|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(b) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(c) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(d) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
2. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She falls into the fire.
(b) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
(c) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
(d) The baboon lets it boil over.
3. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(b) He steals an article of clothing.
(c) He lays down in her bed.
(d) Visualizes her growing up.
4. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is burning his books.
(b) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(c) He is reading the Bible.
(d) He is writing a suicide note.
5. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will go insane.
(b) Faust will not recognize evil.
(c) Faust will turn away from God.
(d) Faust will only come closer to God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
2. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
3. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
4. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
5. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
2. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
3. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
4. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
5. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
6. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
7. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
8. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
9. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
10. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)