|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that Mouret's money cannot buy for him?
(a) A political position.
(b) Denise's love.
(c) A royal title.
(d) An embassy job.
2. To what does Mouret invite Denise?
3. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
(a) He/she is made a partner.
(b) He/she gets health insurance.
(c) He/she goes down in class.
(d) He/she gets better salaries.
4. What is the new department in which Denise becomes a buyer?
(a) China and crystal.
(b) Children's wear.
(d) Gourmet food.
5. What is the overall task in the store in August?
(b) Taking inventory.
(c) Advertising campaigns.
(d) Holiday preparations.
6. Why is Mouret crying?
(a) Denise is going back home.
(b) Denise has agreed to marry him.
(c) He has a terminal illness.
(d) His daughter is leaving home.
7. What symbolizes life and death in Chapter 13?
8. What does Baudu talk to Colomban about?
(a) Opening a branch store.
(b) Expanding the shop.
(c) Postponing the wedding.
(d) Buying new inventory.
9. Who is caught stealing during the big sales?
(a) Madame de Boves.
(b) Madame Desforges.
(c) Madame Boulanger.
(d) Madame Ballou.
10. Why is Genevieve so upset at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Colomban has left her.
(b) Her brother has died.
(c) She was terminated from her job.
(d) Her mother has a terminal illness.
11. Who has Jouve accused of being a thief?
(a) A pregnant woman.
(b) An elderly man.
(d) A teenage girl.
12. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
13. What occasion is about to be launched at Au Bonheur des Dames at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) The Easter Sale.
(b) The Christmas Sale.
(c) The Summer Sale.
(d) The Great White Sale.
14. Whose is the second funeral held in Chapter 13?
(d) Madame Baudu's.
15. What decision has Mouret made at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Give everyone a raise.
(b) Sell the store.
(c) Rearrange the departments.
(d) Extend store hours.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Baudu's last faithful customer?
2. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
3. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
4. What is the imagery of the store in Chapter 9?
5. What realization does Denise come to?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)