|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles agree to do if Faust frees Gretchen?
(a) He will take them both to safety.
(b) He will free Faust from his bond.
(c) He will bring Gretchen's family back to life.
(d) He will give Gretchen a new identity so that she may start over.
2. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) Cast spells of old age on the rest of the witches.
(b) Sell her body.
(c) Pickpocket Faust.
(d) Sell her wares.
3. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
(a) He will be blaspheming.
(b) He will be sincere.
(c) He will be lying.
(d) He will be manipulating Gretchen into doing the same.
4. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen discuss with Faust?
(a) His relationship with Mephistopheles.
(b) Her relationship to her mother.
(c) His relationship to his priest.
(d) Her relationship with God.
5. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(b) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(c) He scares her.
(d) Nosy neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
2. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
3. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
4. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
5. According to Musaget, what is easier to "govern than the Muses"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the characters in the chapter "Walpurgis Night."
2. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
3. Describe the enormity of Gretchen's sorrows.
4. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
5. What happens to Gretchen at the end of "A Cathedral"?
6. Discuss the significance of Gretchen fearing Mephistopheles at the end of the play.
7. After meeting Faust, how does Gretchen admit to feeling about him during "Gretchen's Room"?
8. Why is Gretchen is prison?
9. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
10. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)