|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(b) He is attracted to a witch.
(c) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(d) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
2. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
(b) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
(c) The jewelry is gaudy.
(d) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
3. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
(b) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(c) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
(d) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
4. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
5. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
2. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
3. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
4. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
5. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
2. Why does Gretchen refuse to escape from prison with Faust?
3. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
4. What comprises Valentine's final moments alive?
5. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
6. What does Faust ask of Gretchen during "Martha's Garden" and how does she (and Mephistopheles) react to this?
7. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
8. Why is Gretchen praying to the Virgin Mary?
9. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
10. Describe the argument between the director, the clown, and the poet in "Prelude on the Stage."
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)