|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
(c) He is jealous of her wealth.
(d) He is going to kill her one day.
2. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
(a) He tells her that she deserves to move on immediately.
(b) He tells her to grieve for him for the rest of her life.
(c) He tells her to grieve for the appropriate time and then find a new husband.
(d) He tells her that God will punish her if she ever speaks a word against her husband.
3. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(b) He becomes afraid.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He falls asleep.
4. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will turn away from God.
(b) Faust will not recognize evil.
(c) Faust will only come closer to God.
(d) Faust will go insane.
5. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is in jail.
(b) Her husband is on his way home.
(c) Her husband has joined the militia.
(d) Her husband is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
2. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
3. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
4. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
5. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
2. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
3. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
4. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
5. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
6. Describe the differing opinions of Gretchen, her mother, and Martha about the mysterious jewels.
7. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
8. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
9. How does Faust feel about the mystery girl he sees in the mirror and in the street?
10. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)