|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter tell Phyllis?
2. What is Phyllis' demeanor during this time?
3. What does Walter burn in the fireplace when he returns home?
4. What does Walter swindle Mr. Nirdlinger into doing?
5. What does Walter think before making a return call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Walter start to panic after he jumps off the train?
2. What do Walter and Phyllis do with Mr. Nirdlinger's body?
3. What is the next step in Walter and Phyllis' plan after the murder?
4. What favor does Lola ask of Walter on behalf of her boyfriend?
5. What are the circumstances leading up to Walter and Phyllis agreeing to kill Mr. Nirdlinger?
6. Why does Walter make three visits to Mr. Nirdlinger?
7. How does Walter answer Phyllis regarding accident policies?
8. What is Walter's second main concern related to the murder?
9. Describe the meeting between Walter and Phyllis.
10. What does Walter do when he returns home after the murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Walter is so enamored with Phyllis. Why does he willingly offer to commit murder for her? Is this typical behavior for Walter or has something happened to him at this particular point in his life.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Walter and Phyllis. What qualities does each bring to the scenario to commit the "perfect murder?"
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Walter's using the crutch to kill Mr. Nirdlinger. What does this choice show about Walter? Why did the author choose the crutch when there are so many other options available to Walter?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)