|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
(a) Stay calm.
(c) Warm itself by the fire.
2. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
(b) She is suspicious of all men.
(c) She is afraid of the outside world.
(d) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
3. What does Mephistopheles give all the men in the tavern?
(a) Dried meat.
(b) Drinks he conjured up.
(c) Herbs that he claims will promote vigor.
(d) Gold coins.
4. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to fall asleep.
(b) They begin to hallucinate.
(c) They begin to speak in tongues.
(d) Three of the men die.
5. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
(a) Present time for the production.
(b) The past.
(c) The present as it was when the play was written.
(d) The future.
6. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
(a) Attack each other with knives.
(b) Leave for another country.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Pillage a neighboring village.
7. What does Wagner point out to Faust as they walk with their townspeople?
(a) The people are bitter because of their lot in life.
(b) The poor people who have faith in God look at life less seriously than Faust.
(c) The people highly respect Faust.
(d) The people are confused by Faust's presence.
8. After their pact is signed, what doubts does Faust voice to Mephistopheles?
(a) Faust doubts Mephistopheles is who he claims to be.
(b) Mephistopheles will never satisfy Faust.
(c) Mephistopheles will fail to uphold his end of the bargain.
(d) Faust is too old to find pleasure in others.
9. What does the author profess sadness over in "Dedication"?
(a) The author has decided to end his own life.
(b) The modern world moves too fast for the author.
(c) Those who were around him while he was writing "Faust" are long dead.
(d) The author has recently realized that he is an atheist.
10. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
(a) She will keep it at Martha's house.
(b) She is advised to not show her mother this time.
(c) Gretchen should give it to the priest again.
(d) Martha will sell it for her, and they will split the money.
11. In the scene after he drinks the potion to appear younger, where does Faust see the girl he saw a vision of at the witch's kitchen?
(a) The street.
(b) A dressmaker's shop.
(d) His sister's house.
12. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He looks down upon them.
(b) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(c) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
(d) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
13. What is Faust's title?
14. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Kill Wagner.
(b) Give up his holy studies.
(c) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(d) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
15. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He dances for them.
(b) He plays piano for them.
(c) He sings for them.
(d) He creates illusions for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Faust do when left alone in Gretchen's room in "Evening"?
2. According to Mephistopheles, why does he have no power over the young girl with whom Faust is obsessed?
3. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
4. What does Mephistopheles advise Martha to do in terms of grieving her husband?
5. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)