|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
(a) A pentagram.
(b) A triangles.
(c) A circle.
(d) A series of squares.
2. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(b) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
(c) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
(d) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
3. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) A child praying.
(b) The priests doing charitable works.
(c) The Easter hymnals.
(d) The sunlight.
4. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She does not like to go outside.
(b) She is attracted to Faust.
(c) She wishes to become a nun.
(d) She is afraid of men.
5. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
(a) He is Faust's nephew.
(b) He is Faust's student.
(c) He is Faust's caretaker.
(d) He is Faust's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
2. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
3. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
4. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
5. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
2. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
3. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
4. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
5. Describe the argument between the director, the clown, and the poet in "Prelude on the Stage."
6. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
7. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
8. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
9. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
10. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)