Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
(a) He tells her to grieve for the appropriate time and then find a new husband.
(b) He tells her that God will punish her if she ever speaks a word against her husband.
(c) He tells her that she deserves to move on immediately.
(d) He tells her to grieve for him for the rest of her life.
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
(a) Keep moving.
(b) Sacrifice a white goat.
(c) Bathe in full moonlight.
(d) Eat a specific herb that can only be seen at midnight.
3. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(b) He is attracted to a witch.
(c) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(d) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
4. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The countryside.
(b) The church.
(c) The forest.
(d) The river.
5. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She falls into the fire.
(b) The baboon lets it boil over.
(c) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
(d) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
2. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
3. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
4. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
5. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Martha and Mephistopheles's interactions in "A Garden."
2. What does Faust fear in regards to his relationship with Gretchen about Mephistopheles?
3. After meeting Faust, how does Gretchen admit to feeling about him during "Gretchen's Room"?
4. What happens to Gretchen at the end of "A Cathedral"?
5. How does Valentine react to Gretchen's plight, as well as the presence of Faust?
6. Who is Barbara, and why is she being discussed by Gretchen and Lieschen?
7. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
8. Why does Mephistopheles keep trying to subvert Faust from examining his vision of Gretchen?
9. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
10. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)