|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
(b) He has renounced God because of her.
(c) He knows her secret.
(d) He poisoned her drink.
2. Who is singing in the church?
(a) The priest.
(b) The choir.
(d) The altarboys.
3. Who is Barbara?
(a) An unwed, pregnant girl.
(b) Mephistopheles's favorite witch.
(c) Gretchen's sister.
(d) Faust's daughter.
4. Why was Gretchen forced to raise her now-deceased sister and take care of the house when she was younger?
(a) Her mother was ill.
(b) Her mother was forced to work as a maid.
(c) Her mother was in prison.
(d) Her father disappeared.
5. Which of the following is not a character in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) The futurist.
(b) The idealist.
(c) The realist.
(d) The dogmatist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Faust irrationally jealous in regards to its proximity to Gretchen?
2. While considering Faust's request in "Martha's Garden," of what is Gretchen afraid?
3. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
4. To which author do the characters in the chapter "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" belong?
5. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)