|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
(a) She can return to the store as a queen.
(b) Mouret can marry her on her turf.
(c) Mouret can come to Valgones for her.
(d) She would marry him anytime if he would just ask.
2. Chapter 10 includes imagery of _______________.
3. What is the new department in which Denise becomes a buyer?
(a) Gourmet food.
(b) China and crystal.
(c) Children's wear.
4. Which of the following does NOT happen to Bourras?
(a) He is evicted.
(b) His store is demolished.
(c) His store is expanded.
(d) He declares bankruptcy.
5. What does the big sale celebrate?
(a) Summer holidays.
(c) The final expansion of the store.
6. What event does Madame Desforges host at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Christmas dinner.
(b) A Saturday tea.
(c) New Year's Eve cocktails.
(d) Easter brunch.
7. What does Mouret tell Denise to take in his office?
(a) A handful of money.
(b) A paperweight.
(c) A portrait.
(d) A vase.
8. Who has Jouve accused of being a thief?
(a) An elderly man.
(c) A teenage girl.
(d) A pregnant woman.
9. What goal has Mouret met at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) His store has the largest silk inventory in France.
(b) His store has a fleet of 50 delivery vans.
(c) His expansion plan is approved.
(d) Denise has agreed to marry him.
10. From whom does Denise get a letter?
(b) Her aunt.
11. What is the topic of all the store rumors?
(a) Denise's lovers.
(b) Pauline's pregnancy.
(c) Mouret's illness.
(d) Madame Desforges insanity.
12. Why is Mouret in such despair?
(a) Denise still refuses his invitations.
(b) The store is in bankruptcy.
(c) His mother has died.
(d) His wife has asked for a divorce.
13. What symbolizes life and death in Chapter 13?
14. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) The continuous turnover of capital.
(b) Aggressive advertising.
(c) Regular merchandise discounts.
(d) Publicity stunts.
15. What job does Denise offer to Baudu?
(a) Delivery driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is caught stealing during the big sales?
2. What does Bouthemont talk to Madame Desforges about?
3. What does Baudu hope will energize his shop?
4. What is the overall task in the store in August?
5. What is the main theme of Chapter 10?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)