|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) The present as it was when the play was written.
(b) Present time for the production.
(c) The future.
(d) The past.
2. Where does "Night" take place?
(a) Faust's bedroom.
(b) Faust's kitchen.
(c) Faust's study.
(d) Faust's private chapel.
3. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
(b) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
(c) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(d) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
4. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(b) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(c) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(d) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
5. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is afraid of the outside world.
(b) She is suspicious of all men.
(c) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(d) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
2. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
3. What is Faust's title?
4. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
5. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
2. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
3. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
4. How does Faust feel about the mystery girl he sees in the mirror and in the street?
5. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
6. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
7. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
8. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
9. What is the fate of the first box of jewels that Mephistopheles secretly leaves Gretchen and why?
10. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)