|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
(a) In the water in the cauldron.
(b) In the fire.
(c) In a mirror.
(d) In a bottle of wine.
2. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) He wants to create a grand piece of art.
(b) He wants to be seen by the director of a better theater.
(c) He wants to entertain the audience.
(d) He wants to play the lead.
3. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is afraid of the outside world.
(b) She is suspicious of all men.
(c) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(d) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
4. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
(a) She should run away to another town.
(b) She should take a lover.
(c) She should enter a nunnery.
(d) She should become an actress.
5. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is burning his books.
(b) He is reading the Bible.
(c) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(d) He is writing a suicide note.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
2. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
3. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
4. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
5. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
2. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
3. What happens when Mephistopheles and Faust go to the tavern in Leipzig?
4. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
5. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
6. Why does the black poodle disturb Faust?
7. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
8. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
9. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
10. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)