|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the reigning leader of the country at that time?
2. Which animal appeared on the Borgia flag?
3. What is the more common name for the Hsiung-nu tribe?
4. The "____ Man" theory discusses the change in culture by elites.
5. How old was King James III when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the arts flourish during this time?
2. Examine travel during the Renaissance period.
3. Discuss the Roman Inquisition. Who headed the charge? Who was persecuted? How?
4. Discuss the overview of Part I, "The Medieval Mind."
5. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
6. Examine how some of the popes used their office as a front for less than ethical actions.
7. Discuss Magellan's achievements as an explorer. How was he honored?
8. How was the money given by tithing members of the church most often used?
9. How did the introduction of new universities affect the population?
10. Examine a medieval person's sense of self.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Magellan. Why is Manchester so fascinated with Magellan? Do you believe the fascination is worthwhile or misplaced? What was Magellan's crowning achievement? What did the voyage prove? What acts did Magellan perform during his career as an explorer that are noteworthy? Be as specific as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Medici family. Which popes were linked to the Medicis? Why was the family so powerful? How did they become so wealthy and powerful? How did their influence affect the church? How did their influence affect commerce and growth throughout the Renaissance?
Essay Topic 3
Manchester discusses the contributions and pitfalls of each pope. Compare and contrast at least four of the popes mentioned, preferably ones closest to the Reformation.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)