|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main theme of Chapter 10?
2. Why is Colomban and Genevieve's marriage postponed again?
3. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
4. What problem does Mouret talk about with Vallagnosc?
5. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES is a classic struggle for survival story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Denise, Mouret, Madame Desforges, and Baudu. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)