|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed this way of thinking?
2. Many of the ____ could not read Latin.
3. Henry was incensed because the pope would not grant a(n) ____.
4. How many copies of the leaflet were distributed?
5. Who painted the Sistine Chapel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Henry's downfall in the church?
2. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
3. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
4. What were some of the issues that were facing the medieval world as Magellan set out to sea?
5. What issues faced explorers at this time?
6. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
7. What was Luther's discovery regarding literacy?
8. Give an example of some of the currents of thought that took place during this time.
9. How did the new geography affect the Church? How was Magellan related to this issue?
10. Examine Luther's stand in Wittenberg.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Magellan. Why is Manchester so fascinated with Magellan? Do you believe the fascination is worthwhile or misplaced? What was Magellan's crowning achievement? What did the voyage prove? What acts did Magellan perform during his career as an explorer that are noteworthy? Be as specific as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Manchester's explanation of the Dark Ages. Why does the author insist on keeping the name? What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the Dark Ages? List at least three things that made the Dark Ages a difficult time for the average person.
Essay Topic 3
Juan Sebastian del Cano was a captain of the Victoria in Magellan's armada. Discuss del Cano. What were his qualifications? What was his relationship to Magellan? How was del Cano received in Spain? What was his main contribution to the voyage?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)