|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the big sale celebrate?
2. Who decides to steal Colomban from his fiancee?
3. Why is Colomban and Genevieve's marriage postponed again?
4. Why has Mouret remained a bachelor for so long?
5. Who brings her children to the store as a form of entertainment?
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of symbolism in this story regarding the expansion of Au Bonheur des Dames. What does the growth of the store symbolize for those who work there? For the neighborhood shop owners? For the retail industry in general? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Zola is quoted as saying, "I am little concerned with beauty or perfection. I don't care for the great centuries. All I care about is life, struggle, intensity. I am at ease in my generation," (My Hates, 1866.) How is this philosophy apparent in AU BONHEUR DES DAMES?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Madame Baudu's wanting the windows opened as she lay dying. What is the symbolism of Baudu's store being draped in white after her death? Identify one other example of symbolism that you find notable.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)