|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occasion is about to be launched at Au Bonheur des Dames at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) The Easter Sale.
(b) The Great White Sale.
(c) The Summer Sale.
(d) The Christmas Sale.
2. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
(a) She can return to the store as a queen.
(b) Mouret can come to Valgones for her.
(c) She would marry him anytime if he would just ask.
(d) Mouret can marry her on her turf.
3. What does Bouthemont talk to Madame Desforges about?
(a) Taking a trip to England.
(b) Setting up a competitive store.
(c) Designing clothes for his store.
(d) Marrying him.
4. What is the source of Genevieve's physical decline?
(a) She has a terminal illness.
(b) She is on a hunger strike.
(c) Her depressed emotional state.
(d) She is anorexic.
5. Whose funeral is the first one held in Chapter 13?
6. Which of the following does Denise NOT have implemented for the staff as a result of her relationship with Mouret?
(a) Game rooms.
(b) Gym memberships.
(c) A library.
(d) Educational classes.
7. Who does Genevieve think that Colomban loves?
8. Which of the following does Mouret NOT do with Denise?
(a) Tells her he loves her.
(b) Says he has given up all other women.
(c) Terminates her.
(d) Begs her to stay.
9. What type of women does Madame Desforges say that Mouret's store cannot dress?
10. What is the theme of the dreams that Denise has during this period?
(a) The struggle to survive.
(b) Working through grief.
(c) Finding true love.
(d) Reaching one's goals.
11. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
(a) They want people to think they wear only designer clothes.
(b) The low prices.
(c) The store's quality is declining.
(d) Mouret's bad reputation.
12. What does Mouret tell Denise to take in his office?
(a) A vase.
(b) A handful of money.
(c) A portrait.
(d) A paperweight.
13. Which of the following does NOT happen to Bourras?
(a) He declares bankruptcy.
(b) He is evicted.
(c) His store is demolished.
(d) His store is expanded.
14. Which of the following does Denise NOT achieve in the new department?
(d) Better salary.
15. Who is Pauline going to marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Denise offer to Baudu?
2. What does Baudu hope will energize his shop?
3. On what terms does Denise agree to stay?
4. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
5. Why can Denise be nothing more than a mistress to Mouret?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)