|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon hearing the rumor of Lancelot's death, which of the following is NOT among what ruins Queen Guinevere's beauty?
2. What does Lunete's advice to Laudine tell us about her character?
3. What does the dwarf tell Lancelot to do?
4. What object does the girl try to keep Lancelot from seeing?
5. How is the problem of inheritance between the two sisters resolved?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of The Knight of the Cart, the knight who appears in the beginning and issues a challenge foreshadows what?
2. Describe what can be understood of Calogrenant and Kay's characters when they see the Queen in The Knight with the Lion.
3. What is the dispute between the two daughters of the Lord of Blackthorn?
4. Briefly compare and contrast King Bademagu and his son, Meleagant, from The Knight of the Cart.
5. Why does Yvain go in search of the spring?
6. What shame follows Lancelot throughout his adventures in The Knight of the Cart?
7. Even though there is a lot of indication of magic and sorcery, what is the only real magic displayed in The Knight of the Cart?
8. With Kay insisting upon leaving after the knight issues a challenge, what qualities does he show and how does it affect the Queen in The Knight of the Cart?
9. What agreement do Yvain and Laudine come to when Yvain is told of King Arthur's tournament?
10. Why does Lunete offer to help Yvain escape when he is trapped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The second story in the Arthurian Romances is Cliges. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) Discuss the demonstrations of treason and treachery that are found throughout Cliges. Explain what these terms mean and analyze each instance that is seen in the tale.
b) There are two tales of love told in Cliges. One between Alexander and Soredeamor, and the other between Cliges and Fenice. Compare and contrast the two relationships and what each tells the reader.
c) Cliges alludes to Tristan and Isolde a few times. Discuss these allusions and whether they are positive or negative. Why are these allusions present? Do research and compare and contrast the two stories as well.
Essay Topic 2
The fifth story in the Arthurian Romances is The Story of the Grail. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) The Story of the Grail tells two separate stories about two separate individuals. Compare and contrast Perceval and Sir Gawain and their adventures.
b) It is said that this story is seen as one of the more puzzling tales. Why is this so? You may use critical analysis as reference and other tales for comparison.
c) Choose either Perceval or Sir Gawain. Discuss how his adventures reveal his character and explore his relationship with others.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of what an adventure, journey, or quest is. Are they all the same or does each term mean something different? How are the tales driven by one of these, and how important is it? Use specific examples from each tale.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)