|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movement was about to begin?
2. Leaflets appealed to German _____.
3. Henry's likeness appeared on ____.
4. The German economy was targeted by the ____ imperialists.
5. Who received holy sacraments to become the Holy Emperor in 1520?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
2. What was Luther's discovery regarding literacy?
3. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
4. Examine Luther's stand in Wittenberg.
5. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
6. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
7. How did the new geography affect the Church? How was Magellan related to this issue?
8. What issues faced explorers at this time?
9. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
10. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
Essay Topic 2
Juan Sebastian del Cano was a captain of the Victoria in Magellan's armada. Discuss del Cano. What were his qualifications? What was his relationship to Magellan? How was del Cano received in Spain? What was his main contribution to the voyage?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Magellan. Why is Manchester so fascinated with Magellan? Do you believe the fascination is worthwhile or misplaced? What was Magellan's crowning achievement? What did the voyage prove? What acts did Magellan perform during his career as an explorer that are noteworthy? Be as specific as possible.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)