|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
2. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
(a) Gretchen will go to Hell.
(b) Gretchen will sit in Purgatory forever.
(c) Gretchen is redeemed.
(d) Gretchen has dishonored herself forever.
3. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
(b) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
(c) She is afraid that she needs protection.
(d) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
4. Who is Barbara?
(a) Gretchen's sister.
(b) Faust's daughter.
(c) An unwed, pregnant girl.
(d) Mephistopheles's favorite witch.
5. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
(a) Barbara has renounced God.
(b) Barbara is very ill.
(c) The father of Barbara's baby has run away.
(d) Barbara has recently been robbed and has no money.
6. For what reasons does Gretchen want Faust to go to a particular location in "A Prison"?
(a) She wants him to pray for his soul.
(b) She wants him to be there when she dies.
(c) She wants him to save the child she drowned there.
(d) She wants him to visit their child's grave.
7. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(b) He scares her.
(c) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(d) Nosy neighbors.
8. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
(a) A spirit.
9. What does Mephistopheles agree to do if Faust frees Gretchen?
(a) He will free Faust from his bond.
(b) He will bring Gretchen's family back to life.
(c) He will give Gretchen a new identity so that she may start over.
(d) He will take them both to safety.
10. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
(a) Faust will never find the courage to act on his lust.
(b) Faust will take his feelings for Gretchen too far.
(c) Faust will find another woman more attractive.
(d) Gretchen will outgrow her feelings for him.
11. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He knows her secret.
(b) He poisoned her drink.
(c) He has renounced God because of her.
(d) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
12. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The church.
(b) The pond.
(c) The cemetary.
(d) The gallows.
13. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen discuss with Faust?
(a) His relationship with Mephistopheles.
(b) Her relationship to her mother.
(c) His relationship to his priest.
(d) Her relationship with God.
14. Which of the following is not a character in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) The futurist.
(b) The realist.
(c) The dogmatist.
(d) The idealist.
15. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
(a) God forgiving the wicked.
(b) Jesus healing the sick.
(c) God punishing the wicked.
(d) Jesus raising the dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
2. What is the purpose of the item Faust gives Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
3. Which mountains do Faust and Mephistopheles travel to in "Walpurgis Night"?
4. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
5. What is the occupation of Gretchen's brother?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)