|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the buyer in the ladies' wear department?
(a) Madame Aydelotte.
(b) Madame Arquette.
(c) Madame Aurelie.
(d) Madame Auclair.
2. What type of business does Vincard have?
(a) Silk shop.
(b) Antiques shop.
(c) Millinery shop.
(d) Ivory shop.
3. Where do Denise and her brothers come from?
4. What is Madame Desforges hosting at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) A dinner party.
(b) A cocktail party.
(c) A tea.
(d) An engagement party.
5. Who befriends Denise at the store?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what department is Bouthemont the buyer?
2. What is Mouret's best business skill?
3. Denise is criticized for her big dress and _______________.
4. Who are the other tenants living in the house with Denise?
5. Who are Denise's brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Denise get what she wants on her terms at the end of the book?
2. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
3. What realization does Robineau come to regarding Denise's opinion on why large stores are so successful?
4. What are Denise's reactions to Pauline's suggestion on how to assuage her loneliness?
5. Summarize the story of AU BONHEUR DES DAMES.
6. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
7. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
8. What is the symbolism of Genevieve's death?
9. What is more important to Denise than the loss of her job when she is terminated?
10. What surprises Mouret about Denise's love for him?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)