|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pauline advise Denise to get?
(a) A bigger apartment.
(b) A lover.
(c) A better job.
(d) A new wardrobe.
2. Which of the following is NOT characteristic of the silk department?
(a) Sales rivalries.
(b) Fierce competition.
(c) Sexual conquests.
(d) Mellow atmosphere.
3. How does Robineau try to help Denise?
(a) He gives her extra work hours.
(b) He finds her some moonlighting work.
(c) He loans her some money.
(d) He gives her money.
4. Who is Mouret's right-hand man?
5. What is the name of Denise's uncle?
(a) Uncle Baudu.
(b) Uncle Bill.
(c) Uncle Bebe.
(d) Uncle Baldwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jouve try to get Denise fired?
2. Why does Madame Aurelie plan to give Denise the job?
3. In what department does Pauline work?
4. Who is Paul Vallagnosc?
5. How long has Denise been working at the store at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is more important to Denise than the loss of her job when she is terminated?
2. Describe some of the conflict going on in departments of the store.
3. What are Denise's feelings as she begins work at Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
5. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
6. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
7. How does Denise indirectly change the work lives of the store employees?
8. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
9. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
10. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)