|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Luther believed that to recant would be to violate his _____.
2. What changed this way of thinking?
3. What conflict had recently been settled?
4. Where was Hoogstraten from?
5. How long had Frederick ruled Saxony at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Frederick the Wise respond to the sale of indulgences?
2. How did the Catholic Church raise money shortly before the start of the Reformation?
3. What was Henry's downfall in the church?
4. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
5. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
6. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
7. What were some of the issues that were facing the medieval world as Magellan set out to sea?
8. Who were among Luther's most avid supporters?
9. What issues faced explorers at this time?
10. Luther was not arrested during his appeal. What court proceeding soon followed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at length Magellan's conversion of the Filipino natives. Why was Magellan so set on converting and baptizing the people? Did the people convert willingly? What might have prompted them to do so? What kinds of ceremonies were held on the islands? Who performed the ceremonies? How did the natives respond to Magellan's teachings? Why was it necessary, in Magellan's mind, to stay and ensure that the natives would not revert? Did any natives convert to their old ways? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how the Huns, Mongols and Saxons were a large part of the Dark Ages. How did they transcend into the medieval period and beyond?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Ferdinand Magellan. Be sure to include his past, history and experience as a soldier and seaman, actions taken to arrange and fund the voyage. Also include his aspirations. Cite sources where necessary.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)