|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to speak in tongues.
(b) Three of the men die.
(c) They begin to fall asleep.
(d) They begin to hallucinate.
2. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
3. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
(a) See the girl from the mirror.
(b) Seduce a random woman.
(c) Travel to another country.
(d) Join the militia.
4. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A broker.
(b) A student.
(c) A barrister.
(d) A priest.
5. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She does not like to go outside.
(b) She is attracted to Faust.
(c) She is afraid of men.
(d) She wishes to become a nun.
6. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Pillage a neighboring village.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Leave for another country.
(d) Attack each other with knives.
7. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Drinks he conjured up.
(b) Gold coins.
(c) Dried meat.
(d) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
8. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(a) She is flattered.
(d) She tries to kiss him.
9. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
(b) She will save his soul.
(c) She holds paradise in her body.
(d) She is his daughter.
10. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(b) A scathing look at society.
(c) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
(d) A true artistic statement.
11. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The church bells.
(b) The rising sun.
(c) The sound of children playing.
(d) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
12. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will leave Mephistopheles.
(b) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
(c) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
(d) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
13. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
14. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
(a) A large black boot.
(b) A broken crown.
(c) A tattered cape.
(d) A belt made out of human skin.
15. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) He wants to play the lead.
(b) He wants to entertain the audience.
(c) He wants to be seen by the director of a better theater.
(d) He wants to create a grand piece of art.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday is being celebrated in "Outside the Town Wall"?
2. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
3. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
4. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
5. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)