|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Borgia was the model for the famous book which by author?
2. Which was not a part of the trivium?
3. Among the lost arts was ____.
4. What was the name of the German gunsmith?
5. The pope awarded men for their _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Examine a medieval person's sense of self.
2. Examine how some of the popes used their office as a front for less than ethical actions.
3. Give an example of some of the disagreements of the Christians and alternate religions.
4. Discuss the overview of Part I, "The Medieval Mind."
5. Discuss the legacy of Pope Alexander's children.
6. What types of events took place during the Dark Ages? What was the standard of living?
7. How did the introduction of new universities affect the population?
8. What is humanism?
9. How did Christianity attempt to infiltrate other religions?
10. Discuss Magellan's achievements as an explorer. How was he honored?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography of Magellan. Why is Manchester so fascinated with Magellan? Do you believe the fascination is worthwhile or misplaced? What was Magellan's crowning achievement? What did the voyage prove? What acts did Magellan perform during his career as an explorer that are noteworthy? Be as specific as possible.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Manchester's view of the Renaissance and Reformation. Do you feel that Manchester presented a complete picture? Do you feel that the information was objective? Explain. What areas of the history of the Renaissance and Reformation are most interesting to you? How do you think your life has been affected by these events? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Medici family. Which popes were linked to the Medicis? Why was the family so powerful? How did they become so wealthy and powerful? How did their influence affect the church? How did their influence affect commerce and growth throughout the Renaissance?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)