|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does "A Cathedral" end?
(a) Gretchen attempts suicide.
(b) Gretchen faints.
(c) Gretchen dies.
(d) Gretchen renounces God.
2. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She is not in love with Faust.
(b) She hates Mephistopheles.
(c) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
(d) She has thought about killing herself before.
3. Who is Barbara?
(a) An unwed, pregnant girl.
(b) Mephistopheles's favorite witch.
(c) Gretchen's sister.
(d) Faust's daughter.
4. What about Faust concerns Gretchen the most?
(a) His attitude towards Martha.
(b) The state of his soul.
(c) His atheism.
(d) His love of drinking.
5. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He knows her secret.
(b) He has renounced God because of her.
(c) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
(d) He poisoned her drink.
6. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
(a) Faust will probably need to laugh about her ignorance.
(b) Faust will not be able to stop thinking about her.
(c) Gretchen will cry herself to sleep out of loneliness.
(d) He will forget about her.
7. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
(a) Barbara has recently been robbed and has no money.
(b) Barbara is very ill.
(c) Barbara has renounced God.
(d) The father of Barbara's baby has run away.
8. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
9. Of what is Faust irrationally jealous in regards to its proximity to Gretchen?
(a) Her bed.
(b) The Body of Christ in Communion.
(c) Her bonnet.
(d) The necklace around her neck.
10. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
(a) She will become a martyr for women everywhere.
(b) She will commit suicide.
(c) She will live her days out in a madhouse.
(d) She is doomed.
11. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
(a) Faust must lie about Martha's husband.
(b) Faust must never drink their wine, as it has been touched by a priest.
(c) Faust must not look Martha in the eyes.
(d) Faust must not take Gretchen's virginity.
12. What does Faust give Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) A sleeping potion.
(b) A book of philosophy.
(c) A flower.
(d) A ring.
13. Which of the following is not a character in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) The futurist.
(b) The idealist.
(c) The dogmatist.
(d) The realist.
14. What does Faust promise Gretchen in "A Garden"?
(a) He will love her forever.
(b) He will seek approval for their marriage from her mother.
(c) He will go to confession.
(d) He will get rid of Mephistopheles.
15. From what play are many of the characters in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" drawn?
(a) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(b) "The Spanish Tragedy."
(c) "Iphigenia in Tauris."
(d) "Spring Awakening: A Children's Tragedy."
Short Answer Questions
1. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
2. Who is Valentine?
3. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
4. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
5. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)