|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It was said that Luther made ____ major blunders.
2. What was Magellan's home country?
3. Where was Hoogstraten from?
4. Magellan's supporters were based in which city?
5. The German economy was targeted by the ____ imperialists.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
2. How did the Catholic Church raise money shortly before the start of the Reformation?
3. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
4. Luther was not arrested during his appeal. What court proceeding soon followed?
5. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
6. Discuss Luther's two main works at this time.
7. Examine Luther's stand in Wittenberg.
8. What was Henry's downfall in the church?
9. What was the papal response to Luther's declarations? Who was involved?
10. How did the Vatican respond to the selling of indulgences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Church sold indulgences in order to make money. What were indulgences? Were they enforceable? Who was in charge of these sales? Who collected the money? Who was the first to challenge this concept? What happened to the Church's money making scheme?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how the Huns, Mongols and Saxons were a large part of the Dark Ages. How did they transcend into the medieval period and beyond?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tetzel's challenge to Luther. What was the challenge? Why did Tetzel make the challenge? Why was Tetzel sure he would win? What was Luther's reaction? What was the reaction of the people? Who won the battle?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)