) She is afraid that she needs protection.
3. Why does Faust fear Mephistopheles's influence over his happiness with Gretchen in "A Cavern"?
(a) He knows Gretchen is protected by God.
(b) He knows Gretchen fears Mephistopheles.
(c) He knows Mephistopheles could take everything away.
(d) He knows Mephistopheles wants Gretchen for himself.
4. Who is singing in the church?
(a) The choir.
(b) The priest.
(c) The altarboys.
5. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
(a) Take him to confession.
(b) Get a marriage proposal.
(c) Seduce him.
(d) Get him drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
2. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
3. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
4. Why was Gretchen forced to raise her now-deceased sister and take care of the house when she was younger?
5. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the seduction of Gretchen up until the end of "A Forest Cavern."
2. Why is Gretchen unable to recognize Faust when he comes to her in prison?
3. Describe the enormity of Gretchen's sorrows.
4. What happens to Gretchen at the end of "A Cathedral"?
5. How does Valentine react to Gretchen's plight, as well as the presence of Faust?
6. What agreement does Faust and Mephistopheles come to when the former discovers that Gretchen had been pregnant and is now in prison and why?
7. After meeting Faust, how does Gretchen admit to feeling about him during "Gretchen's Room"?
8. Who is Barbara, and why is she being discussed by Gretchen and Lieschen?
9. What visions do Faust and Mephistopheles claim to have to their dancing partners?
10. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)