|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comforts Gretchen's mother when the priest takes the jewels away?
(a) The priest absolves her and Gretchen of any wrong-doing.
(b) The priest offers to help Gretchen find a husband.
(c) The priest promises they will be rich in heaven.
(d) The priest assures her that Gretchen is still a virgin.
2. What does Faust admit to Mephistopheles in the second "Faust's Study"?
(a) He resents God.
(b) He is comfortable with Mephistopheles in his life.
(c) He lusts after a village girl.
(d) He is unhappy with life.
3. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(b) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
(c) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
(d) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
4. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
(b) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(c) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(d) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
5. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) The present as it was when the play was written.
(b) Present time for the production.
(c) The past.
(d) The future.
6. What are Mephistopheles and Faust contemplating at the end of "A Street"?
(a) The girl's name.
(b) The effects of the witch's potion.
(c) The affect the girl's saintly disposition has on Mephistopheles.
(d) Gifts for the girl.
7. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A female cat.
(b) A male dog.
(c) A male turtle.
(d) A female baboon.
8. Why is Mephistopheles unable to leave Faust's study after appearing to the man?
(a) A pentagram has been drawn on the threshold.
(b) A cross hangs over the door.
(c) Faust left his Bible by the door.
(d) The rest of the house has been blessed.
9. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
10. When Gretchen re-enters her room in "Evening," how does she begin to feel?
11. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(b) The author has decided to end his own life.
(c) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(d) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
12. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He creates illusions for them.
(b) He sings for them.
(c) He dances for them.
(d) He plays piano for them.
13. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
(a) She should run away to another town.
(b) She should become an actress.
(c) She should take a lover.
(d) She should enter a nunnery.
14. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
(b) She falls into the fire.
(c) The baboon lets it boil over.
(d) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
15. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) The jewelry is gaudy.
(b) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(c) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
(d) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
2. What does Faust begin to read in the first scene called "Faust's Study"?
3. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
4. Who does Faust initially believe Mephistopheles to be?
5. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)