|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
(b) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
(c) The body of Christ is choking her.
(d) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
2. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
(d) A spirit.
3. According to Lieschen, how did Barbara spend her evenings and nights?
(a) Dancing in the woods.
(b) With men.
(d) With her mother.
4. Who is Valentine?
(a) Gretchen's brother.
(b) Gretchen's cousin.
(c) Gretchen's fiance.
(d) Gretchen's father.
5. What does Gretchen believe is on Faust's hand when she tries to hold it in her cell?
6. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
(b) Gretchen's dislike for men.
(c) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
(d) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
7. What about Faust concerns Gretchen the most?
(a) His atheism.
(b) The state of his soul.
(c) His attitude towards Martha.
(d) His love of drinking.
8. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
(a) Barbara is very ill.
(b) The father of Barbara's baby has run away.
(c) Barbara has renounced God.
(d) Barbara has recently been robbed and has no money.
9. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
(a) Gretchen will go to Hell.
(b) Gretchen has dishonored herself forever.
(c) Gretchen will sit in Purgatory forever.
(d) Gretchen is redeemed.
10. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The gallows.
(b) The church.
(c) The cemetary.
(d) The pond.
11. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
(a) He will be blaspheming.
(b) He will be manipulating Gretchen into doing the same.
(c) He will be lying.
(d) He will be sincere.
12. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
(b) An evil spirit.
(c) An angel.
13. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) Sell her wares.
(b) Sell her body.
(c) Pickpocket Faust.
(d) Cast spells of old age on the rest of the witches.
14. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She killed her mother on purpose.
(d) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
15. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
(a) Mephistopheles will also get pleasure from the act.
(b) Gretchen will no longer have the innocence to which Faust is so attracted.
(c) Mephistopheles's influence over Gretchen will be broken.
(d) Mephistopheles will be powerless until Faust sleeps with Gretchen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust give Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
2. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
3. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
4. When Faust has a vision of Gretchen on the night of the Walpurgis celebration, what does he see on her feet?
5. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)