|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Gretchen's bed.
(b) Martha's garden.
2. What is the purpose of the item Faust gives Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
(a) It will put her mother to sleep.
(b) She should pluck its petals to see if he loves her.
(c) It will be a token of their secret engagement.
(d) She will understand him better after reading the book.
3. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Forgiveness for Faust.
(b) Atonement for her sins.
(d) Mephistopheles's soul.
4. What is Faust unable to convince Gretchen to do in "A Prison"?
(a) Forgive herself.
(b) Escape with him.
(c) Renounce God.
(d) Forgive him.
5. What does the voice at the end of "Faust" proclaim?
(a) Gretchen has dishonored herself forever.
(b) Gretchen will sit in Purgatory forever.
(c) Gretchen is redeemed.
(d) Gretchen will go to Hell.
6. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) He scares her.
(b) Nosy neighbors.
(c) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(d) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
7. In "A Garden," what does Gretchen admit to being surprised about?
(a) Faust finds her attractive.
(b) Faust does not treat her like a simpleton.
(c) Martha's husband is dead.
(d) Mephistopheles remembers her.
8. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
(d) A spirit.
9. According to Musaget, what is easier to "govern than the Muses"?
(b) The ocean waves.
10. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
(a) Jesus raising the dead.
(b) Jesus healing the sick.
(c) God forgiving the wicked.
(d) God punishing the wicked.
11. What scene is being presented in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream"?
(a) Iphigenia's escape from Tauris.
(b) The rape of Wendla.
(c) Titania and Oberon's wedding.
(d) Bel-Imperia's imprisonment.
12. What about Faust concerns Gretchen the most?
(a) The state of his soul.
(b) His attitude towards Martha.
(c) His atheism.
(d) His love of drinking.
13. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
14. What is Martha attempting to do with Mephistopheles in "A Garden"?
(a) Take him to confession.
(b) Get a marriage proposal.
(c) Get him drunk.
(d) Seduce him.
15. What purpose does Gretchen's song serve in prison?
(a) She is trying to figure out who is responsible for her plight.
(b) She is trying to fool everyone into thinking she is mad.
(c) She is trying to send a message to Faust.
(d) She thinks she is singing to her child.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what play are many of the characters in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" drawn?
2. While considering Faust's request in "Martha's Garden," of what is Gretchen afraid?
3. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
4. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
5. What can Mephistopheles not do for Gretchen in "A Gloomy Day?"
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)