|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(b) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
(c) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
(d) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
2. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A true artistic statement.
(c) A scathing look at society.
(d) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
3. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
(a) On her pillow.
(b) By the window.
(c) Under her bed.
(d) Her cabinet.
4. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(b) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(c) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(d) He can draw Faust away from God.
5. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
(b) She does not recognize him as her master.
(c) She spits at Faust.
(d) She hits her baboons.
6. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) Visualizes her growing up.
(b) He steals an article of clothing.
(c) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(d) He lays down in her bed.
7. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
(a) He is Faust's cousin.
(b) He is Faust's nephew.
(c) He is Faust's caretaker.
(d) He is Faust's student.
8. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(b) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(c) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(d) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
9. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She does not like to go outside.
(b) She is afraid of men.
(c) She wishes to become a nun.
(d) She is attracted to Faust.
10. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Attack each other with knives.
(b) Pillage a neighboring village.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Leave for another country.
11. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) The future.
(b) The present as it was when the play was written.
(c) The past.
(d) Present time for the production.
12. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is jealous of her wealth.
(c) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
(d) He is going to kill her one day.
13. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(b) He will introduce her to Faust.
(c) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(d) He will say a prayer for her.
14. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The sound of children playing.
(b) The church bells.
(c) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
(d) The rising sun.
15. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The chimney.
(b) The fireplace.
(c) The window.
(d) The cauldron.
Short Answer Questions
1. .0 0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
2. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
3. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
4. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
5. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)