|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Mephistopheles give Martha in her first scene?
(a) Her husband has joined the militia.
(b) Her husband is in jail.
(c) Her husband is on his way home.
(d) Her husband is dead.
2. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(b) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
(c) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(d) The author has decided to end his own life.
3. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
4. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
(a) His knowledge.
(b) The beauty of His work.
(c) His compassion.
(d) The grandeur of His presence.
5. Where does the poodle transform into Mephistopheles?
(a) Under the couch.
(b) In the next room.
(c) Behind the stove.
(d) In plain sight of Faust.
6. Ultimately, in "Prelude on the Stage," what does the director decide to do with their play?
(a) Take suggestions from the audience and create a play.
(b) Perform a comedy.
(c) Take the audience on a journey from heaven to hell.
(d) They will perform a classic tragedy instead of their play.
7. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(b) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
(c) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
(d) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
8. What does Mephistopheles promise to attempt to secure for Faust in regards to the girl at the end of "A Street?"
(a) The promise of marriage from the girl.
(b) The girl's name.
(c) The girl's ring.
(d) A visit to the girl's bedroom.
9. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Pillage a neighboring village.
(c) Attack each other with knives.
(d) Leave for another country.
10. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
(b) Kill Wagner.
(c) Give up his holy studies.
(d) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
11. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
12. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
(a) She will keep it at Martha's house.
(b) Gretchen should give it to the priest again.
(c) Martha will sell it for her, and they will split the money.
(d) She is advised to not show her mother this time.
13. What does Faust believe about the girl he sees the image of at the witch's house?
(a) She is his daughter.
(b) She holds paradise in her body.
(c) She will save his soul.
(d) She is the reincaration of his late wife.
14. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
(a) Faust must truly be in love with the girl.
(b) The girl is an atheist.
(c) She has just gone to confession.
(d) The girl truly loves Faust.
15. What does Mephistopheles posit to God in relation to Faust?
(a) He can guide Faust into sainthood.
(b) He can manipulate Faust into suicide.
(c) He can steal Faust's knowledge.
(d) He can draw Faust away from God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
2. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
3. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
4. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
5. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)