|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) A child praying.
(b) The sunlight.
(c) The priests doing charitable works.
(d) The Easter hymnals.
2. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
(a) Join the militia.
(b) Seduce a random woman.
(c) See the girl from the mirror.
(d) Travel to another country.
3. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
(a) He no longer believes in his work.
(b) He is neither wealthy or famous.
(c) He feels slighted by the academic community.
(d) He never wanted to be a scholar.
4. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
(a) She should run away to another town.
(b) She should take a lover.
(c) She should enter a nunnery.
(d) She should become an actress.
5. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(b) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(c) He looks down upon them.
(d) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
6. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
(b) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(c) The people highly respect Faust.
(d) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
7. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
(a) A pentagram.
(b) A triangles.
(c) A circle.
(d) A series of squares.
8. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are mocking him.
(b) The people are all heretics.
(c) The people respect him.
(d) The people are liars.
9. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
(a) Take the audience on a journey from heaven to hell.
(b) Perform a comedy.
(c) Take suggestions from the audience and create a play.
(d) They will perform a classic tragedy instead of their play.
10. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is dead.
(b) Her husband has joined the militia.
(c) Her husband is in jail.
(d) Her husband is on his way home.
11. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(b) He will introduce her to Faust.
(c) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(d) He will say a prayer for her.
12. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
13. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The cauldron.
(b) The window.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The chimney.
14. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
(b) Spiritual fulfillment.
(c) The memories of his loved ones.
(d) Political activism.
15. What is Faust's title?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
2. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
3. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
4. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
5. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)