|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Madame Desforges' plan?
(a) To retire in three years.
(b) To take a trip to Spain.
(c) To get Mouret and Denise at her house together.
(d) To remodel her dining room.
2. What is the new department in which Denise becomes a buyer?
(a) Children's wear.
(b) Gourmet food.
(c) China and crystal.
3. What problem does Mouret talk about with Vallagnosc?
(a) Customer service.
4. What symbolizes life and death in Chapter 13?
5. Why has Mouret remained a bachelor for so long?
(a) He thinks it is the key to his success.
(b) He has not found the right woman.
(c) He cannot commite.
(d) He is not interested in women.
6. Why is Colomban and Genevieve's marriage postponed again?
(a) Colomban's parents do not like Genevieve.
(b) Baudu thinks that Genevieve can do better for herself.
(c) Baudu has a background check done on Colomban.
(d) Baudu's pride will not let him pass on an almost bankrupt business.
7. What does Baudu talk to Colomban about?
(a) Expanding the shop.
(b) Postponing the wedding.
(c) Buying new inventory.
(d) Opening a branch store.
8. Why can Denise be nothing more than a mistress to Mouret?
(a) He is her employer.
(b) He is married.
(c) She is not in his class.
(d) He is engaged to be married.
9. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
(a) She thinks Denise is having an affair with Mouret.
(b) She wants Denise to quit.
(c) She thinks Denise is rude.
(d) She thinks Denise wants her job.
10. Why is Mouret crying?
(a) Denise has agreed to marry him.
(b) His daughter is leaving home.
(c) Denise is going back home.
(d) He has a terminal illness.
11. What does Mouret not realize regarding Denise?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She detests him.
(c) She loves Jouve.
(d) She hates Deloche.
12. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Expanding to London.
(b) Marrying Denise.
(c) Vacationing in St. Moritz.
13. What is the imagery of the store in Chapter 9?
(b) A church.
(d) Storm clouds.
14. On what terms does Denise agree to stay?
(a) If Mouret gives her a sizable raise.
(b) If Mouret promotes her to head of the ladies department.
(c) If Mouret will set her up in a new apartment.
(d) If Mouret believes in her good conduct.
15. Mouret tells ____________ that the board has decided to fire him/her.
(c) Baron Hartman.
(d) Madame Desforges.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
2. What is the source of Genevieve's physical decline?
3. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. Why is Mouret in such despair?
5. Which of the following best describes Mouret's feelings about the rumors of Denise?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)