|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Denise pushes Jouve away from her?
(a) Wine splatters on his tie.
(b) He falls down.
(c) He hits his head on a railing.
(d) He slaps her.
2. What is the name of the store that is creating competition for other stores?
(a) Au Bonheur des Dames.
(b) Saks Fifth Avenue.
(d) Bonwit Teller.
3. Why does Bourdoncle have Denise fired?
(a) For being with a man in the basement.
(b) For coming in late too much.
(c) For stealing clothes.
(d) For insulting a customer.
4. How long has Denise been working at the store at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 years.
5. Who befriends Denise at the store?
Short Answer Questions
1. The silk department employees wish that ____________ would not come back from holiday.
2. Which of the following does Bourras NOT bring Denise when Pepe gets sick?
3. Why is Denise attracted to Hutin?
4. To what is Denise's life as a shop girl compared?
5. Why does Madame Aurelie reprimand Denise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Mouret's business practices that have made him successful?
2. What does the color white symbolize in Chapter 14?
3. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
4. What is the symbolism of Genevieve's death?
5. What is more important to Denise than the loss of her job when she is terminated?
6. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
7. Why is Mouret uncomfortable with the way Madame Desforges flaunts their relationship?
8. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
9. Why does Mouret's money and power agitate Denise?
10. What surprises Mouret about Denise's love for him?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)