|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She is his daughter.
(b) She holds paradise in her body.
(c) She will save his soul.
(d) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
3. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Kill Wagner.
(b) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(c) Give up his holy studies.
(d) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
4. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A male dog.
(b) A female cat.
(c) A male turtle.
(d) A female baboon.
5. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(b) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(c) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(d) He can draw Faust away from God.
6. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) Gifts for the girl.
(b) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(c) The effects of the witch's potion.
(d) The girl's name.
7. What does the poet believe the director is doing to him in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Sabotaging him on purpose.
(b) Giving him a platform on which he can write.
(c) Giving him his big break.
(d) Stifling his creativity.
8. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
(a) His relationship with God.
(b) His will to live.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His sanity.
9. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A cross hangs over the door.
(b) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(c) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(d) Faust left his Bible by the door.
10. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(b) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(c) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(d) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
11. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The church.
(b) The countryside.
(c) The river.
(d) The forest.
12. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
(a) In a mirror.
(b) In the water in the cauldron.
(c) In a bottle of wine.
(d) In the fire.
13. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
(a) The people are mocking him.
(b) The people are liars.
(c) The people respect him.
(d) The people are all heretics.
14. In "Dedication," what does the author ultimately decide is more important than fame?
(a) Political activism.
(b) Spiritual fulfillment.
(c) The memories of his loved ones.
15. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
(b) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
(c) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
(d) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
2. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
3. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
4. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
5. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)