|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Deleuze describe as the middle ground between action-image realism and affection-image idealism?
2. Deleuze says that directors often fail at naturalism because they are unable to operate in which of the following?
3. What word does Pierce associate with "Secondness"?
4. Keaton uses a large gap to reflect what kind of action?
5. What does lyrical abstraction define?
(a) Shadows with black.
(b) Lights with white.
(c) Colors with shadows.
6. What is the second of five traits of the new image, as designated by Deleuze?
(a) Cliche condemnation.
(b) Deliberate weak links.
(d) Very strong links.
7. What is the name of Herzog's film with a Bavarian landscape?
(a) The Short Vacation.
(b) Heart of Glass.
(c) Shape of the Body.
8. Who does Deleuze describe as obsessed with naturalism but unable to use it?
9. Naturalism refers to how many dimensions?
10. What is the fifth of five traits of the new image, as designated by Deleuze?
(a) Plot condemnation.
(b) Strong plots.
(c) Weak plots.
(d) Absent plots.
11. What is the name of the film genre dedicated to small form action-image?
12. According to Pierce, nothing is beyond which of the following?
13. The laws of organic composition include the laws of what type of movement?
14. When did the crisis of action-image begin in France?
15. Movement from action to situation is an example of which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the form in which things move from situation to action?
2. Charlie Chaplin is used by Deleuze as an example of how a small difference in which element can show a big difference in situation?
3. How does Deleuze describe the difference between Bunuel and Stroheim?
4. Whose film was "Our Hospitality"?
5. According to Deleuze, what was Fuller unable to break?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)