|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the big sale celebrate?
(c) Summer holidays.
(d) The final expansion of the store.
2. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
(a) The low prices.
(b) The store's quality is declining.
(c) Mouret's bad reputation.
(d) They want people to think they wear only designer clothes.
3. To what does Mouret invite Denise?
4. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
5. Which of the following do NOT trap the customers inside the store?
(a) Confusing layout.
(b) Charming salesmen.
(c) Locked doors.
(d) Artful displays.
6. Who brings her children to the store as a form of entertainment?
(a) Madame Bourdelais.
(b) Madame Bodeau.
(c) Madame Bollinger.
(d) Madame Ballou.
7. What is the topic of all the store rumors?
(a) Mouret's illness.
(b) Madame Desforges insanity.
(c) Pauline's pregnancy.
(d) Denise's lovers.
8. Who decides to steal Colomban from his fiancee?
9. What decision has Mouret made at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Sell the store.
(b) Give everyone a raise.
(c) Extend store hours.
(d) Rearrange the departments.
10. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) It is closed.
(b) It is dreary.
(c) It is empty.
(d) It is failing.
11. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
(a) She thinks Denise wants her job.
(b) She thinks Denise is having an affair with Mouret.
(c) She thinks Denise is rude.
(d) She wants Denise to quit.
12. Which of the following best describes Mouret's feelings about the rumors of Denise?
13. What type of women does Madame Desforges say that Mouret's store cannot dress?
14. What is the new department in which Denise becomes a buyer?
(a) China and crystal.
(b) Gourmet food.
(c) Children's wear.
15. What is one thing that Mouret's money cannot buy for him?
(a) Denise's love.
(b) An embassy job.
(c) A political position.
(d) A royal title.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Guibal doing in the reading room?
2. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
3. What is the imagery of the store in Chapter 9?
4. What event does Madame Desforges host at the beginning of Chapter 11?
5. What does Mouret offer to do for Denise?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)