|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Mouret NOT do with Denise?
2. How does Madame de Boves behave when discovered stealing?
3. What is the topic of all the store rumors?
4. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
5. There are rampant rumors that Mouret will marry ___________.
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of symbolism in this story regarding the expansion of Au Bonheur des Dames. What does the growth of the store symbolize for those who work there? For the neighborhood shop owners? For the retail industry in general? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Denise, Mouret, Madame Desforges, and Baudu. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)