|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Genevieve's death symbolize?
(a) The suffering one does for love.
(b) The need to be assertive to get what you want.
(c) The death of old ways of doing business.
(d) The plague that is speeding across France.
2. Which of the following best describes Mouret's feelings about the rumors of Denise?
3. What symbolizes life and death in Chapter 13?
4. To what does Mouret invite Denise?
5. What month is it when Chapter 10 begins?
6. Which of the following does Madame Baudu NOT attribute to Genevieve's declining health?
(a) She stays out late drinking with friends.
(b) She is depressed about the delay in her marriage to Colomban.
(c) She has inherited Madame Baudu's physical weakness.
(d) Spending so much time in a dark shop is not healthy.
7. What goal has Mouret met at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) His store has a fleet of 50 delivery vans.
(b) Denise has agreed to marry him.
(c) His expansion plan is approved.
(d) His store has the largest silk inventory in France.
8. Which of the following do NOT trap the customers inside the store?
(a) Confusing layout.
(b) Artful displays.
(c) Charming salesmen.
(d) Locked doors.
9. Why is Mouret in such despair?
(a) His wife has asked for a divorce.
(b) Denise still refuses his invitations.
(c) The store is in bankruptcy.
(d) His mother has died.
10. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
(a) The store's quality is declining.
(b) Mouret's bad reputation.
(c) They want people to think they wear only designer clothes.
(d) The low prices.
11. What is the topic of all the store rumors?
(a) Pauline's pregnancy.
(b) Mouret's illness.
(c) Denise's lovers.
(d) Madame Desforges insanity.
12. What does Mouret plan for after Denise has gone?
(a) To retire early.
(b) To go into hiding for awhile.
(c) To go to Valgones and marry her there.
(d) To find another girl to marry.
13. What happens to Genevieve as a result of her grief?
(a) She gets counseling.
(b) She rallies and goes out on the town.
(c) She stays in bed for months.
(d) She dies.
14. For whom do Pepe and Jean buy some articles during the big sale?
(a) Pepe's girlfriend.
(c) Jean's wife.
15. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
(a) She can return to the store as a queen.
(b) She would marry him anytime if he would just ask.
(c) Mouret can come to Valgones for her.
(d) Mouret can marry her on her turf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baudu hope will energize his shop?
2. Who has Jouve accused of being a thief?
3. What does the big sale celebrate?
4. Who is caught stealing during the big sales?
5. What does Mouret tell Denise to take in his office?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)