|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Walter headed when he remembers something for another customer?
2. What is Phyllis' plea to Walter?
3. Which method do Walter and Phyllis decide for the murder?
4. At what time is Mr. Nirdlinger's train scheduled to leave?
5. What does Walter do on the day of Mr. Nirdlinger's scheduled departure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the final challenge Walter and Phyllis face in completing their facade?
2. What is Walter's response to Phyllis' request for an accident policty on her husband?
3. What favor does Lola ask of Walter on behalf of her boyfriend?
4. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
5. What do Walter and Phyllis do to make sure Walter is not inspected too closely by anyone at the train station?
6. Why does Walter call his office that night looking for a rate book?
7. What precipitates Walter's meeting Phyllis Nirdlinger?
8. What are Walter's final preparations before leaving home to commit the murder?
9. Describe the scenario where Walter kills Mr. Nirdlinger.
10. How does Phyllis initiate the idea of an accident policy on her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Walter and Phyllis spend most of their time avoiding being caught for their crime. Do you think they ever felt remorse for what they did? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Keyes is obviously the voice of reason throughout the story. Does the author create him as a sympathetic character, or is he always an irritant to both the reader and the characters in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the meaning of the book's title. What is the literal meaning? What is the figurative meaning? Explain.
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)