|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hercynian Forest was known to be filled with all but which of the following?
2. Records show that only ____ out of 100 murderers was ever brought to justice.
3. One of the pope's feasts was known as the Ballet of the ____.
4. What does "dolce" mean?
5. This brother reached which position in the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is humanism?
2. Discuss the overview of Part I, "The Medieval Mind."
3. How did the public react to the invention of the printing press?
4. Examine the corruption of the papacy at this time.
5. How did the arts flourish during this time?
6. What does Manchester say about the term "Dark Ages?"
7. Discuss Magellan's achievements as an explorer. How was he honored?
8. Who was Erasmus?
9. How was the money given by tithing members of the church most often used?
10. How did the introduction of new universities affect the population?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Ferdinand Magellan. Be sure to include his past, history and experience as a soldier and seaman, actions taken to arrange and fund the voyage. Also include his aspirations. Cite sources where necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tetzel's challenge to Luther. What was the challenge? Why did Tetzel make the challenge? Why was Tetzel sure he would win? What was Luther's reaction? What was the reaction of the people? Who won the battle?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Manchester's explanation of medieval times. What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the time outside issues involving the church? List at least ten things that are representative of medieval times. Cite sources.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)