|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
(a) She believes Barbara is getting what she deserves.
(b) She is afraid of Barbara and her bad luck.
(c) She thinks that Barbara deserves nothing but help and sympathy.
(d) She believes Barbara is being unfairly maligned, but Barbara has no one to blame but herself.
2. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles?
(a) He is a wandering soldier.
(b) He is Faust's brother.
(c) He is a bad influence on Faust.
(d) He needs to go with her to church.
3. What can Mephistopheles not do for Gretchen in "A Gloomy Day?"
(a) Set her free from prison.
(b) Absolve her of her sins.
(c) Restore her virginity.
(d) Bring her mother back to life.
4. According to Lieschen, how did Barbara spend her evenings and nights?
(b) With men.
(c) With her mother.
(d) Dancing in the woods.
5. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
(a) She will live her days out in a madhouse.
(b) She will commit suicide.
(c) She will become a martyr for women everywhere.
(d) She is doomed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
2. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
3. What is Faust unable to convince Gretchen to do in "A Prison"?
4. What does Gretchen initially believe about Faust when he comes into her cell?
5. Which of the following is not a character in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)