|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first Holy Roman Emperor?
2. What does "dolce" mean?
3. How old was the newest mistress?
4. The group came from which region?
5. Who was the emperor at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contribution did Gutenberg make to the promotion of literature?
2. How did the lack of morality affect the institution of marriage?
3. How was the Renaissance often romanticized?
4. How was the money given by tithing members of the church most often used?
5. Who was Erasmus?
6. What is the basic history of printing?
7. Today the papacy is a lifelong position. This was not the case during the medieval period. What kind of life did a pope live after leaving the Vatican?
8. How did the introduction of new universities affect the population?
9. How did a new sense of piety affect the populous?
10. Examine travel during the Renaissance period.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at length Magellan's conversion of the Filipino natives. Why was Magellan so set on converting and baptizing the people? Did the people convert willingly? What might have prompted them to do so? What kinds of ceremonies were held on the islands? Who performed the ceremonies? How did the natives respond to Magellan's teachings? Why was it necessary, in Magellan's mind, to stay and ensure that the natives would not revert? Did any natives convert to their old ways? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tetzel's challenge to Luther. What was the challenge? Why did Tetzel make the challenge? Why was Tetzel sure he would win? What was Luther's reaction? What was the reaction of the people? Who won the battle?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Magellan. What types of things would Magellan be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Magellan have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with the natives? How might Magellan describe how he felt before, during and his journey?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)