|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ford's film used as an example of the Western genre?
2. What term is defined as the small form that grafts itself on large form?
3. What does Deleuze describe as the middle ground between action-image realism and affection-image idealism?
4. Whose film was "Our Hospitality"?
5. What was Herzog's first obsessive theme?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is pathetisation?
2. What is the law of index?
3. Describe the role Deleuze believes acting plays in a film.
4. What characteristics does Deleuze assign to Westerns in Hawks's functionalism?
5. What are second and final domain?
6. What is naturalism?
7. What is a complex entity?
8. What is the difference between SAS and ASA?
9. What relationship with the audience does Deleuze say Hitchcock has?
10. What does the construction of any-space-whatevers allow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are qualities of Soviet films? In what ways are Soviet films similar to other trends of film? In what ways are Soviet films different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Keaton and Chaplin in the types of comedy Deleuze describes each as portraying. Which does Deleuze seem to care more for?
Essay Topic 3
What does the term "any-space-whatevers" mean? How are any-space-whatevers constructed? How do they work with both shadow and Expressionism?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)