|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Yvain's new name?
2. How is the problem of inheritance between the two sisters resolved?
3. The people of town warn Yvain that great shame awaits. This foreshadows what?
4. What does Sir Gawain find upon following Kay?
5. Who does Yvain fall in love with and marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of The Knight with the Lion, Calogrenant's declaration that he will tell a tale of his dishonor foreshadows what?
2. Why does Yvain go in search of the spring?
3. With Kay insisting upon leaving after the knight issues a challenge, what qualities does he show and how does it affect the Queen in The Knight of the Cart?
4. What actions of Lancelot's in The Knight of the Cart are considered shameful, and why?
5. What does Lunete give to Yvain, and why?
6. What is the irony of Laudine begging Yvain to stay after he defeats the three knights?
7. What indicates Yvain's fame?
8. What does Lancelot's ability to lift the stone slab in the church's cemetery in The Knight of the Cart foreshadow?
9. What is the story behind the storm stone in The Knight with the Lion?
10. What are two ways that Yvain shows his love for Laudine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the concept of what an Epic Romance or Medieval Romance is. What does it mean? What is a "romance"? How is it considered epic? What are the rules for a tale to be considered a romance? How is the definition of a Medieval Romance different from the term "romance" as it is used today?
Essay Topic 2
The fourth story in the Arthurian Romances is The Knight with the Lion. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) Yvain is known as The Knight with the Lion, which is also the title of this story. Discuss how he comes about this name and why it is significant to the plot.
b) It is said that this story is one of de Troyes' most perfect romances. Discuss why and how this might be. You may use comparisons to the other tales as support.
c) Discuss the relationship between Yvain and Laudine and Yvain and Lunete. Both women play important roles in the tale. Compare and contrast each one's relationship to Yvain and how each is significant to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
All of the Arthurian Romances are told by a narrator. What sort of narrator is he? What kind of view (omniscient, limited, first person) does he have? What sort of voice does he have? Why is the narrator's voice so important to the telling of the tales? Is this narrator effective in doing his job? Who might the narrator be? Use specific examples to support your claims.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)