|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mephistopheles urge Faust to go at the end of "A Forest Cavern"?
(a) Martha's garden.
(d) Gretchen's bed.
2. How does Valentine currently feel about Gretchen?
(a) He feels a murderous hatred towards her.
(b) He is furious with her.
(c) He is sympathetic towards her.
(d) He feels nothing but love and understanding for her.
3. What reason does Martha cite for not inviting Mephistopheles to stay longer with her at the end of "A Garden"?
(a) She would feel like a hypocrite by inviting him in.
(b) She does not trust him to not attempt a seduction.
(c) He scares her.
(d) Nosy neighbors.
4. How does Lieschen feel about Barbara?
(a) She thinks that Barbara deserves nothing but help and sympathy.
(b) She believes Barbara is getting what she deserves.
(c) She believes Barbara is being unfairly maligned, but Barbara has no one to blame but herself.
(d) She is afraid of Barbara and her bad luck.
5. What does Faust discover from Gretchen when he tries to help her escape from prison?
(a) She killed their baby.
(b) She attempted suicide.
(c) She meant to murder her mother.
(d) She killed her priest.
6. From where does the voice at the end of "Faust" come?
7. Why does Mephistopheles not disguise himself amidst the witches on the mountain?
(a) He does not want to deny his heritage.
(b) He wants to bask in their adulation.
(c) He knows that a disguise is pointless amongst witches.
(d) He cannot be disguised for celebrations.
8. Who criticizes the dancing on the mountain?
(a) The Proctophantamist.
(c) The Huckster-Witch.
9. How does Gretchen feel about Barbara?
(a) She feels ashamed of her.
(b) She feels sorry for her.
(c) She is angry at her.
(d) She feels triumphant at her friend's downfall.
10. What does Gretchen believe is on Faust's hand when she tries to hold it in her cell?
11. What is Faust unable to convince Gretchen to do in "A Prison"?
(a) Forgive herself.
(b) Forgive him.
(c) Escape with him.
(d) Renounce God.
12. How does "A Cathedral" end?
(a) Gretchen attempts suicide.
(b) Gretchen dies.
(c) Gretchen faints.
(d) Gretchen renounces God.
13. What does Valentine admit to Gretchen before he dies?
(a) He knows her secret.
(b) He poisoned her drink.
(c) He has renounced God because of her.
(d) He has alerted their priest about her condition.
14. Initially, what is the only thing Gretchen recognizes as Faust when he is in her prison cell?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His voice.
(c) His lips.
(d) His hands.
15. In the final scene, "A Prison," where does Gretchen want Faust to go?
(a) The pond.
(b) The gallows.
(c) The church.
(d) The cemetary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Valentine duel Mephistopheles and Faust?
2. Who torments Gretchen while she is in church?
3. What does Faust give Gretchen at the end of "Martha's Garden"?
4. What is the song about in "A Cathedral"?
5. During "Martha's Garden," what does Gretchen discuss with Faust?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)