|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks to Meg in the garden?
2. What does Blajeny say about Charles' illness?
3. How long has Charles been in school?
4. What does Blajeny give the children for the evening and the next day?
5. Where do Meg and Progo go when they meet after she has breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Progo tell Meg he will do if they fail the test?
2. What does Progo say is how the Echthroi create the comic rips?
3. What does Mrs. Murry say their father is working on and what do the twins say to that?
4. What assignments has Blajeny given the children?
5. What does Blajeny want with the children and why?
6. What does Progo answer when Meg asks him about failing the test?
7. Where does Progo decide to take Meg to show her what the Echthroi are and why?
8. What happens when Charles and Meg get to the garden and there are no dragons?
9. What bothers Meg about a phone call during dinner?
10. In the school yard with the three Jenkinses and Meg, how does Charles look at them and what does Louise do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The stars get lonely if no one knows them by name, the teacher explains. Confused, Meg asks him what a namer does. The cherubim replies that he memorized the star names to make the stars be more themselves, individual and unique.
1. What do you think this statement means?
2. If you were alone in a large crowd of people and felt isolated, how would you feel if someone suddenly called out your name?
3. Have you ever had someone call you by the wrong name, such as one of your sibling names? If so, how did it feel? If not, how do you think you would feel if someone you met kept calling you by the wrong name?
Essay Topic 2
This chapter is a metaphor for the principle of turning the other cheek, or continuing to love even after one has been hurt.
1. How does turning the other cheek relate to Meg's fear and behavior after she was caught by one of the Echthros-Jenkins in Yadah?
2. Describe an incident in your life or someone you know when turning the other cheek helped a situation or not turning the cheek worsened one.
3. Describe a situation, imaginary if you like, in which you would be unwilling to turn the other cheek.
Essay Topic 3
Calvin wonders if Charles would be better off at a school in the city where the students are used to greater diversity.
1. Do you think Charles would be better off in a larger school? Why or why not?
2. What do you think Calvin means by greater diversity?
3. If you attend a large school explain what you like or dislike about it. If you came from a smaller school explain the same.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)