Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
(a) He tells her to grieve for the appropriate time and then find a new husband.
(b) He tells her that God will punish her if she ever speaks a word against her husband.
(c) He tells her that she deserves to move on immediately.
(d) He tells her to grieve for him for the rest of her life.
2. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
(a) Keep moving.
(b) Sacrifice a white goat.
(c) Bathe in full moonlight.
(d) Eat a specific herb that can only be seen at midnight.
3. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(b) He is attracted to a witch.
(c) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(d) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
4. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The countryside.
(b) The church.
(c) The forest.
(d) The river.
5. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She falls into the fire.
(b) The baboon lets it boil over.
(c) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
(d) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
6. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A black poodle.
(c) A black rabbit.
(d) A black crow.
7. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Drinks he conjured up.
(b) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
(c) Dried meat.
(d) Gold coins.
8. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
(b) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(c) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
(d) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
9. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The rising sun.
(b) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
(c) The church bells.
(d) The sound of children playing.
10. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The fireplace.
(b) The chimney.
(c) The cauldron.
(d) The window.
11. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
(a) A visit to the girl's bedroom.
(b) The girl's ring.
(c) The girl's name.
(d) The promise of marriage from the girl.
12. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(a) A dressmaker's shop.
(b) The street.
(d) His sister's house.
13. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(b) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(c) He drowned at sea.
(d) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
14. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(b) He looks down upon them.
(c) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(d) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
15. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) The Book of Kells.
(b) The Old Testament backwards.
(c) A spellbook.
(d) The Necronomicon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
2. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
3. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
4. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
5. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)