|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abu treat the strangers he entertains after the first visit in The Sleeper And The Waker?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He invites them back only after one year.
(c) He pretends he is related to them.
(d) He slanders them.
2. Why does Ma'aruf have to go to the Kazi in Ma'aruf The Cobbler And His Wife Fatimah?
(a) Fatimah is in jail.
(b) Fatimah has complained about him.
(c) The neighbors have lodged a complaint against Fatimah.
(d) He has stolen three golden apples.
3. What kind of fish is the first one Khalifah catches in Khalifah The Fisherman of Baghdad?
(a) A herring.
(b) A stingray.
(c) A bottle fish.
(d) A catfish.
4. After he stops him, what does the man in rags tell the king in the story The Angel of Death With The Proud King And The Devout Man?
(a) That he is a monkey trapped in a man's body.
(b) That he is the Angel of Death.
(c) That he is the angel of Good Fortune.
(d) That he is an angel trapped in a man's body.
5. What does the king do when confronted by the man in rags in the story The Angel of Death With The Proud King And The Devout Man?
(a) He falls dead off his horse.
(b) He curses the man.
(c) He orders the man killed.
(d) He laughs and goes on his way.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the thieves say to open the door of the cave in Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves?
2. In the story of How Abu Hasan Broke Wind, what is the great celebration Abu Hasan is throwing?
3. Why does Fatimah plot to steal the magic ring?
4. How many Dirams does Sindbad The Seaman have left after squandering most of his money in Sindbad The Seaman And Sindbad The Landsman?
5. In the story of The Lady And Her Five Suitors, the woman falls in love with the son of a ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways in Judar And His Brethren does Shahrazad personify evil throughout her story?
2. In Judar And His Brethren, how does Judar portray his greed?
3. In what way could this be a sort of cautionary tale from Shahrazad to the king in The Lady And Her Five Suitors?
4. How is the ending of this story from The Ebony Horse a very direct and personally-related implication to the king from Shahrazad?
5. What is the relationship between the Allah and the Caliph in regards to which has the most power in Khalifah The Fisherman of Baghdad?
6. How does the constant questioning of Sindbad the Seaman's identity throughout Sindbad The Seaman And Sindbad The Lands change the view of the nature of his character to listeners?
7. In The Ebony Horse, the brother Kamar rescues his younger sister from marriage to an ugly old Persian bearing a gift. In the process of helping his sister, Kamar also finds love, so his kindness is rewarded. What is to be learned from this part of the story?
8. Consider the saying, "The clothes maketh the man." How is this proven in Alaedddin: Or, The Wonderful Lamp?
9. What character trait(s) of the men in the story Julnar The Sea-Born And Her Son King Badr Basim of Persia allow(s) them to be ensnared by Queen Lab?
10. What does Shahrazad reinforce to her king through The Sleeper And The Waker?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)