|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does the Queen suggest to King Arthur to wait for Erec to return before deciding who is the most beautiful maiden?
2. When Erec awakens, what does he do?
3. It is discovered that the maiden sitting on the bed is who?
4. How is the second fight between Guivret and Erec stopped?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of the three joys and honors Alexander receives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the treatment towards Erec by the King when they meet again en route, in Erec and Enide.
2. How does Enide convince the count who wants to marry her to not kill Erec after he implores her to leave him?
3. Briefly describe the initial attraction and relationship between Alexander and Soredamour, in Cliges.
4. Why does Erec chase after the knight, the maiden, and the dwarf in Erec and Enide?
5. What is the sparrowhawk contest in Erec and Enide?
6. What happens after Erec faints after his fight with the giants in Erec and Enide? What does Enide think, and what happens to her?
7. The story of Empress Fenice has had what consequences on future royalty, and why in Cliges?
8. Give a brief description of the knight, Erec, from Erec and Enide.
9. Briefly describe Erec's robe of watered silk in Erec and Enide.
10. In Cliges, what does the fading of the golden thread and retention of Soredamor's golden hair in Alexander's shirt sleeve symbolize and foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Chretien de Troyes and why did he start writing Arthurian romances? Where did he get his ideas and what new ideas or characters is he credited with? Research the author's life and give a historical background, tying it in with his contribution to the legends through his romances. Be sure to include the importance of his creation of Lancelot and the Lancelot-Guinevere relationship. Have others used his works and characters and built on them, writing their own versions?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is an effective tool if used correctly and read correctly. Discuss the concept of foreshadowing. How does de Troyes use it? Why does he? Is it effective and easy to understand? Where does he use foreshadowing in the stories, and how do you know it is foreshadowing an event? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
The third story in the Arthurian Romances is The Knight of the Cart. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) In this story, Camelot is mentioned for the first time. Research the idea behind Camelot. What is Camelot and why is it the most famous court of King Arthur's courts? Who created it, and why is it the first time mentioned here?
b) Lancelot is a character created by de Troyes for the purpose of creating the relationship between him and Queen Guinevere. Discuss Lancelot as a character and his relationship with the queen. What does the story tell us?
c) The Knight of the Cart displays a lot of irony and humor. Discuss the many examples of irony and humor in the story and what it tells the reader.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)