|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl who became legendary for exploiting her own beauty?
2. What was the name of the German gunsmith?
3. Ms. Borgia was fluent in all of the following languages except for:
4. Who said "God has given us the papacy?"
5. The horse's harness, collar and stirrup did not exist until about ____ A.D.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Erasmus?
2. Examine how the church conflicted with the monarchy.
3. How did the lack of morality affect the institution of marriage?
4. How did Christianity attempt to infiltrate other religions?
5. What contribution did Gutenberg make to the promotion of literature?
6. Examine the corruption of the papacy at this time.
7. Examine how some of the popes used their office as a front for less than ethical actions.
8. Discuss the average person's life.
9. How was the money given by tithing members of the church most often used?
10. Discuss Magellan's achievements as an explorer. How was he honored?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
English King Henry VIII is known for his separation from the Church after being excommunicated by the pope. Discuss the rise and fall of Henry VIII, his relationship with Rome and the pope, and his downfall. Examine how Henry handled these issues and the laws that were put into place during the Reformation. Examine Henry's inspiration and the outcome of the separation.
Essay Topic 2
Manchester discusses the contributions and pitfalls of each pope. Compare and contrast at least four of the popes mentioned, preferably ones closest to the Reformation.
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Ferdinand Magellan. Be sure to include his past, history and experience as a soldier and seaman, actions taken to arrange and fund the voyage. Also include his aspirations. Cite sources where necessary.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)