|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Keyes want to talk to Walter about?
2. Who else does Walter call to ask about his rate book?
3. With what article of clothing does Phyllis flirt with Walter?
4. What does Walter use to break Mr. Nirdlinger's neck?
5. Who is Keyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the happy accident that befalls Mr. Nirdlinger?
2. What is it that finally makes Walter admit to murdering Nirdlinger?
3. What does Keyes tell Walter to get him to start thinking about confessing to Nirdlinger's murder?
4. What are the circumstances leading up to Walter and Phyllis agreeing to kill Mr. Nirdlinger?
5. What is the next step in Walter and Phyllis' plan after the murder?
6. Describe the final challenge Walter and Phyllis face in completing their facade?
7. What shock does Walter get on his second day at sea?
8. What information about Sachetti does Walter learn from Lola?
9. What is Walter's second main concern related to the murder?
10. What precipitates Walter's meeting Phyllis Nirdlinger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Walter and Phyllis spend most of their time avoiding being caught for their crime. Do you think they ever felt remorse for what they did? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The story is written in a style called noir fiction for which Cain is famous. Explain the concept of noir fiction and cite some examples to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Walter believes that he is smarter than most of the people he deals with--including Phyllis. Explain how this is part of his downfall. What role do greed and ego play in Walter's demise?
This section contains 1,697 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)