|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first man Deleuze calls a cinematic master of realism?
2. Movement from action to situation is an example of which of the following?
3. Spirituality affects a close-up in that it removes what from the environment?
4. What does Deleuze say can be achieved by a series of continuity shots?
5. What does Deleuze describe as the middle ground between action-image realism and affection-image idealism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is eternal return?
2. What is the law of index?
3. What is burlesque film?
4. What is impulse-image?
5. What are the five traits of the new image, according to Deleuze?
6. Describe the role Deleuze believes acting plays in a film.
7. What is naturalism?
8. Why does Deleuze feel that Americans have difficulties with naturalism?
9. What is a complex entity?
10. What is colorism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe both first and second level involved in film making. Explain how a filmmaker can use both the first and second level in unique ways. What should a good filmmaker do during both first and second level preparation to make a successful film?
Essay Topic 2
Choose a genre of film that you are familiar with. Then follow Deleuze's reasoning and describe how one might go about creating a film belonging to this genre using different techniques and traits.
Essay Topic 3
What qualities does Deleuze use to describe Japanese filmmakers? Are these qualities accurate?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)