|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was King James III when he died?
2. In which year did the patent come into vogue?
3. In which century was the manufacture of paper introduced?
4. Which popes were known for their immorality?
5. Who is referred to as being the mightiest explorer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine how the church conflicted with the monarchy.
2. Examine the corruption of the papacy at this time.
3. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
4. Today the papacy is a lifelong position. This was not the case during the medieval period. What kind of life did a pope live after leaving the Vatican?
5. What contribution did Gutenberg make to the promotion of literature?
6. What is humanism?
7. How did the arts flourish during this time?
8. According to the author, what part did Saint Augustine play in the church?
9. How did the lack of morality affect the institution of marriage?
10. What does Manchester say about the term "Dark Ages?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Juan Sebastian del Cano was a captain of the Victoria in Magellan's armada. Discuss del Cano. What were his qualifications? What was his relationship to Magellan? How was del Cano received in Spain? What was his main contribution to the voyage?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the artists and artistic accomplishments listed in the book. Who were the most influential artists of the time? Were they celebrated because of talent or political connections? Why were the elite so eager to support the arts? What type of art came to the forefront in the Renaissance? How did the artistic movement affect all art to follow? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Medici family. Which popes were linked to the Medicis? Why was the family so powerful? How did they become so wealthy and powerful? How did their influence affect the church? How did their influence affect commerce and growth throughout the Renaissance?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)