|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Twoflower been saving up money for his journey?
2. What is the name of Hrun's magical sword?
3. What is the name of the secretive kingdom the story begins in?
4. After leaving the river to search for Twoflower, where does Rincewind head to?
5. Octiron is highly valued. According to Rincewind, octiron is almost as rare as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Rincewind and Twoflower get separated on the road to Chirm?
2. Why is Rincewind not a practicing wizard?
3. Why is the Patrician ordered to kill Twoflower?
4. Why does the imp from the box scream at Rincewind as Rincewind tries to take yet another picture for Twoflower?
5. What does Rincewind notice about the box when taking people's pictures?
6. As the fire is burning at the beginning of the Chapter One, why are the citizens demolishing bridges?
7. What does the picture box's imp tell Twoflower about the temple?
8. While Rincewind is struggling to escape the Luggage, what does the imp tell Rincewind?
9. What was said to be true about a man who owned a needle made of octiron?
10. What is the agreement between Ymor and Zlorf?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Four, Rincewind and Twoflower are snapped into an alternate universe. Compare and contrast the characters of Rincewind and Twoflower with the alternate universe characters of Dr. Rjinswand and Jack Zweiblumen. What does the reader learn about the main characters through the events that take place in the alternate universe? What did the author gain by telling the stories in an alternate universe? Was the author successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several characters who attempt to kill Rincewind.
a. Identify three characters who try to kill Rincewind. Describe the situation and how Rincewind escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Rincewind, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
Magic is an integral part of this story. The story consists of many magical places, magical characters, and wizards. Describe the role magic plays in the story. How do different characters use magic in different situations? When is magic used for self-protection, defense, or aggression? How does belief in magic affect the use of magic? How does this belief or lack thereof impact the characters and their resulting situations?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)