|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the atmosphere of the ladies' wear department while Denise waits for an interview?
2. What is Madame Desforges hosting at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) A dinner party.
(b) A cocktail party.
(c) An engagement party.
(d) A tea.
3. From whom does Denise rent a room?
4. What does Denise finally get when spring arrives?
(a) A house.
(b) A lover.
(c) A salary.
(d) A new hat.
5. In what department does Pauline work?
(a) Ladies wear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the young man who made a serious delivery error the previous day?
2. Who is Mouret's right-hand man?
3. In what department does Mouret make a stunning display?
4. What do Mouret and Bourdoncle do first thing every morning?
5. Who is the assistant silk buyer at Au Bonheur des Dames?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
2. Why is Denise so apprehensive about Jouve?
3. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
4. What are Bourdoncle's business philosophies that are in sharp contrast to Mouret's?
5. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
6. Why does Denise end up leaving the store when she could have anything she wanted?
7. What does Denise tell her Uncle Baudu about why she and her brothers have come to Paris?
8. What surprises Mouret about Denise's love for him?
9. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
10. Explain the imagery of comparing the store to a church or temple.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)