|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occasion is about to be launched at Au Bonheur des Dames at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) The Easter Sale.
(b) The Summer Sale.
(c) The Christmas Sale.
(d) The Great White Sale.
2. What is the source of Mouret's anger on this day?
(a) A customer is suing the store.
(b) The sales are miserably low.
(c) Taxes are due.
(d) Denise refuses his dinner invitation.
3. What is one thing that Mouret's money cannot buy for him?
(a) A political position.
(b) A royal title.
(c) Denise's love.
(d) An embassy job.
4. Why is Genevieve so upset at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Colomban has left her.
(b) Her brother has died.
(c) Her mother has a terminal illness.
(d) She was terminated from her job.
5. From whom does Denise get a letter?
(c) Her aunt.
6. What does Bouthemont talk to Madame Desforges about?
(a) Designing clothes for his store.
(b) Setting up a competitive store.
(c) Marrying him.
(d) Taking a trip to England.
7. What does Genevieve overhear Colomban saying?
(a) He loves Denise.
(b) He loves Marie.
(c) He loves Pauline.
(d) He loves Clara.
8. What month is it when Chapter 10 begins?
9. How does Mouret feel about Denise at this point?
(a) He enjoys her to a point.
(b) He is falling in love with her.
(c) He barely tolerates her.
(d) He detests her.
10. What color covers Baudu's shop after the deaths?
11. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) It is empty.
(b) It is closed.
(c) It is dreary.
(d) It is failing.
12. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
13. Which of the following is NOT how Bouthemont describes shop girls?
(a) Immersed in luxury.
(b) Good dressers.
(c) Financially savvy.
(d) Lacking education.
14. Mouret tells ____________ that the board has decided to fire him/her.
(b) Madame Desforges.
(c) Baron Hartman.
15. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) Publicity stunts.
(b) Regular merchandise discounts.
(c) The continuous turnover of capital.
(d) Aggressive advertising.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Denise NOT have implemented for the staff as a result of her relationship with Mouret?
2. Whose is the second funeral held in Chapter 13?
3. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
4. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
5. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)