|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rerpf concerned with?
2. According to the tale told on the hill overlooking the burning cities, who is responsible for the fire?
3. Based on the rock's writings, in what direction does Twoflower head after being separated from Rincewind?
4. Before leaving the tavern, Twoflower pulls out a small black box. What does the box contain?
5. What is the dryad's name who rescues Rincewind, then holds him prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Withel insist upon as he confronts Rincewind?
2. What was said to be true about a man who owned a needle made of octiron?
3. What does Rincewind call the type of magic that is protecting the animal-like creature in Chapter 1?
4. Describe the structure of the alternate universe the story takes place in.
5. Why does Twoflower pack water in the Luggage for his trip?
6. After the skirmish with Withel, Rincewind tries to escape from Twoflower's employ. What prevents Rincewind from jumping into the river and escaping?
7. Why does Weasel throw Twoflower's watch into the woods?
8. As the fire is burning at the beginning of the Chapter One, why are the citizens demolishing bridges?
9. Why does the imp from the box scream at Rincewind as Rincewind tries to take yet another picture for Twoflower?
10. Rincewind realizes that he has not been rescued by the dryad, but has been captured. What are the dryad's plans for Rincewind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Dunmanifestin, the gods are playing a board game that is affecting the events in Discworld.
a. Identify and describe the players in the game.
b. How are the game's moves affecting the characters in Discworld?
c. Why does the author introduce the idea of the characters in Discworld be controlled by an outside source? What purpose does this serve? How does this idea further the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Twoflower, Rincewind, and Hrun are the three characters featured most prominently in the story. Compare and contrast these three characters in terms of personality, characteristics, and moral codes.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter One begins with researchers trying to examine the Great A'Tuin in order to figure out how and why their universe was created.
a. Compare and contrast the main theories operating in Discworld as to the great turtle and what its purpose is.
b. How does the exploration of the universe's creation in the story parallel efforts in today's world to determine our world's creation?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)