|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) Present time for the production.
(b) The past.
(c) The present as it was when the play was written.
(d) The future.
2. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
3. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
(a) It is his pet from childhood.
(b) It is a sign from God.
(c) It is an escaped pet.
(d) It is an evil spirit.
4. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Dried meat.
(b) Gold coins.
(c) Drinks he conjured up.
(d) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
5. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A male dog.
(b) A female baboon.
(c) A female cat.
(d) A male turtle.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
2. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
3. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
4. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
5. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
2. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
3. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
4. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
5. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
6. What is the fate of the first box of jewels that Mephistopheles secretly leaves Gretchen and why?
7. What debate arises between Mephistopheles and God in regards to Faust?
8. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
9. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
10. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)