Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter realize now about Phyllis?
2. Who does Lola ask Walter to stop and pick up on the way?
3. Where does Walter drop off Lola after the meeting?
4. Why is Walter nervous with Lola in the room?
5. Who is Phyllis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
2. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
3. How does Walter find out who Keyes thinks is Phyllis' accomplice?
4. How does Phyllis surprise Walter on the evening after their talk?
5. What information about Sachetti does Walter learn from Lola?
6. What is the next step in Walter and Phyllis' plan after the murder?
7. What are Walter's final preparations before leaving home to commit the murder?
8. What is the biggest logistical problem Walter and Phyllis face regarding the murder?
9. Why does Walter make three visits to Mr. Nirdlinger?
10. Who is Mr. Sachetti?
Explain Phyllis' personal history. What else is in her background that shows an evil character? Why does she behave the way she does?
The story is written in a style called noir fiction for which Cain is famous. Explain the concept of noir fiction and cite some examples to support your position.
Explain why Walter is so enamored with Phyllis. Why does he willingly offer to commit murder for her? Is this typical behavior for Walter or has something happened to him at this particular point in his life.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)