|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(a) His sister's house.
(c) A dressmaker's shop.
(d) The street.
2. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
(b) He resents God.
(c) He lusts after a village girl.
(d) He is unhappy with life.
3. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Pillage a neighboring village.
(b) Leave for another country.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Attack each other with knives.
4. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
(a) His will to live.
(b) His sanity.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His relationship with God.
5. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A male dog.
(b) A male turtle.
(c) A female cat.
(d) A female baboon.
6. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
(a) He lays down in her bed.
(b) He steals an article of clothing.
(c) He leaves a rose on her pillow.
(d) Visualizes her growing up.
7. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He was arrested for murder and executed.
(b) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(c) He drowned at sea.
(d) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
8. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
(a) She is advised to not show her mother this time.
(b) Martha will sell it for her, and they will split the money.
(c) She will keep it at Martha's house.
(d) Gretchen should give it to the priest again.
9. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
(a) Faust must truly be in love with the girl.
(b) The girl is an atheist.
(c) She has just gone to confession.
(d) The girl truly loves Faust.
10. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(b) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
(c) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(d) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
11. Who wrote the section "Dedication"?
12. What does Faust try to deter Wagner from doing with his life?
(a) Becoming a barrister.
(b) Following in Faust's footsteps of being a scholar.
(c) Wasting his life in a pub.
(d) Going into the seminary.
13. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
(a) A spellbook.
(b) The Book of Kells.
(c) The Necronomicon.
(d) The Old Testament backwards.
14. What does Faust threaten to do if Mephistopheles is unable to get the girl he is obsessed with for him?
(a) He will imprison Mephistopheles in his study.
(b) He will leave Mephistopheles.
(c) He will throw Mephistopheles into a church.
(d) He will reveal Mephistopheles to every witch in the country.
15. Where does "Outside the Town Wall" take place?
(a) The church.
(b) The river.
(c) The forest.
(d) The countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts Faust when he tries to commit suicide?
2. When Faust is interrupted in his suicide attempt, what refreshes his faith in God?
3. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
4. Why does Mephistopheles grow angry at the witch that he visits with Faust?
5. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)