|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are mocking him.
(b) The people respect him.
(c) The people are liars.
(d) The people are all heretics.
2. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to hallucinate.
(b) Three of the men die.
(c) They begin to fall asleep.
(d) They begin to speak in tongues.
3. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(b) He is reading the Bible.
(c) He is writing a suicide note.
(d) He is burning his books.
4. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(b) The Qur'an.
(c) Myths about Mesopotamia.
(d) The Odyssey.
5. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(b) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
(c) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
(d) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
2. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
3. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
4. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
5. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
2. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
3. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
4. Describe the argument between the director, the clown, and the poet in "Prelude on the Stage."
5. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
6. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
7. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
8. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
9. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
10. What is the fate of the first box of jewels that Mephistopheles secretly leaves Gretchen and why?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)