|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The King had trained to become a _____.
2. In which year was Luther tried?
3. The voyage was referred to as an "epic of ____."
4. _____ told Aleandro that Luther's arrest was unjustified.
5. ____ told Luther that his plea to be heard was one always used by heretics.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Luther's discovery regarding literacy?
2. Give an example of some of the currents of thought that took place during this time.
3. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
4. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
5. Pope Leo was not focused on the Reformation but rather chose to focus on war. What were Leo's plans?
6. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
7. What issues faced explorers at this time?
8. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
9. How did the new geography affect the Church? How was Magellan related to this issue?
10. How did Frederick the Wise respond to the sale of indulgences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at length Magellan's conversion of the Filipino natives. Why was Magellan so set on converting and baptizing the people? Did the people convert willingly? What might have prompted them to do so? What kinds of ceremonies were held on the islands? Who performed the ceremonies? How did the natives respond to Magellan's teachings? Why was it necessary, in Magellan's mind, to stay and ensure that the natives would not revert? Did any natives convert to their old ways? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast del Cano and Magellan. Who was the most experienced? Which was the better sailor? Which made the most contributions to the voyage?
Essay Topic 3
The Church sold indulgences in order to make money. What were indulgences? Were they enforceable? Who was in charge of these sales? Who collected the money? Who was the first to challenge this concept? What happened to the Church's money making scheme?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)