|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phyllis' ulterior motive for having Lola in the room?
2. Why does Walter begin to get nervous?
3. What does Walter use to create a harness?
4. What is Walter's worry about his work?
5. What is Phyllis' demeanor during this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
2. Describe Lola's demeanor when she visits Walter at his office a week later.
3. What do Walter and Phyllis do with Mr. Nirdlinger's body?
4. What precipitates Walter's plan to kill Phyllis?
5. How does Phyllis initiate the idea of an accident policy on her husband?
6. Describe the meeting between Walter and Phyllis.
7. What are the preliminary investigative results about the case?
8. What are Walter's final preparations before leaving home to commit the murder?
9. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
10. What is Walter's response to Phyllis' request for an accident policty on her husband?
Essay Topic 1
Walter and Phyllis spend most of their time avoiding being caught for their crime. Do you think they ever felt remorse for what they did? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Keyes. What is his role in Walter's life? What is his role in the book overall?
Essay Topic 3
The story illustrates how evil thoughts lead to evil deeds. Why is Walter a prime candidate to take part in the crime? What is the lethal combination that lures him to make this decision?
This section contains 1,633 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)