|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
(a) He/she gets health insurance.
(b) He/she is made a partner.
(c) He/she gets better salaries.
(d) He/she goes down in class.
2. What does Mouret offer to do for Denise?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Set her up in a nice lifestyle.
(c) Pay her medical bills.
(d) Promote her.
3. Why is Colomban and Genevieve's marriage postponed again?
(a) Baudu's pride will not let him pass on an almost bankrupt business.
(b) Baudu thinks that Genevieve can do better for herself.
(c) Colomban's parents do not like Genevieve.
(d) Baudu has a background check done on Colomban.
4. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
5. Who breaks his legs while trying to commit suicide?
6. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
(a) They want people to think they wear only designer clothes.
(b) The store's quality is declining.
(c) The low prices.
(d) Mouret's bad reputation.
7. What does Mouret plan for after Denise has gone?
(a) To go to Valgones and marry her there.
(b) To go into hiding for awhile.
(c) To retire early.
(d) To find another girl to marry.
8. Mouret tells ____________ that the board has decided to fire him/her.
(c) Madame Desforges.
(d) Baron Hartman.
9. What is the theme of the dreams that Denise has during this period?
(a) Finding true love.
(b) Reaching one's goals.
(c) The struggle to survive.
(d) Working through grief.
10. Who brings her children to the store as a form of entertainment?
(a) Madame Bodeau.
(b) Madame Bollinger.
(c) Madame Ballou.
(d) Madame Bourdelais.
11. What does Madame Desforges consider Denise to be?
(a) Her apprentice.
(b) Her friend.
(c) Her mentor.
(d) Her rival.
12. What decision has Mouret made at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Give everyone a raise.
(b) Rearrange the departments.
(c) Extend store hours.
(d) Sell the store.
13. What is the imagery of the store in Chapter 9?
(b) A church.
(d) Storm clouds.
14. What does Baudu talk to Colomban about?
(a) Opening a branch store.
(b) Expanding the shop.
(c) Postponing the wedding.
(d) Buying new inventory.
15. Which of the following does Madame Baudu NOT attribute to Genevieve's declining health?
(a) She is depressed about the delay in her marriage to Colomban.
(b) Spending so much time in a dark shop is not healthy.
(c) She has inherited Madame Baudu's physical weakness.
(d) She stays out late drinking with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose funeral is the first one held in Chapter 13?
2. What is Madame Guibal doing in the reading room?
3. What month is it when Chapter 10 begins?
4. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
5. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)