|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the four men part ways on the hilltop, what does Rincewind feel compelled to do?
2. What is the name of the alternate world the story is set in?
3. Who is Rincewind?
4. What does Rincewind offer to do in exchange for some chicken?
5. What does the alternate world rest on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rincewind call the type of magic that is protecting the animal-like creature in Chapter 1?
2. Why is Rincewind not a practicing wizard?
3. As Rincewind concludes his tale, what puzzles Bravd?
4. How do the two men on the hillside know that the two riders have come from the burning cities?
5. Why does Weasel throw Twoflower's watch into the woods?
6. After the skirmish with Withel, Rincewind tries to escape from Twoflower's employ. What prevents Rincewind from jumping into the river and escaping?
7. What is the agreement between Ymor and Zlorf?
8. How do Rincewind and Twoflower escape from Withel?
9. What does Withel insist upon as he confronts Rincewind?
10. What does Rincewind notice about the box when taking people's pictures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses many instances of irony to both provide humor in the story and to further character development. Provide and describe at least three ironic twists in the story. For example, Twoflower is met by Blind Hugh, who is not blind, while Twoflower has four eyes. Is the storyline furthered by the author's use of irony? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many people bring cameras on vacation to record their travels, as did Twoflower. What makes Twoflower's picture box unique? How does Twoflower's picture box affect the people around him? The author chose to give Twoflower the picture box. Why? What was the author's intent? What is the author communicating to the reader by virtue of this camera?
Essay Topic 3
Before arriving in Ankh-Morpork, Twoflower was a risk agent in Bes Palargic.
a. Name and describe the product Twoflower sold while in Bes Palargic.
b. How does Twoflower's previous job enhance the character development to this point of both Twoflower and Rincewind?
c. What does this information from Twoflower's past foreshadow in Twoflower's future?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)