|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which method do Walter and Phyllis decide for the murder?
2. Who is Phyllis?
3. What does Walter do to remove the obstacle?
4. How does Walter feel for the way he responds to Phyllis?
5. Who does Walter place a phone call to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Phyllis do after the insurance company denies liability for the accident claim?
2. Why does Walter call his office that night looking for a rate book?
3. How does Walter find out who Keyes thinks is Phyllis' accomplice?
4. What is the biggest logistical problem Walter and Phyllis face regarding the murder?
5. What is the happy accident that befalls Mr. Nirdlinger?
6. From what point of view is this story told?
7. What is the next step in Walter and Phyllis' plan after the murder?
8. What is the symbolism of the moon at the end of the story?
9. Describe Lola's demeanor when she visits Walter at his office a week later.
10. Why does Walter's secretary, Nettie, call him at home that morning?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Keyes. What is his role in Walter's life? What is his role in the book overall?
Essay Topic 2
Is the relationship between Walter and Lola credible? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Walter is so enamored with Phyllis. Why does he willingly offer to commit murder for her? Is this typical behavior for Walter or has something happened to him at this particular point in his life.
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)