|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Consecrated wine.
(b) Ink made up of blood and ash.
(c) His own blood.
(d) Mephistopheles's blood.
2. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
(a) She should take a lover.
(b) She should run away to another town.
(c) She should become an actress.
(d) She should enter a nunnery.
3. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can draw Faust away from God.
(b) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(c) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(d) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
4. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A barrister.
(b) A broker.
(c) A student.
(d) A priest.
5. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The countryside.
(b) The forest.
(c) The church.
(d) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
2. .0 0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
3. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
4. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
5. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
2. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
3. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
4. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
5. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
6. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
7. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
8. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
9. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
10. What debate arises between Mephistopheles and God in regards to Faust?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)