|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what film does Griffith's martyred girl appear?
2. Which of these terms describes a geometrical frame?
3. What do "firstness" and "secondness" classify?
4. What is the second pole of the face as described by Deleuze?
5. Sequence shots and long-duration shots show unity of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare land versus sea movement.
2. How does the active factor differ from the affective factor?
3. Describe Griffith's close-up style.
4. What are the poles of the face?
5. How does Deleuze describe objectivity?
6. What is cinematographic illusion?
7. What does Deleuze attribute to pre-war French film?
8. How does Deleuze describe subjectivity?
9. What roles does Deleuze assign to the face?
10. What is an individual, according to Deleuze?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Soviet and pre-war French films. How does dialectic composition differ from mechanical composition? Which technique do you think is stronger?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between objectivity and subjectivity? How are both used in film? How do objectivity and subjectivity relate to affective and active factors?
Essay Topic 3
Bergson had three thesis of movement. Briefly describe each one. Then explain how they are connected and how they are relevant to film.
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)