|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. What does Mouret tell Denise to take in his office?
3. Whose funeral is the first one held in Chapter 13?
4. Chapter 10 includes imagery of _______________.
5. Why has Mouret remained a bachelor for so long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Denise, Mouret, Madame Desforges, and Baudu. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mouret. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)