|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of Gretchen's brother?
2. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(b) Mephistopheles's soul.
(c) Atonement for her sins.
(d) Forgiveness for Faust.
3. For what reasons does Gretchen want Faust to go to a particular location in "A Prison"?
(a) She wants him to pray for his soul.
(b) She wants him to save the child she drowned there.
(c) She wants him to be there when she dies.
(d) She wants him to visit their child's grave.
4. For what does Gretchen ask permission when she is unable to recognize Faust in her cell?
(a) To contact her lover.
(b) To feed her baby.
(c) To pray to God.
(d) To sleep awhile longer.
5. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
6. What is the name of Gretchen's friend?
7. Why must Faust cling to the rocks on the mountain?
(a) The witches and wizards may knock him off while dancing.
(b) The fires from Hell might drag him down.
(c) The rocks are slick from the rains.
(d) The wind could knock him off the mountain.
8. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) The Harpies.
9. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) The prison.
(b) Faust's study.
(c) The woods.
(d) The gallows.
10. From where does the voice at the end of "Faust" come?
11. Why does Faust fear Mephistopheles's influence over his happiness with Gretchen in "A Cavern"?
(a) He knows Mephistopheles wants Gretchen for himself.
(b) He knows Gretchen is protected by God.
(c) He knows Mephistopheles could take everything away.
(d) He knows Gretchen fears Mephistopheles.
12. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
(a) He knows that a disguise is pointless amongst witches.
(b) He cannot be disguised for celebrations.
(c) He wants to bask in their adulation.
(d) He does not want to deny his heritage.
13. What does Faust see around Gretchen's neck in his vision of her in "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) The necklace he gave her.
(b) A knife cut.
(c) A rope.
(d) A chain.
14. Who criticizes the dancing on the mountain?
(a) The Huckster-Witch.
(c) The Proctophantamist.
15. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She is dying.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She killed her mother on purpose.
(d) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
2. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
3. To which author do the characters in the chapter "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" belong?
4. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
5. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)