|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
2. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(a) She tries to kiss him.
(b) She is flattered.
3. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
(a) Myths about Mesopotamia.
(b) The Odyssey.
(d) The Qur'an.
4. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
(a) He is neither wealthy or famous.
(b) He feels slighted by the academic community.
(c) He never wanted to be a scholar.
(d) He no longer believes in his work.
5. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
(a) His compassion.
(b) The beauty of His work.
(c) The grandeur of His presence.
(d) His knowledge.
6. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
(b) He will leave Mephistopheles.
(c) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
(d) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
7. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(b) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(c) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(d) He believes Faust is having an affair.
8. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) Gifts for the girl.
(b) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(c) The effects of the witch's potion.
(d) The girl's name.
9. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
(b) Warm itself by the fire.
(c) Stay calm.
10. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(b) He can draw Faust away from God.
(c) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(d) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
11. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He steals an article of clothing.
(b) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(c) Visualizes her growing up.
(d) He lays down in her bed.
12. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
(a) A student.
(b) A priest.
(c) A barrister.
(d) A broker.
13. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
(a) She has just gone to confession.
(b) Faust must truly be in love with the girl.
(c) The girl is an atheist.
(d) The girl truly loves Faust.
14. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
15. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Attack each other with knives.
(b) Pillage a neighboring village.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Leave for another country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
2. Where does "Night" take place?
3. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
4. What is Wagner's relationship with Faust?
5. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)