|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Ensorcelled Prince's wicked wife build the tomb for the crippled slave?
(a) In a cave.
(b) In the desert.
(c) Under a cupola.
(d) On top of a mountain.
2. What is sent to the hermit after the angel?
(a) A rich man.
(b) A servant.
(c) A wife.
(d) A priest.
3. To whom does Abdullah first report this newfound news?
(a) King Shaddad.
(b) His wife.
(c) The Caliph.
(d) The Wazir.
4. How does the Caliph respond to the story of Ali The Persian?
(a) With anger.
(b) With confusion and request for more information.
(c) With laughter and appreciation.
(d) By sending him away.
5. What does Abdullah, Son of Abi Kalibah, set off to find?
(a) His lost she-camel.
(b) His lost horse.
(c) His stolen ring.
(d) His runaway servant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kamar says that marriage would be the 'cup of death' because......?
2. How many sons does the Wazir of Cairo have?
3. What does the lion cub demand of the carpenter?
4. How much money does the Emir end up paying for the Badawi's cucumbers after all bargaining is completed?
5. If the tale impresses the Caliph, what does he promise to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What humorous fact is revealed in regards to the two men fighting for the bag in Ali The Persian?
2. How in the Tale of Ghanim in Ayyub, The Distraught, The Thrall O'Love does Shahrazad strive to replace King Shahryar's distrust of women with doubt over his belief?
3. What does Shahrazad teach the king through The Sweep and The Noble Lady?
4. What is the purpose of Shahrazad telling this story In Hatim Of the Tribe of Tayy to the King?
5. What are the fundamental differences in value systems between the duck and the three other animals; peahen, peacock and antelope metioned in The Tale of The Birds And The Beasts And The Carpenter?
6. How is Shahrazad able to hint at the king's faults through this story of The City of Many-Columned Iram and Abdullah Son of Abi Kalibah indirectly?
7. In the story of The Ruined Man Who Became Rich Again Through A Dream, Shahrazad reminds King Shahryar that a life lived in faith is rewarding. Why is this an important reminder from Shahrazad to the king?
8. Correlate the experience of visiting the Caliph for help/direction in the Porter and The Three Ladies of Baghdad to visiting another person of power for help in the present day.
9. What kind of a character is the hermit in The Hermits?
10. In Hatim Of the Tribe of Tayy, how does this story blur the lines between the living and the dead?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)