|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
(a) Going into the seminary.
(b) Wasting his life in a pub.
(c) Becoming a barrister.
(d) Following in Faust's footsteps of being a scholar.
2. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(b) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(c) She is afraid of the outside world.
(d) She is suspicious of all men.
3. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
(a) Seduce a random woman.
(b) See the girl from the mirror.
(c) Travel to another country.
(d) Join the militia.
4. During the "Prologue in Heaven," how many archangels are with God?
5. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He will try to hire her for some tailor work.
(b) He will say a prayer for her.
(c) He will sell the jewelry for her.
(d) He will introduce her to Faust.
6. What happens to Faust and Mephistopheles at the end of "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) They exit through the window.
(b) They vanish.
(c) They are arrested.
(d) They are kicked out of the pub.
7. Why is Faust unhappy with his life's work?
(a) He is neither wealthy or famous.
(b) He never wanted to be a scholar.
(c) He no longer believes in his work.
(d) He feels slighted by the academic community.
8. What is Faust's method of suicide when he contemplates ending his life?
(b) Gunshot to the head.
(c) Dagger to the heart.
9. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) Present time for the production.
(b) The past.
(c) The present as it was when the play was written.
(d) The future.
10. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to fall asleep.
(b) They begin to hallucinate.
(c) They begin to speak in tongues.
(d) Three of the men die.
11. What is Faust's title?
12. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
(a) The promise of marriage from the girl.
(b) The girl's name.
(c) The girl's ring.
(d) A visit to the girl's bedroom.
13. What does Wagner mistakenly believe about the noises he hears from Faust in "Night"?
(a) He believes Faust is having an affair.
(b) He believes Faust is trying to play a trick on everyone.
(c) He believes Faust is reading a play.
(d) He believes Faust's dog is making the noise.
14. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) A spellbook.
(b) The Book of Kells.
(c) The Necronomicon.
(d) The Old Testament backwards.
15. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
(b) He is going to kill her one day.
(c) He is dead.
(d) He is jealous of her wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
2. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
3. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
4. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
5. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)