|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the reigning leader of the country at that time?
2. Which group was not among those listed as pillaging the Roman Empire?
3. Which popes were known for their immorality?
4. In which year were the heirs to the English throne murdered?
5. The horse's harness, collar and stirrup did not exist until about ____ A.D.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine how the church conflicted with the monarchy.
2. Examine the behavior of the notorious Borgia popes.
3. Who was Erasmus?
4. Today the papacy is a lifelong position. This was not the case during the medieval period. What kind of life did a pope live after leaving the Vatican?
5. What is humanism?
6. How did the public react to the invention of the printing press?
7. What is the basic history of printing?
8. Give an example of some of the disagreements of the Christians and alternate religions.
9. What does Manchester say about the term "Dark Ages?"
10. What contribution did Gutenberg make to the promotion of literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine how the Huns, Mongols and Saxons were a large part of the Dark Ages. How did they transcend into the medieval period and beyond?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Luther's trial at the Diet of Worms. Who was present? What were the charges? What was the outcome of the trial? Who was the victor? What happened to Luther after the trial? What restrictions were placed on Luther as a result of his conduct?
Essay Topic 3
Manchester discusses the contributions and pitfalls of each pope. Compare and contrast at least four of the popes mentioned, preferably ones closest to the Reformation.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)