|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many copies of the leaflet were distributed?
2. People began to focus on rediscovering Latin and ___ classics.
3. Luther was thought to use the language of a ____.
4. It was said that Luther made ____ major blunders.
5. ____ told Luther that his plea to be heard was one always used by heretics.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
2. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
3. What mistake was made regarding Luther's beliefs?
4. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
5. What was the papal response to Luther's declarations? Who was involved?
6. Luther was not arrested during his appeal. What court proceeding soon followed?
7. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
8. What was Henry's downfall in the church?
9. What was Luther's discovery regarding literacy?
10. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Ferdinand Magellan. Be sure to include his past, history and experience as a soldier and seaman, actions taken to arrange and fund the voyage. Also include his aspirations. Cite sources where necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tetzel's challenge to Luther. What was the challenge? Why did Tetzel make the challenge? Why was Tetzel sure he would win? What was Luther's reaction? What was the reaction of the people? Who won the battle?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Luther's trial at the Diet of Worms. Who was present? What were the charges? What was the outcome of the trial? Who was the victor? What happened to Luther after the trial? What restrictions were placed on Luther as a result of his conduct?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)