|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the overall task in the store in August?
(a) Holiday preparations.
(b) Advertising campaigns.
(d) Taking inventory.
2. Which group is beginning to forge a new, nameless class?
(b) Shop girls.
3. Which of the following is NOT how Bouthemont describes shop girls?
(a) Lacking education.
(b) Financially savvy.
(c) Good dressers.
(d) Immersed in luxury.
4. What month is it when Chapter 10 begins?
5. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
(a) She thinks Denise is rude.
(b) She thinks Denise is having an affair with Mouret.
(c) She wants Denise to quit.
(d) She thinks Denise wants her job.
6. Which of the following does Madame Baudu NOT attribute to Genevieve's declining health?
(a) She is depressed about the delay in her marriage to Colomban.
(b) Spending so much time in a dark shop is not healthy.
(c) She stays out late drinking with friends.
(d) She has inherited Madame Baudu's physical weakness.
7. Why is Mouret crying?
(a) He has a terminal illness.
(b) Denise has agreed to marry him.
(c) Denise is going back home.
(d) His daughter is leaving home.
8. What problem does Mouret talk about with Vallagnosc?
(b) Customer service.
9. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
10. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
(a) The store's quality is declining.
(b) The low prices.
(c) Mouret's bad reputation.
(d) They want people to think they wear only designer clothes.
11. Which of the following best describes Mouret's feelings about the rumors of Denise?
12. There are rampant rumors that Mouret will marry ___________.
13. What seems to be the primary topic of conversation in the store?
(a) The major fashion designers.
(b) World War I.
(c) Denise's love life.
(d) The price of silk.
14. What is Madame Desforges' plan?
(a) To get Mouret and Denise at her house together.
(b) To remodel her dining room.
(c) To retire in three years.
(d) To take a trip to Spain.
15. What does Denise notice about Genevieve when she tries to comfort her?
(a) She has gained a lot of weight.
(b) She is very thin.
(c) She has begun to stutter.
(d) She has bruises on her back.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom do Pepe and Jean buy some articles during the big sale?
2. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
3. Why has Mouret remained a bachelor for so long?
4. What goal has Mouret met at the beginning of Chapter 12?
5. What color covers Baudu's shop after the deaths?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)