|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Walter need a harness?
2. What does Walter do to remove the obstacle?
3. What does Walter stuff into his coat?
4. Phyllis is attractive, but sort of _____________.
5. What is Phyllis' plea to Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Walter's final preparations before leaving home to commit the murder?
2. What metaphor does Phyllis use to describe herself?
3. Who is Keyes?
4. What do Walter and Phyllis do to make sure Walter is not inspected too closely by anyone at the train station?
5. What are the reasons that Walter would agree to help Phyllis kill her husband?
6. Describe Walter's state of mind while waiting for the time to kill Mr. Nirdlinger arrives.
7. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
8. What favor does Lola ask of Walter on behalf of her boyfriend?
9. Who is Mr. Sachetti?
10. What is Walter's second main concern related to the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Walter is a pretty cold character until he meets Lola. Explain the irony of Walter's falling in love with Lola.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the point of view in this novel. From whose perspective is the story told? Cite some examples that validate your position.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Walter have a change of heart regarding Phyllis? What enters into the relationship that makes her repugnant to him? Explain.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)