|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phyllis wearing when she first talks to Walter?
2. What will the insurance company think about Mr. Nirdlinger?
3. What does Walter stuff into his coat?
4. What does Lola want from Walter?
5. What is Walter's worry about his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between Walter and Phyllis.
2. What do Walter and Phyllis do to make sure Walter is not inspected too closely by anyone at the train station?
3. What do Walter and Phyllis do with Mr. Nirdlinger's body?
4. What does Walter do when he returns home after the murder?
5. What are Walter's final preparations before leaving home to commit the murder?
6. How does Phyllis surprise Walter on the evening after their talk?
7. Describe the scenario where Walter kills Mr. Nirdlinger.
8. Describe the final challenge Walter and Phyllis face in completing their facade?
9. Who is Keyes?
10. What are the reasons that Walter would agree to help Phyllis kill her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Walter and Phyllis spend most of their time avoiding being caught for their crime. Do you think they ever felt remorse for what they did? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Walter is so enamored with Phyllis. Why does he willingly offer to commit murder for her? Is this typical behavior for Walter or has something happened to him at this particular point in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the meaning of the book's title. What is the literal meaning? What is the figurative meaning? Explain.
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)