|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to fall asleep.
(b) Three of the men die.
(c) They begin to speak in tongues.
(d) They begin to hallucinate.
2. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will leave Mephistopheles.
(b) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
(c) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
(d) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
3. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
(a) The sunlight.
(b) The priests doing charitable works.
(c) The Easter hymnals.
(d) A child praying.
4. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(b) The street.
(c) His sister's house.
(d) A dressmaker's shop.
5. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(b) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(c) He is attracted to a witch.
(d) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
6. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(b) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(c) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(d) He can draw Faust away from God.
7. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
8. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She is his daughter.
(b) She holds paradise in her body.
(c) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
(d) She will save his soul.
9. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
(b) A scathing look at society.
(d) A true artistic statement.
10. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
(a) Seduce a random woman.
(b) Travel to another country.
(c) See the girl from the mirror.
(d) Join the militia.
11. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(b) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
(c) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
(d) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
12. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) Behind the stove.
(b) In plain sight of Faust.
(c) Under the couch.
(d) In the next room.
13. How does the girl first react to Faust when she meets him?
(c) She tries to kiss him.
(d) She is flattered.
14. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) They are kicked out of the pub.
(b) They exit through the window.
(c) They are arrested.
(d) They vanish.
15. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He dances for them.
(b) He sings for them.
(c) He plays piano for them.
(d) He creates illusions for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
2. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
3. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
4. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
5. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)