|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A student.
(b) A barrister.
(c) A priest.
(d) A broker.
2. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(b) He becomes afraid.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He falls asleep.
3. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
(b) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
(c) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(d) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
4. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is reading the Bible.
(b) He is reviewing his knowledge.
(c) He is writing a suicide note.
(d) He is burning his books.
5. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
(a) He tells her that God will punish her if she ever speaks a word against her husband.
(b) He tells her to grieve for him for the rest of her life.
(c) He tells her to grieve for the appropriate time and then find a new husband.
(d) He tells her that she deserves to move on immediately.
6. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles's blood.
(b) Consecrated wine.
(c) Ink made up of blood and ash.
(d) His own blood.
7. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(b) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(c) He will introduce her to Faust.
(d) He will say a prayer for her.
8. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Dried meat.
(b) Gold coins.
(c) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
(d) Drinks he conjured up.
9. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
(a) God invited him.
(b) He and God are friends.
(c) He has to ask God for a favor.
(d) He sneaked in behind another angel.
10. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
11. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(a) Dagger to the heart.
(c) Gunshot to the head.
12. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(b) He steals an article of clothing.
(c) He lays down in her bed.
(d) Visualizes her growing up.
13. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A male turtle.
(b) A male dog.
(c) A female baboon.
(d) A female cat.
14. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is going to kill her one day.
(b) He is dead.
(c) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
(d) He is jealous of her wealth.
15. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
(a) The sound of children playing.
(b) The church bells.
(c) The sounds of Easter hymnals.
(d) The rising sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
2. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
3. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
4. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
5. What must Faust step inside of in order to begin the spell to make him appear younger?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)