|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) Myths about Mesopotamia.
(d) The Odyssey.
2. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
(a) He tells her that she deserves to move on immediately.
(b) He tells her that God will punish her if she ever speaks a word against her husband.
(c) He tells her to grieve for him for the rest of her life.
(d) He tells her to grieve for the appropriate time and then find a new husband.
3. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(b) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(c) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(d) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
4. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
(a) In the fire.
(b) In a bottle of wine.
(c) In a mirror.
(d) In the water in the cauldron.
5. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) The jewelry is gaudy.
(b) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
(c) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(d) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
2. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
3. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
4. .0 0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
5. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What debate arises between Mephistopheles and God in regards to Faust?
2. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
3. How do Faust and Mephistopheles plan to get the girl for Faust at the end of "A Street"?
4. Describe Faust and Wagner's relationship.
5. Why does the black poodle disturb Faust?
6. What does Mephistopheles suggest to Gretchen about marriage and why?
7. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
8. What does Mephistopheles tell Martha about her husband when he visits them in disguise?
9. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
10. What is the fate of the first box of jewels that Mephistopheles secretly leaves Gretchen and why?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)