|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Tale of Kamar Al-Zaman, what does Kamar chase for ten days?
(a) A jinni.
(b) A bird.
(c) An antelope.
(d) An ifrita.
2. What does the lion cub demand of the carpenter?
(a) To take him along.
(b) To kill the duck.
(c) To build him a box.
(d) To build him a bridge.
3. What does the Kurd do when he sees Ali with what he is holding?
(a) Claims it is his.
(b) Claims that Ali is his brother.
(c) Drops to his knees praying.
(d) Drops to his knees crying.
4. In The Tale of the Portress in Chapter 3, what is the title of the third sister?
(a) The procuratrix.
(b) The Caliph.
(d) The Portress.
5. In Chapter 1, 'The Fisherman and the Jinni', what does NOT turn up in the fisherman's first three casts?
(a) Broken pottery.
(b) A gold necklace.
(c) A donkey.
(d) A pitcher of sand.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the consequence of the ruined man falling asleep where he does?
2. What does the ruined man find after digging in his backyard?
3. What does Abdullah, Son of Abi Kalibah, find while in search?
4. At the end of the story of The Three Apples, what tale does Ja'afar refer to?
5. During a pilgrimage to Mecca in the story of The Sweep and The Noble Lady, pilgrims overhear a man praying for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Shahrazad teach the king through The Sweep and The Noble Lady?
2. What kind of moral is offered in the story in The Man Who Stole The Dish of Gold Wherein The Dog Ate?
3. What might Shahrazad be suggesting through her tale to the king in The Hermits?
4. What kind of a character is the hermit in The Hermits?
5. In the opening chapter of The Story of King Shahryar And His Brother, Shahrazad is spared eligibility for beheading because she is one of the Wazir's daughters. Is her request to marry the king an act of fate/Allah's power, or rather an a human aspect of her personality?
6. What is the purpose of Shahrazad telling this story In Hatim Of the Tribe of Tayy to the King?
7. What are the fundamental differences in value systems between the duck and the three other animals; peahen, peacock and antelope metioned in The Tale of The Birds And The Beasts And The Carpenter?
8. In The Story of King Shahryar and His Brother, the tale within a tale about the fisherman and the Jinni demonstrates the power of what kind of belief system?
9. In the story of Nur Al-Din Ali And His Son Al-Din Hasan, how does Shahrazad continue to work towards her goal of convincing King Shahhryar to change his beliefs about women?
10. What is the purpose of Shahrazad deciding to tell this seemingly innocuous story to the king in Ali The Persian?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)