|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the store during the summer?
(a) Increased advertising.
(b) A fire in the ladies department.
(c) Mass employee layoffs.
(d) Huge summer sales.
2. Where does Denise get a job?
(a) A bistro.
(b) A museum.
(c) Robineau's new shop.
(d) A theatre.
3. For what event is Au Bonheur des Dames prepared at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) Bastille Day sale.
(b) Easter sale.
(c) Christmas sale.
(d) Winter sale.
4. Why does Madame Aurelie plan to give Denise the job?
(a) Denise is beautiful and has the perfect personality to sell ladies wear.
(b) Mouret is interested in Denise and Madame Aurelie wants to make a favorable impression with him.
(c) Mouret has intervened and told her to hire Denise.
(d) Denise has a wonderful body and the clothing will sell itself if she wears it.
5. Why is Bourras angry at Mouret?
(a) Mouret has an affair with Bourras' wife.
(b) Mouret has cheated Bourras in a business deal.
(c) Mouret tries to seduce Bourras' daughter.
(d) Mouret wants to buy out Bourras' store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young man who made a serious delivery error the previous day?
2. Who does Mouret hope to meet at the tea?
3. Which of the following departments do Mouret and Bourdoncle NOT visit this morning?
4. Which of the following does Bourras NOT bring Denise when Pepe gets sick?
5. What do Mouret and Bourdoncle do first thing every morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Denise indirectly change the work lives of the store employees?
2. How does Denise get what she wants on her terms at the end of the book?
3. Explain the imagery of comparing the store to a church or temple.
4. How does the author use images of death to show that it is a part of life?
5. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
6. Who is Mouret and why is Uncle Baudu so angry at him?
7. What does Denise tell her Uncle Baudu about why she and her brothers have come to Paris?
8. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
9. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
10. Summarize the story of AU BONHEUR DES DAMES.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)