|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Mephistopheles extract from Faust before taking him to meet Gretchen?
(a) Faust must never drink their wine, as it has been touched by a priest.
(b) Faust must not take Gretchen's virginity.
(c) Faust must not look Martha in the eyes.
(d) Faust must lie about Martha's husband.
2. For what reasons does Gretchen want Faust to go to a particular location in "A Prison"?
(a) She wants him to visit their child's grave.
(b) She wants him to be there when she dies.
(c) She wants him to save the child she drowned there.
(d) She wants him to pray for his soul.
3. What must Faust promise in order to get Gretchen to accept and use the item he gives her in "Martha's Garden"?
(a) If the flower convinces her that he loves her, he will take her on a trip.
(b) The potion is safe to use on her mother.
(c) He will marry her one day soon.
(d) He will attend church with her.
4. What are Gretchen and Faust doing during "A Summerhouse"?
(a) Making love.
(d) Baking bread.
5. From what play are many of the characters in "A Walpurgis Night's Dream" drawn?
(a) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(b) "Spring Awakening: A Children's Tragedy."
(c) "Iphigenia in Tauris."
(d) "The Spanish Tragedy."
6. While dancing with the young one in "Walpurgis Night," what vision does Faust claim to have had?
(a) An ocean wave crashing against the rocks.
(b) A goat with two heads.
(c) A tree being split with lightning
(d) An apple tree with two apples.
7. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
(a) She is not in love with Faust.
(b) She does not wish to lose her virginity.
(c) She hates Mephistopheles.
(d) She has thought about killing herself before.
8. What does Faust promise Gretchen in "A Garden"?
(a) He will love her forever.
(b) He will go to confession.
(c) He will get rid of Mephistopheles.
(d) He will seek approval for their marriage from her mother.
9. For what does Gretchen ask permission when she is unable to recognize Faust in her cell?
(a) To sleep awhile longer.
(b) To contact her lover.
(c) To pray to God.
(d) To feed her baby.
10. In musical terms, what is the scene "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" called in the text?
11. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
(b) He is sympathetic towards her.
(c) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
(d) He is furious with her.
12. What does Gretchen pray for in "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(b) Forgiveness for Faust.
(c) Atonement for her sins.
(d) Mephistopheles's soul.
13. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
(a) She believes Barbara is being unfairly maligned, but Barbara has no one to blame but herself.
(b) She is afraid of Barbara and her bad luck.
(c) She believes Barbara is getting what she deserves.
(d) She thinks that Barbara deserves nothing but help and sympathy.
14. While considering Faust's request in "Martha's Garden," of what is Gretchen afraid?
(a) Her reputation will be ruined.
(b) God will punish her.
(c) Her mother will catch them.
(d) Her mother will not approve of their marriage.
15. Of what is Faust irrationally jealous in regards to its proximity to Gretchen?
(a) The necklace around her neck.
(b) Her bonnet.
(c) The Body of Christ in Communion.
(d) Her bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
2. What has worsened Barbara's plight, according to Lieschen?
3. How is most of "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" presented?
4. What does Faust propose to Gretchen during "Martha's Garden"?
5. What is the Huckster-Witch attempting to do during "Walpurgis Night"?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)