|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Casting the right actors.
(b) Creating true art.
(c) Astounding the audience.
(d) Making money.
2. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can draw Faust away from God.
(b) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(c) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(d) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
3. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(b) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(c) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(d) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
4. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
(b) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
(c) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(d) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
5. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The church bells.
(b) The sound of children playing.
(c) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
(d) The rising sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
2. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
3. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
4. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
5. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
2. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
3. How does the poodle behave before transforming into Mephistopheles?
4. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
5. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
6. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
7. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
8. Why is the witch in a bad mood when she finally appears to Faust and Mephistopheles?
9. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
10. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)