|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
(a) Bathe in full moonlight.
(b) Eat a specific herb that can only be seen at midnight.
(c) Sacrifice a white goat.
(d) Keep moving.
2. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A female cat.
(b) A male dog.
(c) A female baboon.
(d) A male turtle.
3. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
(b) Sabotaging him on purpose.
(c) Giving him his big break.
(d) Stifling his creativity.
4. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(d) A cross hangs over the door.
5. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is afraid of the outside world.
(b) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(c) She is suspicious of all men.
(d) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
2. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
3. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
4. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
5. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
2. What debate arises between Mephistopheles and God in regards to Faust?
3. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
4. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
5. How does Faust feel about the mystery girl he sees in the mirror and in the street?
6. Why does the black poodle disturb Faust?
7. Describe the argument between the director, the clown, and the poet in "Prelude on the Stage."
8. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
9. What is the fate of the first box of jewels that Mephistopheles secretly leaves Gretchen and why?
10. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)