|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hugh require that the narrator do each time he smokes in "Diary of a Smoker"?
(a) Blow the smoke out of the window
(b) Open all the windows
(c) Consider the effects of second-hand smoke
(d) Go outside
2. What genre is "Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family"?
(a) A poem
(b) A short story
(c) A speech
(d) A letter
3. What game do the narrator and his siblings play during Christmas in "Diary of a Smoker"?
(a) Find the best gift for Mom
(b) Find Mom, find Mom's smile
(c) Find a way to get Mom to quit smoking
(d) Find Mom, find Mom's cigarettes
4. Why is the narrator of "After Malison" desperate to talk with Malison one-on-one?
(a) She believes she understands his work in a way others do not.
(b) She is in love with him.
(c) She is trying to keep him away from her friend Bethany.
(d) She wants him to read her new novel.
5. What reason does the author give for wanting to work at UPS in "Santaland Diaries"?
(a) He sees it as an opportunity to utilize his leadership skills.
(b) He hears they have excellent benefits.
(c) He likes the uniform.
(d) He desperately needs money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Clifford's "second biggest mistake of his life" according to his wife in "Season's Greetings..."?
2. Where did Malison grow up in "After Malison"?
3. Which of the following was NOT in the file drawer labeled "POISON" in "Barrel Fever"?
4. What is the last sight visitors see before going into Santa's house in "Santaland Diaries"?
5. What is the "Oh My God, Corner" in "Santaland Diaries"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does the narrator of "Giantess" think he and Lili should tell the man whose plate they broke?
2. How does the author feel about adults who dress in costumes for their jobs in "Santaland Diaries"? How does he believe he will be different if he is hired as one of Santa's elves?
3. Describe Khe Sahn's arrival at the Dunbar home in "Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family".
4. What story does Sedaris tell the little boy Riley when he throws a temper tantrum in "Santaland Diaries"?
5. Describe "the Walrus" in "Santaland Diaries".
6. How does the narrator of "Diary of A Smoker" feel about smoking?
7. How does the narrator deal with parents requesting to visit a Santa of a certain race in "Santaland Diaries"?
8. What theme joins the four scenarios in "The Curly Kind"?
9. What does the narrator do to Marty's motorcycle in "Jamboree"? Who does Marty believe is responsible for the damages?
10. What does the narrator of "Giantess" expect his fellow workers to do as they are waiting in the apartment of an extremely rich client? What do they actually do?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)