|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Denise hope to get help?
(a) Her stepfather.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her aunt.
2. What is the name of Uncle Baudu's wife?
3. How long has Denise been working at the store at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 2 years.
4. Who is the man with a neighboring store that is angry at Mouret for trying to buy out his lease to expand?
5. What happens to the business where Denise moonlights?
(a) It expands quickly.
(b) It hires Denise.
(c) It burns down.
(d) It goes bankrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is Denise's life as a shop girl compared?
2. Why does Madame Aurelie plan to give Denise the job?
3. Where does Denise get a job?
4. Why does Mouret hope to meet Baron Hartmann?
5. What does Denise finally get when spring arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
2. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
3. What are some of Mouret's business practices that have made him successful?
4. Why can Baudu no longer honor the offer he had made to Denise a year ago?
5. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
6. What surprises Mouret about Denise's love for him?
7. What is more important to Denise than the loss of her job when she is terminated?
8. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
9. Why is Denise proof that Mouret's money will not buy him everything he wants?
10. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)