|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He steals an article of clothing.
(b) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(c) Visualizes her growing up.
(d) He lays down in her bed.
2. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(b) She tries to kiss him.
(d) She is flattered.
3. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) Three of the men die.
(b) They begin to speak in tongues.
(c) They begin to fall asleep.
(d) They begin to hallucinate.
0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
5. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are all heretics.
(b) The people are liars.
(c) The people respect him.
(d) The people are mocking him.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
2. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
3. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
4. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
5. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
2. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
3. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
4. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
5. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
6. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
7. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
8. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
9. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
10. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)