|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
(a) Gretchen has dishonored herself forever.
(b) Gretchen will go to Hell.
(c) Gretchen will sit in Purgatory forever.
(d) Gretchen is redeemed.
2. For what reasons does Gretchen want Faust to go to a particular location in "A Prison"?
(a) She wants him to pray for his soul.
(b) She wants him to visit their child's grave.
(c) She wants him to be there when she dies.
(d) She wants him to save the child she drowned there.
3. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) He scares her.
(b) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(c) Nosy neighbors.
(d) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
4. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
(a) He is protecting Gretchen's honor.
(b) He thinks Faust raped Gretchen.
(c) Faust insulted him.
(d) Mephistopheles cast a spell on Valentine to manipulate him into a duel.
5. What is Faust awed by, according to the beginning of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) He has no feelings beyond lust for Gretchen.
(b) Gretchen understands his feelings about God.
(c) He has fallen deeply in love with Gretchen.
(d) Gretchen refuses to be swayed by Mephistopheles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
2. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
3. Of what is Faust irrationally jealous in regards to its proximity to Gretchen?
4. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles when he appears in her cell?
5. Who is Valentine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement does Faust and Mephistopheles come to when the former discovers that Gretchen had been pregnant and is now in prison and why?
2. What purpose does "At the Well" serve in terms of story and character?
3. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
4. What does Faust fear in regards to his relationship with Gretchen about Mephistopheles?
5. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
6. Why must Faust lie to Martha about her husband?
7. Why does Mephistopheles keep trying to subvert Faust from examining his vision of Gretchen?
8. What visions do Faust and Mephistopheles claim to have to their dancing partners?
9. Who is Barbara, and why is she being discussed by Gretchen and Lieschen?
10. What is Walpurgis Night?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)