|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are all heretics.
(b) The people are liars.
(c) The people are mocking him.
(d) The people respect him.
2. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(b) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(c) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(d) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
3. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black rabbit.
(b) A black poodle.
(c) A black cat.
(d) A black crow.
4. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) The effects of the witch's potion.
(b) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(c) Gifts for the girl.
(d) The girl's name.
5. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
(a) Wasting his life in a pub.
(b) Following in Faust's footsteps of being a scholar.
(c) Going into the seminary.
(d) Becoming a barrister.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
2. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
3. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
4. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
5. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does "At the Well" serve in terms of story and character?
2. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
3. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
4. What is ironic about Mephistopheles's statement that Gretchen is doomed?
5. What happens when Mephistopheles and Faust go to the tavern in Leipzig?
6. Why must Faust lie to Martha about her husband?
7. What comprises Valentine's final moments alive?
8. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
9. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
10. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)