|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sedaris impersonate singing "Away in the Manger" while working with Santa Santa in "Santaland Diaries"?
(a) Billie Holiday
(b) Etta James
(c) Bob Hope
(d) Santa Santa
2. What is the only unique thing about people according to the narrator in "Santaland Diaries"?
(a) Our minds
(b) Our fingerprints
(c) Our interests
(d) Our DNA
3. What is Don's legal name in "Season's Greetings...."?
(a) Satan Speaks
(b) Timothy, Jr.
(d) Relinquish Satan
4. Where is Mrs. Dunbar, supposedly, when Don is killed in "Season's Greetings..."?
(a) In bed
(b) Christmas shopping
(c) At her neighbor, Cherise's house
(d) At the Dunbar's home
5. Why is the narrator of "Jamboree" staying with his sister?
(a) He cannot afford to rent his own apartment.
(b) His father threw him out.
(c) He is looking for a new apartment.
(d) He is protecting his sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator order at the hotel bar in "After Malison"?
2. Which of the following is NOT a suggestion the editor of Giantess magazine gives the narrator in "Giantess"?
3. What is the last sight visitors see before going into Santa's house in "Santaland Diaries"?
4. How does the author meet G.L. in "The Curly Kind"?
5. Why does the narrator drop out of school in "Jamboree"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator of "Barrel Fever" feel about the word "nice"? Why does he feel this way?
2. What does the narrator's mother give him before she dies in "Barrel Fever"? Why does she give him this gift?
3. Describe the experience of visiting the oldest Santa in "Santaland Diaries".
4. How does Jocelyn feel about her daughter's marriage to Timothy Speaks in "Season's Greetings..."? How does this compare to her feelings about her grandson, Don?
5. What story does Sedaris tell the little boy Riley when he throws a temper tantrum in "Santaland Diaries"?
6. Describe the scene in Macy's on Christmas Eve in "Santaland Diaries".
7. What theme joins the four scenarios in "The Curly Kind"?
8. What disgusts the narrator of "After Malison" the most during his master's writing seminar?
9. What do IV and PCD stand for in "Barrel Fever"? What is the significance of these acronyms for the narrator?
10. Describe "the Walrus" in "Santaland Diaries".
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)