|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
(a) Becoming a barrister.
(b) Wasting his life in a pub.
(c) Going into the seminary.
(d) Following in Faust's footsteps of being a scholar.
2. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
(a) He tells her to grieve for the appropriate time and then find a new husband.
(b) He tells her that God will punish her if she ever speaks a word against her husband.
(c) He tells her to grieve for him for the rest of her life.
(d) He tells her that she deserves to move on immediately.
3. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Leave for another country.
(b) Pillage a neighboring village.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Attack each other with knives.
4. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
5. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) Gifts for the girl.
(b) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(c) The girl's name.
(d) The effects of the witch's potion.
6. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
(a) Sacrifice a white goat.
(b) Bathe in full moonlight.
(c) Eat a specific herb that can only be seen at midnight.
(d) Keep moving.
7. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Casting the right actors.
(b) Creating true art.
(c) Astounding the audience.
(d) Making money.
8. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(b) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(c) He is attracted to a witch.
(d) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
9. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Give up his holy studies.
(b) Kill Wagner.
(c) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(d) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
10. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will say a prayer for her.
(b) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(c) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(d) He will introduce her to Faust.
11. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
13. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
(b) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(c) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
(d) The people highly respect Faust.
14. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(b) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(c) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
(d) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
15. What sort of animal approaches Faust and Wagner during the holiday celebration?
(a) A black cat.
(b) A black poodle.
(c) A black rabbit.
(d) A black crow.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
2. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
3. Where does Faust first see the image of the girl with whom he grows obsessed?
4. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
5. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)