|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator find in a copy of Mein Kampf in "Barrel Fever"?
(a) His mother's racist manifesto
(b) His mother's yearly New Year's resolutions
(c) A letter from his mother
(d) Pictures of him as a baby
2. Why does Marty have Vicki's cat put to sleep in "Jamboree"?
(a) He does not think he can love the cat as much as his baby.
(b) He hates cats.
(c) He believes the cat will kill his newborn baby.
(d) He is allergic to cats.
3. Who is Cassandra Lane in "After Malison"?
(a) The narrator's friend from New York City
(b) Malison's current girlfriend
(c) Malison's former girlfriend
(d) A woman in the audience at Malison's reading
4. What is the only unique thing about people according to the narrator in "Santaland Diaries"?
(a) Our DNA
(b) Our interests
(c) Our minds
(d) Our fingerprints
5. Who is the narrator in "After Malison"?
(a) Professor Brouner
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Malison react when he discovers the master's writing class is reading O'Flannery in "After Malison"?
2. Who is Lonnie Tipit in "Season's Greetings..."?
3. What does Khe Sahn wear to Thanksgiving dinner in "Season's Greetings..."?
4. Why is the author uncomfortable working as Exit Elf in "Santaland Diaries"?
5. Who are the readers of "Giantess" magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does the narrator of "Giantess" think he and Lili should tell the man whose plate they broke?
2. What theme joins the four scenarios in "The Curly Kind"?
3. Who is Jamboree in "Jamboree"? How does the narrator feel about him?
4. What story does Sedaris tell the little boy Riley when he throws a temper tantrum in "Santaland Diaries"?
5. What do IV and PCD stand for in "Barrel Fever"? What is the significance of these acronyms for the narrator?
6. Describe Santa Santa in "Santaland Diaries".
7. How does Jocelyn feel about her daughter's marriage to Timothy Speaks in "Season's Greetings..."? How does this compare to her feelings about her grandson, Don?
8. What connection do the elves working at Santa Land have with "One Life to Live" in "Santaland Diaries"?
9. What disgusts the narrator of "After Malison" the most during his master's writing seminar?
10. How does the narrator of "Barrel Fever" feel about the word "nice"? Why does he feel this way?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)