|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what department does Mouret make a stunning display?
(c) Ladies evening wear.
2. How does Mouret entice the ladies to shop at Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) Free delivery.
(b) Customer appreciation programs.
(c) Talking about bargains.
(d) Free wine.
3. Which of the following is NOT a salesgirl in the ladies department?
4. Why is Denise so endearing to Mouret?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is smart.
(c) She admired his silk display.
(d) She is his niece.
5. At which of the following stores does Madame Desforges NOT buy her clothes?
(d) Au bonheur des Dames.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mouret and Bourdoncle do first thing every morning?
2. What does Denise do after her dismissal from Au Bonheur des Dames?
3. How does Robineau try to help Denise?
4. Who is the assistant silk buyer at Au Bonheur des Dames?
5. What is Denise's constant worry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
2. What are Denise's reactions to Pauline's suggestion on how to assuage her loneliness?
3. Who is Mouret and why is Uncle Baudu so angry at him?
4. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
5. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
6. What does the color white symbolize in Chapter 14?
7. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
8. What are some of Mouret's business practices that have made him successful?
9. Summarize the story of AU BONHEUR DES DAMES.
10. Why does Denise's rejection of Mouret's advances leave him confused?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)