|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second son of the Emperor?
2. How does Thessala convince doctors that Fenice is incurably ill?
3. Upon whom does the King bestow the kiss of the white stag?
4. How many days does the Queen suggest to King Arthur to wait for Erec to return before deciding who is the most beautiful maiden?
5. It is discovered that the maiden sitting on the bed is who?
Short Essay Questions
1. The story of Empress Fenice has had what consequences on future royalty, and why in Cliges?
2. In Cliges, what is the irony behind the golden hairs stitched into the shirt that Alexander receives from the Queen?
3. What advice of his father's does Cliges follow?
4. In Cliges, what does the fading of the golden thread and retention of Soredamor's golden hair in Alexander's shirt sleeve symbolize and foreshadow?
5. Describe the garden Erec is shown by King Evrain in Erec and Enide.
6. Briefly describe Erec's robe of watered silk in Erec and Enide.
7. Give a brief description of the knight, Erec, from Erec and Enide.
8. How does Guivret prove his friendship towards Erec after being told Erec is dead, in Erec and Enide?
9. What happens after Erec faints after his fight with the giants in Erec and Enide? What does Enide think, and what happens to her?
10. Briefly describe the initial attraction and relationship between Alexander and Soredamour, in Cliges.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two main characters from two different stories to compare and contrast. It is best to choose two knights or two female characters for easier comparisons. Discuss each character and analyze them. Use specific examples to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
The third story in the Arthurian Romances is The Knight of the Cart. Choose one of the following topics to discuss in regards to the tale. Be sure to use specific examples from the text and use additional outside research where necessary to completely answer the questions.
a) In this story, Camelot is mentioned for the first time. Research the idea behind Camelot. What is Camelot and why is it the most famous court of King Arthur's courts? Who created it, and why is it the first time mentioned here?
b) Lancelot is a character created by de Troyes for the purpose of creating the relationship between him and Queen Guinevere. Discuss Lancelot as a character and his relationship with the queen. What does the story tell us?
c) The Knight of the Cart displays a lot of irony and humor. Discuss the many examples of irony and humor in the story and what it tells the reader.
Essay Topic 3
What is courtly love? Is it similar to the concept of love today? Why or why not? What are guidelines for a relationship to fall under the category of courtly love? What did it mean historically? What does it mean in the Arthurian Romances? What are the examples of courtly love in the stories, and how do you know? What are the similarities and what are the differences between the different love stories? Do they all follow a similar path? Use specific examples to support your claims.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)