|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
2. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
3. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
4. Who is caught stealing during the big sales?
5. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES takes place in Paris in the late 1800s. Explain what is going on in Paris at this time that makes Zola decide to write this story in this setting.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)