|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) He scares her.
(b) Nosy neighbors.
(c) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(d) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
2. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
(a) He knows that a disguise is pointless amongst witches.
(b) He wants to bask in their adulation.
(c) He does not want to deny his heritage.
(d) He cannot be disguised for celebrations.
3. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
(a) Barbara has renounced God.
(b) Barbara is very ill.
(c) The father of Barbara's baby has run away.
(d) Barbara has recently been robbed and has no money.
4. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) The prison.
(b) The woods.
(c) The gallows.
(d) Faust's study.
5. What is the purpose of the item Faust gives Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) It will put her mother to sleep.
(b) She should pluck its petals to see if he loves her.
(c) It will be a token of their secret engagement.
(d) She will understand him better after reading the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
2. Why was Gretchen forced to raise her now-deceased sister and take care of the house when she was younger?
3. How does Gretchen feel about Barbara?
4. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
5. To which author do the characters in the chapter "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" belong?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Faust pledging his love to Gretchen?
2. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
3. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
4. Why must Faust lie to Martha about her husband?
5. Discuss the significance of Gretchen fearing Mephistopheles at the end of the play.
6. Why is Gretchen unable to recognize Faust when he comes to her in prison?
7. What is Walpurgis Night?
8. What visions do Faust and Mephistopheles claim to have to their dancing partners?
9. Why is Gretchen is prison?
10. What comprises Valentine's final moments alive?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)