|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(b) Gunshot to the head.
(c) Dagger to the heart.
2. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(b) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
(c) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
(d) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
3. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband is dead.
(b) Her husband is in jail.
(c) Her husband has joined the militia.
(d) Her husband is on his way home.
4. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Kill Wagner.
(b) Give up his holy studies.
(c) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(d) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
5. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He steals an article of clothing.
(b) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(c) He lays down in her bed.
(d) Visualizes her growing up.
6. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
(b) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
(c) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(d) The jewelry is gaudy.
7. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(b) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(c) She is suspicious of all men.
(d) She is afraid of the outside world.
8. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He resents God.
(b) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
(c) He lusts after a village girl.
(d) He is unhappy with life.
9. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) His own blood.
(b) Consecrated wine.
(c) Ink made up of blood and ash.
(d) Mephistopheles's blood.
10. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is jealous of her wealth.
(c) He is going to kill her one day.
(d) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
11. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
(a) The witch needs to stop time so that Faust may seduce a young woman.
(b) Faust needs a potion to make him young.
(c) The witch needs to atone for her behavior towards Mephistopheles.
(d) The witch needs to lend Faust a spellbook.
12. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(b) The author has decided to end his own life.
(c) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(d) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
13. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(b) A dressmaker's shop.
(c) His sister's house.
(d) The street.
14. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(b) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(c) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(d) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
15. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
(a) She spits at Faust.
(b) She does not recognize him as her master.
(c) She tries to renounce her evil ways.
(d) She hits her baboons.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
2. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
3. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
4. What does Faust believe about the townspeople he and Wagner walk with during their holiday celebration after his suicide attempt?
5. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)