|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rincewind think tourist means, based on his impressions of Twoflower?
2. What is the name of Hrun's magical sword?
3. What keeps happening every few minutes to the man on horseback who is lagging behind?
4. Why does Zlorf refuse to answer Ymor's question regarding who hired Zlorf?
5. Who buys one of Twoflower's policies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't the researchers answer their questions regarding the great turtle's gender?
2. Why does the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork insist that Rincewind acts as Twoflower's guide?
3. Why is Rerpf concerned about the city's reputation?
4. What does Rincewind notice about the box when taking people's pictures?
5. If the Big Bang theory is correct, what will happen when the great turtle reaches the Time of Mating?
6. How do the two men on the hillside know that the two riders have come from the burning cities?
7. While Rincewind is struggling to escape the Luggage, what does the imp tell Rincewind?
8. What is the agreement between Ymor and Zlorf?
9. Why does Weasel throw Twoflower's watch into the woods?
10. How do Rincewind and Twoflower get separated on the road to Chirm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several characters who attempt to kill Rincewind.
a. Identify three characters who try to kill Rincewind. Describe the situation and how Rincewind escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Rincewind, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the conflict between reason and magic is played out.
a. Identify three scenarios in which reason and magic are at odds. What is the impact of this conflict on the situation and on the characters involved?
b. Explain how the conflict between reason and magic can be explained away and the two ideas can co-exist.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Four, Rincewind and Twoflower are snapped into an alternate universe. Compare and contrast the characters of Rincewind and Twoflower with the alternate universe characters of Dr. Rjinswand and Jack Zweiblumen. What does the reader learn about the main characters through the events that take place in the alternate universe? What did the author gain by telling the stories in an alternate universe? Was the author successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)