|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what article of clothing does Phyllis flirt with Walter?
2. Why does Walter say he wants to help Phyllis?
3. What does Walter use to break Mr. Nirdlinger's neck?
4. Who observes as Walter and Mr. Nirdlinger discuss the papers?
5. What happens that forces Mr. Nirdlinger to take the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter start to panic after he jumps off the train?
2. From what point of view is this story told?
3. What do Walter and Phyllis do to make sure Walter is not inspected too closely by anyone at the train station?
4. What does Walter do when he returns home after the murder?
5. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
6. How does Phyllis surprise Walter on the evening after their talk?
7. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
8. What activities does Walter follow to begin to set up his alibi on the day the murder is to take place?
9. How does Walter answer Phyllis regarding accident policies?
10. Describe the meeting between Walter and Phyllis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the relationship between Walter and Lola credible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Walter and Phyllis spend most of their time avoiding being caught for their crime. Do you think they ever felt remorse for what they did? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Walter have a change of heart regarding Phyllis? What enters into the relationship that makes her repugnant to him? Explain.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)