|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust give Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) A ring.
(b) A flower.
(c) A sleeping potion.
(d) A book of philosophy.
2. What is the occupation of Gretchen's brother?
3. What purpose does "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" serve in this play?
(a) A cover for Faust's escape.
(b) A ritual to conjure up a spell of eternal darkness.
(c) Comic relief.
(d) Commentary on Faust and Gretchen.
4. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
(b) He poisoned her drink.
(c) He knows her secret.
(d) He has renounced God because of her.
5. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
(a) She will commit suicide.
(b) She will become a martyr for women everywhere.
(c) She will live her days out in a madhouse.
(d) She is doomed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust see around Gretchen's neck in his vision of her in "Walpurgis Night"?
2. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
3. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
4. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
5. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)