|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) They exit through the window.
(b) They are kicked out of the pub.
(c) They are arrested.
(d) They vanish.
2. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) A cross hangs over the door.
(d) Faust left his Bible by the door.
3. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The countryside.
(b) The river.
(c) The church.
(d) The forest.
4. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(b) A scathing look at society.
(c) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
(d) A true artistic statement.
5. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(b) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
(c) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(d) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
2. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
3. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
4. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
5. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
2. What debate arises between Mephistopheles and God in regards to Faust?
3. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
4. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
5. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
6. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
7. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
8. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
9. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
10. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)