|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Pauline advise Denise to get?
(a) A lover.
(b) A bigger apartment.
(c) A better job.
(d) A new wardrobe.
2. Why does Bourdoncle have Denise fired?
(a) For being with a man in the basement.
(b) For coming in late too much.
(c) For insulting a customer.
(d) For stealing clothes.
3. Which silk department employee wants Robineau's job?
4. Mouret wants to partner with Baron Hartmann to ___________________.
(a) expand the store.
(b) get international business.
(c) get better interest rates.
(d) get more publicity.
5. Which of the following is NOT a salesgirl in the ladies department?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in AU BONHEUR DES DAMES?
2. Why does Mouret hope to meet Baron Hartmann?
3. What is the name of Uncle Baudu's store?
4. Where does Denise get a job?
5. Why is Bourras angry at Mouret?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Denise's reactions to Pauline's suggestion on how to assuage her loneliness?
2. How does Vincard symbolize the easier life the store owners could achieve if they can only give in and sell out to Mouret?
3. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
4. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
5. Who are some of the women at Madame Desforges' tea and what is revealed about their shopping habits?
6. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
7. Explain the imagery of comparing the store to a church or temple.
8. What is the burgeoning awareness between Mouret and Denise?
9. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
10. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)