|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
(b) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
(c) Gretchen's dislike for men.
(d) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
2. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
(a) A mass for the dead.
(b) Sunday morning mass.
(d) Lenten rituals.
3. Who is singing in the church?
(a) The altarboys.
(b) The priest.
(c) The choir.
4. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) Faust's study.
(b) The woods.
(c) The prison.
(d) The gallows.
5. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
2. What does Mephistopheles agree to do if Faust frees Gretchen?
3. Why does Mephistopheles come to Gretchen's cell at the end of the play?
4. What does Faust promise Gretchen in "A Garden"?
5. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Barbara, and why is she being discussed by Gretchen and Lieschen?
2. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
3. Describe the seduction of Gretchen up until the end of "A Forest Cavern."
4. Why does Mephistopheles keep trying to subvert Faust from examining his vision of Gretchen?
5. What is Walpurgis Night?
6. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
7. What comprises Valentine's final moments alive?
8. Why does Gretchen refuse to escape from prison with Faust?
9. What does Faust fear in regards to his relationship with Gretchen about Mephistopheles?
10. Describe the enormity of Gretchen's sorrows.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)