|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does Abu Kir sit around and loaf in Alexandria?
(a) Twenty days.
(b) Thirty days.
(c) Eight days.
(d) Three days.
2. What does the Indian man give King Sabur in the story of The Ebony Horse?
(a) A gold statue of a man with a trumpet.
(b) Gold bracelets.
(c) A cask of frankincense.
(d) A jeweled mirror.
3. To where does Abu return after losing his money and friends in The Sleeper And The Waker?
(a) His mother's house.
(b) A mosque.
(c) His father's house.
(d) A temple.
4. What does the Maghribi wizard pose as in Alaeddin: Or, The Wonderful Lamp?
(a) A long lost cousin.
(b) A slave.
(c) A long lost uncle.
(d) A Jinni.
5. What does the Persian give King Sabur in the story of The Ebony Horse?
(a) A gold elephant.
(b) A woman.
(c) A black horse.
(d) Three peacocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does King Shah Zaman decide to marry after his brother suggests it?
2. How many sons does Shahrazad bear to King Shahryar over the 1001 nights of storytelling?
3. What embarrassing thing happens to Abu Hasan at the celebration in the story of How Abu Hasan Broke Wind?
4. What do the thieves say to open the door of the cave in Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves?
5. How much money does the Caliph offer to whomever can tell him who died first in Abu's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Abu-al Hasan make his way into the upper echelons of the Caliph's palace in The Sleeper And The Waker?
2. How is the ending of this story from The Ebony Horse a very direct and personally-related implication to the king from Shahrazad?
3. How is Abu Kir's life like his business in Abu Kir The Dyer And Abu Sir The Barber?
4. Consider the saying "One cannot fully escape the past." How is this saying proven in Ma'aruf The Cobbler And His Wife Fatimah?
5. What lesson does Shahrazad teach the king through her story in Sindbad The Seaman And Sindbad The Lands?
6. In the tale of Ma'aruf The Cobbler And His Wife Fatimah, Shahrazad demonstrates the difference between a good wife and a wicked one. How could this relate to Shahrazad's goals in the long run between herself and the king?
7. In Judar And His Brethren, how does Judar portray his greed?
8. How does the constant questioning of Sindbad the Seaman's identity throughout Sindbad The Seaman And Sindbad The Lands change the view of the nature of his character to listeners?
9. In this tale of Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves, Shahrazad presents a servant girl as the hero. What may be the point of this story for Shahrazad in light of the king's attitude towards women?
10. What is the relationship between the Allah and the Caliph in regards to which has the most power in Khalifah The Fisherman of Baghdad?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)