|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many heirs were murdered?
2. How old was the newest mistress?
3. Who issues bills trying to repress the new invention?
4. In what year was the invention introduced?
5. What was the name of the young Borgia's replacement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the Roman Inquisition. Who headed the charge? Who was persecuted? How?
2. Examine the corruption of the papacy at this time.
3. Examine how some of the popes used their office as a front for less than ethical actions.
4. How did the public react to the invention of the printing press?
5. Discuss Magellan's achievements as an explorer. How was he honored?
6. Discuss the legacy of Pope Alexander's children.
7. What does Manchester say about the term "Dark Ages?"
8. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
9. According to the author, what part did Saint Augustine play in the church?
10. Examine the behavior of the notorious Borgia popes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Medici family. Which popes were linked to the Medicis? Why was the family so powerful? How did they become so wealthy and powerful? How did their influence affect the church? How did their influence affect commerce and growth throughout the Renaissance?
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography of Ferdinand Magellan. Be sure to include his past, history and experience as a soldier and seaman, actions taken to arrange and fund the voyage. Also include his aspirations. Cite sources where necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Examine how the Huns, Mongols and Saxons were a large part of the Dark Ages. How did they transcend into the medieval period and beyond?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)