|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Making money.
(b) Casting the right actors.
(c) Creating true art.
(d) Astounding the audience.
2. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
(a) Faust must truly be in love with the girl.
(b) The girl truly loves Faust.
(c) The girl is an atheist.
(d) She has just gone to confession.
3. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is in jail.
(b) Her husband is dead.
(c) Her husband is on his way home.
(d) Her husband has joined the militia.
4. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Leave for another country.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Pillage a neighboring village.
(d) Attack each other with knives.
5. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He drowned at sea.
(b) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(c) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(d) He was arrested for murder and executed.
6. Where does "Night" take place?
(a) Faust's study.
(b) Faust's private chapel.
(c) Faust's kitchen.
(d) Faust's bedroom.
7. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(b) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
(c) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
(d) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
8. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black crow.
(b) A black rabbit.
(c) A black poodle.
(d) A black cat.
9. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is going to kill her one day.
(b) He is jealous of her wealth.
(c) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
(d) He is dead.
10. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) The Easter hymnals.
(b) The priests doing charitable works.
(c) A child praying.
(d) The sunlight.
11. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
(b) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
(c) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(d) The people highly respect Faust.
12. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(b) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
(c) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(d) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
13. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to hallucinate.
(b) They begin to speak in tongues.
(c) They begin to fall asleep.
(d) Three of the men die.
14. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people respect him.
(b) The people are all heretics.
(c) The people are mocking him.
(d) The people are liars.
15. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
(a) In the fire.
(b) In the water in the cauldron.
(c) In a mirror.
(d) In a bottle of wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
2. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
3. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
4. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
5. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)