|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the pope's son-in-law?
2. In which year were the heirs to the English throne murdered?
3. While literacy became increasingly important, the educational system tended to be ______.
4. What is the estimated illiteracy rate among women at this time?
5. Europe was populated by ___ million people.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the average person's life.
2. Discuss Magellan's achievements as an explorer. How was he honored?
3. Examine how the church conflicted with the monarchy.
4. What is humanism?
5. Examine the corruption of the papacy at this time.
6. According to the author, what part did Saint Augustine play in the church?
7. Discuss the legacy of Pope Alexander's children.
8. How was the Renaissance often romanticized?
9. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
10. How did Christianity attempt to infiltrate other religions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Church sold indulgences in order to make money. What were indulgences? Were they enforceable? Who was in charge of these sales? Who collected the money? Who was the first to challenge this concept? What happened to the Church's money making scheme?
Essay Topic 2
Juan Sebastian del Cano was a captain of the Victoria in Magellan's armada. Discuss del Cano. What were his qualifications? What was his relationship to Magellan? How was del Cano received in Spain? What was his main contribution to the voyage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Luther's trial at the Diet of Worms. Who was present? What were the charges? What was the outcome of the trial? Who was the victor? What happened to Luther after the trial? What restrictions were placed on Luther as a result of his conduct?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)