|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the dressmaker being discussed by all the ladies?
2. The silk department employees wish that ____________ would not come back from holiday.
3. What happens when Denise pushes Jouve away from her?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He hits his head on a railing.
(c) Wine splatters on his tie.
(d) He falls down.
4. What is the name of Uncle Baudu's store?
(a) Vieil Baudain.
(b) Creme Patissiere.
(c) Vieil Elbeuf.
(d) Bon Vivant.
5. Who is the man who is seen in the basement with Denise?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the buyer in the ladies' wear department?
2. It is important to Denise that ____________ knows the truth about what really happened in the basement.
3. Who declares his love for Denise despite the fact that she only wants to be friends with him?
4. What is the atmosphere of the ladies' wear department while Denise waits for an interview?
5. On what product does Mouret stake the store's future?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use images of death to show that it is a part of life?
2. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
3. What is the irony of Baudu's position on balancing money and family life?
4. What is the symbolism of Genevieve's death?
5. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
6. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
7. Describe some of the conflict going on in departments of the store.
8. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
9. How are the neighborhood stores faring in comparing to the big department store?
10. How does the relationship between Denise and Mouret evolve in Chapter 7?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)