|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Mouret NOT do with Denise?
(a) Tells her he loves her.
(b) Begs her to stay.
(c) Says he has given up all other women.
(d) Terminates her.
2. How does Madame de Boves behave when discovered stealing?
3. What is the topic of all the store rumors?
(a) Mouret's illness.
(b) Madame Desforges insanity.
(c) Pauline's pregnancy.
(d) Denise's lovers.
4. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
5. There are rampant rumors that Mouret will marry ___________.
6. Who breaks his legs while trying to commit suicide?
7. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) It is dreary.
(b) It is empty.
(c) It is failing.
(d) It is closed.
8. Which group is beginning to forge a new, nameless class?
(b) Shop girls.
9. What goal has Mouret met at the beginning of Chapter 12?
(a) His expansion plan is approved.
(b) His store has the largest silk inventory in France.
(c) Denise has agreed to marry him.
(d) His store has a fleet of 50 delivery vans.
10. Who has Jouve accused of being a thief?
(b) An elderly man.
(c) A teenage girl.
(d) A pregnant woman.
11. What problem does Mouret talk about with Vallagnosc?
(c) Customer service.
12. What is the new department in which Denise becomes a buyer?
(a) Children's wear.
(b) China and crystal.
(d) Gourmet food.
13. Whose is the second funeral held in Chapter 13?
(a) Madame Baudu's.
14. Why does Bouthemont say that distinguished ladies will not admit to wearing clothes from Mouret's store?
(a) They want people to think they wear only designer clothes.
(b) The store's quality is declining.
(c) Mouret's bad reputation.
(d) The low prices.
15. To what does Mouret invite Denise?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Mouret give to Denise?
2. What is the overall task in the store in August?
3. From whom does Denise get a letter?
4. Why is Mouret crying?
5. Why is Mouret in such despair?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)