|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) The Odyssey.
(b) The Qur'an.
(d) Myths about Mesopotamia.
2. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She does not recognize him as her master.
(b) She hits her baboons.
(c) She spits at Faust.
(d) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
3. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(b) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(c) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
(d) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
4. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The window.
(b) The cauldron.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The chimney.
5. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
(a) Spiritual fulfillment.
(c) The memories of his loved ones.
(d) Political activism.
6. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He plays piano for them.
(b) He dances for them.
(c) He creates illusions for them.
(d) He sings for them.
7. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) A spellbook.
(b) The Necronomicon.
(c) The Book of Kells.
(d) The Old Testament backwards.
8. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His will to live.
(c) His sanity.
(d) His relationship with God.
9. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Kill Wagner.
(b) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(c) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(d) Give up his holy studies.
10. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
(b) Faust is writing a letter to God.
(c) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(d) Faust is counting his money.
11. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles's blood.
(b) Consecrated wine.
(c) His own blood.
(d) Ink made up of blood and ash.
12. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
(a) It is his pet from childhood.
(b) It is an evil spirit.
(c) It is an escaped pet.
(d) It is a sign from God.
13. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(b) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(c) He will introduce her to Faust.
(d) He will say a prayer for her.
14. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She is his daughter.
(b) She will save his soul.
(c) She holds paradise in her body.
(d) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
15. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) Gifts for the girl.
(b) The effects of the witch's potion.
(c) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(d) The girl's name.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
2. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
3. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
4. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
5. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)