|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Borgia was fluent in all of the following languages except for:
2. During which century did the explorer live?
3. Who said "God has given us the papacy?"
4. Two former speakers of the House of Parliament were beheaded over which issue?
5. In which city was the patent introduced?
Short Essay Questions
1. Today the papacy is a lifelong position. This was not the case during the medieval period. What kind of life did a pope live after leaving the Vatican?
2. Who was Erasmus?
3. How did the introduction of new universities affect the population?
4. Manchester says that the clash between humanists and the Vatican was not immediate. Explain.
5. Give an example of some of the disagreements of the Christians and alternate religions.
6. According to the author, what part did Saint Augustine play in the church?
7. Discuss the average person's life.
8. What is the basic history of printing?
9. What does Manchester say about the term "Dark Ages?"
10. What is humanism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tetzel's challenge to Luther. What was the challenge? Why did Tetzel make the challenge? Why was Tetzel sure he would win? What was Luther's reaction? What was the reaction of the people? Who won the battle?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that might have been written by Magellan if he had returned home rather than moving forward to the Spice Islands. Additionally, write a similar essay from Magellan's point of view if he had left the Philippines when he was urged by his crew rather than staying to ensure the conversion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Manchester's explanation of medieval times. What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the time outside issues involving the church? List at least ten things that are representative of medieval times. Cite sources.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)