|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Phyllis carrying as she approaches Walter?
(a) Her husband's suitcase
(b) Her husband's body
(c) Her husband's crutches
(d) Her husband's glasses
2. What does Walter tell Phyllis?
(a) He thinks she is the most beautiful woman he has ever seen
(b) He is going to help her kill her husband
(c) He wants to marry her
(d) He wants her to leave his house
3. What does Phyllis do after Walter's accusation?
(a) Throws a vase
(b) Kisses him
(c) Leaves the house
(d) Makes a phone call
4. What does Phyllis tell Walter when she calls him?
(a) Lola has run away
(b) Mr. Nirdlinger is wearing a blue suit
(c) She has the flu
(d) She is leaving town
5. What does Walter do after he jumps off the train?
(a) Phones a friend to come get him
(b) Stops at a bar for a drink
(c) Crouches between two sets of tracks
(d) Drives away in his car
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter think before making a return call?
2. What happens to Walter as the accident policy is processing over the winter and spring?
3. What does Lola want from Walter?
4. What does Walter hear as he crouches in the dark?
5. What is Phyllis' demeanor during this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Walter and Phyllis do to make sure Walter is not inspected too closely by anyone at the train station?
2. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
3. Describe the final challenge Walter and Phyllis face in completing their facade?
4. What does Walter do when he returns home after the murder?
5. Why does Walter call his office that night looking for a rate book?
6. How does Walter answer Phyllis regarding accident policies?
7. What precipitates Walter's meeting Phyllis Nirdlinger?
8. How does Phyllis surprise Walter on the evening after their talk?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing in this chapter?
10. Who is Keyes?
This section contains 1,257 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)