|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Denise so endearing to Mouret?
(a) She is his niece.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She admired his silk display.
(d) She is smart.
2. Who is Mouret's lover?
(a) Madame Antin.
(b) Madame Desforges.
(c) Madame Defarge.
(d) Madame Ballou.
3. Who is the buyer in the ladies' wear department?
(a) Madame Arquette.
(b) Madame Aurelie.
(c) Madame Auclair.
(d) Madame Aydelotte.
4. What do Mouret and Bourdoncle do first thing every morning?
(a) Have breakfast.
(b) Inspect the store.
(c) Meet with department managers.
(d) Drink cafe au lait.
5. How does Mouret entice the ladies to shop at Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) Customer appreciation programs.
(b) Talking about bargains.
(c) Free delivery.
(d) Free wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what department is Bouthemont the buyer?
2. What role does Mouret assume in the store?
3. Why does Jouve try to get Denise fired?
4. What does Denise finally get when spring arrives?
5. What is the name of Uncle Baudu's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
2. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
3. How does Denise indirectly change the work lives of the store employees?
4. Why can Baudu no longer honor the offer he had made to Denise a year ago?
5. Why does Denise's rejection of Mouret's advances leave him confused?
6. Describe some of the conflict going on in departments of the store.
7. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
8. What is the main theme in Chapter 10?
9. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
10. Where does Denise think that her relationship with Mouret will lead?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)