|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which crime was common for this Borgia?
2. What was the name of Lucrezia's brother?
3. Two former speakers of the House of Parliament were beheaded over which issue?
4. The explorer was sponsored by which country?
5. While literacy became increasingly important, the educational system tended to be ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is humanism?
2. Examine a medieval person's sense of self.
3. Discuss the Roman Inquisition. Who headed the charge? Who was persecuted? How?
4. Examine how some of the popes used their office as a front for less than ethical actions.
5. Who was Erasmus?
6. Discuss the legacy of Pope Alexander's children.
7. How did the lack of morality affect the institution of marriage?
8. Examine the corruption of the papacy at this time.
9. Give an example of some of the disagreements of the Christians and alternate religions.
10. What is the basic history of printing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Manchester's explanation of the Dark Ages. Why does the author insist on keeping the name? What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the Dark Ages? List at least three things that made the Dark Ages a difficult time for the average person.
Essay Topic 2
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Luther and Erasmus. What did the men have in common? Why was their "partnership" unusual? Who was the strongest of the two? Whose work stood out the most? Which made the most contributions to the Reformation?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)