|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mouret uncomfortable at Madame Desforges' home?
(a) He sees Denise there.
(b) He has a headache.
(c) It is too hot.
(d) He does not like being the center of attention.
2. There are rampant rumors that Mouret will marry ___________.
3. Why does Madame Desforges make things difficult for Denise?
(a) She wants Denise to quit.
(b) She thinks Denise is having an affair with Mouret.
(c) She thinks Denise wants her job.
(d) She thinks Denise is rude.
4. Who has Jouve accused of being a thief?
(a) A pregnant woman.
(b) A teenage girl.
(d) An elderly man.
5. What type of women does Madame Desforges say that Mouret's store cannot dress?
6. Who decides to steal Colomban from his fiancee?
7. Why is Colomban and Genevieve's marriage postponed again?
(a) Baudu thinks that Genevieve can do better for herself.
(b) Baudu has a background check done on Colomban.
(c) Colomban's parents do not like Genevieve.
(d) Baudu's pride will not let him pass on an almost bankrupt business.
8. Whose funeral is the first one held in Chapter 13?
9. What decision has Mouret made at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(a) Rearrange the departments.
(b) Sell the store.
(c) Give everyone a raise.
(d) Extend store hours.
10. To what does Mouret invite Denise?
11. What is the secret to running a successful store like Au Bonheur des Dames?
(a) Regular merchandise discounts.
(b) The continuous turnover of capital.
(c) Aggressive advertising.
(d) Publicity stunts.
12. What does Madame Desforges flaunt in front of Denise?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her social statuse.
(c) Her home.
(d) Her affair with Mouret.
13. What is one thing that Mouret's money cannot buy for him?
(a) A political position.
(b) Denise's love.
(c) A royal title.
(d) An embassy job.
14. Whose is the second funeral held in Chapter 13?
(d) Madame Baudu's.
15. Why is Genevieve so upset at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Her brother has died.
(b) Colomban has left her.
(c) Her mother has a terminal illness.
(d) She was terminated from her job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT what Denise thinks about marrying Mouret and keeping her reputation intact?
2. What realization does Denise come to?
3. What does Madame Desforges consider Denise to be?
4. Why can Denise be nothing more than a mistress to Mouret?
5. On what terms does Denise agree to stay?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)