|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Give up his holy studies.
(b) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(c) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(d) Kill Wagner.
2. What holiday is being celebrated in "Outside the Town Wall"?
(c) New Year.
(d) May Day.
3. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(a) She is flattered.
(b) She tries to kiss him.
4. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles's blood.
(b) Consecrated wine.
(c) His own blood.
(d) Ink made up of blood and ash.
5. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The forest.
(b) The countryside.
(c) The river.
(d) The church.
6. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(b) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
(c) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(d) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
7. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will go insane.
(b) Faust will not recognize evil.
(c) Faust will only come closer to God.
(d) Faust will turn away from God.
8. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) The Easter hymnals.
(b) The priests doing charitable works.
(c) A child praying.
(d) The sunlight.
9. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black poodle.
(b) A black crow.
(c) A black rabbit.
(d) A black cat.
10. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is writing a letter to God.
(b) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(c) Faust is counting his money.
(d) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
11. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She wishes to become a nun.
(b) She is attracted to Faust.
(c) She does not like to go outside.
(d) She is afraid of men.
12. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(a) Dagger to the heart.
(c) Gunshot to the head.
13. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(b) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(c) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(d) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
14. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) The Qur'an.
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) Myths about Mesopotamia.
15. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(b) She is afraid of the outside world.
(c) She is suspicious of all men.
(d) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
2. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
3. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
4. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
5. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)