|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is found in the bathroom of a Sunoco station in "Firestone"?
(a) A baby boy
(b) A large sum of money
(d) A baby girl
2. How often is "Glen's Homophobia Newsletter" published?
(a) Two times a year
(c) Four times a year
(d) Once a month
3. What is the reason for the narrator's appearance on the Oprah show in "Parade"?
(a) He used to love others too much.
(b) His parents failed to give him the love he deserved.
(c) He loves his sister too much.
(d) No one has ever loved him.
4. How does Chad's father "punish" him for quitting guitar lessons in "My Manuscript"?
(a) He locks him in his room for days.
(b) He makes him teach himself to play the guitar using instructional records.
(c) He gives his expensive guitar away to a more deserving child.
(d) He forces him to go to guitar class every day.
5. Why does the narrator of "Music for Lovers" think it is pointless for his daughter to listen to dance music?
(a) She does not have legs, and therefore, cannot dance.
(b) She does not have feet, and therefore, cannot dance.
(c) He thinks she is destined for a career as a nightclub singer.
(d) He will not allow her out of the house to go to dances.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator in "We Get Along" feel about his father's death?
2. What does Don do to Mrs. Toni when she ridicules his dreams of stardom in "Don's Story"?
3. Why does Glen urge readers to boycott Dave's Kwik Stop in "Glen's Homophobia Newsletter"?
4. Who does the narrator's mother insult at the beginning of "We Get Along"?
5. In "We Get Along", why is Evelyne obsessed with the initials W.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Drew react negatively after Glen shares his dreams with him in "Glen's Homophobia Newsletter"?
2. In "Glen's Homophobia Newsletter", why is Drew having difficulty in his psychology class? What does Glen offer to do to help Drew?
3. What insults does the narrator of "The Last You'll Hear From Me" hurl at Annette and Randy?
4. Describe a typical first date for the "old" version of the narrator of "Parade".
5. Describe the narrator's imaginary nightclub act in "Music for Lovers".
6. Describe Margery in "We Get Along".
7. Describe the scene at Barbra Streisand's house in "Don's Story".
8. Describe the "kid from down the block", who brings Dawn records in "Music from Lovers", from the narrator's perspective.
9. Describe the narrator's experience with the woman on the bus in "Firestone".
10. Describe Chad's father's childhood in "My Manuscript".
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)