|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The fireplace.
(b) The chimney.
(c) The cauldron.
(d) The window.
2. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
3. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(a) A dressmaker's shop.
(b) His sister's house.
(c) The street.
4. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(b) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(c) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(d) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
5. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
(a) A belt made out of human skin.
(b) A broken crown.
(c) A large black boot.
(d) A tattered cape.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
2. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
3. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
4. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
5. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
2. What is the fate of the first box of jewels that Mephistopheles secretly leaves Gretchen and why?
3. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
4. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
5. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
6. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
7. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
8. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
9. Describe the differing opinions of Gretchen, her mother, and Martha about the mysterious jewels.
10. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)