|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Walter feel for the way he responds to Phyllis?
2. What does Walter do when he dresses?
3. Who is the customer that Walter remembers?
4. What does Lola caution Walter about?
5. What does Walter do to remove the obstacle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
2. What precipitates Walter's meeting Phyllis Nirdlinger?
3. Describe the scenario where Walter kills Mr. Nirdlinger.
4. What are the reasons that Walter would agree to help Phyllis kill her husband?
5. What is the biggest logistical problem Walter and Phyllis face regarding the murder?
6. What favor does Lola ask of Walter on behalf of her boyfriend?
7. Describe the final challenge Walter and Phyllis face in completing their facade?
8. Describe Walter's state of mind while waiting for the time to kill Mr. Nirdlinger arrives.
9. How does Walter answer Phyllis regarding accident policies?
10. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This story is built on a thread of tension for dramatic effect. Cite three examples from the book in which the author puts the characters in almost unbearably tense situations.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the meaning of the book's title. What is the literal meaning? What is the figurative meaning? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of the moon throughout the story? What does it mean for Walter and Lola? What does it ultimately mean for Walter and Phyllis? Explain.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)