|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(b) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(c) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(d) He drowned at sea.
2. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(b) He looks down upon them.
(c) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(d) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
3. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is on his way home.
(b) Her husband has joined the militia.
(c) Her husband is dead.
(d) Her husband is in jail.
4. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
5. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) His own blood.
(b) Consecrated wine.
(c) Mephistopheles's blood.
(d) Ink made up of blood and ash.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
2. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
3. .0 0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
4. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
5. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument between the director, the clown, and the poet in "Prelude on the Stage."
2. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
3. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
4. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
5. Why does the black poodle disturb Faust?
6. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
7. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
8. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
9. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
10. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)