|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which pope was known for throwing wild parties?
2. Among the lost arts was ____.
3. Where did this explorer die?
4. Which of the following was a common way to earn a living?
5. Who said "God has given us the papacy?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the Renaissance often romanticized?
2. According to the author, what part did Saint Augustine play in the church?
3. Today the papacy is a lifelong position. This was not the case during the medieval period. What kind of life did a pope live after leaving the Vatican?
4. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
5. How did Christianity attempt to infiltrate other religions?
6. Discuss the overview of Part I, "The Medieval Mind."
7. Examine travel during the Renaissance period.
8. Examine the behavior of the notorious Borgia popes.
9. What is the basic history of printing?
10. Examine how some of the popes used their office as a front for less than ethical actions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Magellan. What types of things would Magellan be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Magellan have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with the natives? How might Magellan describe how he felt before, during and his journey?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Luther and Erasmus. What did the men have in common? Why was their "partnership" unusual? Who was the strongest of the two? Whose work stood out the most? Which made the most contributions to the Reformation?
Essay Topic 3
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)