|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through By A Shrine Inside The Town Wall, Night. The Street Outside Gretchen's Door, and A Cathedral.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gretchen choose this particular person to pray to during "By a Shrine Inside the Town Wall, Night"?
(a) She feels only the Virgin Mary will understand her pain.
(b) She feels that she has become Mary Magdalene.
(c) She is afraid that she needs protection.
(d) She believes that Jesus will not judge her.
2. In "Evening," what does Gretchen admit to herself?
(a) She is attracted to Faust.
(b) She wishes to become a nun.
(c) She does not like to go outside.
(d) She is afraid of men.
3. Where does Mephistopheles leave the box of jewelry for Gretchen before he and Faust leave her room?
(a) By the window.
(b) On her pillow.
(c) Her cabinet.
(d) Under her bed.
4. What does Mephistopheles explain to Faust about Gretchen's mother in "A Promenade"?
(a) She is suspicious of all men.
(b) She is afraid of the outside world.
(c) She can sense anything evil or nonspiritual.
(d) She is bitter of her daughter's beauty.
5. What does Mephistopheles claim happened to Martha's husband?
(a) He died of a sexually transmitted disease from the woman he spent his fortune on.
(b) He drowned at sea.
(c) He was beaten to death in a bar fight.
(d) He was arrested for murder and executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gretchen's secret?
2. To what town does Mephistopheles bring Faust at the end of the second "Faust's Study" scene?
3. What does Mephistopheles promise Gretchen at the end of "The Neighbor's House"?
4. What does Martha advise Gretchen to do with the second box of jewelry that was mysteriously left for her?
5. What are the men in the tavern about ready to do when Mephistopheles finally stops them?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)