|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Bourras angry at Mouret?
(a) Mouret tries to seduce Bourras' daughter.
(b) Mouret wants to buy out Bourras' store.
(c) Mouret has cheated Bourras in a business deal.
(d) Mouret has an affair with Bourras' wife.
2. Who is Paul Vallagnosc?
(a) Mouret's concierge.
(b) Mouret's financial adviser.
(c) A school friend of Mouret's.
(d) Mouret's brother-in-law.
3. What occurs in the reception area during the morning inspection?
(a) Customers are treated to cafe au lait and croissants.
(b) The area is being remodeled.
(c) Shoppers are rushing in for a sale.
(d) Goods are being unloaded for a sale.
4. Who are the other tenants living in the house with Denise?
(b) Drug dealers.
5. How does Mouret entice the ladies to shop at Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) Free delivery.
(b) Talking about bargains.
(c) Customer appreciation programs.
(d) Free wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Denise been working at the store at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. Why does Madame Aurelie reprimand Denise?
3. If the store is a big machine, Denise feels like ___________.
4. For what event is Au Bonheur des Dames prepared at the beginning of Chapter 4?
5. What is Denise's constant worry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Denise's feelings as she begins work at Au Bonheur des Dames?
2. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
3. Why does Mouret's money and power agitate Denise?
4. Why is Denise proof that Mouret's money will not buy him everything he wants?
5. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
6. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
7. What is the burgeoning awareness between Mouret and Denise?
8. What is the main theme in Chapter 10?
9. What are some of Mouret's business practices that have made him successful?
10. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)