|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Queen Guinevere send second to discover the identity of the maiden who rides with a knight and a dwarf?
2. Who kidnaps Fenice?
3. Why does Enide break her promise to Erec as they are traveling?
4. What is the future consequence of Fenice's actions?
5. At King Arthur's court, what is the color of armor that Cliges wears on the fourth day of the tournament?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Cliges, what does the fading of the golden thread and retention of Soredamor's golden hair in Alexander's shirt sleeve symbolize and foreshadow?
2. How does Guivret prove his friendship towards Erec after being told Erec is dead, in Erec and Enide?
3. Give a brief description of the knight, Erec, from Erec and Enide.
4. What is the irony behind Alis' choosing of John to build Fenice's tomb in Cliges?
5. What is the sparrowhawk contest in Erec and Enide?
6. What is an example of nurse Thessala's cunning in Cliges?
7. What does Erec discover is the Joy of the Court and how does he discover it in Erec and Enide?
8. What happens after Erec faints after his fight with the giants in Erec and Enide? What does Enide think, and what happens to her?
9. How does Fenice allude to Tristan and Isolde in Cliges?
10. What foreshadows the eventual discovery of the two secret lovers in Cliges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Chretien de Troyes and why did he start writing Arthurian romances? Where did he get his ideas and what new ideas or characters is he credited with? Research the author's life and give a historical background, tying it in with his contribution to the legends through his romances. Be sure to include the importance of his creation of Lancelot and the Lancelot-Guinevere relationship. Have others used his works and characters and built on them, writing their own versions?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of women in the Arthurian Romances? Are there different roles? Who are the main female characters, and what do they do? What is their significance, and how do they affect the plot line? What was the role of women in medieval times, and is it accurately portrayed in the tales? Use specific examples to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the concept of what an Epic Romance or Medieval Romance is. What does it mean? What is a "romance"? How is it considered epic? What are the rules for a tale to be considered a romance? How is the definition of a Medieval Romance different from the term "romance" as it is used today?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)