|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
2. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
(a) He asks if they can sleep together.
(b) He asks if she would like to move in with him.
(c) He asks if they can get married.
(d) He asks if she would run away with him.
3. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
(c) Baking bread.
(d) Making love.
4. What can Mephistopheles not do for Gretchen in "A Gloomy Day?"
(a) Absolve her of her sins.
(b) Bring her mother back to life.
(c) Restore her virginity.
(d) Set her free from prison.
5. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She is dying.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She killed her mother on purpose.
(d) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
6. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
(a) Gretchen will outgrow her feelings for him.
(b) Faust will find another woman more attractive.
(c) Faust will never find the courage to act on his lust.
(d) Faust will take his feelings for Gretchen too far.
7. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
8. While dancing with the young one in "Walpurgis Night," what vision does Faust claim to have had?
(a) A goat with two heads.
(b) An apple tree with two apples.
(c) An ocean wave crashing against the rocks.
(d) A tree being split with lightning
9. What does Faust promise Gretchen in "A Garden"?
(a) He will love her forever.
(b) He will get rid of Mephistopheles.
(c) He will go to confession.
(d) He will seek approval for their marriage from her mother.
10. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) Sell her wares.
(b) Pickpocket Faust.
(c) Sell her body.
(d) Cast spells of old age on the rest of the witches.
11. What is Faust unable to convince Gretchen to do in "A Prison"?
(a) Escape with him.
(b) Forgive him.
(c) Forgive herself.
(d) Renounce God.
12. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
(c) The Harpies.
13. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
(a) He thinks Faust raped Gretchen.
(b) Mephistopheles cast a spell on Valentine to manipulate him into a duel.
(c) Faust insulted him.
(d) He is protecting Gretchen's honor.
14. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Gretchen's bed.
(d) Martha's garden.
15. What does Mephistopheles agree to do if Faust frees Gretchen?
(a) He will bring Gretchen's family back to life.
(b) He will give Gretchen a new identity so that she may start over.
(c) He will free Faust from his bond.
(d) He will take them both to safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
2. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
3. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
4. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
5. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)