|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Madame Desforges flaunt in front of Denise?
(a) Her home.
(b) Her social statuse.
(c) Her jewelry.
(d) Her affair with Mouret.
2. What problem does Mouret talk about with Vallagnosc?
(b) Customer service.
3. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
(a) She would marry him anytime if he would just ask.
(b) She can return to the store as a queen.
(c) Mouret can marry her on her turf.
(d) Mouret can come to Valgones for her.
4. What does Mouret not realize regarding Denise?
(a) She loves Jouve.
(b) She detests him.
(c) She hates Deloche.
(d) She loves him.
5. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
(a) He/she gets health insurance.
(b) He/she goes down in class.
(c) He/she gets better salaries.
(d) He/she is made a partner.
6. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
(a) Mouret's bad reputation.
(b) The store's quality is declining.
(c) They want people to think they wear only designer clothes.
(d) The low prices.
7. Which of the following do NOT trap the customers inside the store?
(a) Charming salesmen.
(b) Locked doors.
(c) Confusing layout.
(d) Artful displays.
8. Mouret tells ____________ that the board has decided to fire him/her.
(b) Baron Hartman.
(d) Madame Desforges.
9. Why is Mouret in such despair?
(a) Denise still refuses his invitations.
(b) His mother has died.
(c) His wife has asked for a divorce.
(d) The store is in bankruptcy.
10. What event does Madame Desforges host at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Easter brunch.
(b) Christmas dinner.
(c) A Saturday tea.
(d) New Year's Eve cocktails.
11. Which of the following does Mouret NOT do with Denise?
(a) Says he has given up all other women.
(b) Begs her to stay.
(c) Terminates her.
(d) Tells her he loves her.
12. What does Mouret ask Denise?
(a) If she will be head silk buyer.
(b) If she will run the store for him.
(c) If she will leave quietly.
(d) If she will marry him.
13. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) The continuous turnover of capital.
(b) Publicity stunts.
(c) Regular merchandise discounts.
(d) Aggressive advertising.
14. What does Mouret tell Denise to take in his office?
(a) A handful of money.
(b) A paperweight.
(c) A vase.
(d) A portrait.
15. Who breaks his legs while trying to commit suicide?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Colomban and Genevieve's marriage postponed again?
2. Why is Genevieve so upset at the beginning of Chapter 13?
3. What does Denise notice about Genevieve when she tries to comfort her?
4. Chapter 10 includes imagery of _______________.
5. What is one thing that Mouret's money cannot buy for him?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)