|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Denise finally get when spring arrives?
(a) A salary.
(b) A new hat.
(c) A lover.
(d) A house.
2. What do Mouret and Bourdoncle do first thing every morning?
(a) Have breakfast.
(b) Drink cafe au lait.
(c) Inspect the store.
(d) Meet with department managers.
3. Which silk department employee wants Robineau's job?
4. Where is Denise when she sees Mouret again?
(a) The Tuileries Gardens.
(b) The Louvre.
(c) A bistro near the Seine.
(d) The Eiffel Tower.
5. Who is the assistant silk buyer at Au Bonheur des Dames?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Denise wait to apply for a job?
2. What do the salespeople do at the end of the day?
3. Who is the man with a neighboring store that is angry at Mouret for trying to buy out his lease to expand?
4. Robineau mentions an opening in the ____________ department at Au Bonheur des Dames.
5. It is important to Denise that ____________ knows the truth about what really happened in the basement.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
2. How does Mouret exploit women to achieve his goals?
3. Why is Mouret uncomfortable with the way Madame Desforges flaunts their relationship?
4. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
5. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
6. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
7. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
8. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
9. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
10. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)