|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
2. How does Gretchen feel about Barbara?
(a) She feels sorry for her.
(b) She feels triumphant at her friend's downfall.
(c) She feels ashamed of her.
(d) She is angry at her.
3. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
(a) She killed her priest.
(b) She killed their baby.
(c) She attempted suicide.
(d) She meant to murder her mother.
4. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
(b) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
(c) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
(d) She is afraid that she needs protection.
5. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She has thought about killing herself before.
(b) She hates Mephistopheles.
(c) She is not in love with Faust.
(d) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
6. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
(b) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
(c) Gretchen's dislike for men.
(d) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
7. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The body of Christ is choking her.
(b) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
(c) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
(d) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
8. To which author do the characters in the chapter "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" belong?
9. Who is Valentine?
(a) Gretchen's brother.
(b) Gretchen's fiance.
(c) Gretchen's father.
(d) Gretchen's cousin.
10. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(b) Gretchen's bed.
(c) Martha's garden.
11. Why does Gretchen say she no longer has in "A Prison"?
12. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
(a) He will forget about her.
(b) Faust will not be able to stop thinking about her.
(c) Gretchen will cry herself to sleep out of loneliness.
(d) Faust will probably need to laugh about her ignorance.
13. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(b) Nosy neighbors.
(c) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(d) He scares her.
14. What does Mephistopheles agree to do if Faust frees Gretchen?
(a) He will give Gretchen a new identity so that she may start over.
(b) He will take them both to safety.
(c) He will bring Gretchen's family back to life.
(d) He will free Faust from his bond.
15. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He is furious with her.
(b) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
(c) He is sympathetic towards her.
(d) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the voice at the end of "Faust" come?
2. What does Gretchen believe is on Faust's hand when she tries to hold it in her cell?
3. From what play are many of the characters in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" drawn?
4. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
5. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)