|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black rabbit.
(b) A black crow.
(c) A black cat.
(d) A black poodle.
2. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
(b) Spiritual fulfillment.
(c) The memories of his loved ones.
(d) Political activism.
3. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is writing a suicide note.
(b) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(c) He is burning his books.
(d) He is reading the Bible.
4. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
5. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He is unhappy with life.
(b) He lusts after a village girl.
(c) He resents God.
(d) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
6. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(a) She is flattered.
(d) She tries to kiss him.
7. Where does "Night" take place?
(a) Faust's private chapel.
(b) Faust's bedroom.
(c) Faust's kitchen.
(d) Faust's study.
8. What is Faust's title?
9. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
(b) The baboon lets it boil over.
(c) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
(d) She falls into the fire.
10. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will only come closer to God.
(b) Faust will turn away from God.
(c) Faust will go insane.
(d) Faust will not recognize evil.
11. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
(a) A triangles.
(b) A series of squares.
(c) A circle.
(d) A pentagram.
12. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
13. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
14. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) The Easter hymnals.
(b) The sunlight.
(c) The priests doing charitable works.
(d) A child praying.
15. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He steals an article of clothing.
(b) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(c) Visualizes her growing up.
(d) He lays down in her bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
2. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
3. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
4. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
5. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)