|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
(a) Gretchen will no longer have the innocence to which Faust is so attracted.
(b) Mephistopheles will also get pleasure from the act.
(c) Mephistopheles's influence over Gretchen will be broken.
(d) Mephistopheles will be powerless until Faust sleeps with Gretchen.
2. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
3. What purpose does Gretchen's song serve in prison?
(a) She is trying to figure out who is responsible for her plight.
(b) She is trying to send a message to Faust.
(c) She thinks she is singing to her child.
(d) She is trying to fool everyone into thinking she is mad.
4. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
(a) He removes his contract from Faust.
(b) He is there to kill Gretchen.
(c) He is warning Faust that he will be caught if he does not leave.
(d) He is hiding from a witch.
5. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The pond.
(b) The cemetary.
(c) The gallows.
(d) The church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
2. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
3. Why was Gretchen forced to raise her now-deceased sister and take care of the house when she was younger?
4. According to Lieschen, how did Barbara spend her evenings and nights?
5. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Faust admit to being jealous of and why?
2. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
3. What happens to Gretchen at the end of "A Cathedral"?
4. What is ironic about Mephistopheles's statement that Gretchen is doomed?
5. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
6. What visions do Faust and Mephistopheles claim to have to their dancing partners?
7. Why does Gretchen refuse to escape from prison with Faust?
8. Why does Mephistopheles keep trying to subvert Faust from examining his vision of Gretchen?
9. Describe some of the characters in the chapter "Walpurgis Night."
10. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)