|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who captures the white stag?
(a) King Arthur.
(b) Sir Gawain.
(d) King Yder.
2. Who says "Love is worse than Hate because he wounds and destroys his devotee"?
(b) King Arthur.
(c) Queen Guinevere.
3. What does Soredamour tuck into the sleeves and collar of Alexander's shirt?
(b) Strands of hair.
4. What is discovered to happen to any man who goes in search of the Joy of the Court?
(a) Nothing. They come back normal.
(b) They return with treasure.
(c) They never return.
(d) They meet with death upon returning.
5. Who says "Eyes, you have betrayed me. My heart was once loyal to me. You made it hate me", and why?
(a) Soredamour, because she is in love with Alexander.
(b) Alexander, because he is in love with Soredamour.
(c) Queen Guinevere, because she knows Soredamour and Alexander love each other.
(d) Sir Gawain, because he does not want Soredamour to love Alexander.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cliges take Fenice's "dead" body?
2. Who is Fenice?
3. It is discovered that the maiden sitting on the bed is who?
4. What must Erec do to discover the Joy of the Court?
5. At King Arthur's court, what is the color of armor that Cliges wears on the second day of the tournament?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice of his father's does Cliges follow?
2. In Cliges, what does the fading of the golden thread and retention of Soredamor's golden hair in Alexander's shirt sleeve symbolize and foreshadow?
3. What happens after Erec faints after his fight with the giants in Erec and Enide? What does Enide think, and what happens to her?
4. When and why is Alexander knighted, in Cliges?
5. What does Erec discover is the Joy of the Court and how does he discover it in Erec and Enide?
6. How does Enide convince the count who wants to marry her to not kill Erec after he implores her to leave him?
7. What foreshadows the eventual discovery of the two secret lovers in Cliges?
8. What is the irony behind Alis' choosing of John to build Fenice's tomb in Cliges?
9. Briefly describe the initial attraction and relationship between Alexander and Soredamour, in Cliges.
10. How does Guivret prove his friendship towards Erec after being told Erec is dead, in Erec and Enide?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)