|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He is unhappy with life.
(b) He resents God.
(c) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
(d) He lusts after a village girl.
2. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A true artistic statement.
(b) A scathing look at society.
(c) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
3. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He steals an article of clothing.
(b) Visualizes her growing up.
(c) He lays down in her bed.
(d) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
4. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The forest.
(b) The river.
(c) The church.
(d) The countryside.
5. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
(a) Seduce a random woman.
(b) See the girl from the mirror.
(c) Join the militia.
(d) Travel to another country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
2. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
3. Where does "Night" take place?
4. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
5. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
2. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
3. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
4. What happens when Mephistopheles and Faust go to the tavern in Leipzig?
5. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
6. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
7. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
8. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
9. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
10. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)