|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which leaflet was penned by Eck?
2. Humanists began to uncover ____ in the church.
3. In which year was the English King born?
4. Luther was accused of _____.
5. Leo served as the head of which notable family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
2. What issues faced explorers at this time?
3. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
4. Examine Pope Leo's take on the Reformation.
5. How did the Vatican respond to the selling of indulgences?
6. Who were among Luther's most avid supporters?
7. How did the new geography affect the Church? How was Magellan related to this issue?
8. How did the Catholic Church raise money shortly before the start of the Reformation?
9. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
10. What mistake was made regarding Luther's beliefs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Church sold indulgences in order to make money. What were indulgences? Were they enforceable? Who was in charge of these sales? Who collected the money? Who was the first to challenge this concept? What happened to the Church's money making scheme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Luther's trial at the Diet of Worms. Who was present? What were the charges? What was the outcome of the trial? Who was the victor? What happened to Luther after the trial? What restrictions were placed on Luther as a result of his conduct?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tetzel's challenge to Luther. What was the challenge? Why did Tetzel make the challenge? Why was Tetzel sure he would win? What was Luther's reaction? What was the reaction of the people? Who won the battle?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)