|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Humanists began to uncover ____ in the church.
2. People began to focus on rediscovering Latin and ___ classics.
3. Frederick ____ the Wise was the elector of Saxony.
4. What movement was about to begin?
5. Humanism, by definition, promoted the downfall of ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
2. Give an example of some of the currents of thought that took place during this time.
3. Examine Pope Leo's take on the Reformation.
4. Discuss Luther's two main works at this time.
5. What was the outcome of Luther's trial?
6. How did Frederick the Wise respond to the sale of indulgences?
7. Luther was not arrested during his appeal. What court proceeding soon followed?
8. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
9. How did the Catholic Church raise money shortly before the start of the Reformation?
10. Who were among Luther's most avid supporters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Manchester's explanation of the Dark Ages. Why does the author insist on keeping the name? What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the Dark Ages? List at least three things that made the Dark Ages a difficult time for the average person.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the artists and artistic accomplishments listed in the book. Who were the most influential artists of the time? Were they celebrated because of talent or political connections? Why were the elite so eager to support the arts? What type of art came to the forefront in the Renaissance? How did the artistic movement affect all art to follow? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tetzel's challenge to Luther. What was the challenge? Why did Tetzel make the challenge? Why was Tetzel sure he would win? What was Luther's reaction? What was the reaction of the people? Who won the battle?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)