|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
2. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(b) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
(c) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(d) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
3. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) Gifts for the girl.
(b) The girl's name.
(c) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(d) The effects of the witch's potion.
4. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are liars.
(b) The people are mocking him.
(c) The people respect him.
(d) The people are all heretics.
5. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(b) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(c) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
(d) The author has decided to end his own life.
6. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
(a) It is a sign from God.
(b) It is an escaped pet.
(c) It is his pet from childhood.
(d) It is an evil spirit.
7. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He lays down in her bed.
(b) Visualizes her growing up.
(c) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(d) He steals an article of clothing.
8. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will leave Mephistopheles.
(b) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
(c) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
(d) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
9. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is in jail.
(b) Her husband has joined the militia.
(c) Her husband is dead.
(d) Her husband is on his way home.
10. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She does not recognize him as her master.
(b) She spits at Faust.
(c) She hits her baboons.
(d) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
11. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
12. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
(a) A broken crown.
(b) A large black boot.
(c) A belt made out of human skin.
(d) A tattered cape.
13. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Give up his holy studies.
(b) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(c) Kill Wagner.
(d) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
14. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(b) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(c) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(d) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
15. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The Odyssey.
(d) Myths about Mesopotamia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
2. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
3. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
4. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
5. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)