|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Portuguese discovered a trade route to ____.
2. In which year was the English King born?
3. Humanists preached enrichment of ____.
4. In which year was Resolutiones published?
5. True believers in the movement began to create a distinction between secular writers and _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Pope Leo was not focused on the Reformation but rather chose to focus on war. What were Leo's plans?
2. What issues faced explorers at this time?
3. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
4. Examine Pope Leo's take on the Reformation.
5. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
6. Give an example of some of the currents of thought that took place during this time.
7. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
8. What was Luther's discovery regarding literacy?
9. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
10. Discuss Luther's two main works at this time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Luther and Erasmus. What did the men have in common? Why was their "partnership" unusual? Who was the strongest of the two? Whose work stood out the most? Which made the most contributions to the Reformation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Luther's trial at the Diet of Worms. Who was present? What were the charges? What was the outcome of the trial? Who was the victor? What happened to Luther after the trial? What restrictions were placed on Luther as a result of his conduct?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that might have been written by Magellan if he had returned home rather than moving forward to the Spice Islands. Additionally, write a similar essay from Magellan's point of view if he had left the Philippines when he was urged by his crew rather than staying to ensure the conversion.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)