|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What holiday is being celebrated in "Outside the Town Wall"?
(b) May Day.
(c) New Year.
2. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He is unhappy with life.
(b) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
(c) He resents God.
(d) He lusts after a village girl.
3. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) The Book of Kells.
(b) A spellbook.
(c) The Necronomicon.
(d) The Old Testament backwards.
4. Why does Gretchen wish to keep the jewelry Faust and Mephistopheles secretly leave for her?
(a) She wishes to have it blessed by a priest.
(b) She thinks she can make a gift of it to her friends.
(c) She thinks she can sell it off and bring in more money for her mother.
(d) She thinks it will make her more beautiful.
5. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(b) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(c) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
(d) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
6. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(b) He drowned at sea.
(c) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(d) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
7. What does Faust believe about the mysterious animal that approaches him during "Outside the Town Wall"?
(a) It is a sign from God.
(b) It is his pet from childhood.
(c) It is an evil spirit.
(d) It is an escaped pet.
8. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(b) The jewelry is gaudy.
(c) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
(d) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
9. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
(b) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(c) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
(d) He looks down upon them.
10. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
(a) Eat a specific herb that can only be seen at midnight.
(b) Keep moving.
(c) Sacrifice a white goat.
(d) Bathe in full moonlight.
11. What does God believe will happen if Mephistopheles meets Faust?
(a) Faust will not recognize evil.
(b) Faust will turn away from God.
(c) Faust will only come closer to God.
(d) Faust will go insane.
12. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) The girl's name.
(b) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(c) Gifts for the girl.
(d) The effects of the witch's potion.
13. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
(b) Dried meat.
(c) Drinks he conjured up.
(d) Gold coins.
14. What is the director's main concern in "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) Creating true art.
(b) Making money.
(c) Casting the right actors.
(d) Astounding the audience.
0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
2. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
3. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
4. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
5. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)