|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is singing in the church?
(b) The choir.
(c) The priest.
(d) The altarboys.
2. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The gallows.
(b) The church.
(c) The pond.
(d) The cemetary.
3. Initially, what is the only thing Gretchen recognizes as Faust when he is in her prison cell?
(a) His voice.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His hands.
(d) His lips.
4. While considering Faust's request in "Martha's Garden," of what is Gretchen afraid?
(a) Her mother will catch them.
(b) Her reputation will be ruined.
(c) Her mother will not approve of their marriage.
(d) God will punish her.
5. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
(a) The father of Barbara's baby has run away.
(b) Barbara has renounced God.
(c) Barbara is very ill.
(d) Barbara has recently been robbed and has no money.
6. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) He scares her.
(b) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(c) Nosy neighbors.
(d) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
7. What does Mephistopheles proclaim to be Gretchen's fate at the end of the play?
(a) She is doomed.
(b) She will become a martyr for women everywhere.
(c) She will live her days out in a madhouse.
(d) She will commit suicide.
8. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Gretchen's bed.
(d) Martha's garden.
9. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
(b) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
(c) He will marry her one day soon.
(d) He will attend church with her.
10. Who is Barbara?
(a) Mephistopheles's favorite witch.
(b) An unwed, pregnant girl.
(c) Faust's daughter.
(d) Gretchen's sister.
11. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
(a) Gretchen will no longer have the innocence to which Faust is so attracted.
(b) Mephistopheles will also get pleasure from the act.
(c) Mephistopheles's influence over Gretchen will be broken.
(d) Mephistopheles will be powerless until Faust sleeps with Gretchen.
12. What does Gretchen believe is on Faust's hand when she tries to hold it in her cell?
13. Why does Faust fear Mephistopheles's influence over his happiness with Gretchen in "A Cavern"?
(a) He knows Gretchen is protected by God.
(b) He knows Mephistopheles wants Gretchen for himself.
(c) He knows Mephistopheles could take everything away.
(d) He knows Gretchen fears Mephistopheles.
14. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) St. Anthony.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
15. How does Gretchen feel about Barbara?
(a) She feels triumphant at her friend's downfall.
(b) She feels ashamed of her.
(c) She feels sorry for her.
(d) She is angry at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gretchen admit to feeling when Faust is not around?
2. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
3. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
4. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
5. What purpose does Gretchen's song serve in prison?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)