|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Phyllis' ulterior motive for having Lola in the room?
(a) To teach her to knit
(b) To make Walter nervous
(c) To hear the discussion about the accident policy
(d) To keep an eye on her
2. What does Phyllis tell Walter when she calls him?
(a) She has the flu
(b) Mr. Nirdlinger is wearing a blue suit
(c) She is leaving town
(d) Lola has run away
3. What does Phyllis tell Walter?
(a) She wants to buy another policy
(b) She never wants to see him again
(c) She wants to separate from her husband
(d) She loves her husband and worries about him
4. Why is Walter nervous with Lola in the room?
(a) He is uncomfortable considering the plan to kill her father
(b) She is very attractive
(c) She is too young to be involved
(d) She is very outspoken
5. What does Walter burn in the fireplace when he returns home?
(a) The fake cast
(b) The insurance policy
(c) The train ticket
(d) The map to Palo Alto
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Walter and Phyllis take with them to the train station?
2. With what article of clothing does Phyllis flirt with Walter?
3. What is Walter's spot to jump off the train?
4. What does Walter do at 4:00 on the day of Mr. Nirdlinger's scheduled departure?
5. Who does Lola ask Walter to stop and pick up on the way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transpires when Keyes returns to Walter's hospital room later that night?
2. What happens after Walter wakes up in the hospital?
3. Describe the final challenge Walter and Phyllis face in completing their facade?
4. How does Walter answer Phyllis regarding accident policies?
5. What surprising information does Walter get from reading the newspaper account of his accident?
6. What is Walter's state of mind immediately after the murder and what mistake does he preempt?
7. What reinforces Lola's love for Sachetti?
8. What are the details of Walter's plan to kill Phyllis?
9. How do Walter and Phyllis' strained emotions exhibit with each other after the murder?
10. What is it that finally makes Walter admit to murdering Nirdlinger?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)