|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the twin cities is actually on fire?
2. What is the name of the tavern that Twoflower is escorted to in Morpork?
3. As the three men escape from the temple, another god has fallen out of the game. Which god concedes defeat?
4. When Rincewind and the Luggage appear at the Broken Drum, what does Ymor do?
5. What is one magical quality about a needle made from octiron?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Rincewind concludes his tale, what puzzles Rincewind?
2. How does Hrun end up at the Temple of Bel-Shamharoth?
3. Why is Rincewind not a practicing wizard?
4. After the skirmish with Withel, Rincewind tries to escape from Twoflower's employ. What prevents Rincewind from jumping into the river and escaping?
5. What does Rincewind notice about the box when taking people's pictures?
6. On the road to Chrim, the imp tells Twoflower that Rincewind wants to learn how to harness lightning. What does Rincewind insist that he really wants?
7. How do the two men on the hillside know that the two riders have come from the burning cities?
8. As the fire is burning at the beginning of the Chapter One, why are the citizens demolishing bridges?
9. Why is Rerpf concerned about the city's reputation?
10. Why does Twoflower pack water in the Luggage for his trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses many instances of irony to both provide humor in the story and to further character development. Provide and describe at least three ironic twists in the story. For example, Twoflower is met by Blind Hugh, who is not blind, while Twoflower has four eyes. Is the storyline furthered by the author's use of irony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Lady is a force in moving the story forward.
a. Describe the Lady in terms of who she is, what she believes, and what her motivations are.
b. How does the Lady interfere with Discworld events to bring about the larger picture? What is the larger picture?
c. Why is the Lady integral to the story? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter One begins with researchers trying to examine the Great A'Tuin in order to figure out how and why their universe was created.
a. Compare and contrast the main theories operating in Discworld as to the great turtle and what its purpose is.
b. How does the exploration of the universe's creation in the story parallel efforts in today's world to determine our world's creation?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)