|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Desforges flaunt in front of Denise?
2. Who does Genevieve think that Colomban loves?
3. What type of women does Madame Desforges say that Mouret's store cannot dress?
4. To what does Mouret invite Denise?
5. What event does Madame Desforges host at the beginning of Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mouret. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)