|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(b) She is suspicious of all men.
(c) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(d) She is afraid of the outside world.
2. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He steals an article of clothing.
(b) He lays down in her bed.
(c) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(d) Visualizes her growing up.
3. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
(b) Spiritual fulfillment.
(c) The memories of his loved ones.
(d) Political activism.
4. What is Faust's title?
5. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(b) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(c) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
(d) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
2. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
3. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
4. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
5. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
2. What happens when Mephistopheles and Faust go to the tavern in Leipzig?
3. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
4. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
5. How does Faust feel about the mystery girl he sees in the mirror and in the street?
6. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
7. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
8. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
9. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
10. What is the fate of the first box of jewels that Mephistopheles secretly leaves Gretchen and why?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)