|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The silk department employees wish that ____________ would not come back from holiday.
2. Jean has an apprenticeship with _________________.
(a) a sculptor.
(b) an accountant.
(c) an ivory craftsman.
(d) an electrician.
3. Why does Madame Aurelie reprimand Denise?
(a) For wearing inappropriate clothes.
(b) For leaving early.
(c) For being gone so much lately.
(d) For not wearing makeup.
4. Who are Denise's brothers?
(a) Paul and Jean.
(b) Pepe and James.
(c) Pepe and Jean.
(d) Pepe and John.
5. What role does Mouret assume in the store?
(a) Benevolent prince.
(b) King of all he surveys.
(d) Benevolent despot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mouret entice the ladies to shop at Au Bonheur des Dames?
2. Where does Denise get a job?
3. What position does Albert's father, Lhomme, have at the store?
4. Who is Uncle Baudu's assistant?
5. At which of the following stores does Madame Desforges NOT buy her clothes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
2. Why is Mouret uncomfortable with the way Madame Desforges flaunts their relationship?
3. Why is Denise conflicted about falling in love with Mouret?
4. What realization does Robineau come to regarding Denise's opinion on why large stores are so successful?
5. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
6. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
7. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
8. What is the main theme in Chapter 10?
9. What are Denise's reactions to Pauline's suggestion on how to assuage her loneliness?
10. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)