|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the river to search for Twoflower, where does Rincewind head to?
2. What is the dryad's name who rescues Rincewind, then holds him prisoner?
3. When the reader is introduced to the gods' game, which three players have already been knocked out of the game?
4. How many magic spells does Rincewind know?
5. What does Rincewind compare Twoflower's job to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two men sitting on the hillside discussing as they watch the fire burn?
2. Describe the structure of the alternate universe the story takes place in.
3. Why did the researchers lower an instrument over the Edge?
4. Why is Rerpf concerned about the city's reputation?
5. During the game, Fate reminds the other player not to cheat. The other player is put out by Fate's admonition. How does Fate respond?
6. Rincewind realizes that he has not been rescued by the dryad, but has been captured. What are the dryad's plans for Rincewind?
7. Why is the Patrician ordered to kill Twoflower?
8. Why does Twoflower pack water in the Luggage for his trip?
9. On the road to Chrim, the imp tells Twoflower that Rincewind wants to learn how to harness lightning. What does Rincewind insist that he really wants?
10. What is the agreement between Ymor and Zlorf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Dunmanifestin, the gods are playing a board game that is affecting the events in Discworld.
a. Identify and describe the players in the game.
b. How are the game's moves affecting the characters in Discworld?
c. Why does the author introduce the idea of the characters in Discworld be controlled by an outside source? What purpose does this serve? How does this idea further the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter One begins with researchers trying to examine the Great A'Tuin in order to figure out how and why their universe was created.
a. Compare and contrast the main theories operating in Discworld as to the great turtle and what its purpose is.
b. How does the exploration of the universe's creation in the story parallel efforts in today's world to determine our world's creation?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Four, Rincewind and Twoflower are snapped into an alternate universe. Compare and contrast the characters of Rincewind and Twoflower with the alternate universe characters of Dr. Rjinswand and Jack Zweiblumen. What does the reader learn about the main characters through the events that take place in the alternate universe? What did the author gain by telling the stories in an alternate universe? Was the author successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)