|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Gretchen ask permission when she is unable to recognize Faust in her cell?
(a) To feed her baby.
(b) To pray to God.
(c) To contact her lover.
(d) To sleep awhile longer.
2. For what reasons does Gretchen want Faust to go to a particular location in "A Prison"?
(a) She wants him to visit their child's grave.
(b) She wants him to pray for his soul.
(c) She wants him to be there when she dies.
(d) She wants him to save the child she drowned there.
3. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) St. Anthony.
(d) Jesus Christ.
4. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) The prison.
(b) The gallows.
(c) The woods.
(d) Faust's study.
5. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
(a) Gretchen will no longer have the innocence to which Faust is so attracted.
(b) Mephistopheles's influence over Gretchen will be broken.
(c) Mephistopheles will also get pleasure from the act.
(d) Mephistopheles will be powerless until Faust sleeps with Gretchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
2. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
3. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
4. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
5. What is Faust awed by, according to the beginning of "A Forest Cavern"?
Short Essay Questions
1. After meeting Faust, how does Gretchen admit to feeling about him during "Gretchen's Room"?
2. What is Walpurgis Night?
3. Describe some of the characters in the chapter "Walpurgis Night."
4. What happens to Gretchen at the end of "A Cathedral"?
5. What torments Gretchen at the cathedral and why?
6. What is the purpose of the potion?
7. What visions do Faust and Mephistopheles claim to have to their dancing partners?
8. What does Faust fear in regards to his relationship with Gretchen about Mephistopheles?
9. How does Valentine react to Gretchen's plight, as well as the presence of Faust?
10. Who is Barbara, and why is she being discussed by Gretchen and Lieschen?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)