|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) The Book of Kells.
(b) A spellbook.
(c) The Old Testament backwards.
(d) The Necronomicon.
2. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(a) The street.
(c) A dressmaker's shop.
(d) His sister's house.
3. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(b) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
(c) Faust is writing a letter to God.
(d) Faust is counting his money.
4. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He drowned at sea.
(b) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(c) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(d) He was arrested for murder and executed.
5. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(d) A cross hangs over the door.
6. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
(a) Spiritual fulfillment.
(b) Political activism.
(c) The memories of his loved ones.
7. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
(a) His will to live.
(b) His sanity.
(c) His relationship with God.
(d) His intelligence.
8. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A female baboon.
(b) A male turtle.
(c) A female cat.
(d) A male dog.
9. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(b) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
(c) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(d) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
10. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) The sunlight.
(b) The Easter hymnals.
(c) The priests doing charitable works.
(d) A child praying.
11. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The chimney.
(b) The window.
(c) The cauldron.
(d) The fireplace.
12. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
13. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles's blood.
(b) His own blood.
(c) Ink made up of blood and ash.
(d) Consecrated wine.
14. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(b) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
(c) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
(d) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
15. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people respect him.
(b) The people are mocking him.
(c) The people are all heretics.
(d) The people are liars.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
2. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
3. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
4. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
5. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)