|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to discover that Alexander and Soredamour are attracted to one another?
2. What is Soredamour's position?
3. Which of the following three people do NOT want to marry Fenice?
4. On which holiday does the tale Erec and Enide start off?
5. What is the first glory of Alexander's knighthood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Erec discover is the Joy of the Court and how does he discover it in Erec and Enide?
2. How does Enide convince the count who wants to marry her to not kill Erec after he implores her to leave him?
3. Discuss the treatment towards Erec by the King when they meet again en route, in Erec and Enide.
4. What advice of his father's does Cliges follow?
5. What happens after Erec faints after his fight with the giants in Erec and Enide? What does Enide think, and what happens to her?
6. When and why is Alexander knighted, in Cliges?
7. In Cliges, what is the irony behind the golden hairs stitched into the shirt that Alexander receives from the Queen?
8. Why does Erec chase after the knight, the maiden, and the dwarf in Erec and Enide?
9. What is the sparrowhawk contest in Erec and Enide?
10. How does Guivret prove his friendship towards Erec after being told Erec is dead, in Erec and Enide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fifth story in the Arthurian Romances is The Story of the Grail. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) The Story of the Grail tells two separate stories about two separate individuals. Compare and contrast Perceval and Sir Gawain and their adventures.
b) It is said that this story is seen as one of the more puzzling tales. Why is this so? You may use critical analysis as reference and other tales for comparison.
c) Choose either Perceval or Sir Gawain. Discuss how his adventures reveal his character and explore his relationship with others.
Essay Topic 2
The second story in the Arthurian Romances is Cliges. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) Discuss the demonstrations of treason and treachery that are found throughout Cliges. Explain what these terms mean and analyze each instance that is seen in the tale.
b) There are two tales of love told in Cliges. One between Alexander and Soredeamor, and the other between Cliges and Fenice. Compare and contrast the two relationships and what each tells the reader.
c) Cliges alludes to Tristan and Isolde a few times. Discuss these allusions and whether they are positive or negative. Why are these allusions present? Do research and compare and contrast the two stories as well.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea of what an adventure, journey, or quest is. Are they all the same or does each term mean something different? How are the tales driven by one of these, and how important is it? Use specific examples from each tale.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)