|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Meg decide to be nicer towards Mr. Jenkins?
2. What is it that Mr. Jenkins doesn't understand about the deepened farae?
3. Why can't Progo kythe with Jenkins?
4. How long does an Echthros tend to appear as a human body they've used?
5. What is the dance of the little farandolae doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Meg tell Jenkins about when she first kythes with him and how does he feel about it?
2. What is deepening, how does it feel and why do some avoid it?
3. What does Progo tell Meg about the farandolae and how they live and move?
4. How do Calvin, Meg and Jenkins get the little farandolae to deepen?
5. What does Mr. Jenkins think is happening to him and what does Blajeny say is the truth?
6. What happens to Mr. Jenkins in the schoolyard after he faints?
7. What does the group listen to in the mitochondria?
8. Why does Calvin tell Jenkins about the biologist and Calvin's bean plants?
9. What does Jenkins say about the Deepened farae and communication?
10. What does Meg do after Progo Xes himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stars get lonely if no one knows them by name, the teacher explains. Confused, Meg asks him what a namer does. The cherubim replies that he memorized the star names to make the stars be more themselves, individual and unique.
1. What do you think this statement means?
2. If you were alone in a large crowd of people and felt isolated, how would you feel if someone suddenly called out your name?
3. Have you ever had someone call you by the wrong name, such as one of your sibling names? If so, how did it feel? If not, how do you think you would feel if someone you met kept calling you by the wrong name?
Essay Topic 2
Blajeny explains that some things can only be understood with one's heart or intuition, not with one's logical mind.
1. What do you think is meant by this statement? Use examples from the book to support your opinion.
2. Explain a situation you handled based on intuition or a problem you solved.
3. Do you think problem solving works best intuitively or logically? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The soul represents the best part of a man's nature, and Meg is directed to recognize and love Jenkins' soul even if she deplores his behavior or personality. This concept also focuses on spiritual morality, referring to the Christian admonition to love thy enemy, or love thy neighbor as thyself. However, most religions and spiritual practices preach this concept as well, and it is, at its core, a humanist concept, whether connected to religion or not. Despite the book's use of Christian mythology, the precepts it teaches are universal.
1. Do you think you could love a person while deploring his/her behavior? Why or why not?
2. How do you think the world would change if everyone was able to love a person's soul?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)