|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Queen Guinevere's reception of Lancelot when they are finally allowed to meet?
2. What does the lion vow to do?
3. Who sets off to find Lancelot?
4. Who begs Yvain, In disguise, to stay after he and his lion battle?
5. Who is the first to decide to leave court in The Knight of the Cart?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lancelot attempt to regain his pride from his shameful cart ride in The Knight of the Cart?
2. What is the irony of King Bademagu keeping the Queen safely confined in The Knight of the Cart?
3. Why does Lunete offer to help Yvain escape when he is trapped?
4. In the beginning of The Knight with the Lion, Calogrenant's declaration that he will tell a tale of his dishonor foreshadows what?
5. What shame follows Lancelot throughout his adventures in The Knight of the Cart?
6. What is the irony of Laudine begging Yvain to stay after he defeats the three knights?
7. Why does Yvain go in search of the spring?
8. What are two ways that Yvain shows his love for Laudine?
9. What are some instances in which Lancelot's appeal to women is depicted?
10. Even though there is a lot of indication of magic and sorcery, what is the only real magic displayed in The Knight of the Cart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the general concept of the universal and timeless battle of Good versus Evil. How is this depicted in the Arthurian Romances? What is considered good, and who are the good characters? Why? What standards must they follow? What is considered evil and who are the evil characters? What standards must they follow? What happens when good battles evil? Who issues the challenge first? Who stirs up the commotion and how does it end? Is there a typical pattern followed in the Romances? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
The fifth story in the Arthurian Romances is The Story of the Grail. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) The Story of the Grail tells two separate stories about two separate individuals. Compare and contrast Perceval and Sir Gawain and their adventures.
b) It is said that this story is seen as one of the more puzzling tales. Why is this so? You may use critical analysis as reference and other tales for comparison.
c) Choose either Perceval or Sir Gawain. Discuss how his adventures reveal his character and explore his relationship with others.
Essay Topic 3
The fourth story in the Arthurian Romances is The Knight with the Lion. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) Yvain is known as The Knight with the Lion, which is also the title of this story. Discuss how he comes about this name and why it is significant to the plot.
b) It is said that this story is one of de Troyes' most perfect romances. Discuss why and how this might be. You may use comparisons to the other tales as support.
c) Discuss the relationship between Yvain and Laudine and Yvain and Lunete. Both women play important roles in the tale. Compare and contrast each one's relationship to Yvain and how each is significant to the plot.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)