|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
(b) He will attend church with her.
(c) He will marry her one day soon.
(d) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
2. While dancing with the young one in "Walpurgis Night," what vision does Faust claim to have had?
(a) An apple tree with two apples.
(b) A goat with two heads.
(c) A tree being split with lightning
(d) An ocean wave crashing against the rocks.
3. While considering Faust's request in "Martha's Garden," of what is Gretchen afraid?
(a) God will punish her.
(b) Her mother will catch them.
(c) Her reputation will be ruined.
(d) Her mother will not approve of their marriage.
4. What purpose does "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" serve in this play?
(a) Comic relief.
(b) A ritual to conjure up a spell of eternal darkness.
(c) Commentary on Faust and Gretchen.
(d) A cover for Faust's escape.
5. When Faust has a vision of Gretchen on the night of the Walpurgis celebration, what does he see on her feet?
(b) Blood-soaked slippers.
(d) Nails from the Crucifixtion.
6. From what play are many of the characters in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" drawn?
(a) "Spring Awakening: A Children's Tragedy."
(b) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(c) "Iphigenia in Tauris."
(d) "The Spanish Tragedy."
7. What does Faust attempt to bring Gretchen during "The Street Outside Gretchen's Door"?
(a) A ring.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A bottle of wine.
(d) A flower.
8. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
(a) He asks if she would run away with him.
(b) He asks if they can sleep together.
(c) He asks if they can get married.
(d) He asks if she would like to move in with him.
9. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
(a) Barbara is very ill.
(b) Barbara has renounced God.
(c) The father of Barbara's baby has run away.
(d) Barbara has recently been robbed and has no money.
10. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
(a) Sunday morning mass.
(c) Lenten rituals.
(d) A mass for the dead.
11. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles when he appears in her cell?
(a) He is there to drain her blood.
(b) He is the doctor for her child.
(c) He is the devil who is coming for her.
(d) He is Faust.
12. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
(a) Faust must not take Gretchen's virginity.
(b) Faust must never drink their wine, as it has been touched by a priest.
(c) Faust must not look Martha in the eyes.
(d) Faust must lie about Martha's husband.
13. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
(a) Faust finds her attractive.
(b) Martha's husband is dead.
(c) Faust does not treat her like a simpleton.
(d) Mephistopheles remembers her.
14. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) The gallows.
(b) The prison.
(c) The woods.
(d) Faust's study.
15. What does Faust give Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) A sleeping potion.
(b) A book of philosophy.
(c) A ring.
(d) A flower.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Gretchen ask permission when she is unable to recognize Faust in her cell?
2. What does Mephistopheles suggest about Faust's vows of love to Gretchen in "A Street"?
3. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
4. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
5. Who criticizes the dancing on the mountain?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)