|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry's likeness appeared on ____.
2. Resolutiones denied the supremacy of the ____.
3. Many of the ____ could not read Latin.
4. In which year was Resolutiones published?
5. How many ships did Magellan command?
Short Essay Questions
1. What mistake was made regarding Luther's beliefs?
2. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
3. Examine Luther's stand in Wittenberg.
4. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
5. Luther was not arrested during his appeal. What court proceeding soon followed?
6. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
7. How did the Vatican respond to the selling of indulgences?
8. What were some of the issues that were facing the medieval world as Magellan set out to sea?
9. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
10. Pope Leo was not focused on the Reformation but rather chose to focus on war. What were Leo's plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast del Cano and Magellan. Who was the most experienced? Which was the better sailor? Which made the most contributions to the voyage?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Magellan. What types of things would Magellan be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Magellan have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with the natives? How might Magellan describe how he felt before, during and his journey?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)