|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robineau reveal about the coat whose quality a customer complains?
(a) He had it made just for that customer.
(b) He bought the finest wool available.
(c) He bought it at Au Bonheur des Dames.
(d) He had his best seamstress make it.
2. Who is the inspector who hopes for sexual favors from Denise?
3. Who declares his love for Denise despite the fact that she only wants to be friends with him?
4. What position does Albert's father, Lhomme, have at the store?
(a) Head tailor.
(b) Chief cashier.
(d) Millinery designer.
5. Which of the following departments do Mouret and Bourdoncle NOT visit this morning?
(d) Infant clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bourdoncle have Denise fired?
2. Why does Madame Aurelie not let Denise sell to a customer?
3. What role does Mouret assume in the store?
4. How much money does Denise borrow from Pauline?
5. Who is the man with a neighboring store that is angry at Mouret for trying to buy out his lease to expand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
2. What is the main theme in Chapter 10?
3. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
4. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
5. What are Bourdoncle's business philosophies that are in sharp contrast to Mouret's?
6. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
7. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
8. How does Vincard symbolize the easier life the store owners could achieve if they can only give in and sell out to Mouret?
9. How does the relationship between Denise and Mouret evolve in Chapter 7?
10. Why does Denise end up leaving the store when she could have anything she wanted?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)