|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
2. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
3. How does Madame de Boves behave when discovered stealing?
4. Which of the following does Denise NOT achieve in the new department?
5. Whose is the second funeral held in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES is a classic struggle for survival story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of symbolism in this story regarding the expansion of Au Bonheur des Dames. What does the growth of the store symbolize for those who work there? For the neighborhood shop owners? For the retail industry in general? Explain.
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)