|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nomad riding on when he meets Ma'an?
(a) A donkey.
(b) An elephant.
(c) A horse.
(d) A camel.
2. At the end of the story of The Three Apples, what tale does Ja'afar refer to?
(a) The tale of the 3 birds.
(b) The tale of the Jinni's wife.
(c) The tale of Nur al-Din Ali.
(d) The tale of Kalyandi al-Din.
3. Who sends the angel?
(b) A demon.
(c) A jinni.
(d) An ocean spirit.
4. In The Tale of the Three Apples, what did the woman's husband bring her when she was ill?
(a) Five apples.
(b) A slave.
(c) Three apples.
(d) Ten apples.
5. In The Tale of Kamar Al-Zaman, what does Kamar chase for ten days?
(a) A jinni.
(b) An ifrita.
(c) A bird.
(d) An antelope.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Tale of the Portress in Chapter 3, what is the title of the third sister?
2. What is the main struggle of the man who stole the gold dog bowl?
3. Where does the ruined man who became rich again fall asleep after his travels?
4. In the story of Hatim of the Tribe of Tayy, why did the King of Himyar camp near Hatim's tomb?
5. In The Tale of the Three Apples, who does the Caliph decree responsible for the woman's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of what symbolic use were the tokens (signet rings) to the two lovestruck characters in The Tale of Kamar Al-Zaman?
2. What is one moral implied by Shahrazad in the Tale of Ghanim in Ayyub, The Distraught, The Thrall O'Love?
3. In the story of Nur Al-Din Ali And His Son Al-Din Hasan, how does Shahrazad continue to work towards her goal of convincing King Shahhryar to change his beliefs about women?
4. In The Tale of Ma'an Son of Zaidah and The Badawi, how does the Emir reward loyalty?
5. What might Shahrazad be suggesting through her tale to the king in The Hermits?
6. What kind of a character is the hermit in The Hermits?
7. What does Shahrazad teach the king through The Sweep and The Noble Lady?
8. Describe the character of the man burdened with debts in The Man Who Stole The Dish of Gold Wherein The Dog Ate.
9. How in the Tale of Ghanim in Ayyub, The Distraught, The Thrall O'Love does Shahrazad strive to replace King Shahryar's distrust of women with doubt over his belief?
10. What qualities does the Caliph show through his actions towards the sisters and princes in the Porter and The Three Ladies of Baghdad?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)