|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After broaching the subject of Thrawn's treachery on soil detoxification, Leia announces that they must free Khabarakh and steal ____.
2. Refusing to use mind control as at Nkllon, Luke uses the Force only to suppress the curiosity of ____ men in a pilot's lounge.
3. Negotiations are held aboard the Coral ____.
4. Fey'lya charges that Han wants the ____ for presenting the Katana Fleet.
5. When the turbolift car halts in the general alarm, Mara subdues the Imperial passenger, and flees carefully with Luke and Karrde down the track, which is ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the deal that Thrawn makes with Mara involving giving Mara time to talk to Karrde and how it affects Mara's opinion of the Empire.
2. Explain the deceptive message that Lando receives from Luke via Winter and the ensuing discussion about the price of the Katana Fleet.
3. Explain how Leia gets the upper hand over Fey'lya during the battle to get the Katana Fleet back.
4. Mara seems to be only interested in her own self-preservation, except where Talon Karrde is concerned. Why do you think that Mara cares so much for Talon Karrde?
5. Why isn't Thrawn upset when Luke and Mara escape wit Karrde on the Falcon?
6. Why is Mara upset over having to ask for Luke's help?
7. Explain how Leia's actions in this section with regard to purifying the Noghiri home world probably saved Leai from capture by Thrawn.
8. Explain how Luke's opinion of C'baoth and Mara's opinion of C'baoth differ.
9. Why does Thrawn want to head Leia off at Endor?
10. Explain what Sena thinks about the situation with Fey'lya and Ackbar and why Sena feels that way.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, there is an implication that Thrawn is on the side of bad and the New Republic characters, like Luke, Han, and Leia are on the side of right. Do you agree with that implication in a broader sense? In other words, do you think that any conflict has a clear good and a clear bad side? Why or why not? Use several examples from the book as well as several from real life to back up your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Thrawn seems cold and calculated throughout the book. He has a plan and seems to know how to implement it. However, everyone has a weakness.
1. What do you feel that Thrawn's weakness is and why? Use at least three specific examples from the book to back your answer up.
2. How would you exploit Thrawn's weakness if you were a member of the New Republic?
3. How would you exploit Thrawn's weakness if you were Pellaeon and clearly want to escape from Thrawn's rule?
Essay Topic 3
C'baoth plays a large role in the book. Describe C'baoth's mental decline throughout the book, using at least five specific examples from the story. Also, explain why you think C'baoth acts the way that he does and what you feel that Luke or the New Republic should do with C'baoth, as a result of his actions and mental instability.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)