|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Mouret give to Denise?
2. There are rampant rumors that Mouret will marry ___________.
3. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
4. Which group is beginning to forge a new, nameless class?
5. Which of the following do NOT trap the customers inside the store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Madame Baudu's wanting the windows opened as she lay dying. What is the symbolism of Baudu's store being draped in white after her death? Identify one other example of symbolism that you find notable.
Essay Topic 3
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES is a classic struggle for survival story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)