|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Germans had been martyred for ________.
2. ____ told Luther that his plea to be heard was one always used by heretics.
3. Frederick ____ the Wise was the elector of Saxony.
4. True believers in the movement began to create a distinction between secular writers and _____.
(a) God-fearing writers.
(b) Religious right.
5. The English King _____ VIII remained the most loved sovereign in Rome.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Portuguese discovered a trade route to ____.
2. Magellan's supporters were based in which city?
3. Who painted the Sistine Chapel?
4. Early explorers are referred to as being ____ and careful.
5. Leaflets appealed to German _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the outcome of Luther's trial?
2. What are some of the regions that were discovered around this time?
3. Examine the position of Henry VIII at this time.
4. How did the Vatican respond to the selling of indulgences?
5. Luther was not arrested during his appeal. What court proceeding soon followed?
6. How did the Catholics respond to Protestants and other heretics? Catholics urged reforms to stop people leaving the church for Protestantism. They fought against the Protestants, referring to them as heretics. The Church would use military and political action as its primary means. Every aspect of Protestantism would be condemned in bulls, but the rebel faiths did well. Heresy would not be tolerated on pain of death.
7. How did the new geography affect the Church? How was Magellan related to this issue?
8. How did Magellan manage to raise enough funds for the expedition? Who supported Magellan?
9. Examine the basic history of Magellan.
10. What was the papal response to Luther's declarations? Who was involved?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)