|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Fuller from?
2. What is defined as aesthetic or landscape?
3. What does Deleuze describe as the middle ground between action-image realism and affection-image idealism?
4. Who does Deleuze credit as extending the realm of cinema to include the audience?
5. What is the first of five traits of the new image, as designated by Deleuze?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is eternal return?
2. What is burlesque film?
3. What is the law of index?
4. What is impulse-image?
5. What words did Pierce associate with the concepts of firstness, secondness, and thirdness?
6. What does the construction of any-space-whatevers allow?
7. What is naturalism?
8. What is pathetisation?
9. What relationship with the audience does Deleuze say Hitchcock has?
10. Why does Deleuze feel that Americans have difficulties with naturalism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between objectivity and subjectivity? How are both used in film? How do objectivity and subjectivity relate to affective and active factors?
Essay Topic 2
What are the five traits of "new image" that Deleuze describes? How is each trait used, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe both first and second level involved in film making. Explain how a filmmaker can use both the first and second level in unique ways. What should a good filmmaker do during both first and second level preparation to make a successful film?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)