|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
(a) A belt made out of human skin.
(b) A tattered cape.
(c) A broken crown.
(d) A large black boot.
2. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
3. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will only come closer to God.
(b) Faust will go insane.
(c) Faust will not recognize evil.
(d) Faust will turn away from God.
4. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He resents God.
(b) He lusts after a village girl.
(c) He is unhappy with life.
(d) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
5. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
(a) The girl's ring.
(b) The promise of marriage from the girl.
(c) The girl's name.
(d) A visit to the girl's bedroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
3. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
4. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
5. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
2. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
3. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
4. Describe the argument between the director, the clown, and the poet in "Prelude on the Stage."
5. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
6. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
7. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
8. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
9. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
10. Describe the differing opinions of Gretchen, her mother, and Martha about the mysterious jewels.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)