|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) The gallows.
(b) The woods.
(c) Faust's study.
(d) The prison.
2. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) He will marry her one day soon.
(b) He will attend church with her.
(c) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
(d) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
3. Who is singing in the church?
(a) The priest.
(c) The choir.
(d) The altarboys.
4. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
5. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles when he appears in her cell?
(a) He is the devil who is coming for her.
(b) He is the doctor for her child.
(c) He is Faust.
(d) He is there to drain her blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
2. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
3. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
4. What is Faust unable to convince Gretchen to do in "A Prison"?
5. According to Musaget, what is easier to "govern than the Muses"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
2. What purpose does "At the Well" serve in terms of story and character?
3. What agreement does Faust and Mephistopheles come to when the former discovers that Gretchen had been pregnant and is now in prison and why?
4. What is the purpose of the potion?
5. What visions do Faust and Mephistopheles claim to have to their dancing partners?
6. How does Valentine react to Gretchen's plight, as well as the presence of Faust?
7. After meeting Faust, how does Gretchen admit to feeling about him during "Gretchen's Room"?
8. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
9. Describe the seduction of Gretchen up until the end of "A Forest Cavern."
10. Discuss the significance of Gretchen fearing Mephistopheles at the end of the play.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)