|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Madame Desforges' plan?
(a) To retire in three years.
(b) To get Mouret and Denise at her house together.
(c) To take a trip to Spain.
(d) To remodel her dining room.
2. On what terms does Denise agree to stay?
(a) If Mouret promotes her to head of the ladies department.
(b) If Mouret gives her a sizable raise.
(c) If Mouret believes in her good conduct.
(d) If Mouret will set her up in a new apartment.
3. Who brings her children to the store as a form of entertainment?
(a) Madame Bodeau.
(b) Madame Bollinger.
(c) Madame Ballou.
(d) Madame Bourdelais.
4. Who is Pauline going to marry?
5. What color covers Baudu's shop after the deaths?
6. What is the imagery of the store in Chapter 9?
(a) Storm clouds.
(c) A church.
7. What does Madame Desforges flaunt in front of Denise?
(a) Her affair with Mouret.
(b) Her social statuse.
(c) Her jewelry.
(d) Her home.
8. Whose funeral is the first one held in Chapter 13?
9. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) It is closed.
(b) It is empty.
(c) It is failing.
(d) It is dreary.
10. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) The continuous turnover of capital.
(b) Regular merchandise discounts.
(c) Aggressive advertising.
(d) Publicity stunts.
11. Why is Mouret uncomfortable at Madame Desforges' home?
(a) It is too hot.
(b) He sees Denise there.
(c) He does not like being the center of attention.
(d) He has a headache.
12. There are rampant rumors that Mouret will marry ___________.
13. Why is Mouret crying?
(a) His daughter is leaving home.
(b) He has a terminal illness.
(c) Denise is going back home.
(d) Denise has agreed to marry him.
14. Which of the following best describes Mouret's feelings about the rumors of Denise?
15. Who does Genevieve think that Colomban loves?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Mouret give to Denise?
2. What realization does Denise come to?
3. Why can Denise be nothing more than a mistress to Mouret?
4. What is the overall task in the store in August?
5. Why has Mouret remained a bachelor for so long?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)