|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
(a) Faust is preparing to commit suicide.
(b) Faust is writing a letter to God.
(c) Faust is conjuring up a spirit.
(d) Faust is counting his money.
2. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The countryside.
(b) The church.
(c) The forest.
(d) The river.
3. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
(a) By the window.
(b) Her cabinet.
(c) Under her bed.
(d) On her pillow.
4. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) The rest of the house has been blessed.
(b) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(c) A cross hangs over the door.
(d) Faust left his Bible by the door.
5. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She does not like to go outside.
(b) She wishes to become a nun.
(c) She is afraid of men.
(d) She is attracted to Faust.
6. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(b) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(c) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(d) He believes Faust is having an affair.
7. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(b) Give up his holy studies.
(c) Kill Wagner.
(d) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
8. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(b) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(c) He is attracted to a witch.
(d) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
9. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
(a) See the girl from the mirror.
(b) Join the militia.
(c) Travel to another country.
(d) Seduce a random woman.
10. In regards to their bargain, what does Faust make Mephistopheles agree to before signing the pledge?
(a) Mephistopheles must appear as an animal.
(b) Mephistopheles must allow Faust to become younger.
(c) Mephistopheles must pray with him every day.
(d) Mephistopheles must bring Faust pleasure in life.
11. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
(a) A visit to the girl's bedroom.
(b) The girl's name.
(c) The girl's ring.
(d) The promise of marriage from the girl.
12. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(b) He will introduce her to Faust.
(c) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(d) He will say a prayer for her.
13. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Making money.
(b) Creating true art.
(c) Casting the right actors.
(d) Astounding the audience.
14. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He creates illusions for them.
(b) He sings for them.
(c) He dances for them.
(d) He plays piano for them.
15. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
(a) Warm itself by the fire.
(d) Stay calm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
2. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
3. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
4. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
5. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)