|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
(a) Under her bed.
(b) By the window.
(c) Her cabinet.
(d) On her pillow.
2. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
3. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
(a) Following in Faust's footsteps of being a scholar.
(b) Wasting his life in a pub.
(c) Becoming a barrister.
(d) Going into the seminary.
4. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
(a) He is Faust's caretaker.
(b) He is Faust's nephew.
(c) He is Faust's student.
(d) He is Faust's cousin.
5. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He becomes afraid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
2. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
3. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
4. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
5. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Faust decide to try witchcraft in his first scene?
2. Why does Mephistopheles have no power over the girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
3. Why is Mephistopheles initially held prisoner by Faust and how does he escape?
4. What debate arises between Mephistopheles and God in regards to Faust?
5. Describe the actions of the baboons in "A Witch's Kitchen."
6. What does Martha suggest Gretchen do with the second box of jewelry in "The Neighbor's House"?
7. Describe the differing opinions of Gretchen, her mother, and Martha about the mysterious jewels.
8. What happens when Mephistopheles and Faust go to the tavern in Leipzig?
9. During the second scene called "Faust's Study," what does Faust admit to Mephistopheles?
10. Why is Mephistopheles bored with and disdainful of mankind?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)