|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Walter meet at the customer's house?
2. What does Walter hear as he crouches in the dark?
3. What does Walter use to create a harness?
4. What happens after Walter hangs up the phone?
5. What does Phyllis tell Walter before he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Keyes?
2. Why does Walter start to panic after he jumps off the train?
3. What are the circumstances leading up to Walter and Phyllis agreeing to kill Mr. Nirdlinger?
4. Describe the scenario where Walter kills Mr. Nirdlinger.
5. Who does Phyllis bring in as a witness to the paper signing and why is Walter upset by her choice?
6. Describe Walter's state of mind while waiting for the time to kill Mr. Nirdlinger arrives.
7. What do Walter and Phyllis do with Mr. Nirdlinger's body?
8. What metaphor does Phyllis use to describe herself?
9. What do Walter and Phyllis do to make sure Walter is not inspected too closely by anyone at the train station?
10. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the point of view in this novel. From whose perspective is the story told? Cite some examples that validate your position.
Essay Topic 2
Keyes is obviously the voice of reason throughout the story. Does the author create him as a sympathetic character, or is he always an irritant to both the reader and the characters in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Walter is so enamored with Phyllis. Why does he willingly offer to commit murder for her? Is this typical behavior for Walter or has something happened to him at this particular point in his life.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)