|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
(a) Mephistopheles cast a spell on Valentine to manipulate him into a duel.
(b) He thinks Faust raped Gretchen.
(c) Faust insulted him.
(d) He is protecting Gretchen's honor.
2. Which Biblical character is apparently present on Walpurgis Night?
(d) Pontius Pilate.
3. Why does Gretchen say she no longer has in "A Prison"?
4. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
(b) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
(c) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
(d) The body of Christ is choking her.
5. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
(a) God forgiving the wicked.
(b) Jesus raising the dead.
(c) Jesus healing the sick.
(d) God punishing the wicked.
6. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She hates Mephistopheles.
(b) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
(c) She is not in love with Faust.
(d) She has thought about killing herself before.
7. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) St. Anthony.
8. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He is furious with her.
(b) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
(c) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
(d) He is sympathetic towards her.
9. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
(a) Barbara is very ill.
(b) Barbara has renounced God.
(c) The father of Barbara's baby has run away.
(d) Barbara has recently been robbed and has no money.
10. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
(a) She puts it in her hair.
(b) She plays "He loves me, he loves me not."
(c) She throws it in the water.
(d) She throws it in the fire.
11. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
(c) Making love.
(d) Baking bread.
12. Which of the following is not a character in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) The futurist.
(b) The realist.
(c) The idealist.
(d) The dogmatist.
13. What scene is being presented in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) Iphigenia's escape from Tauris.
(b) Titania and Oberon's wedding.
(c) The rape of Wendla.
(d) Bel-Imperia's imprisonment.
14. What does Valentine not do as he dies?
(a) He tells her the town will never accept or help Gretchen.
(b) He calls Gretchen a whore.
(c) He calls a curse down upon Gretchen.
(d) He forgives Gretchen.
15. What does Gretchen believe is on Faust's hand when she tries to hold it in her cell?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
2. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
3. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
4. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
5. What does Mephistopheles agree to do if Faust frees Gretchen?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)