|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Walter call from his home to complete his alibi?
(b) His mother
(c) Another insurance agent
2. What does Walter do after he jumps off the train?
(a) Crouches between two sets of tracks
(b) Phones a friend to come get him
(c) Drives away in his car
(d) Stops at a bar for a drink
3. What is Phyllis' demeanor during this time?
(c) Not too concerned
4. Why does Walter say they cannot disable Mr. Nirdlinger's car for the accident?
(a) Walter does not want to arouse any suspicions
(b) The plan involves Walter using the car
(c) Walter does not want to leave fingerprints
(d) Walter does not know how to do that
5. What does Walter think before making a return call?
(a) What kind of warning he can clip to that application
(b) Making a doctor's appointment
(c) Making dinner reservations for Saturday
(d) Picking up his dry cleaning
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Walter come to the Nirdlinger residence?
2. Who observes as Walter and Mr. Nirdlinger discuss the papers?
3. How does Phyllis react to Walter's coaching her about how to react?
4. What does Walter do at 4:00 on the day of Mr. Nirdlinger's scheduled departure?
5. What is Walter's first thought to Phyllis' plea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the biggest logistical problem Walter and Phyllis face regarding the murder?
2. What is Walter's response to Phyllis' request for an accident policty on her husband?
3. What precipitates Walter's meeting Phyllis Nirdlinger?
4. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
5. Why does Walter make three visits to Mr. Nirdlinger?
6. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
7. What are the circumstances leading up to Walter and Phyllis agreeing to kill Mr. Nirdlinger?
8. Describe Walter's state of mind while waiting for the time to kill Mr. Nirdlinger arrives.
9. Who is Mr. Sachetti?
10. What does Walter do when he returns home after the murder?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)