|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings her children to the store as a form of entertainment?
(a) Madame Ballou.
(b) Madame Bourdelais.
(c) Madame Bollinger.
(d) Madame Bodeau.
2. Who breaks his legs while trying to commit suicide?
3. What is one thing that Mouret's money cannot buy for him?
(a) A political position.
(b) A royal title.
(c) An embassy job.
(d) Denise's love.
4. What event does Madame Desforges host at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) New Year's Eve cocktails.
(b) Christmas dinner.
(c) Easter brunch.
(d) A Saturday tea.
5. What color covers Baudu's shop after the deaths?
6. What job does Mouret give to Denise?
(a) Millinery manager.
(b) Ladies department head.
(c) Advertising manager.
(d) Assistant buyer.
7. Who does Genevieve think that Colomban loves?
8. Which of the following does Madame Baudu NOT attribute to Genevieve's declining health?
(a) Spending so much time in a dark shop is not healthy.
(b) She is depressed about the delay in her marriage to Colomban.
(c) She has inherited Madame Baudu's physical weakness.
(d) She stays out late drinking with friends.
9. Who has Jouve accused of being a thief?
(a) A pregnant woman.
(b) An elderly man.
(d) A teenage girl.
10. What type of women does Madame Desforges say that Mouret's store cannot dress?
11. Which of the following does Denise NOT have implemented for the staff as a result of her relationship with Mouret?
(a) A library.
(b) Gym memberships.
(c) Educational classes.
(d) Game rooms.
12. What is the imagery of the store in Chapter 9?
(a) A church.
(d) Storm clouds.
13. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) It is closed.
(b) It is empty.
(c) It is failing.
(d) It is dreary.
14. What symbolizes life and death in Chapter 13?
15. What does Genevieve's death symbolize?
(a) The need to be assertive to get what you want.
(b) The suffering one does for love.
(c) The plague that is speeding across France.
(d) The death of old ways of doing business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Madame Desforges' plan?
2. What decision has Mouret made at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. On what terms does Denise agree to stay?
4. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
5. What happens to Genevieve as a result of her grief?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)