|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The phrases "'I hope it doesn't tire him out'" and "'the original boob tube'" in "Firestone" are examples of...
2. How does the narrator of "Parade" feel about how he was treated by his parents when he was a child?
(a) He did not get the love he deserved.
(b) He was smothered by his mother's love.
(c) He was doted on by his parents.
(d) He had a perfectly happy childhood.
3. In "My Manuscript", what shocked Chad's father about the student priest's appearance when he arrived home from school one day?
(a) He had no pants on.
(b) He was wearing makeup.
(c) He had shaved his head.
(d) He was wearing a dress.
4. How does Melinda Delvecchio act towards Glen in "Glen's Homophobia Newsletter"?
(a) She overcompensates for her hatred of Glen.
(b) She is extremely homophobic.
(c) She is standoffish and rude.
(d) She is overly friendly and flirtatious.
5. Who does the narrator's mother insult at the beginning of "We Get Along"?
(a) Her son
(b) The apartment
(c) A mildew stain
(d) Her husband
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Music for Lovers" think the source of his daughter's headaches is?
2. Who is Steve Dolger in "Glen's Homophobia Newsletter"?
3. Why did Terry Glassman destroy his typewriter in "My Manuscript"?
4. What bothers the narrator of "Music for Lovers" most about his daughter's boyfriend, Rusty?
5. Why was Don fired from his job at a cafeteria in "Don's Story"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "kid from down the block", who brings Dawn records in "Music from Lovers", from the narrator's perspective.
2. Describe a typical first date for the "old" version of the narrator of "Parade".
3. How does the narrator of "Parade" describe Patrick Buchanan?
4. What perplexes Carlton about the narrator's unwillingness to correct his vision loss in "Firestone"?
5. Retell the story about the student priest that Mr. Holt tells Chad in "My Manuscript".
6. What specific directions does the narrator of "The Last You'll Hear From Me" give Eileen for the dress she is to wear to the funeral?
7. Contrast the narrator in "Firestone" with his co-workers (Carlton and Taylor).
8. Describe the narrator's imaginary nightclub act in "Music for Lovers".
9. In "We Get Along", what does the narrator think the initials W.S. stand for? Why?
10. What is Chad's relationship with Terry Glassman in "My Manuscript"?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)