|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She hates Mephistopheles.
(b) She is not in love with Faust.
(c) She has thought about killing herself before.
(d) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
2. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
(b) He is furious with her.
(c) He is sympathetic towards her.
(d) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
3. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
(a) Mephistopheles's influence over Gretchen will be broken.
(b) Mephistopheles will be powerless until Faust sleeps with Gretchen.
(c) Gretchen will no longer have the innocence to which Faust is so attracted.
(d) Mephistopheles will also get pleasure from the act.
4. What does Faust give Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) A book of philosophy.
(b) A flower.
(c) A sleeping potion.
(d) A ring.
5. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
(b) He will marry her one day soon.
(c) He will attend church with her.
(d) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
6. What about Faust concerns Gretchen the most?
(a) His love of drinking.
(b) His atheism.
(c) His attitude towards Martha.
(d) The state of his soul.
7. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
(a) Gretchen has dishonored herself forever.
(b) Gretchen will sit in Purgatory forever.
(c) Gretchen is redeemed.
(d) Gretchen will go to Hell.
8. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) The woods.
(b) The prison.
(c) Faust's study.
(d) The gallows.
9. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
(a) Barbara is very ill.
(b) Barbara has recently been robbed and has no money.
(c) The father of Barbara's baby has run away.
(d) Barbara has renounced God.
10. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
(a) She will commit suicide.
(b) She will become a martyr for women everywhere.
(c) She will live her days out in a madhouse.
(d) She is doomed.
11. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
(b) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
(c) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
(d) She is afraid that she needs protection.
12. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
(a) He asks if she would run away with him.
(b) He asks if they can sleep together.
(c) He asks if she would like to move in with him.
(d) He asks if they can get married.
13. What can Mephistopheles not do for Gretchen in "A Gloomy Day?"
(a) Absolve her of her sins.
(b) Bring her mother back to life.
(c) Restore her virginity.
(d) Set her free from prison.
14. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
(a) God forgiving the wicked.
(b) God punishing the wicked.
(c) Jesus healing the sick.
(d) Jesus raising the dead.
15. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
(a) She is afraid of Barbara and her bad luck.
(b) She believes Barbara is getting what she deserves.
(c) She thinks that Barbara deserves nothing but help and sympathy.
(d) She believes Barbara is being unfairly maligned, but Barbara has no one to blame but herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What purpose does Gretchen's song serve in prison?
2. How is most of "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" presented?
3. What scene is being presented in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
4. While dancing with the young one in "Walpurgis Night," what vision does Faust claim to have had?
5. According to Musaget, what is easier to "govern than the Muses"?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)