|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What purpose does "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" serve in this play?
(a) Comic relief.
(b) A cover for Faust's escape.
(c) A ritual to conjure up a spell of eternal darkness.
(d) Commentary on Faust and Gretchen.
2. How does Gretchen feel about Barbara?
(a) She feels ashamed of her.
(b) She is angry at her.
(c) She feels triumphant at her friend's downfall.
(d) She feels sorry for her.
3. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
(b) A spirit.
4. What does Faust give Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) A flower.
(b) A sleeping potion.
(c) A ring.
(d) A book of philosophy.
5. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
(a) Making love.
(b) Baking bread.
6. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
(a) She attempted suicide.
(b) She killed her priest.
(c) She meant to murder her mother.
(d) She killed their baby.
7. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The cemetary.
(b) The gallows.
(c) The church.
(d) The pond.
8. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
(b) Gretchen's dislike for men.
(c) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
(d) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
9. For what does Gretchen ask permission when she is unable to recognize Faust in her cell?
(a) To sleep awhile longer.
(b) To feed her baby.
(c) To pray to God.
(d) To contact her lover.
10. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) Nosy neighbors.
(b) He scares her.
(c) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(d) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
11. Which of the following is not a character in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) The futurist.
(b) The idealist.
(c) The realist.
(d) The dogmatist.
12. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She killed her mother on purpose.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
(d) She is dying.
13. What scene is being presented in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) Bel-Imperia's imprisonment.
(b) Iphigenia's escape from Tauris.
(c) Titania and Oberon's wedding.
(d) The rape of Wendla.
14. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
(a) Faust will not be able to stop thinking about her.
(b) Faust will probably need to laugh about her ignorance.
(c) Gretchen will cry herself to sleep out of loneliness.
(d) He will forget about her.
15. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Martha's garden.
(c) Gretchen's bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Faust irrationally jealous in regards to its proximity to Gretchen?
2. What is Faust awed by, according to the beginning of "A Forest Cavern"?
3. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
4. To which author do the characters in the chapter "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" belong?
5. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)