|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color covers Baudu's shop after the deaths?
2. Why is Mouret uncomfortable at Madame Desforges' home?
3. What does Mouret offer to do for Denise?
4. To what does Mouret invite Denise?
5. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola is quoted as saying, "I am little concerned with beauty or perfection. I don't care for the great centuries. All I care about is life, struggle, intensity. I am at ease in my generation," (My Hates, 1866.) How is this philosophy apparent in AU BONHEUR DES DAMES?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Madame Baudu's wanting the windows opened as she lay dying. What is the symbolism of Baudu's store being draped in white after her death? Identify one other example of symbolism that you find notable.
Essay Topic 3
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES takes place in Paris in the late 1800s. Explain what is going on in Paris at this time that makes Zola decide to write this story in this setting.
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)