Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
(a) Perform a comedy.
(b) They will perform a classic tragedy instead of their play.
(c) Take the audience on a journey from heaven to hell.
(d) Take suggestions from the audience and create a play.
2. What is Faust's title?
3. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
(a) The promise of marriage from the girl.
(b) The girl's name.
(c) A visit to the girl's bedroom.
(d) The girl's ring.
4. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The countryside.
(b) The forest.
(c) The river.
(d) The church.
0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
2. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
3. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
4. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
5. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
2. What is "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" and what purpose does it serve?
3. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
4. Why does Mephistopheles keep trying to subvert Faust from examining his vision of Gretchen?
5. What purpose does "At the Well" serve in terms of story and character?
6. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
7. What is Walpurgis Night?
8. Describe Faust's vision of Gretchen.
9. For what reasons does the director decide that the audience should experience a journey from heaven to hell in this play?
10. Why does the black poodle disturb Faust?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)