|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Valentine?
(a) Gretchen's fiance.
(b) Gretchen's father.
(c) Gretchen's cousin.
(d) Gretchen's brother.
2. Which Biblical character is apparently present on Walpurgis Night?
(d) Pontius Pilate.
3. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Martha's garden.
(d) Gretchen's bed.
4. What is Gretchen attending during "A Cathedral"?
(a) Lenten rituals.
(c) Sunday morning mass.
(d) A mass for the dead.
5. How is most of "A Walpurgis's Night Dream" presented?
(d) Poetry reading.
6. What is Gretchen's secret?
(a) She is glad that Valentine is dead.
(b) She is dying.
(c) She killed her mother on purpose.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. Who criticizes the dancing on the mountain?
(c) The Proctophantamist.
(d) The Huckster-Witch.
8. To whom is Gretchen praying in the beginning of "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) St. Anthony.
9. What does Gretchen do with the daisy she picks while walking with Faust?
(a) She puts it in her hair.
(b) She throws it in the water.
(c) She throws it in the fire.
(d) She plays "He loves me, he loves me not."
10. What does Gretchen believe about Mephistopheles when he appears in her cell?
(a) He is Faust.
(b) He is the doctor for her child.
(c) He is the devil who is coming for her.
(d) He is there to drain her blood.
11. Along with the death of Valentine, what else is tormenting Gretchen?
(a) Her rape by Mephistopheles.
(b) Her excommunication.
(c) The death of her mother.
(d) The murder of Martha.
12. To whom does Mephistopheles try to compare Faust's vision of Gretchen in "Walpurgis Night"?
(c) The Harpies.
13. For what reasons does Gretchen want Faust to go to a particular location in "A Prison"?
(a) She wants him to visit their child's grave.
(b) She wants him to be there when she dies.
(c) She wants him to save the child she drowned there.
(d) She wants him to pray for his soul.
14. In "Open Country, Night," where do the witches perform their ritual?
(a) The gallows.
(b) The woods.
(c) Faust's study.
(d) The prison.
15. What does Gretchen believe will happen when she and Faust are separated in "A Garden?"
(a) He will forget about her.
(b) Faust will not be able to stop thinking about her.
(c) Gretchen will cry herself to sleep out of loneliness.
(d) Faust will probably need to laugh about her ignorance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Barbara?
2. During "A Forest Cavern," who is Faust addressing in the beginning?
3. What does Mephistopheles admit to Faust will happen when he (Faust) sleeps with Gretchen?
4. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
5. What does Gretchen finally admit to Faust before she leaves for home?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)