|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
(a) He will forget about her.
(b) Faust will not be able to stop thinking about her.
(c) Faust will probably need to laugh about her ignorance.
(d) Gretchen will cry herself to sleep out of loneliness.
2. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
(a) Faust will find another woman more attractive.
(b) Faust will take his feelings for Gretchen too far.
(c) Gretchen will outgrow her feelings for him.
(d) Faust will never find the courage to act on his lust.
3. What does Gretchen initially believe about Faust when he comes into her cell?
(a) He is a guard taking her to the gallows.
(b) He is the devil.
(c) He is there to rape her.
(d) He is a priest coming to administer her Last Rites.
4. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen discuss with Faust?
(a) His relationship with Mephistopheles.
(b) Her relationship with God.
(c) Her relationship to her mother.
(d) His relationship to his priest.
5. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
6. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
(a) She is afraid of Barbara and her bad luck.
(b) She thinks that Barbara deserves nothing but help and sympathy.
(c) She believes Barbara is getting what she deserves.
(d) She believes Barbara is being unfairly maligned, but Barbara has no one to blame but herself.
7. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Gretchen's dislike for men.
(b) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
(c) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
(d) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
8. Which Biblical character is apparently present on Walpurgis Night?
(a) Pontius Pilate.
9. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
(a) Faust must not look Martha in the eyes.
(b) Faust must not take Gretchen's virginity.
(c) Faust must never drink their wine, as it has been touched by a priest.
(d) Faust must lie about Martha's husband.
10. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She has thought about killing herself before.
(b) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
(c) She hates Mephistopheles.
(d) She is not in love with Faust.
11. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
(a) Get him drunk.
(b) Take him to confession.
(c) Seduce him.
(d) Get a marriage proposal.
12. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
(a) Baking bread.
(b) Making love.
13. How does Gretchen feel about Barbara?
(a) She is angry at her.
(b) She feels sorry for her.
(c) She feels ashamed of her.
(d) She feels triumphant at her friend's downfall.
14. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(b) Nosy neighbors.
(c) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(d) He scares her.
15. What purpose does Gretchen's song serve in prison?
(a) She thinks she is singing to her child.
(b) She is trying to send a message to Faust.
(c) She is trying to figure out who is responsible for her plight.
(d) She is trying to fool everyone into thinking she is mad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Valentine?
2. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
3. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
4. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
5. What purpose does "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" serve in this play?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)