|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sandal in Khalifah The Fisherman of Baghdad?
(a) A eunuch.
(b) A witch.
(c) A spirit.
(d) A Jinni.
2. What is the maiden's name in the Story Julnar, The Sea-Born And Her Son King Badr Basim of Persia?
3. How does Abu treat the strangers he entertains after the first visit in The Sleeper And The Waker?
(a) He ignores them.
(b) He slanders them.
(c) He invites them back only after one year.
(d) He pretends he is related to them.
4. What does King Sabur release the Persian from in the story of The Ebony Horse?
(a) An underwater cave.
(b) A curse.
(d) A tower.
5. Towards the end, the lamp Jinni reveals that the necromancer is posing as what character in Alaeddin: Or, The Wonderful Lamp?
(a) The Sultan.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story of The Lady And Her Five Suitors, to whom does the woman appeal when her lover is put in jail?
2. Why does Ma'aruf have to go to the Kazi in Ma'aruf The Cobbler And His Wife Fatimah?
3. In the story of How Abu Hasan Broke Wind, what is the great celebration Abu Hasan is throwing?
4. After he stops him, what does the man in rags tell the king in the story The Angel of Death With The Proud King And The Devout Man?
5. After the two brothers' rule and they have died, there is a period of _______ until a wise ruler discovers the book in the treasury.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is justice served through the story of Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves?
2. In The Angel of Death With The Proud King And The Devout Man is described a wealthy man and a poor one. What are the fundamental differences in the reasons for why each man personally lived his life?
3. In the tale of Ma'aruf The Cobbler And His Wife Fatimah, Shahrazad demonstrates the difference between a good wife and a wicked one. How could this relate to Shahrazad's goals in the long run between herself and the king?
4. How does the constant questioning of Sindbad the Seaman's identity throughout Sindbad The Seaman And Sindbad The Lands change the view of the nature of his character to listeners?
5. In this tale of Ali Baba And The Forty Thieves, Shahrazad presents a servant girl as the hero. What may be the point of this story for Shahrazad in light of the king's attitude towards women?
6. What goal in Alaedddin: Or, The Wonderful Lamp may Shahrazad been trying to achieve through this story to the king?
7. In The Ebony Horse, the brother Kamar rescues his younger sister from marriage to an ugly old Persian bearing a gift. In the process of helping his sister, Kamar also finds love, so his kindness is rewarded. What is to be learned from this part of the story?
8. What does Shahrazad reinforce to her king through The Sleeper And The Waker?
9. Why might it be in Shahrazad's interests to decide to tell this story to the king in The City of Brass?
10. In Judar And His Brethren, how does Judar portray his greed?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)