|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
(b) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
(c) The baboon lets it boil over.
(d) She falls into the fire.
2. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He lays down in her bed.
(b) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(c) Visualizes her growing up.
(d) He steals an article of clothing.
3. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
(a) He is Faust's nephew.
(b) He is Faust's caretaker.
(c) He is Faust's cousin.
(d) He is Faust's student.
4. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(b) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(c) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(d) He is attracted to a witch.
5. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He becomes afraid.
(b) He gets drunk.
(c) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(d) He falls asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
2. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
3. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
4. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
5. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
2. What does Gretchen admit out loud to herself while she is alone during "Evening"?
3. What does Faust admit to being jealous of and why?
4. In the "Dedication," why is Goethe so wistful?
5. Describe Faust's crisis during "Night" and "Outside the Town Wall."
6. What does Wagner note about the townspeople he and Faust walk with on Easter, and how does Faust dispute his thoughts?
7. What concerns does Faust have in regards to his bargain with the devil?
8. What visions do Faust and Mephistopheles claim to have to their dancing partners?
9. Describe the bargain between Faust and Mephistopheles.
10. What leads up to Faust's suicide attempt and what stops him?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)