|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the dressmaker being discussed by all the ladies?
2. What position does Albert's father, Lhomme, have at the store?
(b) Head tailor.
(c) Chief cashier.
(d) Millinery designer.
3. Who is the inspector who hopes for sexual favors from Denise?
4. Who is the man who is seen in the basement with Denise?
5. What happens at the store during the summer?
(a) Mass employee layoffs.
(b) Huge summer sales.
(c) Increased advertising.
(d) A fire in the ladies department.
Short Answer Questions
1. The silk department employees wish that ____________ would not come back from holiday.
2. What is the name of Uncle Baudu's daughter?
3. Jean has an apprenticeship with _________________.
4. Who is the young man who made a serious delivery error the previous day?
5. Where does Denise wait to apply for a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Denise's demeanor during this difficult time at the store?
2. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
3. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
4. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
5. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
6. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
7. Why is Denise conflicted about falling in love with Mouret?
8. How does the author use images of death to show that it is a part of life?
9. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
10. How does the relationship between Denise and Mouret evolve in Chapter 7?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)