|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mephistopheles entertain the crowd during "Auerbach's Tavern"?
(a) He creates illusions for them.
(b) He sings for them.
(c) He plays piano for them.
(d) He dances for them.
2. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She is afraid of men.
(b) She does not like to go outside.
(c) She is attracted to Faust.
(d) She wishes to become a nun.
3. Who is stirring the witch's cauldron in "A Witch's Kitchen?"
(a) A female baboon.
(b) A male dog.
(c) A female cat.
(d) A male turtle.
4. What does the clown profess to wanting for this play during "Prelude on the Stage"?
(a) He wants to entertain the audience.
(b) He wants to be seen by the director of a better theater.
(c) He wants to create a grand piece of art.
(d) He wants to play the lead.
5. For what are the archangels praising God in the beginning of the play?
(a) His knowledge.
(b) The beauty of His work.
(c) The grandeur of His presence.
(d) His compassion.
6. According to what he tells Mephistopheles, what did the Easter celebration initially bring Faust, which he no longer has?
7. What is Faust's reaction to the chorus of spirits in the first scene called "Faust's Study?"
(a) He becomes afraid.
(b) He starts to fear for his sanity.
(c) He gets drunk.
(d) He falls asleep.
8. How does Mephistopheles give Martha contradicting statements about her husband in "The Neighbor's House"?
(a) He tells her that her husband was a homosexual, but probably not.
(b) He hints at different times that her husband loved her or did not love her.
(c) He tells her that her husband is dead and then alive.
(d) He tells her that her husband was a great man and a despicable man.
9. Why does Faust decide to turn to magic use?
(a) He thinks it is the only way he can expand his mind.
(b) He wants to summon Mephistopheles.
(c) He wants to debunk the myth of magic.
(d) He is attracted to a witch.
10. What is Faust doing in his first appearance in this play?
(a) He is writing a suicide note.
(b) He is burning his books.
(c) He is reading the Bible.
(d) He is reviewing his knowledge.
11. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
12. From where does the witch enter during "A Witch's Kitchen"?
(a) The window.
(b) The cauldron.
(c) The fireplace.
(d) The chimney.
0..........Mephistopheles has become bored because there is no challenge in ________ mankind anymore.
14. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
(a) God invited him.
(b) He sneaked in behind another angel.
(c) He has to ask God for a favor.
(d) He and God are friends.
15. What is Faust heavily doubting in "Night"?
(a) His sanity.
(b) His relationship with God.
(c) His will to live.
(d) His intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mephistopheles, what must he and Faust do in order for the potion to work?
2. What suggestion does Mephistopheles give Gretchen in "The Neighbor's House" in regards to marriage?
3. In what time does "Prelude on the Stage" take place?
4. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
5. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)