|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederick ____ the Wise was the elector of Saxony.
2. Luther was thought to use the language of a ____.
3. It was said that Luther made ____ major blunders.
4. In which year was Luther tried?
5. Early explorers are referred to as being ____ and careful.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
2. Give an example of some of the currents of thought that took place during this time.
3. How did the Vatican respond to the selling of indulgences?
4. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
5. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
6. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
7. What was the papal response to Luther's declarations? Who was involved?
8. Discuss Luther's two main works at this time.
9. What was Henry's downfall in the church?
10. What was the outcome of Luther's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at length Magellan's conversion of the Filipino natives. Why was Magellan so set on converting and baptizing the people? Did the people convert willingly? What might have prompted them to do so? What kinds of ceremonies were held on the islands? Who performed the ceremonies? How did the natives respond to Magellan's teachings? Why was it necessary, in Magellan's mind, to stay and ensure that the natives would not revert? Did any natives convert to their old ways? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
Essay Topic 3
English King Henry VIII is known for his separation from the Church after being excommunicated by the pope. Discuss the rise and fall of Henry VIII, his relationship with Rome and the pope, and his downfall. Examine how Henry handled these issues and the laws that were put into place during the Reformation. Examine Henry's inspiration and the outcome of the separation.
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)