|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Alis break his oath to his brother?
(a) By deciding to take a wife.
(b) By not giving up the throne to Cliges.
(c) By giving up the throne to Cliges.
(d) By retaining the crown.
2. Why does Kay fight Erec even though they know each other?
(a) Kay wants Enide for himself.
(b) Kay is testing Erec.
(c) Kay does not recognize Erec.
(d) Kay detests Erec for leaving.
3. What is the future consequence of Fenice's actions?
(a) All future empresses of Constantinople are guarded as though imprisoned.
(b) All future empresses of Constantinople must prove they love the emperor.
(c) All future emperor's of Constantinople make sure not to forcibly marry a woman who does not love them.
(d) All future women of Constantinople are guarded as though imprisoned.
4. When Erec awakens, what does he do?
(a) Kills the count.
(b) Kills the giants.
(c) Kills everyone.
(d) Kills Enide.
5. What does Erec instruct Enide NOT to do as they are traveling?
Short Answer Questions
1. What adventures does Erec decide to undertake after hearing of it from Guivret?
2. Who is the first person Erec encounters on his journey for the Joy of the Court?
3. On which holiday does the tale Erec and Enide start off?
4. It is discovered that the maiden sitting on the bed is who?
5. Who is the first to discover that Alexander and Soredamour are attracted to one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony behind Alis' choosing of John to build Fenice's tomb in Cliges?
2. What does Erec discover is the Joy of the Court and how does he discover it in Erec and Enide?
3. What is the sparrowhawk contest in Erec and Enide?
4. in Cliges, why does Alexander not want to become a knight in Greece?
5. How does Guivret prove his friendship towards Erec after being told Erec is dead, in Erec and Enide?
6. In Cliges, what does the fading of the golden thread and retention of Soredamor's golden hair in Alexander's shirt sleeve symbolize and foreshadow?
7. Why do Erec and Enide leave King Arthur's court?
8. What is an example of nurse Thessala's cunning in Cliges?
9. How does Fenice allude to Tristan and Isolde in Cliges?
10. What is the meaning of the hunt for the white stag in Erec and Enide?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)