|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Mouret talk about with Vallagnosc?
(a) Customer service.
2. Why is Mouret crying?
(a) Denise is going back home.
(b) His daughter is leaving home.
(c) Denise has agreed to marry him.
(d) He has a terminal illness.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) It is failing.
(b) It is dreary.
(c) It is empty.
(d) It is closed.
4. Who is Pauline going to marry?
5. What decision has Mouret made at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Extend store hours.
(b) Give everyone a raise.
(c) Rearrange the departments.
(d) Sell the store.
6. What does Genevieve's death symbolize?
(a) The suffering one does for love.
(b) The need to be assertive to get what you want.
(c) The plague that is speeding across France.
(d) The death of old ways of doing business.
7. Which of the following does Madame Baudu NOT attribute to Genevieve's declining health?
(a) Spending so much time in a dark shop is not healthy.
(b) She stays out late drinking with friends.
(c) She is depressed about the delay in her marriage to Colomban.
(d) She has inherited Madame Baudu's physical weakness.
8. What does Genevieve overhear Colomban saying?
(a) He loves Marie.
(b) He loves Pauline.
(c) He loves Clara.
(d) He loves Denise.
9. What happens to Genevieve as a result of her grief?
(a) She dies.
(b) She stays in bed for months.
(c) She rallies and goes out on the town.
(d) She gets counseling.
10. Whose funeral is the first one held in Chapter 13?
11. Why can Denise be nothing more than a mistress to Mouret?
(a) He is her employer.
(b) He is engaged to be married.
(c) She is not in his class.
(d) He is married.
12. Chapter 10 includes imagery of _______________.
13. What seems to be the primary topic of conversation in the store?
(a) Denise's love life.
(b) The major fashion designers.
(c) World War I.
(d) The price of silk.
14. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Vacationing in St. Moritz.
(b) Marrying Denise.
(c) Expanding to London.
15. There are rampant rumors that Mouret will marry ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose is the second funeral held in Chapter 13?
2. Which of the following is NOT how Bouthemont describes shop girls?
3. What color covers Baudu's shop after the deaths?
4. Which of the following best describes Mouret's feelings about the rumors of Denise?
5. What goal has Mouret met at the beginning of Chapter 12?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)