|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the author uncomfortable washing the blinds in the bathroom with G.L. in "The Curly Kind"?
(a) The bathroom is extremely small.
(b) The cleaning chemicals will make G.L. sick.
(c) G.L. is naked.
(d) G.L. is watching television.
2. Where does a mother instruct her son to pee in "Santaland Diaries"?
(a) On Santa's lap
(b) On the Magic Star
(c) In the corner of Santa's house
(d) On the artificial snow
3. Where is the camera located in Santa Land in "Santaland Diaries"?
(a) In Santa's hat
(b) In the Magic Star
(c) In the fireplace
(d) In the elf's hat
4. Why did Vicki quit chorus during her sophomore year of high school in "Jamboree"?
(a) The music teacher told her she had no talent.
(b) Her brother talked her out of enrolling in chorus.
(c) She hated her music teacher.
(d) She decided to take Art instead.
5. Which of the following was NOT in the file drawer labeled "POISON" in "Barrel Fever"?
(a) New Year's resolutions written on index cards
(b) Mean letters to the narrator and his siblings
(c) Cruel letters from Dolph to his mother
(d) Adolph Hitler's book
6. Who is the narrator of "Season's Greetings..."?
(a) Jacki Dunbar
(b) Jocelyn Dunbar
(c) Clifford Dunbar
(d) Khe Shan Dunbar
7. Why does Marty have Vicki's cat put to sleep in "Jamboree"?
(a) He does not think he can love the cat as much as his baby.
(b) He believes the cat will kill his newborn baby.
(c) He is allergic to cats.
(d) He hates cats.
8. Who are the readers of "Giantess" magazine?
(a) People who love erotic stories about large women
(b) People who want tips for slaying giantesses
(c) People who secretly want to be giants
(d) People who want tips for becoming giantesses
9. What do the siblings find in sealed boxes after their mother dies in "Barrel Fever"?
(b) Their mother's secret letter collection
(c) Memories of their childhood
(d) All of the gifts they sent her over the years
10. What does Sedaris think every male reader of "Giantess" longs for?
(c) A woman
11. What does the narrator notice about all of the people hired as elves in "Santaland Diaries"?
(a) They are all short.
(b) They are all 18-25 years old.
(c) They are all unemployed actors.
(d) They are all Caucasian.
12. What does Malison name each of the characters in his second novel in "After Malison"?
(a) Professor Nobody
(c) Smithy Smithy
(d) A. Davenport
13. Why is the narrator of "After Malison" desperate to talk with Malison one-on-one?
(a) She is in love with him.
(b) She wants him to read her new novel.
(c) She is trying to keep him away from her friend Bethany.
(d) She believes she understands his work in a way others do not.
14. Who is Khe Sahn in "Season's Greetings..."?
(a) Kevin's girlfriend
(b) The Dunbar's maid
(c) Clifford's illegitimate daughter
(d) Kevin's illegitimate daughter
15. Why does the boy in the elevator refuse the Cheetos in "The Curly Kind"?
(a) They were crushed.
(b) He wanted potato chips.
(c) They are not the curly kind.
(d) They are stale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Magic Star in "Santaland Diaries"?
2. Why does the narrator of "After Malison" agree to let the old man sit at her table at the hotel bar?
3. Who does Sedaris impersonate singing "Away in the Manger" while working with Santa Santa in "Santaland Diaries"?
4. What was Clifford's "second biggest mistake of his life" according to his wife in "Season's Greetings..."?
5. Why is the narrator of "Jamboree" staying with his sister?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)