|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have the giants done that causes Erec to go in pursuit of them?
2. To whom does King Arthur trust the governing of England during his leave?
3. What is at the end of a row of stakes?
4. Who says "Never do I seek to be free from Love so as not to devote myself always to his service"?
5. On which holiday does the tale Erec and Enide start off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Erec faints after his fight with the giants in Erec and Enide? What does Enide think, and what happens to her?
2. in Cliges, why does Alexander not want to become a knight in Greece?
3. What foreshadows the eventual discovery of the two secret lovers in Cliges?
4. What is the meaning of the hunt for the white stag in Erec and Enide?
5. What is the irony behind Alis' choosing of John to build Fenice's tomb in Cliges?
6. What advice of his father's does Cliges follow?
7. Briefly describe Erec's robe of watered silk in Erec and Enide.
8. Discuss the treatment towards Erec by the King when they meet again en route, in Erec and Enide.
9. How does Enide convince the count who wants to marry her to not kill Erec after he implores her to leave him?
10. In Cliges, Alexander and Alis make a pact. What is this pact, and what does the agreement of the pact say about Alis' character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Chretien de Troyes and why did he start writing Arthurian romances? Where did he get his ideas and what new ideas or characters is he credited with? Research the author's life and give a historical background, tying it in with his contribution to the legends through his romances. Be sure to include the importance of his creation of Lancelot and the Lancelot-Guinevere relationship. Have others used his works and characters and built on them, writing their own versions?
Essay Topic 2
The fourth story in the Arthurian Romances is The Knight with the Lion. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) Yvain is known as The Knight with the Lion, which is also the title of this story. Discuss how he comes about this name and why it is significant to the plot.
b) It is said that this story is one of de Troyes' most perfect romances. Discuss why and how this might be. You may use comparisons to the other tales as support.
c) Discuss the relationship between Yvain and Laudine and Yvain and Lunete. Both women play important roles in the tale. Compare and contrast each one's relationship to Yvain and how each is significant to the plot.
Essay Topic 3
The second story in the Arthurian Romances is Cliges. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) Discuss the demonstrations of treason and treachery that are found throughout Cliges. Explain what these terms mean and analyze each instance that is seen in the tale.
b) There are two tales of love told in Cliges. One between Alexander and Soredeamor, and the other between Cliges and Fenice. Compare and contrast the two relationships and what each tells the reader.
c) Cliges alludes to Tristan and Isolde a few times. Discuss these allusions and whether they are positive or negative. Why are these allusions present? Do research and compare and contrast the two stories as well.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)