|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Portuguese discovered a trade route to ____.
2. Early explorers are referred to as being ____ and careful.
3. Which pope was relatively uninformed about the Reformation?
4. True believers in the movement began to create a distinction between secular writers and _____.
5. Henry married ____ in 1534.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the new geography affect the Church? How was Magellan related to this issue?
2. Who were among Luther's most avid supporters?
3. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
4. What was the papal response to Luther's declarations? Who was involved?
5. What events occurred due to Pope Clement's lack of ability as a politician?
6. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
7. Examine Luther's stand in Wittenberg.
8. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
9. What mistake was made regarding Luther's beliefs?
10. How did the Vatican respond to the selling of indulgences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Manchester's view of the Renaissance and Reformation. Do you feel that Manchester presented a complete picture? Do you feel that the information was objective? Explain. What areas of the history of the Renaissance and Reformation are most interesting to you? How do you think your life has been affected by these events? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Manchester's explanation of the Dark Ages. Why does the author insist on keeping the name? What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the Dark Ages? List at least three things that made the Dark Ages a difficult time for the average person.
Essay Topic 3
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)