|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The rising sun.
(b) The sound of children playing.
(c) The church bells.
(d) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
2. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
(a) A circle.
(b) A pentagram.
(c) A series of squares.
(d) A triangles.
3. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
(b) Stifling his creativity.
(c) Sabotaging him on purpose.
(d) Giving him his big break.
4. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A female baboon.
(b) A female cat.
(c) A male dog.
(d) A male turtle.
5. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) The past.
(b) The present as it was when the play was written.
(c) The future.
(d) Present time for the production.
6. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She wishes to become a nun.
(b) She is attracted to Faust.
(c) She is afraid of men.
(d) She does not like to go outside.
7. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(b) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
(c) They only want to sleep with her.
(d) They pity her because of her poverty.
8. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
(b) Stay calm.
(d) Warm itself by the fire.
9. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black poodle.
(b) A black rabbit.
(c) A black crow.
(d) A black cat.
10. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
11. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband has joined the militia.
(b) Her husband is on his way home.
(c) Her husband is in jail.
(d) Her husband is dead.
12. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(b) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(c) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) He drowned at sea.
13. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
(a) Going into the seminary.
(b) Wasting his life in a pub.
(c) Following in Faust's footsteps of being a scholar.
(d) Becoming a barrister.
14. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
(a) Political activism.
(c) The memories of his loved ones.
(d) Spiritual fulfillment.
15. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(b) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(c) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(d) He is attracted to a witch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
2. What holiday is being celebrated in "Outside the Town Wall"?
3. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
4. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
5. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)