|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
(b) Dried meat.
(c) Drinks he conjured up.
(d) Gold coins.
2. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) The Easter hymnals.
(b) A child praying.
(c) The sunlight.
(d) The priests doing charitable works.
3. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The river.
(b) The church.
(c) The forest.
(d) The countryside.
4. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black poodle.
(b) A black crow.
(c) A black cat.
(d) A black rabbit.
5. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The sound of children playing.
(b) The church bells.
(c) The rising sun.
(d) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
2. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
3. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
4. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
5. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the argument between the director, the clown, and the poet in "Prelude on the Stage."
2. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
3. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
4. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
5. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
6. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
7. Why does the black poodle disturb Faust?
8. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
9. What debate arises between Mephistopheles and God in regards to Faust?
10. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)