|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
2. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
3. Who breaks his legs while trying to commit suicide?
4. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
5. What does Genevieve overhear Colomban saying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Zola is quoted as saying, "I am little concerned with beauty or perfection. I don't care for the great centuries. All I care about is life, struggle, intensity. I am at ease in my generation," (My Hates, 1866.) How is this philosophy apparent in AU BONHEUR DES DAMES?
Essay Topic 2Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3Refusing to be bought is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters refuse to give in or be bought by someone else.
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)