|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen discuss with Faust?
(a) His relationship with Mephistopheles.
(b) Her relationship to her mother.
(c) Her relationship with God.
(d) His relationship to his priest.
2. Initially, what is the only thing Gretchen recognizes as Faust when he is in her prison cell?
(a) His hands.
(b) His voice.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His lips.
3. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) Sell her body.
(b) Sell her wares.
(c) Cast spells of old age on the rest of the witches.
(d) Pickpocket Faust.
4. Who is Barbara?
(a) Mephistopheles's favorite witch.
(b) An unwed, pregnant girl.
(c) Gretchen's sister.
(d) Faust's daughter.
5. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
(a) She killed their baby.
(b) She meant to murder her mother.
(c) She attempted suicide.
(d) She killed her priest.
6. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
(a) He knows that a disguise is pointless amongst witches.
(b) He wants to bask in their adulation.
(c) He cannot be disguised for celebrations.
(d) He does not want to deny his heritage.
7. From where does the voice at the end of "Faust" come?
8. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles?
(a) He is a wandering soldier.
(b) He is a bad influence on Faust.
(c) He is Faust's brother.
(d) He needs to go with her to church.
9. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles when he appears in her cell?
(a) He is Faust.
(b) He is the doctor for her child.
(c) He is there to drain her blood.
(d) He is the devil who is coming for her.
10. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
(b) The Harpies.
11. What is Faust unable to convince Gretchen to do in "A Prison"?
(a) Renounce God.
(b) Forgive him.
(c) Escape with him.
(d) Forgive herself.
12. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
(a) She throws it in the water.
(b) She puts it in her hair.
(c) She plays "He loves me, he loves me not."
(d) She throws it in the fire.
13. What is the purpose of the item Faust gives Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) It will be a token of their secret engagement.
(b) She will understand him better after reading the book.
(c) She should pluck its petals to see if he loves her.
(d) It will put her mother to sleep.
14. What can Mephistopheles not do for Gretchen in "A Gloomy Day?"
(a) Bring her mother back to life.
(b) Set her free from prison.
(c) Restore her virginity.
(d) Absolve her of her sins.
15. Why does Gretchen say she no longer has in "A Prison"?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
2. How does Gretchen feel about Barbara?
3. Why does Faust fear Mephistopheles's influence over his happiness with Gretchen in "A Cavern"?
4. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
5. What does Gretchen initially believe about Faust when he comes into her cell?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)