|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
(b) An angel.
(d) An evil spirit.
2. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
(a) She meant to murder her mother.
(b) She killed her priest.
(c) She killed their baby.
(d) She attempted suicide.
3. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She is not in love with Faust.
(b) She has thought about killing herself before.
(c) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
(d) She hates Mephistopheles.
4. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
(a) Mephistopheles remembers her.
(b) Faust finds her attractive.
(c) Faust does not treat her like a simpleton.
(d) Martha's husband is dead.
5. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) Pickpocket Faust.
(b) Cast spells of old age on the rest of the witches.
(c) Sell her body.
(d) Sell her wares.
6. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
(b) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
(c) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
(d) Gretchen's dislike for men.
7. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) St. Anthony.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
8. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
(b) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
(c) She is afraid that she needs protection.
(d) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
9. What does Faust see around Gretchen's neck in his vision of her in "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) A rope.
(b) A knife cut.
(c) The necklace he gave her.
(d) A chain.
10. How does "A Cathedral" end?
(a) Gretchen dies.
(b) Gretchen attempts suicide.
(c) Gretchen renounces God.
(d) Gretchen faints.
11. From where does the voice at the end of "Faust" come?
12. While being tormented in "A Cathedral," what does Gretchen imagine happening?
(a) The body of Christ is choking her.
(b) The walls of the cathedral are closing in on her.
(c) The Communion wine has turned to blood.
(d) The giant crucifix is going to fall on her.
13. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
(b) He is furious with her.
(c) He is sympathetic towards her.
(d) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
14. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
(a) A spirit.
15. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Gretchen's bed.
(b) Martha's garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
2. When Faust has a vision of Gretchen on the night of the Walpurgis celebration, what does he see on her feet?
3. What does Gretchen initially believe about Faust when he comes into her cell?
4. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
5. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)