|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(b) He will say a prayer for her.
(c) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(d) He will introduce her to Faust.
2. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She spits at Faust.
(b) She does not recognize him as her master.
(c) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
(d) She hits her baboons.
3. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(b) She tries to kiss him.
(c) She is flattered.
4. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Giving him his big break.
(b) Stifling his creativity.
(c) Sabotaging him on purpose.
(d) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
5. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A scathing look at society.
(b) A true artistic statement.
(c) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
2. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
3. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
4. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
5. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
2. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
3. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
4. What primary function does the clown serve during "Prelude on the Stage"?
5. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
6. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
7. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
8. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
9. Describe the steps taken to make Faust appear younger.
10. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)