|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the Armada?
2. Which of the following supposedly affected customary religion?
3. In which year was Resolutiones published?
4. Henry was incensed because the pope would not grant a(n) ____.
5. To whom was Henry married at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
2. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
3. Examine Pope Leo's take on the Reformation.
4. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
5. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
6. What was the papal response to Luther's declarations? Who was involved?
7. Discuss Luther's two main works at this time.
8. Luther was not arrested during his appeal. What court proceeding soon followed?
9. What was Henry's downfall in the church?
10. What was Luther's discovery regarding literacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Manchester's explanation of the Dark Ages. Why does the author insist on keeping the name? What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the Dark Ages? List at least three things that made the Dark Ages a difficult time for the average person.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Luther and Erasmus. What did the men have in common? Why was their "partnership" unusual? Who was the strongest of the two? Whose work stood out the most? Which made the most contributions to the Reformation?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Magellan. Why is Manchester so fascinated with Magellan? Do you believe the fascination is worthwhile or misplaced? What was Magellan's crowning achievement? What did the voyage prove? What acts did Magellan perform during his career as an explorer that are noteworthy? Be as specific as possible.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)