|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The basic model of this idea was created in which year?
2. The Portuguese had been in the islands ___ years previous.
3. In which year did the patent come into vogue?
4. Who said "God has given us the papacy?"
5. Records show that only ____ out of 100 murderers was ever brought to justice.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the introduction of new universities affect the population?
2. Examine how the church conflicted with the monarchy.
3. What is the basic history of printing?
4. How was the money given by tithing members of the church most often used?
5. Discuss the overview of Part I, "The Medieval Mind."
6. What types of events took place during the Dark Ages? What was the standard of living?
7. What contribution did Gutenberg make to the promotion of literature?
8. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
9. Examine travel during the Renaissance period.
10. How did the public react to the invention of the printing press?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Magellan. What types of things would Magellan be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Magellan have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with the natives? How might Magellan describe how he felt before, during and his journey?
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast del Cano and Magellan. Who was the most experienced? Which was the better sailor? Which made the most contributions to the voyage?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)