|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beverage does Phyllis offer Walter?
2. Why does Walter need a harness?
(a) To ride a donkey
(b) To tame a stallion
(c) To move some rocks
(d) To dispose of the body
3. Who does Phyllis give the items to at the train station?
(a) The ticket taker
(c) The man selling tickets
(d) A porter
4. What does Phyllis do to prevent all the porters from looking too closely at Walter?
(a) Retreats into the station
(b) Creates a distraction by pulling up her stockings
(c) Rushes ahead to tip one of the porters
(d) Dumps the contents of her purse
5. What happens to Walter as the accident policy is processing over the winter and spring?
(a) He changes his mind
(b) He breaks his leg
(c) He has many sleepless nights
(d) He moves out of town
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter stuff into his coat?
2. Where is Walter headed when he remembers something for another customer?
3. What does Walter try to anticipate?
4. What does Walter burn in the fireplace when he returns home?
5. What does Phyllis tell Walter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
2. What is Walter's second main concern related to the murder?
3. What precipitates Walter's meeting Phyllis Nirdlinger?
4. Why does Walter start to panic after he jumps off the train?
5. Who does Phyllis bring in as a witness to the paper signing and why is Walter upset by her choice?
6. From what point of view is this story told?
7. What do Walter and Phyllis do to make sure Walter is not inspected too closely by anyone at the train station?
8. Describe the meeting between Walter and Phyllis.
9. Who is Keyes?
10. What does Walter do when he returns home after the murder?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)