|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the young Borgia's replacement?
2. Latin was the language of choice for all but which of the following?
3. Two former speakers of the House of Parliament were beheaded over which issue?
4. What was the position of Peter Schoffer?
5. The empire's border extended for ____ miles.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is humanism?
2. Discuss Magellan's achievements as an explorer. How was he honored?
3. Examine the behavior of the notorious Borgia popes.
4. How was the money given by tithing members of the church most often used?
5. What does Manchester say about the term "Dark Ages?"
6. Give an example of some of the disagreements of the Christians and alternate religions.
7. Examine how the church conflicted with the monarchy.
8. Who was Erasmus?
9. Discuss the average person's life.
10. Examine the new social civility that came to the forefront.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Martin Luther was an unusual man. His history shows his devotion to the reformation of the church, but there is a great deal about Luther that is not common knowledge, including his beliefs in pagan superstitions. Write an essay about the unusual aspects of Luther's life.
Essay Topic 2
Juan Sebastian del Cano was a captain of the Victoria in Magellan's armada. Discuss del Cano. What were his qualifications? What was his relationship to Magellan? How was del Cano received in Spain? What was his main contribution to the voyage?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography of Magellan. Why is Manchester so fascinated with Magellan? Do you believe the fascination is worthwhile or misplaced? What was Magellan's crowning achievement? What did the voyage prove? What acts did Magellan perform during his career as an explorer that are noteworthy? Be as specific as possible.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)