|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Yvain save the lion from?
2. The people of town warn Yvain that great shame awaits. This foreshadows what?
3. What is Yvain's new name?
4. What object does the girl try to keep Lancelot from seeing?
5. What request does Kay make?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are a few examples of Lancelot's demonstrating his love for the Queen in The Knight of the Cart?
2. What are two ways that Yvain shows his love for Laudine?
3. With Kay insisting upon leaving after the knight issues a challenge, what qualities does he show and how does it affect the Queen in The Knight of the Cart?
4. Why does Yvain go in search of the spring?
5. Briefly compare and contrast King Bademagu and his son, Meleagant, from The Knight of the Cart.
6. What indicates Yvain's fame?
7. In the beginning of The Knight with the Lion, Calogrenant's declaration that he will tell a tale of his dishonor foreshadows what?
8. In the beginning of The Knight of the Cart, the knight who appears in the beginning and issues a challenge foreshadows what?
9. How is Lunete's identity foreshadowed when Yvain comes across her as a prisoner?
10. What does Lancelot's ability to lift the stone slab in the church's cemetery in The Knight of the Cart foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fourth story in the Arthurian Romances is The Knight with the Lion. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) Yvain is known as The Knight with the Lion, which is also the title of this story. Discuss how he comes about this name and why it is significant to the plot.
b) It is said that this story is one of de Troyes' most perfect romances. Discuss why and how this might be. You may use comparisons to the other tales as support.
c) Discuss the relationship between Yvain and Laudine and Yvain and Lunete. Both women play important roles in the tale. Compare and contrast each one's relationship to Yvain and how each is significant to the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Chretien de Troyes and why did he start writing Arthurian romances? Where did he get his ideas and what new ideas or characters is he credited with? Research the author's life and give a historical background, tying it in with his contribution to the legends through his romances. Be sure to include the importance of his creation of Lancelot and the Lancelot-Guinevere relationship. Have others used his works and characters and built on them, writing their own versions?
Essay Topic 3
The Arthurian Romances are full of many allusions to characters in other works of literature and to historical figures. Discuss the use of allusion as a literary tool and how de Troyes uses it. In which stories does he allude to something, and what is it? Why does he do it? Is his allusion given in a positive or negative light, and could this possibly be a reflection of his own opinion for the work? Use specific examples and research the background of each allusion. Is de Troyes' use of the allusions effective in the message it sends to the readers?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)