|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He plays piano for them.
(b) He sings for them.
(c) He dances for them.
(d) He creates illusions for them.
2. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) The Old Testament backwards.
(b) The Necronomicon.
(c) A spellbook.
(d) The Book of Kells.
3. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will introduce her to Faust.
(b) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(c) He will say a prayer for her.
(d) He will sell the jewelry for her.
4. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(a) Dagger to the heart.
(d) Gunshot to the head.
5. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She holds paradise in her body.
(b) She is his daughter.
(c) She will save his soul.
(d) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
2. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
3. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
4. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
5. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
2. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
3. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
4. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
5. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
6. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
7. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
8. How does Faust feel about the mystery girl he sees in the mirror and in the street?
9. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
10. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)