|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the imagery of the store in Chapter 9?
(a) A church.
(b) Storm clouds.
2. What does Genevieve overhear Colomban saying?
(a) He loves Clara.
(b) He loves Marie.
(c) He loves Pauline.
(d) He loves Denise.
3. How does Madame de Boves behave when discovered stealing?
4. How does Mouret feel about Denise at this point?
(a) He barely tolerates her.
(b) He is falling in love with her.
(c) He enjoys her to a point.
(d) He detests her.
5. What does the big sale celebrate?
(a) Summer holidays.
(d) The final expansion of the store.
6. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
(a) She thinks Denise wants her job.
(b) She thinks Denise is rude.
(c) She thinks Denise is having an affair with Mouret.
(d) She wants Denise to quit.
7. Who decides to steal Colomban from his fiancee?
8. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
(a) He/she goes down in class.
(b) He/she is made a partner.
(c) He/she gets health insurance.
(d) He/she gets better salaries.
9. Why is Mouret crying?
(a) He has a terminal illness.
(b) Denise has agreed to marry him.
(c) Denise is going back home.
(d) His daughter is leaving home.
10. Which of the following does NOT happen to Bourras?
(a) His store is expanded.
(b) His store is demolished.
(c) He declares bankruptcy.
(d) He is evicted.
11. Why can Denise be nothing more than a mistress to Mouret?
(a) He is her employer.
(b) She is not in his class.
(c) He is engaged to be married.
(d) He is married.
12. What event does Madame Desforges host at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) New Year's Eve cocktails.
(b) Easter brunch.
(c) A Saturday tea.
(d) Christmas dinner.
13. Who has Jouve accused of being a thief?
(a) A teenage girl.
(b) An elderly man.
(d) A pregnant woman.
14. Why is Mouret in such despair?
(a) His wife has asked for a divorce.
(b) Denise still refuses his invitations.
(c) The store is in bankruptcy.
(d) His mother has died.
15. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) It is dreary.
(b) It is empty.
(c) It is failing.
(d) It is closed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occasion is about to be launched at Au Bonheur des Dames at the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. What does Mouret not realize regarding Denise?
3. What does Madame Desforges flaunt in front of Denise?
4. What does Genevieve's death symbolize?
5. Which of the following do NOT trap the customers inside the store?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)