|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen discuss with Faust?
(a) Her relationship with God.
(b) His relationship with Mephistopheles.
(c) Her relationship to her mother.
(d) His relationship to his priest.
2. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He is sympathetic towards her.
(b) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
(c) He is furious with her.
(d) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
3. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He knows her secret.
(b) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
(c) He poisoned her drink.
(d) He has renounced God because of her.
4. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
(a) He is warning Faust that he will be caught if he does not leave.
(b) He is there to kill Gretchen.
(c) He is hiding from a witch.
(d) He removes his contract from Faust.
5. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
(a) A mass for the dead.
(b) Lenten rituals.
(c) Sunday morning mass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
2. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
3. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
4. While dancing with the young one in "Walpurgis Night," what vision does Faust claim to have had?
5. What purpose does Gretchen's song serve in prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen admit to worrying about in regards to Mephistopheles?
2. Describe the seduction of Gretchen up until the end of "A Forest Cavern."
3. Why must Faust lie to Martha about her husband?
4. What happens to Gretchen at the end of "A Cathedral"?
5. How does Valentine react to Gretchen's plight, as well as the presence of Faust?
6. What is ironic about Mephistopheles's statement that Gretchen is doomed?
7. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
8. What does Faust fear in regards to his relationship with Gretchen about Mephistopheles?
9. Discuss the significance of Gretchen fearing Mephistopheles at the end of the play.
10. Why does Mephistopheles keep trying to subvert Faust from examining his vision of Gretchen?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)