Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter realize now about Phyllis?
2. Who does Lola ask Walter to stop and pick up on the way?
3. Where does Walter drop off Lola after the meeting?
4. Why is Walter nervous with Lola in the room?
5. Who is Phyllis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
2. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
3. How does Walter find out who Keyes thinks is Phyllis' accomplice?
4. How does Phyllis surprise Walter on the evening after their talk?
5. What information about Sachetti does Walter learn from Lola?
6. What is the next step in Walter and Phyllis' plan after the murder?
7. What are Walter's final preparations before leaving home to commit the murder?
8. What is the biggest logistical problem Walter and Phyllis face regarding the murder?
9. Why does Walter make three visits to Mr. Nirdlinger?
10. Who is Mr. Sachetti?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of the moon throughout the story? What does it mean for Walter and Lola? What does it ultimately mean for Walter and Phyllis? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Why does it never occur to Walter that Phyllis is thinking of a way to kill him just as he is thinking of killing her? What is it about Walter's personality that allows for this flawed lack of judgment? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Walter is a pretty cold character until he meets Lola. Explain the irony of Walter's falling in love with Lola.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)