|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(b) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(c) He is attracted to a witch.
(d) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
2. What holiday is being celebrated in "Outside the Town Wall"?
(a) May Day.
(c) New Year.
3. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) In the next room.
(b) Under the couch.
(c) Behind the stove.
(d) In plain sight of Faust.
4. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
(b) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(c) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
(d) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
5. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(b) He looks down upon them.
(c) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(d) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
2. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
3. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
4. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
5. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
2. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
3. Describe the argument between the director, the clown, and the poet in "Prelude on the Stage."
4. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
5. Why does the black poodle disturb Faust?
6. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
7. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
8. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
9. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
10. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)