|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(b) Kill Wagner.
(c) Give up his holy studies.
(d) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
2. Where does "Night" take place?
(a) Faust's private chapel.
(b) Faust's study.
(c) Faust's kitchen.
(d) Faust's bedroom.
3. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles's blood.
(b) Consecrated wine.
(c) Ink made up of blood and ash.
(d) His own blood.
4. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
5. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He looks down upon them.
(b) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
(c) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(d) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
6. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The cauldron.
(b) The window.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The chimney.
7. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They only want to sleep with her.
(b) They pity her because of her poverty.
(c) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
(d) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
8. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
9. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
(a) His compassion.
(b) The beauty of His work.
(c) His knowledge.
(d) The grandeur of His presence.
10. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(b) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(c) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(d) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
11. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) Under the couch.
(b) In the next room.
(c) In plain sight of Faust.
(d) Behind the stove.
12. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He dances for them.
(b) He sings for them.
(c) He creates illusions for them.
(d) He plays piano for them.
13. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(a) Dagger to the heart.
(b) Gunshot to the head.
14. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
(a) Gretchen should give it to the priest again.
(b) Martha will sell it for her, and they will split the money.
(c) She will keep it at Martha's house.
(d) She is advised to not show her mother this time.
15. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
2. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
3. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
4. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
5. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)