|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ms. Borgia was fluent in all of the following languages except for:
2. Records show that only ____ out of 100 murderers was ever brought to justice.
3. While literacy became increasingly important, the educational system tended to be ______.
4. On which date was Rome entered?
5. Rodrigo gave up the position to have multiple affairs. How many children did Rodrigo produce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Manchester say about the term "Dark Ages?"
2. Examine a medieval person's sense of self.
3. How did Christianity attempt to infiltrate other religions?
4. How did the arts flourish during this time?
5. Discuss the average person's life.
6. Discuss the overview of Part I, "The Medieval Mind."
7. How was the money given by tithing members of the church most often used?
8. What is humanism?
9. Examine the corruption of the papacy at this time.
10. Examine how some of the popes used their office as a front for less than ethical actions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Manchester's explanation of medieval times. What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the time outside issues involving the church? List at least ten things that are representative of medieval times. Cite sources.
Essay Topic 2
Write a short memoir that might have been written by Magellan. What types of things would Magellan be most proud of in his career and personal lives? What other types of professional work might Magellan have done? Would the memoir include details of his relationships with the natives? How might Magellan describe how he felt before, during and his journey?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Manchester's view of the Renaissance and Reformation. Do you feel that Manchester presented a complete picture? Do you feel that the information was objective? Explain. What areas of the history of the Renaissance and Reformation are most interesting to you? How do you think your life has been affected by these events? Explain.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)