|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
2. What is the source of Mouret's anger on this day?
3. What item of clothing has Denise come to help Madame Desforges with?
4. What does Mouret ask Denise?
5. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of symbolism in this story regarding the expansion of Au Bonheur des Dames. What does the growth of the store symbolize for those who work there? For the neighborhood shop owners? For the retail industry in general? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Refusing to be bought is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters refuse to give in or be bought by someone else.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)