|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two characters are watching the city burn from the hillside overlooking the village. Which of these two men is a swordsman?
2. What is Rerpf concerned with?
3. Who is the Crocodile God?
4. After the Luggage prevents Rincewind from jumping into the river, how does the imp suggest that Rincewind finds Twoflower?
5. Who is Rincewind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rincewind realizes that he has not been rescued by the dryad, but has been captured. What are the dryad's plans for Rincewind?
2. As Rincewind concludes his tale, what puzzles Rincewind?
3. On the road to Chrim, the imp tells Twoflower that Rincewind wants to learn how to harness lightning. What does Rincewind insist that he really wants?
4. What is the agreement between Ymor and Zlorf?
5. Why is it so hard to determine the most impressive sight in Discworld?
6. Why do the thieves and trolls abandon the fight at the Broken Drum?
7. Name three of the gods who are playing the board game.
8. Why did the researchers lower an instrument over the Edge?
9. Why is Rincewind not a practicing wizard?
10. During the game, Fate reminds the other player not to cheat. The other player is put out by Fate's admonition. How does Fate respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Four, Rincewind and Twoflower are snapped into an alternate universe. Compare and contrast the characters of Rincewind and Twoflower with the alternate universe characters of Dr. Rjinswand and Jack Zweiblumen. What does the reader learn about the main characters through the events that take place in the alternate universe? What did the author gain by telling the stories in an alternate universe? Was the author successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many times throughout the story, Rincewind's wizardry skills come into question. Describe Rincewind's magical capabilities. How do his magical capabilities both help and hinder the situations that he and Twoflower find themselves in? Provide specific examples. How does being called a "gutter wizard" effect Rincewind's self-esteem, confidence, and willingness to prove himself a "real" magician? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The story begins in Ankh-Morpork and ends in Krull. While these two cities are very different in some ways, there are many similarities between the two cities as well. Compare and contrast the cities of Ankh-Morpork and Krull in terms of the city itself, the people living there, and those in leadership positions.
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)