|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What decision has Mouret made at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Rearrange the departments.
(b) Give everyone a raise.
(c) Extend store hours.
(d) Sell the store.
2. Chapter 10 includes imagery of _______________.
3. Why is Genevieve so upset at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Her mother has a terminal illness.
(b) Her brother has died.
(c) She was terminated from her job.
(d) Colomban has left her.
4. What does Madame Desforges consider Denise to be?
(a) Her mentor.
(b) Her apprentice.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her rival.
5. Which of the following does NOT happen to Bourras?
(a) His store is demolished.
(b) He is evicted.
(c) His store is expanded.
(d) He declares bankruptcy.
6. What is the source of Genevieve's physical decline?
(a) She has a terminal illness.
(b) Her depressed emotional state.
(c) She is anorexic.
(d) She is on a hunger strike.
7. Why is Mouret uncomfortable at Madame Desforges' home?
(a) He sees Denise there.
(b) It is too hot.
(c) He has a headache.
(d) He does not like being the center of attention.
8. What color covers Baudu's shop after the deaths?
9. Which of the following does Mouret NOT do with Denise?
(a) Says he has given up all other women.
(b) Tells her he loves her.
(c) Terminates her.
(d) Begs her to stay.
10. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
(b) Vacationing in St. Moritz.
(c) Expanding to London.
(d) Marrying Denise.
11. What is the source of Mouret's anger on this day?
(a) A customer is suing the store.
(b) Denise refuses his dinner invitation.
(c) The sales are miserably low.
(d) Taxes are due.
12. What does Mouret tell Denise to take in his office?
(a) A portrait.
(b) A paperweight.
(c) A handful of money.
(d) A vase.
13. Who decides to steal Colomban from his fiancee?
14. What happens to Genevieve as a result of her grief?
(a) She gets counseling.
(b) She dies.
(c) She rallies and goes out on the town.
(d) She stays in bed for months.
15. Which of the following does Denise NOT achieve in the new department?
(c) Better salary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Desforges flaunt in front of Denise?
2. What does Mouret plan for after Denise has gone?
3. On what terms does Denise agree to stay?
4. What does Baudu hope will energize his shop?
5. Why is Mouret crying?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)