|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While literacy became increasingly important, the educational system tended to be ______.
2. In which year was the rifle invented?
3. Which word is used to describe the Goths, Saxons, Huns and Franks?
4. Which was not a part of the trivium?
5. In which year were the heirs to the English throne murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
2. How did the introduction of new universities affect the population?
3. How was the Renaissance often romanticized?
4. What is humanism?
5. Discuss the legacy of Pope Alexander's children.
6. Who was Erasmus?
7. Examine a medieval person's sense of self.
8. Examine how some of the popes used their office as a front for less than ethical actions.
9. Today the papacy is a lifelong position. This was not the case during the medieval period. What kind of life did a pope live after leaving the Vatican?
10. Discuss the Roman Inquisition. Who headed the charge? Who was persecuted? How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast del Cano and Magellan. Who was the most experienced? Which was the better sailor? Which made the most contributions to the voyage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tetzel's challenge to Luther. What was the challenge? Why did Tetzel make the challenge? Why was Tetzel sure he would win? What was Luther's reaction? What was the reaction of the people? Who won the battle?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Manchester's explanation of the Dark Ages. Why does the author insist on keeping the name? What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the Dark Ages? List at least three things that made the Dark Ages a difficult time for the average person.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)