|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religion was Magellan?
2. How many ships did Magellan command?
3. The Germans had been martyred for ________.
4. The English King _____ VIII remained the most loved sovereign in Rome.
5. Magellan's supporters were based in which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
2. How did the Vatican respond to the selling of indulgences?
3. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
4. Who were among Luther's most avid supporters?
5. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
6. Pope Leo was not focused on the Reformation but rather chose to focus on war. What were Leo's plans?
7. Discuss Luther's two main works at this time.
8. What issues faced explorers at this time?
9. What was the papal response to Luther's declarations? Who was involved?
10. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast del Cano and Magellan. Who was the most experienced? Which was the better sailor? Which made the most contributions to the voyage?
Essay Topic 2
Juan Sebastian del Cano was a captain of the Victoria in Magellan's armada. Discuss del Cano. What were his qualifications? What was his relationship to Magellan? How was del Cano received in Spain? What was his main contribution to the voyage?
Essay Topic 3
English King Henry VIII is known for his separation from the Church after being excommunicated by the pope. Discuss the rise and fall of Henry VIII, his relationship with Rome and the pope, and his downfall. Examine how Henry handled these issues and the laws that were put into place during the Reformation. Examine Henry's inspiration and the outcome of the separation.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)