|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(b) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
(c) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(d) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
2. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She falls into the fire.
(b) The baboon lets it boil over.
(c) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
(d) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
3. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black rabbit.
(b) A black crow.
(c) A black poodle.
(d) A black cat.
4. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(b) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
(c) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(d) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
5. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
(a) Sacrifice a white goat.
(b) Keep moving.
(c) Bathe in full moonlight.
(d) Eat a specific herb that can only be seen at midnight.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
2. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
3. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
4. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
5. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the differing opinions of Gretchen, her mother, and Martha about the mysterious jewels.
2. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
3. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
4. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
5. Why does the black poodle disturb Faust?
6. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
7. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
8. How does Faust feel about the mystery girl he sees in the mirror and in the street?
9. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
10. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)