|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that Mouret's money cannot buy for him?
(a) A political position.
(b) Denise's love.
(c) An embassy job.
(d) A royal title.
2. Which of the following does NOT happen to Bourras?
(a) His store is demolished.
(b) His store is expanded.
(c) He declares bankruptcy.
(d) He is evicted.
3. There are rampant rumors that Mouret will marry ___________.
4. What is the topic of all the store rumors?
(a) Denise's lovers.
(b) Pauline's pregnancy.
(c) Madame Desforges insanity.
(d) Mouret's illness.
5. Who is Pauline going to marry?
6. What is the overall task in the store in August?
(a) Holiday preparations.
(b) Advertising campaigns.
(d) Taking inventory.
7. What is the main theme of Chapter 10?
8. Which group is beginning to forge a new, nameless class?
(a) Shop girls.
9. What seems to be the primary topic of conversation in the store?
(a) The price of silk.
(b) World War I.
(c) Denise's love life.
(d) The major fashion designers.
10. What event does Madame Desforges host at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Christmas dinner.
(b) Easter brunch.
(c) A Saturday tea.
(d) New Year's Eve cocktails.
11. What symbolizes life and death in Chapter 13?
12. Why can Denise be nothing more than a mistress to Mouret?
(a) She is not in his class.
(b) He is her employer.
(c) He is married.
(d) He is engaged to be married.
13. What occasion is about to be launched at Au Bonheur des Dames at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) The Christmas Sale.
(b) The Summer Sale.
(c) The Easter Sale.
(d) The Great White Sale.
14. Which of the following does NOT describe the state of Baudu's store at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) It is dreary.
(b) It is closed.
(c) It is failing.
(d) It is empty.
15. To whom does Baudu sell his country house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What thought does Mouret begin to entertain at the end of Chapter 12?
2. What decision has Mouret made at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What happens to a shop owner if he/she is forced to work for someone else?
4. What does Denise notice about Genevieve when she tries to comfort her?
5. Who has Jouve accused of being a thief?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)