|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the more common name for the Hsiung-nu tribe?
2. The tribe was known for its expertise in which sport?
3. In which year was the rifle invented?
4. How many heirs were murdered?
5. In which year were the heirs to the English throne murdered?
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine how the church conflicted with the monarchy.
2. Examine travel during the Renaissance period.
3. Who was Erasmus?
4. How did the lack of morality affect the institution of marriage?
5. Discuss the legacy of Pope Alexander's children.
6. Discuss the overview of Part I, "The Medieval Mind."
7. Discuss the average person's life.
8. What is humanism?
9. What types of events took place during the Dark Ages? What was the standard of living?
10. How did the introduction of new universities affect the population?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Manchester's explanation of medieval times. What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the time outside issues involving the church? List at least ten things that are representative of medieval times. Cite sources.
Essay Topic 3
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Magellan. What types of things would Magellan be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Magellan have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with the natives? How might Magellan describe how he felt before, during and his journey?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)