|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frederick ____ the Wise was the elector of Saxony.
2. The English King _____ VIII remained the most loved sovereign in Rome.
3. To whom was Henry married at this time?
4. Which leaflet was penned by Eck?
5. Luther was eventually tried before the ______ of Worms.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
2. What was the outcome of Luther's trial?
3. Discuss Luther's two main works at this time.
4. What was Henry's downfall in the church?
5. Examine Pope Leo's take on the Reformation.
6. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
7. Who were among Luther's most avid supporters?
8. Pope Leo was not focused on the Reformation but rather chose to focus on war. What were Leo's plans?
9. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
10. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Ferdinand Magellan. Be sure to include his past, history and experience as a soldier and seaman, actions taken to arrange and fund the voyage. Also include his aspirations. Cite sources where necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Manchester discusses the contributions and pitfalls of each pope. Compare and contrast at least four of the popes mentioned, preferably ones closest to the Reformation.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Luther and Erasmus. What did the men have in common? Why was their "partnership" unusual? Who was the strongest of the two? Whose work stood out the most? Which made the most contributions to the Reformation?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)