|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the Prologue, who first notices smoke rising over the land?
2. Who does Rincewind interrogate in order to discover Twoflower's whereabouts in Chapter 1?
3. What does Rincewind offer to do in exchange for some chicken?
4. What does Rincewind call gold's magical quality?
5. According to the tale told on the hill overlooking the burning cities, who is responsible for the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork insist that Rincewind acts as Twoflower's guide?
2. What is the agreement between Ymor and Zlorf?
3. Why is Rerpf concerned about the city's reputation?
4. Why can't the researchers answer their questions regarding the great turtle's gender?
5. What was said to be true about a man who owned a needle made of octiron?
6. Why does Twoflower pack water in the Luggage for his trip?
7. What are the two men sitting on the hillside discussing as they watch the fire burn?
8. Why does Weasel throw Twoflower's watch into the woods?
9. What is the Luggage made from?
10. What does the picture box's imp tell Twoflower about the temple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several characters who attempt to kill Rincewind.
a. Identify three characters who try to kill Rincewind. Describe the situation and how Rincewind escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Rincewind, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Magic is an integral part of this story. The story consists of many magical places, magical characters, and wizards. Describe the role magic plays in the story. How do different characters use magic in different situations? When is magic used for self-protection, defense, or aggression? How does belief in magic affect the use of magic? How does this belief or lack thereof impact the characters and their resulting situations?
Essay Topic 3
Twoflower, Rincewind, and Hrun are the three characters featured most prominently in the story. Compare and contrast these three characters in terms of personality, characteristics, and moral codes.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)