|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
(a) She plays "He loves me, he loves me not."
(b) She throws it in the water.
(c) She throws it in the fire.
(d) She puts it in her hair.
2. What purpose does Gretchen's song serve in prison?
(a) She is trying to send a message to Faust.
(b) She is trying to figure out who is responsible for her plight.
(c) She thinks she is singing to her child.
(d) She is trying to fool everyone into thinking she is mad.
3. What does Mephistopheles mock to Faust after Gretchen leaves in "Martha's Garden?"
(a) Gretchen's dislike for men.
(b) Faust's infatuation with Gretchen.
(c) Gretchen's concern for Faust's soul.
(d) Gretchen's willingness to believe Faust will marry her.
4. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(b) Nosy neighbors.
(c) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(d) He scares her.
5. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
6. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
(a) He knows that a disguise is pointless amongst witches.
(b) He does not want to deny his heritage.
(c) He wants to bask in their adulation.
(d) He cannot be disguised for celebrations.
7. What is Faust unable to convince Gretchen to do in "A Prison"?
(a) Escape with him.
(b) Renounce God.
(c) Forgive herself.
(d) Forgive him.
8. What is the occupation of Gretchen's brother?
9. What does Mephistopheles warn Faust about in regards to his affections for Gretchen?
(a) Faust will take his feelings for Gretchen too far.
(b) Faust will never find the courage to act on his lust.
(c) Faust will find another woman more attractive.
(d) Gretchen will outgrow her feelings for him.
10. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The church.
(b) The gallows.
(c) The cemetary.
(d) The pond.
11. What can Mephistopheles not do for Gretchen in "A Gloomy Day?"
(a) Restore her virginity.
(b) Absolve her of her sins.
(c) Bring her mother back to life.
(d) Set her free from prison.
12. What does Gretchen believe is on Faust's hand when she tries to hold it in her cell?
13. What does Valentine not do as he dies?
(a) He tells her the town will never accept or help Gretchen.
(b) He forgives Gretchen.
(c) He calls Gretchen a whore.
(d) He calls a curse down upon Gretchen.
14. Who is singing in the church?
(a) The choir.
(b) The priest.
(d) The altarboys.
15. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
(a) Faust must never drink their wine, as it has been touched by a priest.
(b) Faust must not take Gretchen's virginity.
(c) Faust must not look Martha in the eyes.
(d) Faust must lie about Martha's husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Initially, what is the only thing Gretchen recognizes as Faust when he is in her prison cell?
2. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
3. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
4. While dancing with the young one in "Walpurgis Night," what vision does Faust claim to have had?
5. What does Martha warn Mephistopheles about while Gretchen and Faust speak?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)