|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem does Mouret talk about with Vallagnosc?
2. Who is Pauline going to marry?
3. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
4. What does Mouret offer to do for Denise?
5. What is Madame Desforges' plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mouret and Baudu. What are their roles within the retail industry in Paris? What are their core values? What are they willing (or not) to do in order to succeed?
Essay Topic 3
Refusing to be bought is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters refuse to give in or be bought by someone else.
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)