|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gretchen believe people tell her that she is beautiful?
(a) They are attempting to reduce her down to only her physical attributes.
(b) She thinks that they are trying to tempt her away from God.
(c) They pity her because of her poverty.
(d) They only want to sleep with her.
2. How does Mephistopheles feel about mankind?
(a) He feels they are worthy of his attention.
(b) He feels as if they are a great amusement.
(c) He looks down upon them.
(d) He feels that they are misguided creatures.
3. What effects are had on the men in the tavern due to Mephistopheles's presence?
(a) They begin to fall asleep.
(b) They begin to hallucinate.
(c) Three of the men die.
(d) They begin to speak in tongues.
4. What does Martha believe about her abusive husband?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is jealous of her wealth.
(c) He is going to kill her one day.
(d) He is traveling abroad with his mistress.
5. What does Martha admit about the second box of jewelry?
(a) The jewelry is gaudy.
(b) The jewelry is probably heaven-sent.
(c) She feels uneasy around the jewelry.
(d) The jewelry is very likely stolen.
6. What does the poodle refuse to do when in Faust's study?
(c) Warm itself by the fire.
(d) Stay calm.
7. What is Mephistopheles forced to wear while waiting for the witch?
(a) A broken crown.
(b) A tattered cape.
(c) A belt made out of human skin.
(d) A large black boot.
8. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She is attracted to Faust.
(b) She does not like to go outside.
(c) She is afraid of men.
(d) She wishes to become a nun.
9. Why does the witch burn herself on her cauldron?
(a) The baboon lets it boil over.
(b) She falls into the fire.
(c) She drops her book in the cauldron and has to fetch it.
(d) She forgets that she is warming up the cauldron.
10. What is Faust's title?
11. After he drinks the potion, what does Faust want to do?
(a) Travel to another country.
(b) Join the militia.
(c) See the girl from the mirror.
(d) Seduce a random woman.
12. What is the fate of the box of jewelry when Gretchen shows it to her mother?
(a) Gretchen buried it in the garden.
(b) Gretchen had to give it to her priest.
(c) Gretchen sold the jewelry and gave the money to charity.
(d) Gretchen throws the jewelry away.
13. Fill in the blank: Mephistopheles will serve Faust on Earth if Faust will ___________________.
(a) Give up his holy studies.
(b) Serve Mephistopheles in hell.
(c) Kill Wagner.
(d) Renounce God with the intention of having others renounce him as well.
14. What is the poet's goal in the beginning of this play?
(a) A scathing look at society.
(c) A true artistic statement.
(d) A story of redemption for a time without hope.
15. With what does Faust sign his agreement with Mephistopheles?
(a) Ink made up of blood and ash.
(b) Consecrated wine.
(c) Mephistopheles's blood.
(d) His own blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to God, how does Faust feel about his relationship with Him?
2. For what reasons do Faust and Mephistopheles visit a witch?
3. Why does Mephistopheles come to God in the "Prologue in Heaven"?
4. From what does the witch read before giving Faust his potion to appear younger?
5. What does Wagner interrupt when he comes to see Faust in "Night?"
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)