|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She hates Mephistopheles.
(b) She is not in love with Faust.
(c) She has thought about killing herself before.
(d) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
2. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) He scares her.
(b) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(c) Nosy neighbors.
(d) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
3. According to Lieschen, how did Barbara spend her evenings and nights?
(b) Dancing in the woods.
(c) With her mother.
(d) With men.
4. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
(b) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
(c) The body of Christ is choking her.
(d) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
5. For what reasons does Gretchen want Faust to go to a particular location in "A Prison"?
(a) She wants him to visit their child's grave.
(b) She wants him to save the child she drowned there.
(c) She wants him to pray for his soul.
(d) She wants him to be there when she dies.
6. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
(a) The death of her mother.
(b) Her excommunication.
(c) Her rape by Mephistopheles.
(d) The murder of Martha.
7. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
(a) She will live her days out in a madhouse.
(b) She will commit suicide.
(c) She is doomed.
(d) She will become a martyr for women everywhere.
8. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
(a) He asks if she would like to move in with him.
(b) He asks if she would run away with him.
(c) He asks if they can sleep together.
(d) He asks if they can get married.
9. How does "A Cathedral" end?
(a) Gretchen dies.
(b) Gretchen attempts suicide.
(c) Gretchen faints.
(d) Gretchen renounces God.
10. What does Gretchen initially believe about Faust when he comes into her cell?
(a) He is a guard taking her to the gallows.
(b) He is the devil.
(c) He is there to rape her.
(d) He is a priest coming to administer her Last Rites.
11. Why must Faust cling to the rocks on the mountain?
(a) The fires from Hell might drag him down.
(b) The rocks are slick from the rains.
(c) The wind could knock him off the mountain.
(d) The witches and wizards may knock him off while dancing.
12. Who criticizes the dancing on the mountain?
(a) The Huckster-Witch.
(d) The Proctophantamist.
13. What does Valentine not do as he dies?
(a) He tells her the town will never accept or help Gretchen.
(b) He calls Gretchen a whore.
(c) He forgives Gretchen.
(d) He calls a curse down upon Gretchen.
14. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
(a) He will be manipulating Gretchen into doing the same.
(b) He will be lying.
(c) He will be blaspheming.
(d) He will be sincere.
15. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He knows her secret.
(b) He has renounced God because of her.
(c) He poisoned her drink.
(d) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
Short Answer Questions
1. While considering Faust's request in "Martha's Garden," of what is Gretchen afraid?
2. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
3. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
4. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
5. What is the purpose of the item Faust gives Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)