|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
(a) He is warning Faust that he will be caught if he does not leave.
(b) He is there to kill Gretchen.
(c) He is hiding from a witch.
(d) He removes his contract from Faust.
2. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
(c) The Harpies.
3. What is Faust awed by, according to the beginning of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) He has fallen deeply in love with Gretchen.
(b) He has no feelings beyond lust for Gretchen.
(c) Gretchen understands his feelings about God.
(d) Gretchen refuses to be swayed by Mephistopheles.
4. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
(a) Gretchen will outgrow her feelings for him.
(b) Faust will find another woman more attractive.
(c) Faust will take his feelings for Gretchen too far.
(d) Faust will never find the courage to act on his lust.
5. When Faust has a vision of Gretchen on the night of the Walpurgis celebration, what does he see on her feet?
(a) Nails from the Crucifixtion.
(d) Blood-soaked slippers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust promise Gretchen in "A Garden"?
2. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
3. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
4. To which author do the characters in the chapter "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" belong?
5. Which Biblical character is apparently present on Walpurgis Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Walpurgis Night?
2. Describe Faust's vision of Gretchen.
3. Who is Barbara, and why is she being discussed by Gretchen and Lieschen?
4. What leads up to Faust pledging his love to Gretchen?
5. What comprises Valentine's final moments alive?
6. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
7. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen admit to worrying about in regards to Mephistopheles?
8. Describe the enormity of Gretchen's sorrows.
9. How does Valentine react to Gretchen's plight, as well as the presence of Faust?
10. Discuss the significance of Gretchen fearing Mephistopheles at the end of the play.
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)