|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) Faust's study.
(b) The woods.
(c) The gallows.
(d) The prison.
2. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
(b) Gretchen's dislike for men.
(c) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
(d) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
3. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
(a) He is protecting Gretchen's honor.
(b) He thinks Faust raped Gretchen.
(c) Faust insulted him.
(d) Mephistopheles cast a spell on Valentine to manipulate him into a duel.
4. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
(c) The Harpies.
5. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Gretchen's bed.
(b) Martha's garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
2. Of what is Faust irrationally jealous in regards to its proximity to Gretchen?
3. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
4. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
5. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles when he appears in her cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the potion?
2. What agreement does Faust and Mephistopheles come to when the former discovers that Gretchen had been pregnant and is now in prison and why?
3. Describe the seduction of Gretchen up until the end of "A Forest Cavern."
4. What does Faust admit to being jealous of and why?
5. Discuss the significance of Gretchen fearing Mephistopheles at the end of the play.
6. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
7. What is ironic about Mephistopheles's statement that Gretchen is doomed?
8. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
9. Describe some of the characters in the chapter "Walpurgis Night."
10. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
This section contains 1,124 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)