|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter stop Phyllis from discarding?
2. Where does Walter drop off Lola after the meeting?
3. When does Phyllis return to Walter's house?
4. What makes it difficult to board a train unnoticed?
5. What does Walter do to remove the obstacle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What precipitates Walter's meeting Phyllis Nirdlinger?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing in this chapter?
3. Who is Mr. Sachetti?
4. What is Walter's response to Phyllis' request for an accident policty on her husband?
5. What are the reasons that Walter would agree to help Phyllis kill her husband?
6. Describe Walter's state of mind while waiting for the time to kill Mr. Nirdlinger arrives.
7. What is the biggest logistical problem Walter and Phyllis face regarding the murder?
8. Who does Phyllis bring in as a witness to the paper signing and why is Walter upset by her choice?
9. Describe the final challenge Walter and Phyllis face in completing their facade?
10. What metaphor does Phyllis use to describe herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does it never occur to Walter that Phyllis is thinking of a way to kill him just as he is thinking of killing her? What is it about Walter's personality that allows for this flawed lack of judgment? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Walter and Phyllis spend most of their time avoiding being caught for their crime. Do you think they ever felt remorse for what they did? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Is the relationship between Walter and Lola credible? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)