|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which year was the rifle invented?
2. The pope awarded men for their _____.
3. What is the estimated illiteracy rate among women at this time?
4. What was the percentage of illiteracy among the clergy?
5. Who was the emperor at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine the new social civility that came to the forefront.
2. What is the basic history of printing?
3. Examine travel during the Renaissance period.
4. Who was Erasmus?
5. According to the author, what part did Saint Augustine play in the church?
6. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
7. Discuss the average person's life.
8. Examine how the church conflicted with the monarchy.
9. Discuss the legacy of Pope Alexander's children.
10. How did Christianity attempt to infiltrate other religions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
English King Henry VIII is known for his separation from the Church after being excommunicated by the pope. Discuss the rise and fall of Henry VIII, his relationship with Rome and the pope, and his downfall. Examine how Henry handled these issues and the laws that were put into place during the Reformation. Examine Henry's inspiration and the outcome of the separation.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast del Cano and Magellan. Who was the most experienced? Which was the better sailor? Which made the most contributions to the voyage?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Magellan. Why is Manchester so fascinated with Magellan? Do you believe the fascination is worthwhile or misplaced? What was Magellan's crowning achievement? What did the voyage prove? What acts did Magellan perform during his career as an explorer that are noteworthy? Be as specific as possible.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)