|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Rincewind and Twoflower travel to Chrim, Rincewind hears the word quaint for the first time. What does Rincewind think quaint means?
2. How many magic spells does Rincewind know?
3. What is the Hub?
4. What is Rerpf concerned with?
5. What is Rimfall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the two men on the hillside know that the two riders have come from the burning cities?
2. What was said to be true about a man who owned a needle made of octiron?
3. Why is Rerpf concerned about the city's reputation?
4. Describe the structure of the alternate universe the story takes place in.
5. When Death meets Rincewind in Morpork, why is Death surprised?
6. As Rincewind concludes his tale, what puzzles Bravd?
7. What does the reader learn from witnessing the gods' game in progress?
8. How do Rincewind and Twoflower escape from Withel?
9. How does Hrun end up at the Temple of Bel-Shamharoth?
10. What is the agreement between Ymor and Zlorf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Lady is a force in moving the story forward.
a. Describe the Lady in terms of who she is, what she believes, and what her motivations are.
b. How does the Lady interfere with Discworld events to bring about the larger picture? What is the larger picture?
c. Why is the Lady integral to the story? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Both Kring and Luggage are inanimate objects infused with magical qualities that bring them to life.
a. Describe both of these objects in terms of the objects' looks and characteristics.
b. Compare and contrast these two objects in terms of purpose in the story, affect on the other characters, and overall plot impact.
c. What lasting effects do each of these objects have on the main characters that they come into contact with? Why are these changes important to character development?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, Death pays several visits to Rincewind. Describe the relationship between these two characters. How do the events of the gods' game impact Death's attempts to collect Rincewind's soul? Is Death affected by his inability to collect Rincewind? If so, how? Is Rincewind affected by Death's inability to collect his soul? If so, how? Why does the author include this subplot in the story?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)