|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Inquisitors kill the mentally ill?
2. The basic model of this idea was created in which year?
3. The Portuguese had been in the islands ___ years previous.
4. ____ Borgia is one of the most notorious vixens of the period.
5. Ms. Borgia was fluent in all of the following languages except for:
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the money given by tithing members of the church most often used?
2. Examine travel during the Renaissance period.
3. Examine the new social civility that came to the forefront.
4. How did the public react to the invention of the printing press?
5. Today the papacy is a lifelong position. This was not the case during the medieval period. What kind of life did a pope live after leaving the Vatican?
6. Examine the corruption of the papacy at this time.
7. What types of events took place during the Dark Ages? What was the standard of living?
8. How was the Renaissance often romanticized?
9. Examine the behavior of the notorious Borgia popes.
10. Discuss the average person's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Manchester's view of the Renaissance and Reformation. Do you feel that Manchester presented a complete picture? Do you feel that the information was objective? Explain. What areas of the history of the Renaissance and Reformation are most interesting to you? How do you think your life has been affected by these events? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Manchester's explanation of the Dark Ages. Why does the author insist on keeping the name? What were the major events of the period? Why is there so little history about the Dark Ages? List at least three things that made the Dark Ages a difficult time for the average person.
Essay Topic 3
Juan Sebastian del Cano was a captain of the Victoria in Magellan's armada. Discuss del Cano. What were his qualifications? What was his relationship to Magellan? How was del Cano received in Spain? What was his main contribution to the voyage?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)