|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederick ____ the Wise was the elector of Saxony.
2. The King had trained to become a _____.
3. It was said that Luther made ____ major blunders.
4. Which pope was relatively uninformed about the Reformation?
5. Luther was taken to ____ Castle.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
2. Pope Leo was not focused on the Reformation but rather chose to focus on war. What were Leo's plans?
3. Examine Luther's stand in Wittenberg.
4. Examine Pope Leo's take on the Reformation.
5. How did Frederick the Wise respond to the sale of indulgences?
6. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
7. What was Henry's downfall in the church?
8. Give an example of some of the currents of thought that took place during this time.
9. Who were among Luther's most avid supporters?
10. What were some of the issues that were facing the medieval world as Magellan set out to sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Ferdinand Magellan. Be sure to include his past, history and experience as a soldier and seaman, actions taken to arrange and fund the voyage. Also include his aspirations. Cite sources where necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Manchester's explanation of medieval times. What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the time outside issues involving the church? List at least ten things that are representative of medieval times. Cite sources.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Manchester's explanation of the Dark Ages. Why does the author insist on keeping the name? What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the Dark Ages? List at least three things that made the Dark Ages a difficult time for the average person.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)