|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
(a) Take suggestions from the audience and create a play.
(b) Take the audience on a journey from heaven to hell.
(c) They will perform a classic tragedy instead of their play.
(d) Perform a comedy.
2. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will say a prayer for her.
(b) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(c) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(d) He will introduce her to Faust.
3. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(b) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(c) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(d) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
4. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(b) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(c) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(d) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
5. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
(b) Faust is counting his money.
(c) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(d) Faust is writing a letter to God.
6. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is going to kill her one day.
(b) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is jealous of her wealth.
7. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
(b) She is his daughter.
(c) She holds paradise in her body.
(d) She will save his soul.
8. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He looks down upon them.
(b) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(c) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
(d) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
9. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
(b) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(c) The people highly respect Faust.
(d) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
10. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
(a) A triangles.
(b) A circle.
(c) A series of squares.
(d) A pentagram.
11. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He gets drunk.
(b) He falls asleep.
(c) He becomes afraid.
(d) He starts to fear for his sanity.
12. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
13. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(b) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
(c) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
(d) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
14. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(b) The jewelry is gaudy.
(c) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
(d) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
15. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Sabotaging him on purpose.
(b) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
(c) Stifling his creativity.
(d) Giving him his big break.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
2. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
3. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
4. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
5. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)