|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What purpose does "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" serve in this play?
(a) Commentary on Faust and Gretchen.
(b) A ritual to conjure up a spell of eternal darkness.
(c) Comic relief.
(d) A cover for Faust's escape.
2. What is the occupation of Gretchen's brother?
3. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
4. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(b) Nosy neighbors.
(c) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(d) He scares her.
5. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
(a) Gretchen is redeemed.
(b) Gretchen will go to Hell.
(c) Gretchen has dishonored herself forever.
(d) Gretchen will sit in Purgatory forever.
6. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
(a) He does not want to deny his heritage.
(b) He knows that a disguise is pointless amongst witches.
(c) He cannot be disguised for celebrations.
(d) He wants to bask in their adulation.
7. What scene is being presented in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) Titania and Oberon's wedding.
(b) The rape of Wendla.
(c) Iphigenia's escape from Tauris.
(d) Bel-Imperia's imprisonment.
8. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She has thought about killing herself before.
(b) She hates Mephistopheles.
(c) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
(d) She is not in love with Faust.
9. While dancing with the young one in "Walpurgis Night," what vision does Faust claim to have had?
(a) A goat with two heads.
(b) An ocean wave crashing against the rocks.
(c) A tree being split with lightning
(d) An apple tree with two apples.
10. Which mountains do Faust and Mephistopheles travel to in "Walpurgis Night"?
(a) The Hartz Mountains.
(b) The Black Forest Mountain Range.
(c) Eastern Alps.
11. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The gallows.
(b) The cemetary.
(c) The pond.
(d) The church.
12. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles when he appears in her cell?
(a) He is Faust.
(b) He is the devil who is coming for her.
(c) He is there to drain her blood.
(d) He is the doctor for her child.
13. Which of the following is not a character in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) The realist.
(b) The dogmatist.
(c) The idealist.
(d) The futurist.
14. In what language is the song heard during "A Cathedral"?
15. Who is Valentine?
(a) Gretchen's cousin.
(b) Gretchen's father.
(c) Gretchen's fiance.
(d) Gretchen's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
2. How is most of "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" presented?
3. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
4. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
5. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)