|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Madame Baudu NOT attribute to Genevieve's declining health?
2. What color covers Baudu's shop after the deaths?
3. Why is Colomban and Genevieve's marriage postponed again?
4. Who is Baudu's last faithful customer?
5. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Madame Baudu's wanting the windows opened as she lay dying. What is the symbolism of Baudu's store being draped in white after her death? Identify one other example of symbolism that you find notable.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)