Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rincewind call gold's magical quality?
2. At the end of the Prologue, who first notices smoke rising over the land?
3. After the skirmish between Rincewind and Withel, who is trapped inside the Luggage?
4. In the Prologue, where is the noticed smoke coming from?
5. What is the dryad's name who rescues Rincewind, then holds him prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the captain of the ship that rescued Twoflower and Rincewind tell his men to get into the raft and set the ship on fire?
2. How does the troll at the Edge of Discworld furnish his home and obtain most of his belongings?
3. Why is the Patrician ordered to kill Twoflower?
4. Why does the Lady not have a temple built in her honor?
5. As Rincewind concludes his tale, what puzzles Bravd?
6. What do the game pieces in the gods' game look like?
7. Why can't the researchers answer their questions regarding the great turtle's gender?
8. After completing the mortal combat and as Hrun is taking the wine cup from Liessa, he suddenly disappears. Why?
9. As Rincewind concludes his tale, what puzzles Rincewind?
10. Why does Rincewind tell the dragon rider that he will never surrender?
Essay Topic 1
Many people bring cameras on vacation to record their travels, as did Twoflower. What makes Twoflower's picture box unique? How does Twoflower's picture box affect the people around him? The author chose to give Twoflower the picture box. Why? What was the author's intent? What is the author communicating to the reader by virtue of this camera?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several characters who attempt to kill Rincewind.
a. Identify three characters who try to kill Rincewind. Describe the situation and how Rincewind escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Rincewind, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses many instances of irony to both provide humor in the story and to further character development. Provide and describe at least three ironic twists in the story. For example, Twoflower is met by Blind Hugh, who is not blind, while Twoflower has four eyes. Is the storyline furthered by the author's use of irony? Why or why not?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)