|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They only want to sleep with her.
(b) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
(c) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(d) They pity her because of her poverty.
2. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are mocking him.
(b) The people respect him.
(c) The people are liars.
(d) The people are all heretics.
3. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
(b) He will leave Mephistopheles.
(c) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
(d) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
4. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(b) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(c) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(d) He is attracted to a witch.
5. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The church bells.
(b) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
(c) The sound of children playing.
(d) The rising sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
2. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
3. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
4. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
5. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
2. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
3. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
4. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
5. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
6. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
7. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
8. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
9. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
10. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)