|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Denise NOT achieve in the new department?
(b) Better salary.
2. Who brings her children to the store as a form of entertainment?
(a) Madame Ballou.
(b) Madame Bodeau.
(c) Madame Bollinger.
(d) Madame Bourdelais.
3. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) Aggressive advertising.
(b) The continuous turnover of capital.
(c) Regular merchandise discounts.
(d) Publicity stunts.
4. What is the theme of the dreams that Denise has during this period?
(a) Working through grief.
(b) Finding true love.
(c) Reaching one's goals.
(d) The struggle to survive.
5. What is the source of Genevieve's physical decline?
(a) Her depressed emotional state.
(b) She is anorexic.
(c) She is on a hunger strike.
(d) She has a terminal illness.
6. Why is Genevieve so upset at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Colomban has left her.
(b) Her mother has a terminal illness.
(c) She was terminated from her job.
(d) Her brother has died.
7. Who breaks his legs while trying to commit suicide?
8. What does Mouret ask Denise?
(a) If she will marry him.
(b) If she will be head silk buyer.
(c) If she will run the store for him.
(d) If she will leave quietly.
9. What does Genevieve overhear Colomban saying?
(a) He loves Clara.
(b) He loves Denise.
(c) He loves Pauline.
(d) He loves Marie.
10. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Vacationing in St. Moritz.
(b) Expanding to London.
(c) Marrying Denise.
11. What does Mouret tell Denise to take in his office?
(a) A handful of money.
(b) A paperweight.
(c) A portrait.
(d) A vase.
12. What does Bouthemont talk to Madame Desforges about?
(a) Designing clothes for his store.
(b) Setting up a competitive store.
(c) Marrying him.
(d) Taking a trip to England.
13. How does Madame de Boves behave when discovered stealing?
14. What event does Madame Desforges host at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) New Year's Eve cocktails.
(b) A Saturday tea.
(c) Easter brunch.
(d) Christmas dinner.
15. What is the topic of all the store rumors?
(a) Pauline's pregnancy.
(b) Madame Desforges insanity.
(c) Mouret's illness.
(d) Denise's lovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occasion is about to be launched at Au Bonheur des Dames at the beginning of Chapter 14?
2. Who is caught stealing during the big sales?
3. What goal has Mouret met at the beginning of Chapter 12?
4. What is the overall task in the store in August?
5. Which of the following does NOT happen to Bourras?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)